• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sim City 5 to have in-game store

AppleMIX

Not sure what exactly why this is a big deal. I imagine they're avoiding the sim's 3 clusterfuck and just have everything done through the store.

Man, EA really doesn't wan't my money. I was already insecure about buying it cause of the always online DRM, but this sealed the deal, no SimCity 5 for me. If they wan't micro transactions they better give it to me for free.

QaaQer

Not sure what exactly why this is a big deal. I imagine they're avoiding the sim's 3 clusterfuck and just have everything done through the store.

I think the problem is they've turned simcity into a $60/$80 always online multiplayer game witha p2w store. I could be wrong tho. Oh, and no mods.

QaaQer

Pay2Win in a cooperative game with obtuse objectives?

I don't think you understand what pay2win actually means.

I thought there was some competition involved? I'm not really up on the game, I cancelled my order mainly because online store + always online req + multiplayer focus + expansion paks = no modding community.

Sethos

Banned
I'll do something crazy and just play the main bulk of the game and not spend money on MR VILLAIN EXPANSION SET, PETS GALORE DLC and DOWNTOWN DATING EXTRAVAGANZA.

I'm crazy like that.

Crazy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm surprised despite all the price gouging practices, The Sims 3 of all things remained relatively safe.

Nymerio

After I've seen the presentation during E3 SimCity was my game of the show, but it's fallen so low since then it's crazy. I don't understand how they can fuck this up so badly.

More double-standards by the NeoGAF population. Valve has a micro-transaction store in one of their games, you guys can't get enough. EA introduces a micro-transaction store in one of their games, you guys are lining up to burn their building down.

I really don't know why I keep coming to this site. You guys have got to be some of the dumbest mother fuckers I've ever come across.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
More double-standards by the NeoGAF population. Valve has a micro-transaction store in one of their games, you guys can't get enough. EA introduces a micro-transaction store in one of their games, you guys are lining up to burn their building down.

I really don't know why I keep coming to this site. You guys have got to be some of the dumbest mother fuckers I've ever come across.
How much does Valve charge for access to the base game?

Chili

It is a matter of trust. The store in TF2/Dota 2 (not sure which you are referring to) is a perfect example of microtransactions done right. Also, there is also the little matter of them being free-to-play games. People trust Valve to do the right thing, but clearly there is an overwhelming sense of cynicism when it comes to EA given their track record.

ruttyboy

You realise that by your generalisation you just called yourself a 'dumb mother fucker'?

Card Boy

Banned

Just for the record I shit on Valve aswell, don't lump me with these mofos!

HT UK

It'll probably be overpriced like the Sims 3 store...lets hope we can install *cough* custom *cough* content like Sims 3.

undu

Even when there was a micotransaction store in TF2, there were alternative methods to obtain the items, mainly through random drops while playing and trading, now the Game is free to play, so it's not like SimCity.

All items in Portal 2 are cosmetic and don't add anything to the game nor change how the game is played, so it's not like SimCity.

Dota 2 is free to play and the items can be obtained through random drops or trading, and they all are cosmetic, so it's not like SimCity.

As far as I know, there aren't any other Valve games with microtransaction store, so there isn't any double-standard when some is criticizing Maxis/EA but not Valve.

If you want to convince anyone in this forum of anything other than you're stupid, your argument is weak and it's not sustainable.

Also I recommend you to not come back if you keep with this attitude or insulting the rest of the members of the community, it'll save you a lot of headaches.

FGMPR

Banned

Feel free to piss off.

King_Moc

Banned
It is a matter of trust. The store in TF2/Dota 2 (not sure which you are referring to) is a perfect example of microtransactions done right. Also, there is also the little matter of them being free-to-play games. People trust Valve to do the right thing, but clearly there is an overwhelming sense of cynicism when it comes to EA given their track record.

£50 for a fucking hat is an example of microtransactions being done right?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I finally got around to playing my Steam sale copy of Sims 3 last night, and they have stuff for the Sim's store embedded right in the game's UI, in a bright yellow colour.

Jesus EA, ease up a bit.

FYI there's an option to turn off the in-game store if you want, although there are frequently free objects available to download from it as well.

Boss Doggie

You do know that Valve items can be found for free and the games themselves are free right? Compared to this game being seemingly gimped on that aspect.

Didn't think this through huh?

wut

One game will be $60, the other is free and the additions are aesthetic items such as costumes or announcers. They provide no real "bonus" to gameplay, the playing field is level.

King_Moc

Banned
One game will be $60, the other is free and the additions are aesthetic items such as costumes or announcers. They provide no real "bonus" to gameplay, the playing field is level.

The items in TF2 aren't aesthetic. They have stat changes which compliment certain play styles. If your style matches those stat changes, then it's beneficial to you. You could wait 100's of hours for it to randomly unlock, or pay for it right now. It's just as bad as charging for weapon unlock in BF3 or extra levels in Tales of Vesperia. Except some of the hats cost more than a full price retail game. Not bad, considering it probably took one modeller about 30 minutes to make.

The items in TF2 aren't aesthetic. They have stat changes which compliment certain play styles. If your style matches those stat changes, then it's beneficial to you. You could wait 100's of hours for it to randomly unlock, or pay for it right now. It's just as bad as charging for weapon unlock in BF3 or extra levels in Tales of Vesperia. Except some of the hats cost more than a full price retail game. Not bad, considering it probably took one modeller about 30 minutes to make.

