• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch League players will get $50K/year minimum, benefits, 50% prize winnings

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think these are the highest guarantees in eSports currently? Not sure what League offers though.

Venturebeat said:
Being a professional gamer isn't easy. Your earnings often depend on how much you win, which is sometimes out of your control (especially in a team-based game). But Overwatch's ambitious esports project is guaranteeing players a salary with benefits. Blizzard released new details about the Overwatch League, its upcoming esports organization for its hit team-based shooter. Notably, Blizzard announced that professional players on Overwatch League teams will earn a minimum of $50,000 a year.
Overwatch League players will receive health insurance and retirement savings plans. Also, 50 percent of all performance-based bonuses (winnings from playoffs and special events) must go to a team's players. Total available bonuses in the first season will amount to $3.5 million.
Source: https://venturebeat.com/2017/07/26/...watch-league-players-at-least-50000-per-year/

Edit:

It looks like Heroes of the Storm (Blizzard) is $100K per team per year and League of Legends (Riot) is $12.5K per player per split. I'm not sure any other games have minimum salaries.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I added the Heroes of the Storm and League of Legends numbers I could find to the OP, since I think they're the only other games with minimum salaries. I could be wrong about those two being the only games, or have outdated information, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Wereroku

Man this is going to make team players blood thirsty. If you have any sort of slump you are probably going to get cut fast. Are they going to have a minor league for players or is that going to be non league games?

So some orgs are going to be taking 30%+ is winnings fucking lmao.

I mean in this case they have to let the teams retain some of the prize money since they have to pay millions for a team license.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Man this is going to make team players blood thirsty. If you have any sort of slump you are probably going to get cut fast. Are they going to have a minor league for players or is that going to be non league games?

There is some kind of minors league, but I'm not 100% clear on how that works.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
If I were a younger chap, maybe I'd have a tiny, .01% chance to do this.

As a 28 year old with rapidly decreasing hand/eye coordination and overall reaction time and dexterity? Not a chance in the world.

Honestly, work is work is work... but I can't think of many jobs I'd rather have. That's a legitimate salary.

Guevara

jYT8MKi.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's actually pretty nuts. Good on you, Blizzard. I hope one day the FGC can get to that level.
I can't really imagine anyone but a Western publisher spendin that much (or providing a minimum salary at all honesty), so For Honor or Netherrealm's games are probably the best bet.

Edit:

Oh, right, the LoL fighter if it ever comes out.

Stygr

Banned
I can speak for Dota2 scene, only the teams are paying the players and the monthly salary is unknown, a part from that, they earn a lot of money by winning Valve Tournaments. This year, if you win TI7 you will get 10 million USD for your team.

Wereroku

I can't really imagine anyone but a Western publisher spendin that much (or providing a minimum salary at all honesty), so For Honor or Netherrealm's games are probably the best bet.

Edit:

Oh god I just realized it's 50K minimum I wonder when Blizzard will have to institute a salary cap because a single team collects all the best and dominates everything.

Hopeford

If I were a younger chap, maybe I'd have a tiny, .01% chance to do this.

As a 28 year old with rapidly decreasing hand/eye coordination and overall reaction time and dexterity? Not a chance in the world.

Honestly, work is work is work... but I can't think of many jobs I'd rather have. That's a legitimate salary.

I wouldn't, honestly. Video games are things I easily get tired of, and making a specific game my job is something I just wouldn't be able to do. Between the insane pressure, toxic community, needing to be in front of a computer/tv that many hours a day...personally I would go nuts.

Much respect to those guys because man I don't think I'd want to do that.

CryptiK

I mean in this case they have to let the teams retain some of the prize money since they have to pay millions for a team license.
30-50 is quite ridiculous. 0-20 scaled is the norm. I can already see some orgs undermining the players and taking a 50% cut at a minimum salary which would be a joke.

Cynn

If you're 28 and suffering from rapidly decreasing coordination and reaction time you may want to see a doctor. You're 20 years too early for that sort of decline.

Neoxon

Edit:

The problem with NRS games competitively is that they don't usually garner the competition that the likes of Street Fighter, Smash, & (now) Tekken do. And even then, NRS is currently only matching Capcom in money for their Injustice 2 league (though matching Capcom on their first try is impressive). Riot's fighting game does have a shot at that kind of money & competition, though.

Wereroku

30-50 is quite ridiculous. 0-20 scaled is the norm. I can already see some orgs undermining the players and taking a 50% cut at a minimum salary which would be a joke.

I mean 50% is the least you have to give to players. I can see higher returns being a recruitment tool. Maybe you are only offering minimum salary but you offer 90% of the pot. Giving the team a tool like that is crazy. I wonder if they would be allowed to have different prize sharing for prominent players or if it has to be equal across the whole team.

They'll still need a roommate to live in the few cities that have pro teams on that salary, but it's a start.

I mean realistically the team doesn't need to live in the same state as the team is based since they will travel to play anyway unless this league is going to have the concept of home and away games.

Ashhong

I think these are the highest guarantees in eSports currently? Not sure what League offers though.

Source: https://venturebeat.com/2017/07/26/...watch-league-players-at-least-50000-per-year/

Edit:

It looks like Heroes of the Storm (Blizzard) is $100K per team per year and League of Legends (Riot) is $12.5K per player per split. I'm not sure any other games have minimum salaries.

But on top of that, LOL teams also pay the players right? Is this 50k just from Blizzard or will teams pay more on top of that?

They'll still need a roommate to live in the few cities that have pro teams on that salary, but it's a start.

They really don't.

I'm happy for that a decent living salary is being paid but at the same time, I'm sure many are salty af. There are people attend post secondary for years and took out student loans in the process and they don't make that much. Oh well, such is life.

Blam

Sorta stupid percentage for winnings sure they paid $20 million for the license but it should be around 60 or 70 not 50% because i know for a fact theres gonna be a story about some team getting scamming out of their percentages.

CEJames

Oh man...so Is there a minimum requirement to be considered for this besides getting some league of your friends together?

Blizzard also revealed that teams will be able to sign players for the league’s first season from August 1 to October 30. Technically, any of Overwatch’s over 30 million players are eligible.

Seems too easy...

a harpy

Oh man...so Is there a minimum requirement to be considered for this besides getting some league of your friends together?

Seems too easy...

Doesn't being in the league have a $20m buy in?

edit: I mean to own the team. not per player or anything. still crazy high. it'll take a lot of seasons before this becomes profitable for the owners, won't it?

Dawn of a new age of competition.
We made it boys.
Gaming is now being treated as a competitive scene worth watching and investing while providing a job with benefits for some cool people.

Rockk

Happy for all the TF2 pros that make it even if most of them do dislike the game. Hopefully Blizzard will fix the game to make it better for them.

Top Bottom