• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Fularu

Banned
Didn't Aladdin come out on PC-CD? Makes me wonder if it did what they could have achieved with red-book audio..

The Amiga and PC versions are basically the same, with the Amiga one having the better sound. (The PC version is a DOS version btw, there are no Windows 3.11 versions afaik)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
so cool i was trying the 8bitdo snes controller on my pc
booted up dkc 3.,

TC7eCI9l.jpg

B is ok
and
A is back

i freaked out thought it was my emulator.
so i booted up my snes and i was wrong.
wtf why is A back and B ok ?

Yes Boss!

So I picked up Vectorman on VC (my favorite way to play the older games if they are available) and spent the morning with it. It is freaking hard...but I'm getting used to it. Cool on the lighting techniques. And, yeah, the graphics are insane. The sound effects are a bit harsh but the thumpy music is enjoyable. I still have not beat the first boss 😧

69A9931E-89C0-4BB8-A438-A7D5EB80A5E0.jpg

Spukc

dude i so loved that game ! i rented it like 3 times.
good times ! haha
the light effects where amazing,

i always told my friends that game was better then donkey kong country haha

First yard sales of the season were this morning, found probably my best find of the year at the second stop. I really don't find much older than PS2 these days, so this was a nice surprise. $4 total:

Anybody else find anything good lately?

It's a middle of the road platformer. The animation is nice and the look of the levels is creative, but this comes at a cost. The moment to moment action isn't nearly as tight because doing cartoon level animation, and also making a video game around that is very difficult, so they accepted the trade off to time/budget/etc...

It is a fine enough game, but in no way hangs with the mechanical tightness of the likes of Super Metroid, Gunstar Heroes, Super Mario World, Shinobi III, Mega Man X, Rondo of Blood, etc.. etc...

I want to disagree with you but you brought up valid points.

I went back to playing through Earthworm Jim on Sega Genesis last night. Playing through level "What the Heck?" was frustrating. I forgot that when you use your whip at the hooks to swing across, you have to be accurate.

This is where my nostalgia for the game clouds certain aspects that I hated. And you're right, tightness of the controls and certain game mechanics are not it's strong points.

I still do like the game despite it's weak points. Mainly because at the time 9 year old me was wooed with the animation and pure wackiness of the it's characters.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's a middle of the road platformer. The animation is nice and the look of the levels is creative, but this comes at a cost. The moment to moment action isn't nearly as tight because doing cartoon level animation, and also making a video game around that is very difficult, so they accepted the trade off to time/budget/etc...

It is a fine enough game, but in no way hangs with the mechanical tightness of the likes of Super Metroid, Gunstar Heroes, Super Mario World, Shinobi III, Mega Man X, Rondo of Blood, etc.. etc...

I'll readily agree that Earthworm Jim isn't on the same level as the games you listed, but I wouldn't call it middle of the road. It's much better than stuff like Vectorman or... really, anything else western developers produced during that era. It doesn't feel entirely precise at times, but there's a good flow to the gameplay and a lot of cool ideas in each level that are implemented well.

Edit: That said, I'm curious how much the version one played of EWJ affects how they feel about it now. I played the Windows 95 version, which was great and had significantly better animation than its console counterparts. Might've made some of the difference.

So I picked up Vectorman on VC (my favorite way to play the older games if they are available) and spent the morning with it. It is freaking hard...but I'm getting used to it. Cool on the lighting techniques. And, yeah, the graphics are insane. The sound effects are a bit harsh but the thumpy music is enjoyable. I still have not beat the first boss 😧

looks so sharp.

Peltz

The sound effects are better on a real Genny. Vectorman's sound was never right on emulators.

televator

The sound effects are better on a real Genny. Vectorman's sound was never right on emulators.

Yeah, that's another thing about VM. The SFX are top tier. They sound very rich and full. When I was 12-13 YO I remember how much my little Sony CRT's speaker used to rattle because of how punchy every thing was in the game. lol

Playing it today on real hardware YM2612 and on a receiver is amazing.

BTails

I seem to recall the palette on the SNES looks slightly better, but the Genesis has better controls. In particular, the platforming is tighter on Sega's console, with less frustrating jump "hitboxes".

