• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
What would it take for a 3rd party game to sell the most on Wii U, or even just do well on Wii U?
Either through sheer numbers of Wii U owners buying it or simply make the game an appealing product that attracts people to buy the Wii U version above all else.

I'd be pretty shocked if Nintendo didn't stream the conference on the 13th in some way with how crazy they went with streaming the E3 conference.

Granted E3 is a bigger affair but you think they'd want as many people as possible to know the price and launch date.

Hiltz

I'd be pretty shocked if Nintendo didn't stream the conference on the 13th in some way with how crazy they went with streaming the E3 conference.

Granted E3 is a bigger affair but you think they'd want as many people as possible to know the price and launch date.

There's that rumor of GameStop apparently planning to do a live stream.

Anth0ny

Release at the same time as the other games (assuming multi-plat) and utilize the gamepad in a way that truly makes it stand out in comparison.

I doubt even that is enough, considering it would be up against two consoles with way bigger install bases.

RE4 on PS2 outsold RE4 on Gamecube. By a lot. And that was a dumbed down port released months later. But that's what happens when PS2 has 3x the install base of the GC. Wii U will be fighting a similar battle against the 360 and PS3.

As for next gen multiplats... I can see the consumer siding with prettier graphics over fully utilized gamepad support.

Unfortunately that warning screen isn't going anywhere. I could see them having it pop up for a few seconds after a normal boot up screen, or move it away from the boot up sequence to having it pop up when launching a game.

Stewox

Banned
I would make a petition that Starfox should be more aerial focused.

I don't know how miyamoto justifies the idea of turning it into another FPA like zelda, i think it was not a good idea. Starfox Adventures should be renewd and Starfox should stay aerial only. I am always for having separation rather than all-in-one.

As far as I know models are always made more detailed by the modellers, and then optimized for the consoles / PC.
Possibly dumbish question regarding this... from looking at the Dolphin and the JPCSP threads, particularly the latter, and from iirc some Digital Foundry stuff about some of the HD collections...

What's stopping developers from doing this:
java-2012-06-02-09-45-10-45.png

java-2012-06-01-20-17-48-73.png
On the Wii U. (Example is something of an exaggeration of course)

NBtoaster

Possibly dumbish question regarding this... from looking at the Dolphin and the JPCSP threads, particularly the latter, and from iirc some Digital Foundry stuff about some of the HD collections...

Changing resolution for a multiplat game is trivial. It's all a matter of if the Wii U can handle it or optimisation.

Resolution increases probably wont happen often for PS360 ports because of upad usage though.

Sadist

I just realized; at 16:00 EU time on thursday I'll start my shift :(

Won't know anything until seven hours later. Bummer.

D-e-f-

Banned
Is there going to be European details on the 13th as well? I'm behind the loop.

No. There will 100% without a doubt not be a price announcement for Europe because they'll pull the "retailers set the price in EU" card again. So do not expect a price! NoE also said they don't have a separate date so the best you can hope for is that they tweet or send a press release that has the EU launch date with finalized price points on online retailers about 24h later.

Is Nintendo going to have a pre-TGS conference like they did last year?

Errr... you mean aside from the Sep. 13 event? There'll probably be a Japanese Wii U-centered Nintendo Direct around the same time which will act as a pre-TGS thing since Iwata said that they'd talk about Japanese Wii U stuff outside of the NY conference.

What would it take for a 3rd party game to sell the most on Wii U, or even just do well on Wii U?

an instant 50+ million install base?
timed exclusivity?
other versions are hidden away at every store and not advertised?
a multi-billionaire to buy all the Wii U copies?

seriously, it's not possible. the system is just coming out and multiplatform titles compete with a HUGE install base of dozens of millions consoles/PCs out there. it's not even worth entertaining the thought at this point.

as for the "do well" part, it should make its money back and then some.

Developers? Why developers? The Wii U will not render old games at higher resolutions than what they were programmed for which is what is happening in those emulators. It will play the disc you put in as-is and maybe have some "smoothing" filter or slight upscaling that will make it look a little cleaner but nowhere near as good as those high resolution renders you get form PC emulators.

