• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Korra |OT| - Saturday Mornings Just Got Better

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't decide if the show moving this fast is good or bad. I feel overwhelmed at times. I need breathing room, hope the next episode is it.

Yea i was wondering earlier in the thread if
Amon's attack on the arena
will happen in the upcoming episode but that would be completely crazy pace wise though.

Wiseblade

I can't decide if the show moving this fast is good or bad. I feel overwhelmed at times. I need breathing room, hope the next episode is it.

Yeah it is moving a bit too fast, the story needs a little more space to breathe. To tell you the truth I'm more interested in the air benders and the old characters than Korra, Mako, and Bolin so I'd like to see more minutes for Tenzin's family and flashbacks.

Really? If anything I'm really enjoying the pacing. Yes, things are moving quickly, but not to the point where it feels rushed or like things are being glossed over.

Bit-Bit

If anything, the show slowed down this episode. Most of the episode was about Korra dealing with her fear regarding Amon and Mako and his main squeeze.

I love how at the end, Korra said Aang's name when she saw Tenzin running up to her.

KingK

Do you guys think we might get a spirit conversation between Aang and Korra next episode? That flashback to Aang, Toph, and Sokka had to be there for some reason. Maybe it's Korra's "spiritual" side starting to awaken and Aang will start to drop some spirit knowledge on her.

apana

Do you guys think we might get a spirit conversation between Aang and Korra next episode? That flashback to Aang, Toph, and Sokka had to be there for some reason. Maybe it's Korra's "spiritual" side starting to awaken and Aang will start to drop some spirit knowledge on her.

They are probably gonna make us wait for it, my bet is it will be in the last episode of this season or close to the last episode.

Maybe not next episode but i think it will definitely be soon.

rexor0717

They are probably gonna make us wait for it, my bet is it will be in the last episode of this season or close to the last episode.

I don't quite think it will be that long, but they will trickle out the flashbacks until they spill the beans in the last few episodes.

apana

I don't quite think it will be that long, but they will trickle out the flashbacks until they spill the beans in the last few episodes.

Well this season ends at episode 12 so it's not all that far away. I think next season is 14 episodes. Interestingly it originally started out as a 12 episode mini-series, I'm not sure at which point it became longer. I wonder if the 14 episodes next season are the end of it. The high ratings would suggest that this show could easily go for at least one more season after the next one.

Cool, thanks.

Maybe you misunderstood.

My guess is Nick waits until it has finished airing in all its time slots and then they put it up. They had a movie at 3 today so maybe they are having another airing later at night.

Omikaru

I don't get all this "I think Asami is a spy" garbage. If you want something to feel cliched in the series, that's it. I think DiMartino and Konietzko are better writers than that. I don't necessarily expect all I write below to come true, since this series has already played with my expectations (and that's going to carry on), but when you think about it logically, the Sato family really don't have much of a reason to be anti-bender like the Equalists are.

The fact is the Sato family are the antithesis of what Amon stands for. He believes that non-benders have been trampled on by the benders, not given opportunities like they have, oppressed, and so on. The Sato family is a prime example of anyone with talent and a revolutionary idea having a shot at getting to the top, and I imagine his patron was originally a wealthy bender.

That family have absolutely no rational reason to support the Equalist Revolution. It's not like they're underdogs being outpaced by benders with an inherently unfair advantage; they're the top dogs! They've -- just like the Equalists in many ways -- found their deficiencies and innovated their way out of it. The difference being their means and ends are constructive rather than destructive.

And besides, it's pretty obvious that Asami is going to become a regular character, and there's going to be a lot of tension and territorial wrangling between her and Korra, and not just over Mako. I personally find that more interesting than Korra having an irrational grudge, and having that grudge vindicated by Asami being "t3h evuhl!" I mean, really? I suppose in an ideal shipper's fantasy:

- Korra doesn't like Asami.
- Mako dates Asami.
- Asami is evil.
- Korra does an "I told you so" to Mako, which drives him away before...
- ...he realises how much he truly loves Korra and they live happily ever after once they've beaten Amon and the evil Sato family.

But on that note, put me down as echoing the sentiment about enjoying the shipping wars. I really don't have a vested interest, and any romance subplot will be fine by me so long as it's well-written. I'll just get the popcorn and enjoy the meltdowns in the meantime...

Yes she will be the nonbender addition to the Krew imo, being their driver actually makes a lot of sense. Cause so far she doesn#t seem to have any combat abilities.
Agreed on the most part, but...

Hiroshi Sato is rich, and his family are rich non-benders in a city full of bending triads who would no doubt exploit this non-bending weakness to extract a healthy sum of cash. What better way to do that than to kidnap Asami and demand a ransom?

Asami also seems to enjoy her independence; she rides about the city on her satobike (or whatever it's called) without any protection detail whatsoever. My bet is she's proficient in combat, possibly even skilled in the art of chi blocking (though I'm sure that'll raise a few eyebrows).

I bet alongside Korra learning airbending skills (which will obliterate the chi blockers -- just wait until we see Tenzin get into a scrap with them), Asami training the gang in how non-benders fight will give them the edge they need against the Equalists in the latter half of the season.