Danny Dudekisser

Added a couple games from my childhood to my SNES collection this week. Been wanting to replace the copies that I had for a while so it feels good to have these again finally.

Can't argue with either of those -- two of the best games ever.

I remember when I sold Yoshi's Island back in 2005, after I got the GBA version. This was before I understood that GBA ports weren't as good as the SNES versions... Yoshi's Island being a particularly stark example. Man, did I feel stupid. Finally bought the SNES again in 2013. I won't fuck up again.

Khaz

The ZX Spectrum Next Kickstarter is live!

It's an FPGA recreation of the ZX Spectrum, with added goodies like a virtual tape loader through an SD card, RGB and HDMI out, and with the addition of an optional daughterboard more processing power,additional graphical modes, an RTC, wireless networking, etc. The daughterboard is a raspberry Pi, so it's likely you'll still find some around if you want to upgrade in 10 years.

The email announcement

The Kickstarter

Danny Dudekisser

While I've never understood, nor care to sympathize with, ZX Spectrum fans, that is really, really cool. I love that FPGA tech has had such cool breakthroughs for retro gaming in the last few years.

Added a couple games from my childhood to my SNES collection this week. Been wanting to replace the copies that I had for a while so it feels good to have these again finally.
Hey! what a coincidence, i just got back from dinner and grabbed yoshi's island ds with a few genesis titles =)
dNzedyLl.jpg

D.Lo

It's an FPGA recreation of the ZX Spectrum, with added goodies like a virtual tape loader through an SD card, RGB and HDMI out, and with the addition of an optional daughterboard more processing power,additional graphical modes, an RTC, wireless networking, etc. The daughterboard is a raspberry Pi, so it's likely you'll still find some around if you want to upgrade in 10 years.

The email announcement

The Kickstarter
I'm very interested. ZX stuff has such an interesting aesthetic. Lots (and lots and lots) of garbage like most 80s PCs but a few gems.

The email announcement

The Kickstarter

That shit is super super cool. Go them I hope they meet their funding goals!

Sorry for the shitty quality photo, and while I know I've said I'm not buying anything gaming till I was done with Zelda......I got a small bonus at work and said fuck it, use a bit of it to grab an everdrive N8, also had a bunch of points at stoneage gamer so I got it at a nice discount!

33365787894_639d2a208a_z.jpg

First thing I booted up on it was Akumajou Densetsu.

Crayons

Banned
guys i got a new HDTV so now im using my old CRT tv exclusively for retro video games. I put it right at the foot of my bed so i can be relaxing in bed playing classic video games.

So far i plugged my dreamcast in. Gonna maybe plug in my N64 later. I also bought a rasberry pi so i was thinking of hooking it up to this TV if possible

Sorry for the shitty quality photo, and while I know I've said I'm not buying anything gaming till I was done with Zelda......I got a small bonus at work and said fuck it, use a bit of it to grab an everdrive N8, also had a bunch of points at stoneage gamer so I got it at a nice discount!

damn, so jelly of the everdrive. congrats man!

Laws00

Nice, I got mine last week. Couldn't figure out to get the games to load show up. Found out the next day after being flushtered with it lol

Loaded up EVERY SINGLE GAME known to man on that thing.

No other ever drives i want come to mind. Gameboy, GBA, N64. Nope got all my child hood consoles fitted with them

Fularu

Banned

The email announcement

The Kickstarter
A mist fpga would be a better investment

damn, so jelly of the everdrive. congrats man!

Dude they're not that much, just don't buy any retro games for like 4 or 5 days and you can get one!

Nice, I got mine last week. Couldn't figure out to get the games to load show up. Found out the next day after being flushtered with it lol

Loaded up EVERY SINGLE GAME known to man on that thing.

No other ever drives i want come to mind. Gameboy, GBA, N64. Nope got all my child hood consoles fitted with them

I've only got 3 so far, the SD2SNES, TurboEverdrive (which is probably the best bang for you bucks out of all of them), and now this one. I REALLY want to get the X7 for the Genesis, the Master everdrive, and the N64 ones for sure. Also waiting on another guy who should have a Jaguar cart out this year.

