• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Speaking of Dunkirk, looks like Nolan has the strongest fanbase, I'm talking in terms of BO openings. I would imagine if this was Speilberg joint it would open 10-20M less, kind of like Warhorse. Even lord Cameron had to rely on shiny blue things CGI marvel with 3D "hook" and his 10+ year hiatus after a monster like Titanic still netted him only a 70M opening, given similar stakes would a Cameron directed Dunkirk open to 50M? I'm just playing with hypotheticals.

I haven't watched Dunkirk because none of the trailers I've seen so far have sold me on the movie and "cuz Nolan" isn't enough to drag me to the theatres especially since I have a newborn now.

A few months ago I was having a discussion with Phonciple, 3N16MA & Ghaleon and predicted that this would open at 30-40M, it's amusing in hindsight.
I just had a huge debate on Nolan's potential fan base and box office power and people were like, nah, Cameron and Tarantino can also deliver consistent box office.

I honestly don't think there is any director currently in Hollywood with the same rabid fan base and box office potential as Nolan, especially worldeide.

If Cameron made Dunkirk, you bet he would try to rely on some movie gimmick. 4D, 120 FPS or some other shit.

To get it out of the way (because the response is coming) it can be argued that 70mm is Nolan's "gimmick."

It isn't just that it's Nolan. It's that Nolan shot it on 70mm and is currently touring the world telling everyone why you need to stop watching shit on your phone and get with the program.

To be clear, I'm not really agreeing with the notion that "70mm" is his gimmick, but it's also a big part of the marketing and the theatrical presentation is part of the film's appeal, so suggesting that he's doing it without the help of something akin to "4d 120fps" tech is a little disingenuous.

Chris Nolan engenders goodwill in an audience, yes. And audiences will show up for the guy. But as we just saw with Tarantino and Hateful Eight - being a name, and even having a gimmick (70mm roadshows!) only count for so much if you don't deliver as a storyteller.

Tarantino made his worst since Death Proof and the spectacle of his presentation could only carry his ugly (pretty) (big) little movie so far.

Christopher Nolan

Martian Manhunter.

Justin Lin
Because it's his league

Power Girl

Iron Giant

Manhunter

John McClane.

These are all correct. It's going to be like Clue where each theater gets a different ending.

They had to take that ending out because WB wants Justice League to make money.

snap

Banned
man how cool would it be if they brought supes back and then post credits or right before credits stinger it's supes all alone and he just shape shifts into martian manhunter and it's never addressed again

kswiston

Nolan makes a film every 2-3 years. Cameron has made 2 in the past 20 years. I don't really think they are worth comparing.

Of the directors who aren't falling behind Terrence Malick in productivity, I don't think anyone is on Nolan's level. Tarantino most definitely gets asses in seats, but his upper end has been Nolan's lower end since TDK.

Shauni

man how cool would it be if they brought supes back and then post credits or right before credits stinger it's supes all alone and he just shape shifts into martian manhunter and it's never addressed again

Be better if he morphed into The Rock

Nolan makes a film every 2-3 years. Cameron has made 2 in the past 20 years. I don't really think they are worth comparing.

Of the directors who aren't falling behind Terrence Malick in productivity, I don't think anyone is on Nolan's level. Tarantino most definitely gets asses in seats, but his upper end has been Nolan's lower end since TDK.
This sounds kinky tbh.

wachie

To get it out of the way (because the response is coming) it can be argued that 70mm is Nolan's "gimmick."

It isn't just that it's Nolan. It's that Nolan shot it on 70mm and is currently touring the world telling everyone why you need to stop watching shit on your phone and get with the program.

To be clear, I'm not really agreeing with the notion that "70mm" is his gimmick, but it's also a big part of the marketing and the theatrical presentation is part of the film's appeal, so suggesting that he's doing it without the help of something akin to "4d 120fps" tech is a little disingenuous.

Chris Nolan engenders goodwill in an audience, yes. And audiences will show up for the guy. But as we just saw with Tarantino and Hateful Eight - being a name, and even having a gimmick (70mm roadshows!) only count for so much if you don't deliver as a storyteller.

Tarantino made his worst since Death Proof and the spectacle of his presentation could only carry his ugly (pretty) (big) little movie so far.
You're right in a sense.

But the example that flies against this is Inception. If you argue that Leo was the "gimmick" or the draw then prior to this all of Leo's films were in the 10-40M OW range and none had breached 300M WW.

To be honest, even a film like Interstellar grossed almost 700M WW. It's such a polarizing film and even though I'm one of the few that liked it, it's not a film for the masses - barely anything happens in the film (save for one sequence) and the rest of it is just mumbo-jumbo.
I just had a huge debate on Nolan's potential fan base and box office power and people were like, nah, Cameron and Tarantino can also deliver consistent box office.

I honestly don't think there is any director currently in Hollywood with the same rabid fan base and box office potential as Nolan, especially worldeide.

If Cameron made Dunkirk, you bet he would try to rely on some movie gimmick. 4D, 120 FPS or some other shit.
I guess you beat me to this discussion, I'm in full agreement with you there.

And is pretty much always on time and at or under budget.

I get why some people don't love his stuff, but he's basically a studio's dream in terms of director. Its easy to see why the dude basically gets a free ride to do whatever the hell he wants.

wachie

I get why some people don't love his stuff, but he's basically a studio's dream in terms of director. Its easy to see why the dude basically gets a free ride to do whatever the hell he wants.
In terms of pull within the studio, a lot of directors have it and that's difficult to gauge since we don't know their payout, exact budgets, script or idea approvals/rejections etc.

