• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Neoxon

onlineWorld_2D00_Matchmaking_2D002800_1_29005F00_10_5F00_23_5F00_17.jpg

Showed this and the others to a friend of mine, and he made a very good point.

Why isn't it something like "A Huge Power Level Approaches!" or the like?
Power levels stopped mattering a long time ago. Plus you have Yamcha fighting the likes of Majin Buu (& likely Beerus), so all bets are off.

Pompadour

Shitting on Yamcha will always get me to smile, but cmon, he's stronger than Nappa and the Gforce.

Yeah, Earth's jobbers usually get whatever training Goku got in the previous saga to bump them up a little so Yamcha got the King Kai training that wrecked Nappa.

Power levels stopped mattering a long time ago. Plus you have Yamcha fighting the likes of Majin Buu (& likely Beerus), so all bets are off.

Ranked Points should just be called Power Level.

I joked about it earlier but I legit think Toriyama(or at least someone working on Dragon Ball) regrets power levels being a thing and they’re trying to brush them under the rug.

TreIII

It still fits the overall series aesthetic better than a Great Value rip off of SF2's "Here Comes A New Challenger".

Super DBZ having scouters exploding was another such example of presentation that fit the series, and that was a game that had a made up (yet completely awesome) Chi Chi as a fighter.

I joked about it earlier but I legit think Toriyama(or at least someone working on Dragon Ball) regrets power levels being a thing and they're trying to brush them under the rug.

I always thought the power levels discussions is a bunch of bs. The only reason scouters were introduced IMO is because Vegeta and folks couldn't sense Ki like the Z warriors.

more power, more transformations, stronger foes = Good.

cordy

Banned
Nappa and Ginyu are not only 2 of the best choices, they're some of the most predictable choices to full out Z. I mean I'm still surprised a lot didn't put them on their predictions. Me and others had to literally explain why they'd be in the game and how they'd play. Thankfully ASW is having them play exactly like many of us predicted. They look pretty fun.

Tsunamo

I always was a sucker for Ultimate Battle 22's artist. Don't think i've seen their art in other places, but the way they draw Goku is fantastic.
34736_front.jpg

Also I was super skeptical about Ginyu on his own, but him being the whole Ginyu Forces range of attacks will be so fun. Arc really know how to make characters that I wouldn't otherwise be interested in look really fun to play as.
onlineWorld_2D00_Matchmaking_2D002800_1_29005F00_10_5F00_23_5F00_17.jpg

Showed this and the others to a friend of mine, and he made a very good point.

Why isn't it something like "A Huge Power Level Approaches!" or the like?
I think what they have currently fits well with both Dragon Ball games and Fighting games.

Power levels are kinda irrelevant now anyway for the most part.

Balfour

Do not hate on Lord Yamcha, he struck out Botamo and Cabba in baseball

Plus we all know the Yamcha from his spin off manga is the real series canon.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I always was a sucker for Ultimate Battle 22's artist. Don't think i've seen their art in other places, but the way they draw Goku is fantastic.
34736_front.jpg

Agreed, to me that was the look of Dragon Ball, at least in anime form

It still fits the overall series aesthetic better than a Great Value rip off of SF2's "Here Comes A New Challenger".

Super DBZ having scouters exploding was another such example of presentation that fit the series, and that was a game that had a made up (yet completely awesome) Chi Chi as a fighter.

You always knew it was about to get real when the opponent's BP was too high to measure in Super DBZ. Damn, that game was so awesome. I still remember how cool it was to have Namek become unstable after on the next (or 3rd) round.

While there was no ending, I like how Cell exploded at the Cell Games.

I'm guessing that image is Fight Request or 2P pressing start.

mas8705

So after reading the story mode, part of me wonders if DBFZ will be in the same vein of context as a certain DB Manga: The Case of Being Reincarnated as Yamcha.