Dude they're not that much, just don't buy any retro games for like 4 or 5 days and you can get one!
i actually did that this week bc i have i lot of pre-orders from my Macross hobby i had to pay for =) i like collecting so grabbing physical copies appeals to me (affordable ones) as well as playing them.
i'm afraid i'll lose interest in playing if i grab an everdrive for a system but i may have to for pc engine, prices are too high.

Khaz

A mist fpga would be a better investment

It's a plug and play, all in one solution. And it looks much sexier than a Mist nondescript square box.

The Kickstarter seems to be going very well, all early birds rewards have been taken in the first couple hours.

I was patiently waiting for the Amiga Reloaded project to come along, but then a price was announced.

So this is like a brand new Amiga computer using real components rather than some emulator or FPGA? That's pretty cool. Price doesn't seem too bad considering I'd pay more than that to get a used one. I'll have to keep an eye out on this.

Fularu

Banned
It's a plug and play, all in one solution. And it looks much sexier than a Mist nondescript square box.

The Kickstarter seems to be going very well, all early birds rewards have been taken in the first couple hours.

It does look sexier

I wonder if the innards are close to the mist and if one could just mod it to get Amiga, NES, ZX, MSX, SMS, etc cores running on it.

If so, it's a better option imho (especially with the expansion port)

I still do like the game despite it's weak points. Mainly because at the time 9 year old me was wooed with the animation and pure wackiness of the it's characters.

Nothing wrong with that. Recognizing something's shortcomings, especially in the things we love, is a very good thing. Some of the things I love the most have glaring, obvious flaws, and in some cases are entirely part of why I love them so much.

I'll readily agree that Earthworm Jim isn't on the same level as the games you listed, but I wouldn't call it middle of the road. It's much better than stuff like Vectorman or... really, anything else western developers produced during that era. It doesn't feel entirely precise at times, but there's a good flow to the gameplay and a lot of cool ideas in each level that are implemented well.

Edit: That said, I'm curious how much the version one played of EWJ affects how they feel about it now. I played the Windows 95 version, which was great and had significantly better animation than its console counterparts. Might've made some of the difference.

Why I went with a not very approximate description like middle of the road. I won't put up a fight with anyone who considers it above average. Not like there is a way to measure this stuff in a real way, despite what review systems try to accomplish. I'm not exactly on the side that believes a game must have tight, precise control to be of notable worth, but when you are operating in a genre and era where that particular aspect really excels, it is hard not to be a little more critical. There are always exceptions that break all sorts of conventions.

Something like Super Metroid doesn't just feel good to play, it does that and also has incredible cohesion between that and its aesthetic. You feel like a bad-ass space bounty hunter, and every single thing you see and hear backs that up with master precision.

Had Earthworm Jim pulled off that level of craft it would have really been something, like holy shit can you imagine? But it doesn't. It is a decent action platformer with a good sense of humor, for the time, and some killer illustrators/animators on the team. Maybe those last two points really propel it up for some folks. Nothing wrong with that.

I have Everdrives for every system except Master System/GG. I don't own a Master System and the Genesis ones do MS games anyway.

Might buy the GG one if I end up getting a consolized GG.

Edit: BeharBros GG is going to be up on May 5 in limited quantities for $290USD. It's expensive but you know that PSP Go + cradle + cables I bought and felt very stupid about for about a week ended up being one my favorite retro purchases yet.

Khaz

So this is like a brand new Amiga computer using real components rather than some emulator or FPGA? That's pretty cool. Price doesn't seem too bad considering I'd pay more than that to get a used one. I'll have to keep an eye out on this.

Don't forget it's for the board only. You still need a case (180€ for the new kickstarted case), keyboard keys (50€) and membrane (10€), a floppy drive, power brick and cables, and the various acceleration boards you will inevitably want.

Laws00

Just got them for nes, snes, genesis, pc engine.

I'm good. The n64 would be stretching it a lot as I bought of the games I wanted for that thing.

Buying them for handhelds isn't something I'm interested in.