Agreed on the most part, but...

Hiroshi Sato is rich, and his family are rich non-benders in a city full of bending triads who would no doubt exploit this non-bending weakness to extract a healthy sum of cash. What better way to do that than to kidnap Asami and demand a ransom?

Asami also seems to enjoy her independence; she rides about the city on her satobike (or whatever it's called) without any protection detail whatsoever. My bet is she's proficient in combat, possibly even skilled in the art of chi blocking (though I'm sure that'll raise a few eyebrows).

I bet alongside Korra learning airbending skills (which will obliterate the chi blockers -- just wait until we see Tenzin get into a scrap with them), Asami training the gang in how non-benders fight will give them the edge they need against the Equalists in the latter half of the season.

Its already stated that she can defend herself but it should be interesting seeing what she actually knows (i say some chi blocking stuff also).

The storyboarding on this show must be crazy good. It's so far above most animated series shot for shot in terms of angles, framing, and fight choreography. The whole sequence at Avatar Memorial Island when the Equalists pull Korra into the darkness and Korra's firebending lights up the environment for only a few seconds was so good. Then the weird flashbacks to older Aang that changes to Tenzin running toward Korra from her viewpoint on the floor.

SO GOOD.

Are you sure? It wasn't really that clear.

It was pretty clear in the episode. Jet's dead... my other theory is that he was the boy Zuko visited in the episode "Zuko Alone" who seems to hate benders (fire in particular) and would not be as old as some of the other regular characters from the last airbender. Still.. Amon seems very old based upon his voice. It will be interesting to see how the character develops but I definitely have a hunch its someone we've seen before.

KingK

he was making a joke about the Ember Islands Players episode. "Did Jett just...die? I don't know, they were really unclear."

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Okay, got caught up again.

Really enjoyed ep. 3. That fight with the chi blockers in the city looked really cool. I agree with the sentiment that the pacing is a little fast (minus the last episode, I guess).

Overall though, I'm not getting the same sense of satisfaction and enjoyment from this than I did with TLA. With TLA, I was eagerly anticipating every new episode by this point. With Korra however, it's still entertaining and interesting that I'm gonna continue watching, but it's not providing the same level of impact.

Anyway, I gots me a question. Not sure how I missed this (and yes, it seems like a REALLY big thing to miss), but how the hell are Mako and whatever his brother's name is able to do both Earth bending AND fire bending? (and presumably water bending too?)

Anyway, I gots me a question. Not sure how I missed this (and yes, it seems like a REALLY big thing to miss), but how the hell are Mako and whatever his brother's name is able to do both Earth bending AND fire bending? (and presumably water bending too?)

Mako can firebend and Bolin can earthbend because their father was from the Fire Nation and their mother was from the Earth Kingdom. Same reason Tenzin can airbend.

Okay, got caught up again.

Really enjoyed ep. 3. That fight with the chi blockers in the city looked really cool. I agree with the sentiment that the pacing is a little fast (minus the last episode, I guess).

Overall though, I'm not getting the same sense of satisfaction and enjoyment from this than I did with TLA. With TLA, I was eagerly anticipating every new episode by this point. With Korra however, it's still entertaining and interesting that I'm gonna continue watching, but it's not providing the same level of impact.

huh?

Mako can only Firebend and his brother can only Earthbend.

If they are actually brothers its likely their parents were an Earthbender and a Firebender.

Poyunch

No waterbending. Mako can only do Firebending and Bolin can only do Earthbending. Their parents presumably were in in a mixed-race relationship.

suzu

Where'd you get Waterbending from? lol. Only the Avatar can bend more than one element.

Tenzin is also of mixed parentage and can only airbend.

I don't get all this "I think Asami is a spy" garbage. If you want something to feel cliched in the series, that's it. I think DiMartino and Konietzko are better writers than that. I don't necessarily expect all I write below to come true, since this series has already played with my expectations (and that's going to carry on), but when you think about it logically, the Sato family really don't have much of a reason to be anti-bender like the Equalists are.

Actually the SatoMobile is anti-bending as it replaces the need to rely on benders for transportation/industry. Think Omashu or the Ba Sing Sa from the original series as both used Earth benders heavily for transportation. Republic City is powered by benders (as Mako demonstrated). Sato’s inventions shows that benders aren’t needed for innovations which does fall in line with Amon’s vision of the future.

It could make sense for Sato be involved with Amon. No benders = profits for him and his inventions. I do see your point though.

Oblivion

Ah, okay. I didn't realize that they were both doing one element each. Which is probably why they needed Korra to do water bend...oh god I feel retarded. D:

But yeah, I didn't know the brothers were of mixed races.

Do we have any indication of the bender/non-bender proportions in the city? I only rermember Katara being the only on in her tribe, while it seems commonplace in the northern tribe, but i always pressumed something like a 70/30 split with the non-benders being the majority.

Katara was the only one because the firebenders were forcibly taking benders from the southern tribe and imprisoning them.

Also while I think Mr. Sato is funding the equalists, I do not think Asami is a spy.

Ridli

Conspire to destroy all benders by immediately sponsoring an unknown bender and letting him date your daughter.

