• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided?

A "Deus Ex" sequel will come out before a "Mass Effect" sequel will.

I would be shocked if a Andromeda sequel didn't happen before a new Deus Ex. By all accounts it seems that Mankind Divided under performed AND that team is now working on Marvel games. Despite the negativity surrounding Andromeda it seems to have sold well thus far (I'm sure sales will drop off of a cliff by the end of the month) and we have no idea what Bioware Montreal will be doing once they wrap up whatever DLC they have planned.

Deus Ex, because it wasn't written by a thirteen year old fan.

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. I love the Deus Ex series but the writing in pretty much all of the Deus Ex games is atrociously bad. That's not to say that I think Andromeda's writing is great but also the writing in the Deus Ex games is really not dramatically better (if at all).

StereoVsn

Deus Ex is not finished.
It ends abruptly with a slideshow news report.

It is clearly 1 game that has been chopped up in two, and with Square Enix's Marvel partnership there won't be a conclusion anytime soon.

In fact they'll probably reboot it again by the time for a new Deus Ex comes along.

This is all true. However, it's still a better choice then MEA. Even if one wants to play MEA (and I kind of still do despite everything just because I love space based SciFi), it would be foolish not to wait a few months for the most egregious issues to be patched. Of course awful dialogue and bad storytelling are not going to be fixed, but at least some of the worst bugs could be ironed out. Unless EA just basically says "Fuck It" and abandons the ship.

Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. I love the Deus Ex series but the writing in pretty much all of the Deus Ex games is atrociously bad. That's not to say that I think Andromeda's writing is great but also the writing in the Deus Ex games is really not dramatically better (if at all).

What? No, no, no. Deus Ex writing is not amazing, however it is at least solid and competent despite some overall storytelling issues. Character interaction is not nearly as insanely inane or written by someone in high school or college freshman taking their first hack at sci-fi writing. Shit, compared to MEA, CW shows are full of interesting dialogue. Seriously, they are not nearly at the same level.

What? No, no, no. Deus Ex writing is not amazing, however it is at least solid and competent despite some overall storytelling issues. Character interaction is not nearly as insanely inane or written by someone in high school or college freshman taking their first hack at sci-fi writing. Shit, compared to MEA, CW shows are full of interesting dialogue. Seriously, they are not nearly at the same level.

Hey opinions are opinions man and let I be known that I don't disagree with your opinions of Andromeda. I personally just don't think the writing in any of the Deus Ex games is any better. To be fair, I'm mostly thinking of Human Revolution (which had a great premise not unlike Andromeda) and the original two games because the story in Mankind Divided is totally forgettable. Outside of the bad intro and the terrible ending I remember next to nothing about Mankind Divided (though I could see myself feeling the same way about Andromeda a few months removed from its release).

Hey opinions are opinions man and let I be known that I don't disagree with your opinions of Andromeda. I personally just don't think the writing in any of the Deus Ex games is any better. To be fair, I'm mostly thinking of Human Revolution (which had a great premise not unlike Andromeda) and the original two games because the story in Mankind Divided is totally forgettable. Outside of the bad intro and the terrible ending I remember next to nothing about Mankind Divided (though I could see myself feeling the same way about Andromeda a few months removed from its release).

Andromeda at least has some interesting characters unlike Mankind Divded.

Mathieran

Banned
Deus Ex is pretty great but it definitely feels like some stuff got cut and the ending is very abrupt. It's a really fun game to mess around in though, it always felt like I was outsmarting the game with my strategies, even though I most likely wasn't; but I think that's good design.

I haven't played Mass Effect yet, so can't comment on it. I will say DX has some pretty janky facial animations too, especially wrt lip syncing.

Quality of the content: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
The main game is well designed and tells an intriguing, but brief story. The ending is a half-assed cliffhanger, but the Journey itself was worth it.

Quantity of the content: Mass Effect: Andromeda
The main game has a lot of quests, multiple storylines, and larger areas of play. While the game does suffer from some quality issues, I still enjoy the game and I'm currently 72 game hours in and see the ending yet, making it well worth getting a decent amount of gametime out of the purchase price.

Chrisdk

It kinda depends on how good a friend he is and how much you want to spend on his present. I would always go with the new game instead of an older one, it just seems more exciting to me to give(and recieve) a new game. Mankind Divided can be picked up for nothing at the bargain bin. It's like $15. So it really depends how much you want to spend on your friend.

I'm not done yet with Andromeda, but i think it's vastly superior to Mankind Divided. I'm a huge fan of both series and i would pick Andromeda over Mankind Divided and it's not even close. But i wouldn't worry much about what your friend likes the most.

But i would go with Andromeda purely because it's more exciting to get a game that has just been released.

-Amon-

Deus ex is finished, quite polished effort. Not a beautiful game but at least more then playable.

Andromeda lacks polish but it's sold as an AAA game, its underwhelming at least technically when compared to its predecessors.

As a standalone game, made by an unknown developer, without Mass Effect's heritage and following Andromeda could be a purchase at a reduced price.

But considering what it really is I think it really should not be bought, period.

Meifu

I loved human revolution -mankind divided was well put together but didn't deliver on the story front

Mass effect is fun but super jank. Lipsync is awful in Deus ex though, worse than andromeda, but at least the humans seem to be feeling something as they speak english but move their lips to gibberish.

Selddon

Banned
If you are a fan of the mass effect series -> Andromeda
If you are a fan of the deus ex series -> Mankind Divided

If you are not a fan of either series -> don't get any of these tbh

Based on feedback in this thread, I think I'm going to go with Deus Ex. Which is fine, as I was leaning towards it. MEA's current state isn't exactly great.

If you are a fan of the mass effect series -> Andromeda
If you are a fan of the deus ex series -> Mankind Divided

If you are not a fan of either series -> don't get any of these tbh
Let's fix this up a little

If you are a fan of the mass effect series -> Nier: Automata
If you are a fan of the deus ex series -> Nier: Automata

If you are not a fan of either series -> Nier: Automata

If not Nier, get Deus Ex. Even though it's Human Revolution 2 it's still more Deus Ex and I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Taker34

Banned
Deus Effect: Thread Divided.
q8twj9hkdumu.gif

Chumley

Banned

Completely wrong.

Top Bottom