It makes sense considering that apparently you have this unknown individual who apparently is getting placed in other DB character's bodies. It almost makes me want to see a "special story mode" where you are placed into the body of everyone's favorite Lord and Savior: Hercule Satan!

I wonder if we could have a fun "What if" of: "The Case of Being Reincarnated as Hercule" and make it in the same sense of how we could actually see Hercule raise up to be one of the strongest humans in the world of Dragon Ball (and for kicks, make it so that
the other person who also got reincarnated could be someone like Krillin or Yamcha again. Don't think having Chiaotzu being the villain twice would work
).

The gameplay footage for Nappa and Ginyu can't come soon enough...

Ferr986

34736_front.jpg

Also I was super skeptical about Ginyu on his own, but him being the whole Ginyu Forces range of attacks will be so fun. Arc really know how to make characters that I wouldn't otherwise be interested in look really fun to play as.I think what they have currently fits well with both Dragon Ball games and Fighting games.

Power levels are kinda irrelevant now anyway for the most part.

This reminds me.... FUUUCCKK whoever was the responsable of not bringing Shinbutoden to the West, everyone with a PSX with this game while I had nothing (and the worse part, Shinbutoden was way better than Battle 22).

Way better and Hercule had his own special story.

I thought Ultimate Battle 22 was going to be the best game based on how the cover looked.

Once I put it in the console.......

Nappa and Ginyu are not only 2 of the best choices, they're some of the most predictable choices to full out Z. I mean I'm still surprised a lot didn't put them on their predictions. Me and others had to literally explain why they'd be in the game and how they'd play. Thankfully ASW is having them play exactly like many of us predicted. They look pretty fun.

Like a shouldn't be shocked by the way Nappa and Ginyu but I'm glad then ended up exactly how I thought they would. Perhaps Black and Zamasu are next in that regard

cordy

Banned
This whole thing makes me wonder how Gotenks, U. Gohan and Kid Buu will play. Remember the interview where the producer stated that the initial 6 characters were chosen to be shown first due to the fact that their fighting styles were very standard in terms of moves and movement? Now we see these new characters announced it just makes you wonder how they'll play.

I'd love if Kid Buu had some type of rage mechanic or hell even Broly. The longer Broly's in the fight the strong he becomes who knows. Actually that would work for Black as well.

[/b]
Like a shouldn't be shocked by the way Nappa and Ginyu but I'm glad then ended up exactly how I thought they would. Perhaps Black and Zamasu are next in that regard

Yeah exactly, it's pretty great to see them being very creative. In Black's case I'd love a mechanic where the lower his health gets the harder he attacks.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
This whole thing makes me wonder how Gotenks, U. Gohan and Kid Buu will play. Remember the interview where the producer stated that the initial 6 characters were chosen to be shown first due to the fact that their fighting styles were very standard in terms of moves and movement? Now we see these new characters announced it just makes you wonder how they'll play.

I'd love if Kid Buu had some type of rage mechanic or hell even Broly. The longer Broly's in the fight the strong he becomes who knows. Actually that would work for Black as well.

Yeah exactly, it's pretty great to see them being very creative. In Black's case I'd love a mechanic where the lower his health gets the harder he attacks.

Gotenks is atleast easy to see a unique moveset for with the kamikaze ghosts and stuff.

It is smart for them to bring Ginyu and Nappa so they could also introduce the Ginyu force and Saibamen as assist

Cell should've had Cell Juniors as assists

ryushe

Nappa, yeah after King Kai he could take him. Ginyu Force though? Nah, very doubtful. That shit in the anime where they fought them was filler.

Yeah, Earth's jobbers usually get whatever training Goku got in the previous saga to bump them up a little so Yamcha got the King Kai training that wrecked Nappa.

Ranked Points should just be called Power Level.

I mean my first exposure to Yamcha was in DB so I got love for the guy... but he ain't stronger.

I honestly don't think his afterlife King Kai training amounted to much.