I was referring to DOTA2, but I guess you could make the case with TF2.

Boss Doggie

...or you can craft them. Or trade. The point is that you have options.

danmaku

You conveniently forgot to mention that every weapon can be crafted from dropped ones, so you don't need to play hundreds of hours and wait for a drop. And besides, there's always the option of trading. Hats can cost as much as they want, they do nothing in the game, except... making you look cool, I guess?
And DOTA2 is even more fair than that (nothing you can buy has any effect on the game) so they're actually getting better at F2P, not worse.

Boss Doggie

Hell, you don't even have to "play" TF2 to get items. You can just create a .bat file that "runs" the game while connected to an idle server or training map without using up much resources, causing you to gain items without actually effort. You then either craft those items into metals to trade, weapons to trade, or keep them if they're the ones you want.

Really now... it feels like people aren't thinking through when they posted that Valve comparison.

Lime

AppleMIX, do you always defend or fail to see the negativity towards EA's consumer practices? It seems to be a common trend for your posting whenever there's criticism of an EA-related game.

suedester

Banned
Even when there was a micotransaction store in TF2, there were alternative methods to obtain the items, mainly through random drops while playing and trading, now the Game is free to play, so it's not like SimCity.

All items in Portal 2 are cosmetic and don't add anything to the game nor change how the game is played, so it's not like SimCity.

Dota 2 is free to play and the items can be obtained through random drops or trading, and they all are cosmetic, so it's not like SimCity.

As far as I know, there aren't any other Valve games with microtransaction store, so there isn't any double-standard when some is criticizing Maxis/EA but not Valve.

If you want to convince anyone in this forum of anything other than you're stupid, your argument is weak and it's not sustainable.

Also I recommend you to not come back if you keep with this attitude or insulting the rest of the members of the community, it'll save you a lot of headaches.

Hang on son, you haven't got a clue what items are going to be available from the store. They could well be just themed items such as those available from the limited edition. Don't jump to conclusions just to emphasize your badly made point.

bud23

The "believe" below the gaf logo is going to be replaced soon by "EA in a nutshell" and a link to the video. Deal with it.

FYI there's an option to turn off the in-game store if you want, although there are frequently free objects available to download from it as well.

Just to add to this you can play the game direct from the .exe and never have to see any adds for the store at all.

Boss Doggie

Since we're talking about Sims 3 anyway, get AwesomeMod and a bunch of NRaas stuff. Turn off store in-game and then delete the entirety of the Catalog's insides and turn the folder into an unwritable folder. Also disable memories.

Suddenly I wonder if SimCity will be bug free. Mods are the ones that fixes their bugs.

Chili

None of the stat changes are to the detriment of the gameplay though. It probably wouldn't work in most other multiplayer titles, but TF2 isn't a game that is supposed to be perfectly balanced. If someone else has an item that gives a bonus that you do not, it basically makes zero difference to the game. I never once think about how overpowered a class or weapon is because that concept doesn't really exist in TF2. Now if it was Battlefield 3 or CS:GO I would probably be more than a little peeved off that someone has bought a weapon that gives them a clear advantage. Valve clearly don't apply the same logic to the intricately balanced Dota 2, where such a microtransaction would essentially ruin the game. Thankfully they understand their games and their userbase and have built suitable content models for each one.

Now I'm not *against* the DLC store in SimCity, after all we have no idea what it will entail (I don't really care about Origin or it being online-only either). To be honest having those premium city themes or something zany like superheroes and villains seems like a pretty cool idea and may be something I would pay for. My problems with the game lie elsewhere, but I just felt the comparison between EA and Valve's respective approaches to microtransactions is a little unfair.

As for £50 hats, that is the exception rather than the norm. The other great thing about the TF2/Dota 2 marketplaces is they are marketplaces for users and amateurs to sell their own items. If the SimCity store has this, then I would love it.

undu

Hang on son, you haven't got a clue what items are going to be available from the store. They could well be just themed items such as those available from the limited edition. Don't jump to conclusions just to emphasize your badly made point.

The least you should do when entering a thread is to read the first post.

Here's the quote from the manual about the store in the OP:

SIMCITY STORE

Click the banner on the main menu to enter the SimCity Store. Here, you’ll find special add-ons for sale. Select STORE to view the full list of additional game content (both free and paid) that can provide you with new gameplay possibilities.

So tell me, what makes you think paid content is going to be only cosmetic?

Remmy2112

Not going to get drawn into the rest of this debate but I thought I'd throw this out regarding Team Fortress 2: it was not always free. I and hundreds of thousands if not millions of others purchased it before it was free to play.

Ranger X

Wait wait, there's one thing I don't get.
I know EA is bad and all.

There's a store for Dead Space, did it ruin the game?
What's wrong if there's DLC for SimCity?

I don't get it, DLC is ok for other games but not this one..?

suedester

Banned
The least you should do when entering a thread is to read the first post.

Here's the quote from the manual about the store in the OP:

So tell me, what makes you think paid content is going to be only cosmetic?

That could easily be referring to the ploppables from the deluxe edition, like public transportation services from the British city set.

Boss Doggie

Not going to get drawn into the rest of this debate but I thought I'd throw this out regarding Team Fortress 2: it was not always free. I and hundreds of thousands if not millions of others purchased it before it was free to play.

When MannCo came out it's roughly 10 bucks though.

Zaventem

Sims City seems like the perfect game to put this in i don't see the preblem here.The users are used to eating up anything.

Top Bottom