• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

hey retroGAF!
remember, don't share your passwords online =)
VBDCMhNl.jpg

D.Lo

Oh man candy N64s...

So fun looking.

I spent a long time getting the transparent smoke grey one. Ended up with the Japanese version (apparently very rare, only came with 64DD) . I like my consoles to be a special one, so I've got an RGB modded original NTSC N64 board in the smoke housing.

Khaz

The ZX Spectrum Next Kickstarter is live!

It's an FPGA recreation of the ZX Spectrum, with added goodies like a virtual tape loader through an SD card, RGB and HDMI out, and with the addition of an optional daughterboard more processing power,additional graphical modes, an RTC, wireless networking, etc. The daughterboard is a raspberry Pi, so it's likely you'll still find some around if you want to upgrade in 10 years.

The email announcement

The Kickstarter

Well, the Kickstarter has been funded, in about 30 hours! No stretch goals disclosed yet, but this is already a massive success.

Only pickups this weekend we're Castlevania dawn of sorrow. I skipped it back then and want you jnslly play through it. I was playing on my acekard 4i until I could find a reasonably priced copy but man those ds flashcards drain the battery in sleep mode.

Used to be the dsi would last days in sleep mode, with the flash cart in its more like hours.

my miracle warriors map had hand written notes all over and the hidden places marked out. it was pretty cool. (but had to get another map)

I do Iike the history element of it. But prefer if it doesn't deface the manual.

That's why I said on a piece of paper. I wouldn't like it (unless it was pretty minor or maybe if it were in the notes section of the manual) if it were on anything official.

KC-Slater

I do remember the guy who makes those saying he wants to tackle Sega cd next!

I think he ruled out the Sega CD due to some sort of hardware complications rendering it not feasible as a realistic solution for most people to install themselves.

That would be totally awesome considering how finicky the CD drive is. Same with the briefcase IFU setup for the original PCE CD-ROM2.

According to his blog, he's working on this now.

I would love someone else to work on a better version of psio that doesn't require all the motherboard soldering, especially seeing how flaky the psx laser is.

Joe Molotov

The Rock-On cover will never not be funny.

Is that Goku screaming at a T-Rex?

Going with some friends to a retro gaming convention in OKC this weekend called Super Bitcon. Hopefully I'll find some cool pickups. Alisia Dragoon is the only thing I'm specifically looking for, other than that I'm just gonna look around and see what looks cool. The guy with the Nintendo Playstation is gonna be there showing it off, so that's neat.

Fularu

Banned
I would love someone else to work on a better version of psio that doesn't require all the motherboard soldering, especially seeing how flaky the psx laser is.

I don't know how feasible it is with the many revisions the PSX got. The PSIO doesn'T sound that hard to install, it's the cutting that scares me

RAIDEN1

To all Streetfighter Alpha fans on here... : D I have a question! Basically I have had a bit of an interest in the Apha series for quite some time, but not a die-hard fan, more a "casual" fan..so I recently purchased SF:A part 1 and 2 of the PSN store (yes I know they aren't the best ports of the game compared to the Saturn etc..)

Basically after having purchased the games I found out that you can't control the characters other than using the D-Pad which is a nightmare!! (Why no analogue support I don't know) so in light of that can anyone recommend a fighting control pad that would be compatible with these 2 games? Or will I need to try and get a refund on these 2 purchases?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
To all Streetfighter Alpha fans on here... : D I have a question! Basically I have had a bit of an interest in the Apha series for quite some time, but not a die-hard fan, more a "casual" fan..so I recently purchased SF:A part 1 and 2 of the PSN store (yes I know they aren't the best ports of the game compared to the Saturn etc..)

Basically after having purchased the games I found out that you can't control the characters other than using the D-Pad which is a nightmare!! (Why no analogue support I don't know) so in light of that can anyone recommend a fighting control pad that would be compatible with these 2 games? Or will I need to try and get a refund on these 2 purchases?

Wait, no d-pad support? What? How? Both of those games came out before the PS1 even had analog sticks...

Wait, no d-pad support? What? How? Both of those games came out before the PS1 even had analog sticks...

I think he's trying to say it only supports the dpad.

I think he ruled out the Sega CD due to some sort of hardware complications rendering it not feasible as a realistic solution for most people to install themselves.

Thats too bad. I've never had to look but hopefully optical drives are available for the Sega CD. I'll be real sad when mine goes if there's no replacements online.

I assume you're looking for a PS3 controller? Many HID USB pad work on PS3 out of the box but I don't think they're all compatible with PSOne archive releases. Safest bet would be the Hori Fighting Commander 3.

KC-Slater

Thats too bad. I've never had to look but hopefully optical drives are available for the Sega CD. I'll be real sad when mine goes if there's no replacements online.

I think you can source the replacement drives/lenses/lasers or whatever for Sega CD pretty easily online. I've been tempted to buy a broken model 1 cheap, and try getting it back up can running.

It would be amazing if someone could somehow allow loading Sega CD games through a genesis everdrive. Probably impossible.

What would be cool is if the genesis everdrive could have some kind of ribbon cable attachment that you install into the CD drive to feed it data.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
It's cool. I got a lot done, got bored, went for a walk, came back an hour later, and now I feel pretty good.

Would recommend.

I think you can source the replacement drives/lenses/lasers or whatever for Sega CD pretty easily online. I've been tempted to buy a broken model 1 cheap, and try getting it back up can running.

I've replaced optical drives on several consoles over the years. It's an easy way to score a console on the cheap. Don't model 1s use belts though? You'll always have issues there.

Top Bottom