In terms of studio pull I think Cameron > Spielberg > Nolan > Jackson > Russo Bros > Favreau > Verbinski > Bay > Wachowskis

kswiston

In terms of pull within the studio, a lot of directors have it and that's difficult to gauge since we don't know their payout, exact budgets, script or idea approvals/rejections etc.

In terms of studio pull I think Cameron > Spielberg > Nolan > Jackson > Russo Bros > Favreau > Verbinski > Bay > Wachowskis

I would put Spielberg above Cameron. Spielberg has his fingers in a ton of pies, even if he hasn't had a huge hit behind the camera in several years.

Nolan has tried his hands at a lot of different genres so you will be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't like atleast like one of his movie.

Wait hold up, what is Peter Jackson up to these days?

wachie

I would put Spielberg above Cameron. Spielberg has his fingers in a ton of pies, even if he hasn't had a huge hit behind the camera in several years.
I bet Spielberg can't get a 400M budget approved from a studio without putting some of his IPs on the line. Of course he could finance it himself if he wanted to but thats not the question here.

Having to go into emergency mode on Hobbit, crank out a full TRILOGY in emergency mode, and then watch as people more or less shrugged at it at best has to fuckin hurt.

And that's following up the fact Kong didn't do quite what he wanted, and Lovely Bones ate shit?

He's probably weighing whether or not he wants to even do this shit anytime soon.

kswiston

I bet Spielberg can't get a 400M budget approved from a studio without putting some of his IPs on the line. Of course he could finance it himself if he wanted to but thats not the question here.

Spielberg can do whatever he wants, including your hypothetical $400M film. With the number of people who owe him favors by this point, how would he fail to secure financing?
This is a world where people gave Luc Besson $200M+ do a film about his favorite boyhood comic book.

Spielberg is a pretty conservative filmmaker though. None of his films were breaking budget barriers when they released.

Spielberg can do whatever he wants, including your hypothetical $400M film. With the number of people who owe him favors by this point, how would he fail to secure financing?
This is a world where people gave Luc Besson $200M+ do a film about his favorite boyhood comic book.

Spielberg is a pretty conservative filmmaker though. None of his films were breaking budget barriers when they released.
Yeah, Spielberg can stretch the money further than most. He's a wizard that way.

wachie

That'd be giving up a lot of IOUs there. Cameron doesn't even need to do that with his track record.

3N16MA

Banned
Just this year we have seen studios give directors (no where near Spielberg's pedigree) decent budgets to make Monster Trucks and King Arthur. Spielberg is going to get his money if he has mega blockbuster film he wants to make.

Prompto

Banned
Having to go into emergency mode on Hobbit, crank out a full TRILOGY in emergency mode, and then watch as people more or less shrugged at it at best has to fuckin hurt.

And that's following up the fact Kong didn't do quite what he wanted, and Lovely Bones ate shit?

He's probably weighing whether or not he wants to even do this shit anytime soon.
tejy5lM.gif

He looked like he was always on the verge of a panic attack in the Hobbit behind the scenes stuff.

Yeah I don't see him directing anything for a while.

Nev

Banned
The way Marvel is treating Spider-Man is just embarrassing. It's by far their biggest character and the only one who can compete with Superman and Batman yet they're treating him like some B-tier who needs RDJ to be relevant.

I mean at this point into the MCU there weren't many ways to introduce him but it certainly could've been better.

Old Spider-Man Tobey was the only way

Toa TAK

Banned
Just this year we have seen studios give directors (no where near Spielberg's pedigree) decent budgets to make Monster Trucks and King Arthur. Spielberg is going to get his money if he has mega blockbuster film he wants to make.
Why does he want to do RPO, anyways? I'm indifferent to the source material since I didn't read the book. But I'm curious.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Spielberg has always been something of a gamer.

His son is a massive gamer and I remember seeing him in one of the Ubisoft videos behind the scenes (I can't remember what game but I know he works there or did).

EGM1966

Actually Close Encounters and 1941 both had budget concerns and he made Raiders in a much more controlled way to show he could stick to budget.

Since a Raiders though IIRC he essentially has been an on time/budget director but he definitely had budget issues earlier in his career after Jaws gave him free hand budget wise.

Both Spielberg and Cameron would likely get near enough any budget they wanted so trying to rank themselves kind of pointless I think (to those trying): both have huge clout built on box office performance and influence.

Nolan's almost certainly next in line after them. It's worth remembering while some directors get big budgets for certain franchises - say MCU films or a Transformers films - they're unlikely to find themselves able to get huge funding outside those for any individual stuff they might want to make like Spielberg/Cameron/Nolan could.

Alrus

I'm sad that we'll never get a Tintin movie about the Crystal Balls stuff.

The Hobbit movies still made a fuckton of money so I doubt he's really sad about them. Lovely Bones bombing and King Kong's reception being tepid probably hurt him indeed though.

overcast

Considering I'm in Europe and away from theaters for a few weeks the only movies I'm rooting for are Baby Driver and Apes.

Unfortunately Apes cratered harddd. Wonder where the franchise goes. Definitely like Star Trek beyond as many had mentioned. I don't think it's bad word of mouth just never had interest established and didn't find any footing in a crowded season. Not sure it would have done much better in any window.

Baby Driver!! Maybe crawl to 100 million? Please? The drops have been terrific.

Jackson got the short end of the stick when Del Toro bailed at the last second to go make another movie and then promptly didn't make another movie

Spielberg basically just does whatever he wants. If he wanted Tintin 2 he'd get it. He did some mid-level stuff, made BFG so Disney would leave him alone, now he's chilling with WB

Top Bottom