• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch at 4.7 million | ARMS: 1.18 Million, Zelda: 3.92M, Mario Kart 3.54M

I'm just kidding about Bomberman R. Just saying there's really not much noteworthy 3rd party games released so far other than the few mentioned.

We still have to wait for the other games to get released before we can see a much clearer picture about 3rd party sales on the Switch.

Ah ok.

Yeah Fifa and Skyrim will likely be the big test for third parties on the Switch this year. I do expect Skyrim to sell pretty well, not sure about Fifa. It looks good though.

Dem ARMS numbers! Glad to see it's hit platinum already. :D

irUfPmY.gif

I doubt it. I'd put it on ARMS level.

Splatoon 2 will by far exceed ARMS.

Guymelef

Sticking to 10 million by next March is absurd considering they are already halfway through the figure in March-July, a new Super Mario is coming, Monter Hunter is coming, Christmas is coming, Splatoon is barely off the starting line...

Pretty sure Nintendo previsions works more according to production than what it's coming.

SalvaPot

So ARMS almost got the same sales numbers as Kid Icarus Uprising, and better sales than Metroid Prime 2 and 3, Pikmin 2 and 2, F-Zero GX, and probably lots more Nintendo games that I am forgetting about.

Probably because there is nothing better to buy on the Switch /s

Shiggy

Sticking to 10 million by next March is absurd considering they are already halfway through the figure in March-July, a new Super Mario is coming, Monter Hunter is coming, Christmas is coming, Splatoon is barely off the starting line...

1.97m/10m = less than 20%

So if they cannot increase production very much, they may feel more secure to stick to that 10m forecast for now.

jts

...hate me...
MK8's eternal power and impact.

Arms'... um. Not-splatoon impact, I guess. ��

Anyway... Spla2oon coming for wigs

Tbf, ARMS is selling at a not very different rate from the first Splatoon, in a much less popular genre. They both sold about a million in the first month.

Scratch that, didn't realize that the 1.18 million ARMS figure was up to the 30th of June. That makes it a more successful launch than the original Splatoon lol.

Fukuzatsu

Well it isn't that simple. Monster Hunter XX is likely not coming to the West (or if it is at least not soon), and the holiday sales will depend a lot on the supply situation at that point. Mario and Splatoon will do well for the system no doubt, it's what happens between them that leaves room for doubt as to whether they can hit 10 million by next March.

I don't understand how ARMS has sold that much given the figures we know.

For June NPD it sold about 250k including digital.

Japan physical was around 150k last time I checked?

UK it sold less than 15k in June. France it debuted at number 1 but quickly slipped below Zelda and MK8. Germany it didn't set the charts alight.

Where are all these extra copies coming from to get over a million in two weeks?

This. Did Nintendo just stuff channels? If so I wouldn't count on sales going much higher just yet.

ksamedi

I think 10 million is for april to april next year. March is not counted. That would put the total at 12.7 million shipped.

Enzo88

At this point it`s probably all they can manufacture, i am assuming.

jdstorm

Banned
Yeah, that's the thing with ARMS. Even if Splatoon doesn't kill its userbase, it likely has a very negative effect on ARMS continued sales. Someone who wants to pick up a competetive multiplayer game has to decide between ARMS and Splatoon and, well, Splatoon is frankly an easier sell for a quite a few reasons. Kinda baffling to me that Nintendo released these games so close to each other.

Still, nice to see it broke a million.

Nintendo was trying to get a whole bunch of online multiplayer titles out there to justify making people sign up for paid online. Although Nintendo changed their plans and now their online system is still TBD.

Neiteio

Isn't Rocket League also releasing this fall?

I think that'll sell gangbusters on Switch.
Rocket League is a must-buy for Nintendo fans. Game feels fantastic from the moment you pump the gas and perform a double jump. It's fun at a fundamental level, like the best Nintendo games. I can see it catching on with Switch owners.

Thoraxes

XX Switch is a port of a game that's an expansion for a previously released game, and the 3DS SKU of XX already sold 1.5m+ copies on 3DS and will have been out for 5 months by the time XX Switch hits.

I don't think it's going to do the gangbusters people think.

z0m3le

Banned
13.6M total softeare
-3.92M Zelda
-3.54M MK8
-1.22 1-2 Switch.
-1.18M ARMS

That's ~ 3-3.5M of third party software for 4.7M consoles.

Not really good this part...

Skyrim is the biggest 3rd party game this whole year, time to think a bit harder about why Nintendo published games are taking up the majority of sales. The makeup of the Switch user base is vastly different than previous Nintendo console owners, so as 3rd parties start to release their games on the platform, you will start to see 3rd party sales percentage rise.

You also have for the first time ever, a real reason to buy that 3rd party multiplat on the Nintendo platform over Microsoft's or Sony's and that is baked into the concept of the device. (play anywhere functionality) Personally as a PC gamer, Switch interests me in ways that no Nintendo device has ever interested me before, and I can see myself getting big AAA games on the Switch, publishers only have to be brave enough to port their games.

jts

...hate me...
Isn't Rocket League also releasing this fall?

I think that'll sell gangbusters on Switch.
Holiday season rather than Fall, unfortunately.

One of my top 3 wanted Switch games for this year. The other 2 are Mario and FIFA.

Fukuzatsu

Guys, stop quoting that post

This may be a good opportunity to see how much the market actually values the portability of the system. This is the first real batch of big third party titles, and most if not all are available in a better state on PS4 or PC. If people are serious about ideas like "portable Skyrim as a concept has new value", then this will be the time to see it bear fruit.

gtj1092

Does Nintendo not give out quarterly results? All the numbers in the OP are cumulative. Also does anyone have the actual earnings?

AniHawk

not great. But also not many notable games. Bomberman takes a big chunk.

But when the games are mostly indies and games like Disgaea, they might very well be pleased with their numbers.

If the situation looks the same a year from now after Sonic, Fifa, NBA, Sonic, MH, DQ11, etc then it'll be worrying

yeah. disgaea only makes up a small part of that 3m+, but it's a huge success relative to the company. the game continues to do well and it's on track to outsell the ps4 version before the end of the year.

Mr Swine

Banned
XX Switch is a port of a game that's an expansion for a previously released game, and the 3DS SKU of XX already sold 1.5m+ copies on 3DS and will have been out for 5 months by the time XX Switch hits.

I don't think it's going to do the gangbusters people think.

Capcom is lucky if it does 300k in Japan

Mory Dunz

The more I think about it, the harder ARMS numbers are to process given the Retail+Digital sales of USA, and the Retail sales of Japan.

edit:

KtSlime

Yeah cause I'm sure there are millions of people rushing out to buy a Switch to play the latest indie game?

Indie games are nice to have on a console but the majority of people aren't buying the console for them.

I was under the impression early adopters got PS4 to play resogun.

notaskwid

1,2 switch and Arms numbers seem way inflated compared to the numbers we know, especially Arms.

Great results for Zelda and Mario Kart.

Top Bottom