• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch League players will get $50K/year minimum, benefits, 50% prize winnings

Kumubou

I can't really imagine anyone but a Western publisher spendin that much (or providing a minimum salary at all honesty), so For Honor or Netherrealm's games are probably the best bet.

Edit:

Oh, right, the LoL fighter if it ever comes out.
Sega used to pay a stipend to "star players" in VF and had a whole qualification system for it and everything (and Sega was doing this going all the way back to VF2!), and Konami has the #1 ranked Beatmania IIDX player on their payroll as a sponsored player.

Both of these examples were done for promotional purposes for their respective arcade games. I do agree that I don't see a Japanese publisher doing this for a console release in the near future, especially with the weird legal issues they have in Japan with regard to that sort of thing.

(One kind of bizarre example is with Cygames, who sponsors SF5 and Magic: The Gathering players... but not players for their own CCG.)

Nor do I think it makes sense for any fighting game at this point, really -- they're just not big enough (for a myriad of reasons). The rumored fighter from Riot could be an exception to that... if it ever comes out

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I need to start playing more online MP...

Cot damn.

Shit, let me tell my son about this...

BlakeofT

I just hope that the people who do this go to school with their earnings so that they can get a more traditional job once they're no longer able to compete.

Honestly, work is work is work... but I can't think of many jobs I'd rather have.

That's an oxymoron, and only if you have jobs you don't like or find unfulfilling. If you are able to do something you are passionate about or what you always wanted, everything else is work is work is work.

It's hard to understate of much of a big bet this is for everyone involved. Competitive Overwatch pre-League is nowhere near popular enough to sustain this kind of money, and Blizzard doesn't exactly have the greatest track record in organising eSports. If the League doesn't launch with a bang, I could see it fizzle out within a couple of years.

Yeah I thought nobody watched overwatch. Is it getting more popular?

It's hard to say because since Overwatch League was announced neither Blizzard, the players, or 3rd parties have thrown their full attention to Overwatch esports. We will really only know for sure once season 1 starts, although Contenders season 1 starts in a few weeks which is a good measure of the scene right now.

shira

I knew I should have picked up overwatch instead of finishing college.

DGKTWkaWsAE1bII.jpg

You probably should have picked up Dota 2.

11 $1000k tournaments
11 $300k tournaments

$14.3M Season
~$25M Final Tournament

Top Bottom