• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oklahoma City cops encounters man with stick, shot him with a gun and Taser, man dies

People still get shot when they comply. Mental health tests should be done on people who work in the force.

That's why I included the "and/or".

I'm willing to bet you could place a dead body on a park bench with sunglasses on, prop it up like it's someone just chilling, call the cops on it, and they'd fill it with lead less than 5 minutes after arriving on the scene.

No weapons or "reaching" required either.

blakep267

So what exactly are we paying cops so much for these days if they're more ready to shoot anything remotely dangerous than to risk their skin at the sight of a goddamn metal pipe? Compensation for the emotional burden of shooting someone for no reason?
Who else are going to arrest people to fill up prisons?

Kayhan

That's why I included the "and/or".

I'm willing to bet you could place a dead body on a park bench with sunglasses on, prop it up like it's someone just chilling, call the cops on it, and they'd fill it with lead less than 5 minutes after arriving on the scene.

No weapons or "reaching" required either.
Amazing idea for "Weekend At Bernie's 2"

Sunster

cops cannot take 0.00000005% chance of injury to themselves. they'd rather you die because they are trained professionals.

Mohonky

American cops sure do have a thing about shooting people....they really need to start makong officers accountable

*Footnote: Unless you're white, then do whatever the fuck you want.

Not even remotely close to factual, more white people are shot by police than any other race.

They are shot at a rate lower per the population %, but in over all numbers still shot the most.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yep, sounds about right. This is now how I expect American cops to act in any situation that might potentially have the chance to become even the tiniest bit threatening (even if it actually isn't). Incompetent fucking cowards.

Shooting or tasing the man was uncalled for either way if the man wasn't belligerent, but the AP article saying it's a stick and then a metal pipe just makes the reporters sound like idiots.

It's a "walking stick" with a loop of leather at the top; it's will turn out to be a piece of wood or a ski-pole type. The witnesses who call it a stick are doing so either because it is wooden or because that was its function, and the police are calling it a metal pipe to make it seem scary and dangerous.

Shinypogs

"The officer who fired the gun has been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation."

Why don't they jail the cop to await trial just as they would for someone else who fired a gun?

I wish cops had to go through the same jail process as the rest of the populace. I'm guessing this is either standard system procedure for an actual reaon or a union thing. I'm not a cop so I'm not sure which is true.

Also not sure if a military officer killing a civilian lands them in jail before they face a military tribunal or if they also just get temp suspended. Same for coadt guard, firemen etc?

Id appreciate if anyone had answers.

Police really really need to be retrained with a higher respect for all life and to not assume that anyone not following orders is just being belligerent.

RedAssedApe

Banned
shoot first. ask questions later. makes sense that they have no qualms about this considering how all of these officers seem to be able to get paid vacations and keep their jobs even after being involved with something like this.

Time to put these up all over the country.

st%2Csmall%2C215x235-pad%2C210x230%2Cf8f8f8.lite-1.jpg

A fucking stick that this man wasn't even threatening the cops with. He was murdered for being deaf and carrying a stick.

And nothing will happen to the cop yet again.

cameron

Police Capt. Bo Mathews said Wednesday that 35-year-old Magdiel Sanchez wasn’t obeying the officers’ commands before one shot him with a gun and the other with a Taser on Tuesday night. He says the officers didn’t hear witnesses yelling “he can’t hear you” before they fired.

Police officers keeping their distance from a lone uncooperative civilian with a stick is not an option because of reasons. That only happens in the movies.

Society should instead focus on why they failed the deceased man with stick by not training him on how to behave around police.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
What, was he carrying a giant wooden club or something? I don't get how they can shoot and shock a guy walking around with a damn stick.

My dad's brown and walks with a cane. They gonna shoot him too?

Fucking hell.

They body slam brown unarmed grandpas so...

tbm24

So shot for carrying a stick while being a Sanchez? Why did they even approach him? More importantly why did they shoot? Did he swing the stick at em?

You know what I'm actually starting to think the death penalty is agood idea, should only apply though to cops who unneccessarily shoot people and it should be automatic, would soon make these muedering bastards think twice

"Administrative leave pending an investigation."

So...nothing will happen?

Popular euphemism for "we'll do nothing for months and then exonerate the shooter once most people have forgotten this guy ever existed".

I'll give Trump some credit here. He pulled back the curtain on this country and showed that for all its claims of being a first-world paradise for those chasing the American dream, in reality it's been a hidden third world pariah for a very long time.

Kettch

So shot for carrying a stick while being a Sanchez? Why did they even approach him? More importantly why did they shoot? Did he swing the stick at em?

Apparently for "not obeying commands".

Which is dumb for a whole host of reasons, but the obvious #1 reason is that some people can't hear your commands. This should never be allowed as a justification.

EGM1966

How? How is this level of enforcement still accepted? How can anyone in US remotely utter the phrase "land of the free" when you can be killed by your own supposed "protectors" for "failing to obey commands".

US policing is really messed up. I'm sure there are good Officers, I know mistakes still happen in other Western countries: but the ratios are the thing and they're just out of alignment vs other Western countries.

There can be no justification for discharging firearm without real, credible threat and I'm failing to find that in reports of a deaf guy sitting down with a stick with a strap to prevent it slipping from his hand.

How? How is this level of enforcement still accepted? How can anyone in US remotely utter the phrase "land of the free" when you can be killed by your own supposed "protectors" for "failing to obey commands".

US policing is really messed up. I'm sure there are good Officers, I know mistakes still happen in other Western countries: but the ratios are the thing and they're just out of alignment vs other Western countries.

There can be no justification for discharging firearm without real, credible threat and I'm failing to find that in reports of a deaf guy sitting down with a stick with a strap to prevent it slipping from his hand.

Racism.

Militarization of police and the fostering of an "us vs them" mentality don't help. But those attitudes stem mostly from racism.

The President of the United States of America loudly encourages police violence in a country with the highest number of gun murders in the world, 2.3 million people in prison, and 1 in 4 black men locked up.

droggg

Gotta love the 'Crime Stoppers' logo; gun included, behind the police commissioner at the pres conference. Sad.

Dali

I love the way the captain points out these cowards didn't hear the neighbors say he was deaf as though that matters one iota. You shot and killed a man holding a goddamn metal bar you fucks. Doesn't matter if he could hear you or not.

Top Bottom