• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy 20th Birthday Rage Racer!

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
and knowing isamu he will not own this at all and instead just keep pushing on telling us about rage racer

baconcow

isamu must be gone to the future Ridge Racer 30th anniversary party, unable to respond. Maybe if we wait until 2027, isamu will necro this thread with a quick response.

ullaqld.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
God this was good.

The vertical variation in the track was so awesome, and the MUSIC.

Ummmf

Yeah the verticality stood out to me - you could hear your engine struggling up steep hills and had to keep your momentum up. I really liked the aesthetic too. Definitely my favourite of the series.

Why is Deckard banned? Shit he was an old timer like me. Hope not perma :(

PantsuJo

Gimme another Ridge Racer, Namco.

GAF, let's do something: storm the Bamco Twitter account with replies, petitions, something...

I can't accept the lack of new, true Ridge Racer.

I was 11 years late to the party having only got this game 19 years ago, but it felt pretty new at the time. I loved it back then, it got genuinely difficult in the later stages and all the more satisfying when you won.

Tried playing it a couple of years ago though and Christ. The ridiculously terrible collision model made it really hard to play.

Totally ignoring the spacetime continuum for a second, is there any reason why this game didn't get a re-release back when sony were actually releasing PS1 games? My only experience with the game was an old demo, which I liked but never got round to getting the full game.

-Amon-

Ridge Racer 4 was better.

PS: props to the gentleman that brought up the NegCon, the best controller ever made for racing games.

AmyS

Early Rage Racer screens before it had it's proper title from EDGE, Next Generation.

Edit: It seems NG reviewed twice, and talked about the review in their letters.

Rave Racer, the 3rd arcade title in the Ridge Racer series, is an entirely different game

lKEayh6.jpg

EGM

mTRzJgg.jpg

(notice the second preview finally has the proper title)

LmUtNXi.jpg

cZOyJlx.jpg

x1aCAwI.jpg

Ultra Game Players

5N5Sh06.jpg

SuzHu6X.jpg

GamePro

KscMPPT.jpg

2xdyYXL.jpg

GameFan

rrxTUzF.jpg

5xohxq5.jpg

0NICVUc.jpg

79Q0MRR.jpg

FI7mJJe.jpg

I spent a lot of time trying to make a Mugen logo in the hood livery -_-

Game is probably still my favorite and most played 'time trial' racer .... used to spend ages trying to shave just an extra second off my records.

Ridge Racer Type 4 is still classic for me too but Rage Racer is actually my favorite in the series.

I only remember the track from the vid in the OP, but Rage Racer was probably my favourite 'realistic' (so not like CTR or Outrun) racing game.
Did this ever make it to PSN?

I love how the intro to Rage Racer had the names of all the music tracks scroll down, as if they were some form of great accomplishment.

Little did Namco know at the time that it was the wackest soundtrack of the whole RR series.

First thing i did was question my age, So cheers for the brain fart OP.

Rage racer was my fave racer on the playstation along with V-Rally.

Even the mirrored tracks didnt bother me that much.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Waves from the future...HI GUYS!!!!!

Seriously though yeah I legit fucked this up. I honestly for some strange reason didn't realize that 2017-1997 is only 20. Legit thought it was 30 years ago and didn't even double check, so I just rushed and posted it right after waking up LOL.

My bad guys, here's the REAL banner!!!

Happy-20th-birthday-title-Motion-Graphic-16002.jpg

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It's 2027 and there's still no news on that FFVII remake, Square. We need to talk.

(Happy 20th, Rage Racer. <3)

Type 4 will forever be my favourite, but I love Rage too as something of a precursor to 4 and a more moody setting than the original, RRR or Rave. Hell of a soundtrack too.

Disgrace that 4 is the only one on the PS Store too.

Lettuce

The gritty look of Rage Racer was a real shock to the system when i first saw if especially going from the sun soaked vista's of the first 2 PSX outings but you quickly forgot that when you found out how much deeper the game was.

Top Bottom