• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nintendo Switch Visor! Play comfortably from your bed!

ug7ujcsad4z4xhyheswv.jpg

So it has finally come to pass...

lol i remember this hoax

Is this your product, OP? I don't want to offend you of course, but that thing doesn't look that useful to me. Pretty sure you'd get neck pain at some point?

edit: GAF and YT nick is the same so I guess it's yours. Good luck with it anyway.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Is this your design? The guy in the picture and your avatar look similar.

If it is, you should spruce up the design a bit, but as always function over looks!

bosh

For $29.99 with good material and finish, it'll sell at least 5,000 units.

Taking preorders as we speak, exclusive to GAFStore.

I think you mean $39.99, you always need to add the $10 Switch convince tax fee. :)

Cool post though OP, I haven't personally needed something like this but looking from the comments people like it. Does it cause neck strain? Switch isn't heavy but comparing it to a VR unit which weight is evenly distributed thats the only negative thing I could possible see about this which is probably front heavy from the switch.

Phawx

Very nice, thanks for sharing. I'd imagine the Iq of a 720p screen will look horrible that close though.

It's actually not too bad. Also the screen is pretty far away from my face. Near 25cm

I think you mean $39.99, you always need to add the $10 Switch convince tax fee. :)

Cool post though OP, I haven't personally needed something like this but looking from the comments people like it. Does it cause neck strain? Switch isn't heavy but comparing it to a VR unit which weight is evenly distributed thats the only negative thing I could possible see about this which is probably front heavy from the switch.

I couldn't comment on long term use as I've just literally finished making it :D

Having said that using it for 30 mins before taking it off and going to sleep, I didn't feel any fatigue.

Phawx

I salute the OP's courage in publishing pictures of himself with high meme/photoshop potential.

You know, while it wouldn't be my preferred meme to be in, I'd still be happy with it.

Get to check that off the ol bucket list.

For those saying it's bad for your eyes, it's no worse than staring at your phone or VR. In fact, it doesn't seem like the screen is as close as a VR product.
VR headsets have lenses that make you essentially focus at infinity, thus preventing your eyes from getting strained. Here you have the screen strapped to your face and you have to focus on it, and you can't look away, so it's going to wreck your eyes.

Phawx

VR headsets have lenses that make you essentially focus at infinity, thus preventing your eyes from getting strained. Here you have the screen strapped to your face and you have to focus on it, and you can't look away, so it's going to wreck your eyes.

I'll have to be mindful of this, currently I feel no strain or fatigue when using the visor as it's actually considerably far away from my face. But perhaps it's damaging despite the fact I don't feel any strain or fatigue?

Edit: Just read a thing it might be an issue with having your eye constantly re-focusing. But all of the other symptoms like dry eye, fatigue, head ache I've yet to experience.

Not that I won't but the first round I didn't feel anything.

Still, something to be mindful of

City 17

It might not be better than those gooseneck mounts overall for most people but still the idea is neat and well done, being able to turn your head/body without worrying about the relative angle while playing split-JC (most comfortable control method for me) is pretty cool.

Azriell

This is pretty cool. I have never 3d printed anything so I don't know much about how size limitations or anything, but I'm wondering if it's possible to put rails on the sides of where the Switch goes, so that it can't slip too far down or fall backwards out of the unit. Even if it didn't click into place, it would stop motion from all directions except for up.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

I'll have to be mindful of this, currently I feel no strain or fatigue when using the visor as it's actually considerably far away from my face. But perhaps it's damaging despite the fact I don't feel any strain or fatigue?

Edit: Just read a thing it might be an issue with having your eye constantly re-focusing. But all of the other symptoms like dry eye, fatigue, head ache I've yet to experience.

Not that I won't but the first round I didn't feel anything.

Still, something to be mindful of

Some more about that:
http://doc-ok.org/?p=1360

You wouldn't be able to use VR lenses for this one since it's further away, but I wonder if there are some generic lenses out there you could use for this purpose. With the panel further away compared to VR, you wouldn't need the compensation for chromatic aberration that's built into the renderer for VR, so you might be able to get the effect of playing on a huge screen just by adding the right lenses. You'd need a way to mount the lenses to adjust IPD, though.

This is great if you're incredibly short-sighted... Totally useless otherwise. Even if you are short-sighted it still isn't healthy to have that size of a screen 25cm from your face.

Pandy

This is great if you're incredibly short-sighted... Totally useless otherwise. Even if you are short-sighted it still isn't healthy to have that size of a screen 25cm from your face.
Tell that to every person I see staring at their mobile phone for hours a day (including me).

Good job, OP. My Switch is basically always used on my TV, but I can think of a few situations that this might come in handy, and would be preferred to the goose-neck stand because of the way I have my bedroom laid out. I look forward to Nintendo releasing basically what you've done here with a Virtual Boy casing as a standard accessory for Switch 2. :)

I really am on the fence of buying one of those mount arms to play in bed, but I'm afraid my GF would roast me for going way to far lol. Still a neat headset, minus the blindness.

Phu

Banned
I've never thought about lying in bed and holding a handheld up. I've always just rested my hands on my legs or a pillow or something. In fact, playing in bed while lying flat on my back looking straight up sounds insane.

tebunker

Banned
Op do you sleep on an inflatable mattress on the floor? I think you should 3d print your ass a bed frame and go get a mattress first...

I mean, i guess it's cool if that's what you want, but I think others have shown a little more interesting ideas using the extendable screen arms.

Who's gonna be the first to mount their switch to a selfie stick?

Top Bottom