• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EuroMIX

The Wii U has a GPU in it that can make use of HDMI and the Wii didn't. Maybe Nintendo could have put a HDMI output on the Wii and then people could of hooked there Wii up that way, but there could be certain video and audio spec that needed to be met. It could have also been price but Im not sure exactly which reason fits best for why no HDMI port was on the Wii. Anyway, whatever needs to be done to emulate, scale, and/or smooth a old game on the Wii U it will happen internally and then go through the output, being a Wii U HDMI port in this case.

If you are using a 720p HD tv then you would choose that in the Wii U output settings and the system will output the NES game and then either the system or TV will scale it to fit the screen.

I don't think there should be any problems with playing NES games on Wii U once you grab them off the VC eShop.

And what about PAL games that don't support Component and HDMI? How would that work?

Stewox

Banned
Well yes, I'm not contesting that. I'm simply pointing out that performance costs for rendering at 1080p over 720p are quite high, optimisation or not.

It's may not be optimizable but it's not that high, depends on alot on postprocessing and effects. It's cant be a fixed value, every engine is different, every game has a bit different effects intensity and all the other stuff.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
What is that ?
Dropping stuff from being drawn. Which might be the only option allowing you keep your performance on scenes for which the GPU might not be able to cover the 2.25x fillrate hike.

Jumpman23

Based on the upcoming pricing announcement for Wii U, I wonder if Nintendo also drops the price of the Wii and if so, to what and when. A good drop could invigorate system sales and could get them some additional holiday dollars this year.

cube444

Based on the upcoming pricing announcement for Wii U, I wonder if Nintendo also drops the price of the Wii and if so, to what and when. A good drop could invigorate system sales and could get them some additional holiday dollars this year.

I agree but if they drop Wii price before or right at Wii U launch it might confuse some consumers even further. They might buy the much cheaper Wii over the Wii U.

blu

Dropping draws is not optimization.
Well, then, you may face situations where you cannot take the res increase, no matter what you do. For reference, a 2.25x fillrate increase as a bare minimum would require 16 ROPs @~600MHz, before even considering the increased fb and texture BW* requirements and ALU resources**.

* Even without upping the tex assets res, drawing the same texture at higher res can cause the use of higher LODs, ergo higher texel BW.
** Frankly, I expect the U-GPU to not have issues there (i.e. meeting a hypothetical 2.25x bump vs the Xenos).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's may not be optimizable but it's not that high, depends on alot on postprocessing and effects. It's cant be a fixed value, every engine is different, every game has a bit different effects intensity and all the other stuff.

You seem to be underplaying the cost of rendering at 1080p over 720p, and I disagree with that assertion, even though I agree engine and asset optimisation plays a significant role in performance.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
** Frankly, I expect the U-GPU to not have issues there (i.e. meeting a hypothetical 2.25x bump vs the Xenos).

And there's a second screen thats going to consume fillrate.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Dropping stuff from being drawn. Which might be the only option allowing you keep your performance on scenes for which the GPU might not be able to cover the 2.25x fillrate hike.

Well, cutting stuff isn't the only option. They could still render different buffers at the same resolution to reduce the fillrate usage.

Which makes me wonder. Does Nintendo mandate that devs must use the WiiPad screen?

It needs to display something on it at all times, yes.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Not necessarily very much, though. Can be as low as 12MFLOPS if my math is correct (one operation per pixel at 30FPS).

I would imagine that devs would like to have a little more going on with that second screen.

Which makes me wonder. Does Nintendo mandate that devs must use the WiiPad screen?

I would imagine that devs would like to have a little more going on with that second screen.

No. Back around E3 2011, someone from Nintendo said other developers should not feel obligated to use the screen. Same as 3D on 3DS.

Would Nintendo allow a blank (or off) screen? Well, I guess that's why they created the pro controller.

They allow 3rd parties to make 3DS games that don't use 3D, I'm sure they won't force Gamepad usage. Especially when you can use the Wiimote/Nunchuck to play Pikmin 3, without the Gamepad.

wsippel

Banned

It's enough for maps, inventories and all kinds of menus, and that's what most games seem to use the GamePad for. And I don't think Nintendo mandates anything whatsoever these days.

Would Nintendo allow a blank (or off) screen? Well, I guess that's why they created the pro controller.

I have wondered that, though I noticed that during AC3 cutscenes the screen would go off. Maybe there would be some kind of placeholder image if someone wanted to pass on screen usage.

What's the point then? You can get a PS3 or 360 with a much better catalog cheaper. I hope wiipad screen is mandatory

Until PS360 gets HD (insert Nintendo first party title here), there will always be a point. :)

Beaten by Suomi.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, the few Nintendo first party titles against the full PS3 or 360 catalog which has platinum and cheap second hand games. I don't think that will enough in this economy

I hope I'm wrong

So, I guess people will just keep their 360 and Ps3 for ever and ever. Also, the Wii.

Diablos54

Yeah, the few Nintendo first party titles against the full PS3 or 360 catalog which has platinum and cheap second hand games. I don't think that will enough in this economy

I hope I'm wrong
Just like the 360 with a few games against the huge catalog of PS2 and GameCube games? Or even the Wii against the 360/PS3 catalog?

OniShiro

Banned
So, I guess people will just keep their 360 and Ps3 for ever and ever. Also, the Wii.
Better than buying the Wii U if it has no games except a few Nintendo first party titles. Just look at the Vita, imagine if the same thing happens to the Wii U.

daakusedo

I don't know why there's talk about that, putting items management, menus or whatever is so easy and already bring lot of comfort that I don't expect to see one game not using the screen.

blu

Well, cutting stuff isn't the only option. They could still render different buffers at the same resolution to reduce the fillrate usage.
Of course, but I was strictly considering the scenario where all screen-space-relevant render targets got the 2.25x bump. Otherwise you could argue that upping your fb target res while keeping all other targets at their old resolutions is equivalent to 'not drawing stuff'. After all, that's what the video-scaler chip does - it takes the title's 'fixed res' fb and scales that to whatever your tv res of the day is.

wsippel

Banned
Don't listen to him, PS3 has plenty of games. There's Resistance, GT5, Uncharted and a couple more I can't remember.
I know that. I own all consoles, and I know very well why I bought each and every one of them. And I don't even like or own GT or Uncharted. Or Halo. Or Mario for that matter, yet I still plan to buy a Wii U day one.

nikatapi

It would be a good idea if the gamepad screen is not utilized in a game to either turn off completely or maybe it would be some kind of multitasking center, something to show Miiverse notifications, messages from friends etc.

Actually i think it would be neat to have such a feature, without the need to exit the game. Just pause and have accessibility of the OS features on the gamepad for browser, notifications, settings etc.
Maybe a similar feature is implemented in a way, if we consider the huge amount of RAM rumored to be accessible only for OS functions.

cand

I hope I'm wrong

Dude, I rather have a console that has 6 good games from Nintendo than 1 gazilion of games that has ports for PC (wich I have). If the game is good, doen't matter if it has 3D, AA, Jesus resolution. A good game is a good game regardless. So when you ask yourself why should you buy a game that doesn't have all these features, first try to see how good it is.

OniShiro

Banned
Dude, I rather have a console that has 6 good games from Nintendo than 1 gazilion of games that has ports for PC (wich I have). If the game is good, doen't matter if it has 3D, AA, Jesus resolution. A good game is a good game regardless. So when you ask yourself why should you buy a game that doesn't have all these features, first try to see how good it is.
I agree, but are you saying the PS3 or 360 have no good games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom