• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All firmware updatable 8Bitdo controllers are now Switch compatible!

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
snes 30 is garbage for streetfighter

i have to relearn moves on the dpad,
it's def lacking. still cool tho,.

Piers

I was going to just dive in and get the SNES controller but now that there's Switch support it's really, really split me in what to get. (Since analogue stick is going to be useful in future)

3DShovel

I had a NES30 Pro, but the dpad gave out after a few months. It stopped registering top left diagonal, which made playing top down games annoying.

The SNES30 has held up much better in this regard.

dolabla

Anyone used either the NES Pro or SFC30 to play Mario Kart 8D? If so, how does it feel?

Stopped using my Switch Pro Controller and am now exclusively using the SFC30 to play MK8D. It feels great and is an amazing experience. I actually seem to be better with the SFC30 with drifting than I am with Switch Pro Controller. I love using the dpad on this thing.

Aren't the d-pads shit though?

I'd say the dpads on the NES/FC30 Pros are pretty decent, and I can be pretty particular about bad ones.

I won't say they're among the all-time-best dpads, but better than any other multiplatform bluetooth gamepad I've tried. The ones on the Pros are solid, don't feel either too stiff or too gummy, they're responsive, and I don't notice any poor calibration with the directionals.

nubbe

I got my SFC30 and played Blaster Master and Shovel Knight for an hour.
There are random moments of input lag spikes that delay commands.
Besides the random lag, it feels fine to use

I updated my NES30 and played some Puyo Puyo Tetris on Switch the other night. Played perfectly, better than the Switch Pro controller, since there were no accidental drops which is a real problem when playing Tetris. I did not notice any lag during my play which was at least an hour.

RedFox85

snes 30 is garbage for streetfighter

i have to relearn moves on the dpad,
it's def lacking. still cool tho,.

SNES layout isn't ideal for fighters imo but I have had 0 issues with street fighter on my SNES 30. Out of curiosity do you play shodo or charge or grapple style chars? I myself am more of a shodo guy so maybe those inputs are just easier to pull off on this pad. Do you typically d-pad in fighters or are you a stick user? I use a TE mostly but have had 0 issues going back to a dpad. I have noticed there are a ton of people in the FGC who honestly have no skill whatsoever without their stick, it's like someone who plays counterstrike all day plugging in a 360 controller and trying to play that way.

I have had a few friends use my sfc30 and they all fell in love with it like I did, I think it's a great SNES replica and has a good feel in the hands. For reference I have a buffalo classic and official SNES pad, the 8bitdo doesn't feel cheap or anything, very nice controller.

Damn. I bought two but only one of them will pair to the Switch.

Actually it looks like that same one won't pair to my PC either :(

KC-Slater

[Cross-posted from fightstick-thread] Has anyone used the PCB of an 8Bitdo NES-style controller to build a wireless stick? I have one collecting dust, and a few old sticks to Frankenstein for parts. Do the 8Bitdo-controller PCBs have common ground? I can't find much info on padhacking them online anywhere...

galvatron

Actually heard back from customer service about the lag and system crashes on my rectangular NES 30 and they said it was low battery causing them. I fully charged and it's been working great. I hope they update the firmware to accurately report battery status, but once charged the thing did a pretty good job on Thumper, MK8D, and Puyo.

Stencil

Can anyone offer any insight as to why my SFC30 won't allow for firmware update on my Mac?

I've got it paired, open up the firmware update app, enter firmware update mode (L+R+Start) and then my controller loses connection.

Even when it's plugged into my Mac, the "USB Update" button is greyed out...

kaioshade

Can anyone offer any insight as to why my SFC30 won't allow for firmware update on my Mac?

I've got it paired, open up the firmware update app, enter firmware update mode (L+R+Start) and then my controller loses connection.

Even when it's plugged into my Mac, the "USB Update" button is greyed out...

When i did it on my Mac, I put it into the firmware update mode, once the lights were blinking, opened the app, then finally plugged the controller in, the button finally enabled.

Hope this helps.

Stencil

When i did it on my Mac, I put it into the firmware update mode, once the lights were blinking, opened the app, then finally plugged the controller in, the button finally enabled.

Hope this helps.

Beautiful! Followed your instructions and it worked!

Darko

I just learned you dont have to re pair the controllers each time.. i just turned on the switch ... pressed power + y then held down the l and r button and it connected.

molnizzle

I just learned you dont have to re pair the controllers each time.. i just turned on the switch ... pressed power + y then held down the l and r button and it connected.

Yeah, I was surprised to find that worked too. You can't actually turn the Switch on with an 8bitdo pad, but once it's already on you don't need to pair each time as long as you "turn on" the controller with start+Y.

Vitet

Yeah, I was surprised to find that worked too. You can't actually turn the Switch on with an 8bitdo pad, but once it's already on you don't need to pair each time as long as you "turn on" the controller with start+Y.

As I said earlier, I just press A on my SFC30 after turning on the Switch and it just works instantly

Piers

Bit the bullet and bought the gold pro controller, also because the buttons felt closer. Wasn't sure if I'd be able to press multiple buttons so easily on the SNES pad. (Which…surely one must if SMW had a run button? But still.)

Does the nes30pro work on the wii u? If it does, what does it register as, a classic controller?

Apparently it does but I can't get it to register. I wonder if firmware 4.0 broke the functionality. I would really like to use it with Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

molnizzle

As I said earlier, I just press A on my SFC30 after turning on the Switch and it just works instantly

If you're not having to turn on the controller with start+Y you're wasting your battery since the controller is never "off." I turn mine off after each session by holding start for a few seconds. Just gotta make sure you turn it back on in Switch mode with start+Y.

If you're not having to turn on the controller with start+Y you're wasting your battery since the controller is never "off." I turn mine off after each session by holding start for a few seconds. Just gotta make sure you turn it back on in Switch mode with start+Y.

I turn mine off and when I turn it on again I don't have to hold y. It's automatically in Switch mode. Recognizes my Switch with the press of an A button.

Vitet

You turn it on again how, just pressing start?

The controller turn itself off when you turn off the Switch, all lights are off. I had it days like this and the battery meter didn't drop a bit. Maybe is a suspend mode of sorts.

If I turn it off manually, just pressing start works anyway. No need to press start+Y again.

Hasney

Switch's Pro controller is such a ripoff, especially when WiiU's pro controller had twice the battery life at nearly half the price.

Twice the battery life? My Pro controller barely dies and I can remember my Wii U one being around the same time. Either way, they're both stupidly long.

I can see why it's more expensive though with all the tech they crammed in there and I do wish they took the NFC and maybe HD Rumble out to keep the cost down. I can get off my arse if I want use Amiibo and the HD Rumble doesn't feel as good as the joycons. After Splatoon 2, I'm sold on motion being in it though.

D.Lo

Switch's Pro controller is such a ripoff, especially when WiiU's pro controller had twice the battery life at nearly half the price.
Switch pro controller has way more stuff in it. Motion, NFC, HD Rumble.

Motion missing alone lead to the Splatoon 'combo with Wii Remote' set up on WU.

Piers

Used a bit of the FC30 Pro just now.
Takes a bit of adjusting but it's feels super nice. Clicky buttons and d-pad.

Link_enfant

I'm considering to buy the FC30 Pro for Ultra Street Fighter II (mainly), they seem to be great but how good are they actually regarding build quality and input lag?

Is the D-pad really great compared to the Switch Pro controller? About the same size? It seems a bit smaller on the pics but I may be wrong.

The d-pad on the FC30 is good, but the analogs are garbage. Dreamcast tier.

Yeah, I'm kinda regretting getting the FC30 due to the analog sticks being so terrible. They're basically unusable for me lol. Should have probably just gone with a SFC30 since the Dpad is great.

Link_enfant

Is the D-pad on SFC/SNES 30 the same as the one on FC30/FC30 Pro ?

The problem with SFC/SNES 30 controllers is that I need those two extra triggers, mostly for 3 punch/kick button combos on Ultra SFII :(

Other than that I wouldn't hesitate to go with it, but the joyticks being bad is pretty disappointing.

Top Bottom