Probably on par with or past Nappa, but that's all I can imagine.
Like I said before, I'm game for a good Yamcha thrashing, but C'mon guys, he's definitely more powerful than the Captain Ginyu and the Ginyu Force. Hell, with the help of Tenshinhan, he even held his own (kind of) against Cell Jr. when Goku as SSJ couldn't.
latest

I do still wish Yamcha was a package deal with Tenshin the same way 17 is with 18.

Lulubop

Like I said before, I'm game for a good Yamcha thrashing, but C'mon guys, he's definitely more powerful than the Captain Ginyu and the Ginyu Force. Hell, with the help of Tenshinhan, he even held his own (kind of) against Cell Jr. when Goku as SSJ couldn't.
latest

I do still wish Yamcha was a package deal with Tenshin the same way 17 is with 18.

Why? They're fresh enough to be their own characters, Tien especially. They're not inherently linked together either.

DrDogg

What's interesting for me is that I don't know who I'm going to main because I need to play everyone, but I know exactly who I *don't* want to play, just based on how much I dislike the character.

Frieza... no. I will never use Frieza even though he was one of the best characters in the beta. Same with Cell. Not going to touch him.

It's frustrating that I can't pick my team yet, but also very interesting to me since this really doesn't happen with other fighters unless I'm just in a character crisis.

I feel like I'm going to have at least three or four different teams and that's a great feeling four months out without the entire roster revealed.

Uzumaki Goku

Y'know it's kinda weird how the dub and sub line up sometimes. Last week Hit gets eliminated and this week in the dub he's going up against Vegeta.

Puruzi

Banned
What's interesting for me is that I don't know who I'm going to main because I need to play everyone, but I know exactly who I *don't* want to play, just based on how much I dislike the character.

Frieza... no. I will never use Frieza even though he was one of the best characters in the beta. Same with Cell. Not going to touch him.

It's frustrating that I can't pick my team yet, but also very interesting to me since this really doesn't happen with other fighters unless I'm just in a character crisis.

I feel like I'm going to have at least three or four different teams and that's a great feeling four months out without the entire roster revealed.

Why do you dislike Frieza? I don't even really like Z that much and he killed my boy Krillin but I still think Frieza's a pretty dope villain.

He's also super fun to play from the games i had at NYCC

latest

This makes no sense at all. The hell?

DrDogg

Why do you dislike Frieza? I don't even really like Z that much and he killed my boy Krillin but I still think Frieza's a pretty dope villain.

He's also super fun to play from the games i had at NYCC

I think he's a great villain, but I just don't like villains in general in Dragon Ball. The only villain I like in DBZ is Vegeta (who isn't a villain anymore). In Super I like Hit and Beerus who are also not really villains anymore.

That's what I find really interesting though. I know Frieza is fun to play and a good character, but because he's Frieza I won't play him. I don't do that with any other fighting games.

Puruzi

Banned
I think he's a great villain, but I just don't like villains in general in Dragon Ball. The only villain I like in DBZ is Vegeta (who isn't a villain anymore). In Super I like Hit and Beerus who are also not really villains anymore.

That's what I find really interesting though. I know Frieza is fun to play and a good character, but because he's Frieza I won't play him. I don't do that with any other fighting games.

Hmm, well alright then if that's how you feel about it lol

Daingurse

latest

That image you posted is filler too. Yamcha and Tien couldn't do anything against the Cell Jrs. I have no confidence in Yamcha taking on the Ginyu Force.

I'm going to use this thread as a safe haven for now

Not sure about the Ultimate Edition yet, I think I need to see those 8 characters and the pricing for them w/o the UE before I decide

TDLink

$35 is way too much for the season pass. Also I don't know how they expect people to pay for it without even knowing what characters are included.

Hellsing

Canceled my Collector's Edition pre-order in the wake of the season pass being announced. Guess I'll settle for the standard edition.

Top Bottom