Sounds legit.

I don't understand the complaints about the show going to fast. Are you guys serious? What's wrong with the pacing? They probably have a lot of story to get through and don't want to have any of those silly fillers from the first show. I prefer this. Some people might have liked the goofy filler eps but I preferred the ones that moved the story along and Korra seems to be all that

apana

Hiroshi Sato is weak, if it was Hiroshi Yamauchi the benders would all be in slave camps by now.
Aang's son is Amon and Sato is innocent.

Hartt951

I don't understand the complaints about the show going to fast. Are you guys serious? What's wrong with the pacing? They probably have a lot of story to get through and don't want to have any of those silly fillers from the first show. I prefer this. Some people might have liked the goofy filler eps but I preferred the ones that moved the story along and Korra seems to be all that
I love the lack of filler but in TLA it seems like the themes of the story were drawn out more and played upon over multiple episodes or at least an entire episode was solely dedicated to it.

I think the whole complaint about pacing is in 20 minutes Mako and the girl fall in love, a task force to defeat the equalists is formed, the task force raids a hideout, Korra is confronted with her fears about Amon, she directly challenges Amon to a duel, she is captured by Amon, let go, and meanwhile the Fire Ferrots get funding to continue their bending and we're introduced to the creator of the car. It's just a LOT of stuff. Personally I loved the first 3 episodes and this episode was great too, but it was just way too much that it felt rushed. It's nice when a story can be meticulously crafted and told and we can see all the work that leads to certain relationships forming, certain events happening, and certain themes being discussed. That's such a rewarding and enjoyable experience.

Jintor

There's no time for characters to really stew or for events to sit in viewer's minds. It's always rush, rush, rush. Even Korra's dark fears in this most recent episode is bam-bam-bam. It's well-explored but it just doesn't have that time element to it.

AniHawk

amon's fucking weak. korra challenged him to a duel, one on one, no task force, no chi-blockers. she upholds her end of the challenge, he brings a shitload of chi-blockers and ambushes her as she's walking away.

also, even though he already played a bad guy in a mask, i think ron perlman would've been the better choice for amon. i always associate steve blum with cool guys, usually protagonists.

AniHawk

The storyboarding on this show must be crazy good. It's so far above most animated series shot for shot in terms of angles, framing, and fight choreography. The whole sequence at Avatar Memorial Island when the Equalists pull Korra into the darkness and Korra's firebending lights up the environment for only a few seconds was so good. Then the weird flashbacks to older Aang that changes to Tenzin running toward Korra from her viewpoint on the floor.

SO GOOD.

yeah, it's pretty incredible.

Just watched it. I really liked the raid scene, the music and such there was spot on. I could really feel her fear throughout the episode. The flashback was eerie, and why'd she say "Aang?" when she came to? Mako getting hit with the scooter scene made me laugh!

Acerac

Banned
amon's fucking weak. korra challenged him to a duel, one on one, no task force, no chi-blockers. she upholds her end of the challenge, he brings a shitload of chi-blockers and ambushes her as she's walking away.

also, even though he already played a bad guy in a mask, i think ron perlman would've been the better choice for amon. i always associate steve blum with cool guys, usually protagonists.

He would have wrecked her face. Some random member of Amon's crew was more than a match for her an episode ago.

That said, if he was so afraid of her becoming a martyr, she should have pretended that he had successfully stolen her powers. Nobody was there to see but the anti-benders, after all.

GCX

I think the pacing has been really good so far even with the huge amount of stuff they've put in each episode. Next ep seems to give some breathing room for the main plot and focus more on pro bending and Korra/Mako/Bolin chemistry.

Oblivion

Well, in fairness he DIDN'T take advantage of her in that situation, so I think it proves the opposite.

I'd definitely take Perlman over Blum at this point, but honestly, we need some new blood in the VA business. Seeing (well, hearing) Steven Blum appear in non-anime shows was cool at first, but now it's like "oh, hey it's Spike. Woo.".

AniHawk

He would have wrecked her face. Some random member of Amon's crew was more than a match for her an episode ago.

Well, in fairness he DIDN'T take advantage of her in that situation, so I think it proves the opposite.

i think it would have been cool if she got her ass handed to her by just him before he explained all about the martyrdom stuff. it would have at least offered up some comparison for later when they duel again and she's able to hold her own or beat him.

my guess by the end of the season is that someone is losing their bending. i'm going to bet on it being tenzin, obi-wan kenobi-style.

That said, if he was so afraid of her becoming a martyr, she should have pretended that he had successfully stolen her powers. Nobody was there to see but the anti-benders, after all.

that's true, but i don't think it would have feasibly worked out. especially with korra's personality.

I'd definitely take Perlman over Blum at this point, but honestly, we need some new blood in the VA business. Seeing (well, hearing) Steven Blum appear in non-anime shows was cool at first, but now it's like "oh, hey it's Spike. Woo.".

yeah. ron perlman was slade in teen titans (and great as slade in teen titans), and i think he was clayface in batman: the animated series.

steve blum is fine though. i just associate him more with TOM/spike/mugen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom