• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All firmware updatable 8Bitdo controllers are now Switch compatible!

galvatron

Tried updating firmware then started playing thumper. Things are fine for about 3 minutes then incredible lag starts. Like multiple seconds between button press and action on screen. Resynced, got another couple of minutes of play, then the same thing.

I'm on the boxy NES 30. Seems like this thing still needs some testing, but it'll be pretty cool once it's reliable on all versions.

EDIT: Now I get a black screen of death on my switch when this controller turns on in switch mode. Back to NES playing it goes...

molnizzle

I got this working yesterday and now today it won't work no matter what I try. Anyone else having this problem?

Turn controller off (hold start for a few seconds) and reboot in Switch mode by holding start+Y for a few seconds. Then go to pair like normal.

You have to pair each time you use it.

Manac0r

I came to post to find fellow GAffers In the same position.

When ever I pair successfully to the switch and then power off the controller (SF30) when I try to re sync I have to power off the switch. If I wake it up from sleep it refuses to sync with the controller... anyone else in the same boat?

molnizzle

I came to post to find fellow GAffers In the same position.

When ever I pair successfully to the switch and then power off the controller (SF30) when I try to re sync I have to power off the switch. If I wake it up from sleep it refuses to sync with the controller... anyone else in the same boat?

Nope. I don't think I've ever powered off my Switch. I just turn on controller in Switch mode and pair.

TheExodu5

Banned
Ran into the same issue today. Took me a few minutes to figure it out.

You just need to make sure you actually turn on the controller in Switch mode, and it works fine. Start + Y.

If it doesn't work, then you probably booted into another mode. Hold Start to turn it off completely, then try again.

My SFC30 working flawlessly. Makes Thumper and Shovel Knight soooooo much more enjoyable. Will test out my NES Pro as well once I can swap it for a non defective controller (my left analog is dead). Should make for a fantastic portable Pro controller on the cheap.

TAS

Turn controller off (hold start for a few seconds) and reboot in Switch mode by holding start+Y for a few seconds. Then go to pair like normal.

You have to pair each time you use it.

Oh crap..really? Well that's a bit of a bummer. :( I ordered my SFC30 and it should be here soon.

dock

Playing a little with this... I think it has lag? I'm maybe three metres from the Switch, and I don't think input is as snappy as the pro controller.

Edit: maybe not, it seems okay when I compare them directly.

My version of the SFC has the bad dpad that can't easily do dragon punch motions. Is this solved on other versions?

ryushe

Kinda bummed the firmware for this isn't compatible with the RetroN 5. I'm really glad that there's an option, but I might have to pass on this as I prefer to have my Snes30 for my RetroN.

Has anyone tried street fighter yet?
Works absolutely beautifully for me. I have two Snes30 controllers, my best friend came over yesterday and we played about 4-5 hours of Street Fighter and it was like the 90's all over again. Excellent control option for Street Fighter.

molnizzle

Oh crap..really? Well that's a bit of a bummer. :( I ordered my SFC30 and it should be here soon.

Another reason why I'm glad I did the SFC30 instead of the NES30 Pro. Would be kind of a hassle if this was gonna be your primary controller, but for specific games I really don't mind. Just a few extra seconds to get the SNES controller ready before I play Puyo or Shovel Knight.

HyperHip

What are the chances of me getting the bad d-pad with the SFC30? Kinda want one to hold me over until I get that hori stick.

molnizzle

What are the chances of me getting the bad d-pad with the SFC30? Kinda want one to hold me over until I get that hori stick.

I feel like even the "bad" ones just need to be "broken in" like we used to have to do in the 90's. Maybe I'm wrong though. The one I got from Amazon a few days ago feels fine, if a little stiff. That's how I remember brand new SNES d-pads feelings though.

My pro controller d-pad is garbage (it often registers a right press as an up press which is a NIGHTMARE for Puyo Puyo Tetris) so these things working now is amazing.

Fancolors

Playing a little with this... I think it has lag? I'm maybe three metres from the Switch, and I don't think input is as snappy as the pro controller.

Edit: maybe not, it seems okay when I compare them directly.

My version of the SFC has the bad dpad that can't easily do dragon punch motions. Is this solved on other versions?

I don't know how comparable the FC30pro's d-pad is to the SFC, but I am able to do DPs with consistency with it. The only input that I really struggle with is 360s playing

Needham

Thanks to this update I finally have a decent dpad to play Switch games now, and want to play some good 2D games on the Switch. Only problem is there are no ZL or ZR buttons on the SNES30, and trying to find the controls for these games without buying them is a pain. Can anyone tell me if any of these 2D games on the Switch need those two buttons?

Blaster Master Zero
Kamiko
Wonder Boy
Bomberman
Neo Geo games

Feel free to share if any other games will work or not without ZL and ZR.

I have Puyo Puyo Tetris and it works fine. I'm pretty sure Shovel Knight lets you completely reconfigure the controls, so there shouldn't be any problems with it.

