• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd BO 07•21-23•17 - Slam Dunk' for Nolan, Apes escape, not rough Girl's Trip, Luc

Still kinda want to see valerian out of morbid curiosity. I have no idea how Luc Besson got a budget like that.

Also Nolan still delivering

jtb

Banned
Don't think it has anything to do with Apes being smart (and it ain't even that smart). It doesn't live up to the second movie and has a really poorly paced second half which makes recommending it to other people a tall task in the sea of current quality flicks.

The reboots are smarter than any other blockbuster I can think of in recent memory. That doesn't mean they're necessarily smart, since we're setting the bar about as low as you possibly could.

The reboots are smarter than any other blockbuster I can think of in recent memory. That doesn't mean they're necessarily smart, since we're setting the bar about as low as you possibly could.

I think the first two are smart movies relatively. I don't think the third one is. Combined with the fairly deceptive title, poor pacing in the second half and just generally not being remotely as good as either of the first two movies, to me it's fairly clear why it's not doing so well legs wise. It just isn't an interesting summer blockbuster to watch compared to the other stuff out there. Which is crazy for me to say because Dawn in theatres was fucking amazing. But I had dudes walk out in the second half of War like I've never seen before in my theater because so many people were bored.

Schlorgan

giphy.gif
Now I have to wonder how Maguire coming back would do.

I haven't seen a Spider-Man movie since 3.

Dunkirk is kind of a motherfucker.

My 1:30pm Sunday screening (which sold out) had a lot of people leaving the theater looking/feeling/sounding worn the fuck out.

My 1:30pm Sunday screening (which sold out) had a lot of people leaving the theater looking/feeling/sounding worn the fuck out.

Same situation at my theater. I love it but man is it a tiring movie. My neck was hurting cause I don't think I moved at all.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Middle-aged Spider-Man movie with Tobey would make six billion dollars.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

Damn. Fascinating. I can't remember the last time I felt that way at the movies. Fury Road, maybe. But I don't think a bunch of other people seemed to feel similarly afterward. Then again, that's probably because there weren't a bunch of other people.

Fury Road I left exhausted but exhilarated

Dunkirk was just sorta like... unclenching? Like, finally relaxing your jaw/hands/glutes after realizing the last 70min you've been increasingly tensing up.

This isn't as good as Fury Road, at all. But it's still really fucking effective.

I...kinda want that to be honest...Tobey might be willing but would Andrew forgive Sony for ditching him for Tom?

If anything, it would be the other way around (Sony forgiving Andrew). IIRC, he straight up refused to do some marketing for them (like didn't show up to an event) around the Olympics and that was their last straw with him. That being said, money can make people forgive a lot of things.

Edit: Found it. Basically, he was mad a Sony (but well before they signed the Marvel deal and replaced him with Holland), Sony was mad at him, things didn't end well.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Fury Road I left exhausted but exhilarated

Dunkirk was just sorta like... unclenching? Like, finally relaxing your jaw/hands/glutes after realizing the last 70min you've been increasingly tensing up.

This isn't as good as Fury Road, at all. But it's still really fucking effective.

Interesting stuff. I'll see it sometime this week. And I'll be sure to do yoga beforehand. And I don't do yoga.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Honestly it could really work,
1. Nostalgia
2. It really helps with the potential of that "fatigue" as it could be different to not only every adaptation of Spiderman but superhero movies in general.

Yup. It's actually a much stronger marketing hook than "He's in high school... for the third time!"

Chamber

love on your sleeve
As if Marvel would ever allow you to get a middle aged Peter on the silver screen. You'll take your high school Peter Parker movies and that's that.

A Homecoming 2 teaser ending with Tobey gurning into the camera and mumbling a line would be the funniest thing in the world.

In a perfect world Homecoming's credit scene should be.
Spiderman swinging through NYC as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbnqguKCgX8 plays, eventually landing on a roof he starts to talk to someone about something important.
The camera then pans over to reveal SpiderGwen.

bam, Sony you got your big teamup movie.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Spidey's about to hit anywhere from $700-800 worldwide and you would think it's bombing harder than Transformers 5 based off this thread.

Yeah I'm a little lost on what's going on. By the way people are talking they're acting like it won't reach 500 million or something.

In a perfect world Homecoming's credit scene should be.
Spiderman swinging through NYC as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbnqguKCgX8 plays, eventually landing on a roof he starts to talk to someone about something important.
The camera then pans over to reveal SpiderGwen.

That only works if you're introducing multiple universes. And Sony isn't going to do that before Marvel does, and Marvel hasn't said they're doing that yet.

That only works if you're introducing multiple universes. And Sony isn't going to do that before Marvel does, and Marvel hasn't said they're doing that yet.

Sony already has multiple universes, it would using the reboots to their advantage.

Tobey from the original, Emma from Amazing, Holland from Homecoming and maybe a bit of Miles from the animated movie and then a few new characters.

Random Human

Middle age Tobey Spider-Man vs. James Franco Green Goblin mentoring Dane Dehaan Green Goblin. It prints money.

kswiston

Given that it's still Sunday, and we're almost at 600 posts, I take it that we're going to cruise past 1k posts pretty easily again this week. Mostly on topic so far as well!

I took my daughter to see Despicable Me 3 yesterday because I needed to keep her out of the house while my wife did a garage sale to clear out some of the stuff we aren't bringing on the move.

I have not seen any of the other Despicable Me films, but this one was pretty terrible. Everything I dislike in children's films amped up to 11. My daughter thought it was great though. One of the few movies that she didn't ask me if it was over yet at least once. Go figure.

Sony already has multiple universes, it would using the reboots to their advantage.

Tobey from the original, Emma from Amazing, Holland from Homecoming and maybe a bit of Miles from the animated movie and then a few new characters.

I'm saying that like the TV universe, the main goal of Sony is basically to not contradict the Feige and the MCU. It's why they insist on making a Venom movie without Spider-Man instead of just using another one. Sony can use the universes to their advantage, but won't do it until they can do it with the blessing of Feige.

Knowing Sony, who expected Men In Black 3 to make a billion dollars, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they were expecting Civil War or Iron Man 3 money from this.

Perlmutter's prediction in 2014 that he wrote Lynton - and Lynton forwarded to someone else - was 750MM for the 1st one, 1B for the 2nd, ad 1.25B for the 3rd.

Top Bottom