Don't forget it's for the board only. You still need a case (180€ for the new kickstarted case), keyboard keys (50€) and membrane (10€), a floppy drive, power brick and cables, and the various acceleration boards you will inevitably want.

wat

I have Everdrives for every system except Master System/GG. I don't own a Master System and the Genesis ones do MS games anyway.

Might buy the GG one if I end up getting a consolized GG.

Edit: BeharBros GG is going to be up on May 5 in limited quantities for $290USD. It's expensive but you know that PSP Go + cradle + cables I bought and felt very stupid about for about a week ended up being one my favorite retro purchases yet.

I wish I could find a reason to get one of those, but the GG is one of the few systems that I don't feel is worth that kind of moneys. I mean I love Tail's Adventure but most of the other games I like on it have better Master System versions with a bigger screen size. :c

It does look pretty cool though, the BeharBros consolized GG I mean.

Spukc

hello fellow retro fans. A friend of mine bought this collection.
He paid 100 dollars good deal ?

1lxelyah.jpg

I wish I could find a reason to get one of those, but the GG is one of the few systems that I don't feel is worth that kind of moneys. I mean I love Tail's Adventure but most of the other games I like on it have better Master System versions with a bigger screen size. :c

It does look pretty cool though, the BeharBros consolized GG I mean.

Yeah I get that, but it's an 8-bit Sega platform with some number of interesting games. In the future it's going to get harder to get your hands on good condition GGs; even today capacitors are in bad shape, people left batteries in the systems and acid gets everywhere, and that screen was always garbage. I'd be pretty happy to get that system settled and if I discover stuff I like then great.

Plus it'd be a great way to do Master System games.

cool cool thanks man is it legit?

wXaSvBLh.jpg
Looks like it but there's sites that have galleries of the boards if you google like say Kirby's adventure nes board. I forget the site name but I've checked on their for stuff and usually 99% of the time has what you're looking for. They even have multiples since boards changed from greatest hits and such for some.

Hey! what a coincidence, i just got back from dinner and grabbed yoshi's island ds with a few genesis titles =)
dNzedyLl.jpg

Damn, how much was spiderman? I was actually eyeing that up?

Also, no Aladdin? FOR SHAME

Got a couple pick ups coming but I think I'm done for a while. My motorcycle isn't working so might need to use my funds to get a new one.

One final question, I found a lightly scratched earthworm jim for sega cd for $80 disc only. Is it worth that? It seems they're so rarely seen in the wild that pricing by site seems to swing wildly so one site says that's way to much, another says it's worth $40 over that.

Picked these up yesterday in a trade with a local retro shop owner near me. Traded away a bunch of NES commons that I can live with out, or I can play elsewhere. I always wanted the US fantastic series and the though of getting them one at a time always prevented me from making a run at them. The consoles are in great shape as well as the controllers, along with tight sticks. these were part of his personal collection, that he has had for years. Now to track down a minty Ice Blue lol

And he threw in the box for the hell of it. No styrofoam though, but thats where ill keep all the power adapters for now.

Picked these up yesterday in a trade with a local retro shop owner near me. Traded away a bunch of NES commons that I can live with out, or I can play elsewhere. I always wanted the US fantastic series and the though of getting them one at a time always prevented me from making a run at them. The consoles are in great shape as well as the controllers, along with tight sticks. these were part of his personal collection, that he has had for years. Now to track down a minty Ice Blue lol

And he threw in the back for the hell of it. No styrofoam though, but thats where ill keep all the power adapters for now.

That's beautiful.

I can never get enough 90s transparent plastic.

And he threw in the box for the hell of it. No styrofoam though, but thats where ill keep all the power adapters for now.

Nintendo hit a gold mine when they decided to make console variants. I don't even like the N64 that much but seeing this makes me want to collect them.

Damn, how much was spiderman? I was actually eyeing that up?

Also, no Aladdin? FOR SHAME
spiderman was 13 bucks. i went for aladdin but it was gone so i picked up whatever was there =)

those are so pretty.

Spukc

not jelli not jelli at all

nope nope nOPE

Top Bottom