EDIT

Got my answers. Sounds like everything is playable without ZL and ZR. Blaster Master apparently I can change the controls so wall climb, which is normally on ZL or ZR, can be changed to a different button.

Darko

I just want to confirm the nes pro works just like a pro controller, clickable sticks and all. Just plaued zelda with zero issues :)

Edit: there is also physical home and camera buttons!

I just want to confirm the nes pro works just like a pro controller, clickable sticks and all. Just plaued zelda with zero issues :)

Edit: there is also physical home and camera buttons!
Yep! The 2 buttons on the bottom of the controller. I found that out by watching a YouTube video. I may grab 2 of these as I would have multiple uses for them. These would be great for PC and Android as well, especially for old-school games. I wonder how the internal battery holds up? Anybody know?

Thanks just ordered two, it would work great as a portable pro controller :)

Hope it fits my case

Works absolutely beautifully for me. I have two Snes30 controllers, my best friend came over yesterday and we played about 4-5 hours of Street Fighter and it was like the 90's all over again. Excellent control option for Street Fighter.

After 5 matches, I second this. SNES30 is great. I'm having a little bit of trouble throwing Hadokens, but can dragon punch almost too easily. I'm getting used to it after each match, better and better. D-pad just needed some more wear and I had to adjust my muscle memory. The 20 year old dpads on my super NES are rounded down and soft, so this brand new SNES30 feel slightly different.

I spent the last couple days playing on my actual super nintendo so I have a basis for comparison. I'm happy. 90's all over again indeed!

EDIT: went back to my pro controller briefly as I was still having trouble with hadokens on SNES30, and was able to pull off all moves, but then also realized the raised large stiff Pro dpad was also forcing my thumb to slow down, in other words forcing me to more carefully/slowly go through the dpad motions.

Then went back again to the SNES30, adjusted my thumb speed down a little to be more like the Pro, and EVERYTHING is easily done now!

Gradon

Not to side track the thread as I want to get one of these for my Switch but was wondering how they work on multiple devices? Because I read it works on PS3 and kind of want one for my Switch / PS3 / PC. How does that work?

Darko

Im sure the pair button takes screenshots.

"In Switch mode, the Pro controllers' Power button becomes the Home button on Switch, while the Pair button becomes the screenshot button. For the non-Pro controllers, a lack of buttons means some compromises. Down on the directional pad and Select at the same time act as the Home button, with no screenshot button option. And they only have two shoulder buttons, not the full four on the Pro controllers."

Filter

Has anyone tried using one of these to make a pad hack for an arcade stick?

If so, please point me to some instructions.

ryushe

Im sure the pair button takes screenshots.

By the way, does anyone know if FW 4.0 still has support for the retron?
I cannot get it to work
As I posted before, it does not, which is a huge bummer for me. :(

I'm super happy with this update and for everyone who it benefits, but it's kind of useless for me since I rather have my Nes30 Pro work on my RetroN than on my Switch, especially since I already have a Pro controller and 4 Joy-cons. Oh well.

Manac0r

Just wanted to post something I found out when pairing the SF30.

1) You do not need to resync every time you wake up the switch. Providing you put the switch to sleep and wake it via the joycon/power button then the SF30 will automatically reconnect (proving you turn it on in switch mode, start + A) without having to enter the change grip order screen again ( I am assumimg you already synced it successfully the first time)

2) If you wake the switch up using another controller and then trying pairing the SF30 again via the change grip order, it can cause issues where it refuses to pair. The only way out of this is to completely power off the switch and restart the process from the beginning.

What I think is happening is people have successfully synced and are trying to resync back in the grip order screen and this causes issues.

After a successful sync, simply wake the switch up from sleep, and power up the controller and wait a few secs, it should now connect as a pro controller with no menus needed - just press a button three times.

Hope this post helps anyone with issues.

CDX

*sigh* All those Nintendo style controllers, and not a single 6-button Sega style controller :(

Anybody have the N64 8bitdo controller? How is it for Street Fighter, or just fighting games in general on the Switch?

*sigh* All those Nintendo style controllers, and not a single 6-button Sega style controller :(

You don't know how quickly I'd buy an 8Bitdo JP Saturn pad if they managed to replicate the dpad well. Heck, I'd buy two.

I still use my Sega SLS Saturn USB pad all the time.

Darko

Anybody have the N64 8bitdo controller? How is it for Street Fighter, or just fighting games in general on the Switch?
N64 controller doesnt work for switch.

Link83

I didn't open it, but did a direct comparison between two NES30s. The newer one (6 months old now) I could not make up register from the left of right arrow sections of the dpad. The older one (1 year old) would do this.

But then a newer SFC30 still had the issue, so it may be a crap-shoot.
I really hope they have fixed the D-Pad PCB contacts (I even made a thread about the problem on their forums, but currently the 8bitdo forums seem to have completely disappeared?)

If anyone has a recently purchased 8bitdo controller and is willing to take it apart and post pictures of the PCB it would be much appreciated.

Top Bottom