Developers? Why developers? The Wii U will not render old games at higher resolutions than what they were programmed for which is what is happening in those emulators. It will play the disc you put in as-is and maybe have some "smoothing" filter or slight upscaling that will make it look a little cleaner but nowhere near as good as those high resolution renders you get form PC emulators.
I'm not so much referring to running old Wii games... so much as in porting multiplatform games.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm not so much referring to running old Wii games... so much as in porting multiplatform games.

Resolution is resolution. It's not a hard thing to increase on a purely technical level, but the processing costs are very high when you move from 720p to 1080p. I'm not convinced the Wii U has the resources to comfortably render current generation titles at a stable 30+fps 1080p (though I could be wrong).

That's what it comes down to really: processing cost. Carmack estimated that next generation systems would chew up roughly all of their performance gain if you tried to render current generation titles at 60fps 1080p on that hardware. You can gain huge performance boosts dropping the resolution to 720p, and developers will be more inclined to stick with a safe, high performance resolution versus crippling their games at 1080p.

EuroMIX

Makes me wonder what NES games would look like played in HD on a bigger screen without any added effects, unless the Wii U uses some kind of classic scaling or whatever.

D-e-f-

Banned

Then I don't really know what you're asking. You can't compare running a simple PSP game or Wii game on high end/very modern PCs to running console game on another console that has a little more juice but by far not in the same way a PC has more power than a PSP!

I don't know the math but going from 720p to 1080p is what? 4 times the resolution? Regardless, it's a lot and you can't just flip a switch and boom your console game port runs at max resolution on another system without eating up a lot of resources.

If you want the detailed tech answer, wait for someone who knows about that to reply but if you're okay with the general thing I wrote up then just accept that it's not that easy.

edit: yea, see EC's post :)

EuroMIX

sprites don't work like that.

Then explain. How will a NES game look when run through a HD connection? Are their no issues there?

Edit: I raised a similar question many pages back when I asked how Nintendo would handle the (probably only just) PAL VC games that can't be played through Component or HDMI, on a system that will use the latter as its main output.

Jackano

Then explain. How will a NES game look when run through a HD connection? Are their no issues there?

Edit: I raised a similar question many pages back when I asked how Nintendo would handle the (probably only just) PAL VC games that can't be played through Component or HDMI, on a system that will use the latter as its main output.

The answer is obvious, make VC games to play only on the subscreen. Let your 32" HDTV alone and play on the gamepad. End of story.

D-e-f-

Banned

Didn't somebody answer your question, though? I remember there was some kind of answer.

Have you ever seen something like the Sonic Genesis/Mega Drive Collection in action? NES games will still look like NES games. They'll look a little crisper because you're displaying them on an LCD/LED TV instead of a CRT but that is all. The 8-bit sprites don't change, they're not polygons.

Just run any NES/SNES game on your PC through an emulator, that's how they'll look.

EuroMIX

The answer is obvious, make VC games to play only on the subscreen. Let your 32" HDTV alone and play on the gamepad. End of story.

That doesn't sound like the solution Nintendo would go for (GamePad or nothing), especially considering that we aren't even sure if VC games can be played on the GamePad or not.

I'm assuming that Nintendo will have to provide some way to make all VC games playable natively through HDMI. I'm just wondering if anyone can explain how.

EuroMIX

Didn't somebody answer your question, though? I remember there was some kind of answer.

Have you ever seen something like the Sonic Genesis/Mega Drive Collection in action? NES games will still look like NES games. They'll look a little crisper because you're displaying them on an LCD/LED TV instead of a CRT but that is all. The 8-bit sprites don't change, they're not polygons.

Just run any NES/SNES game on your PC through an emulator, that's how they'll look.
I don't recall there being a definitive answer. IIRC, the person/people who responded weren't sure either.

I know that sprites aren't polygons.

Nintendo's proprietary emulation method is a different beast from how PC emulators handle it, especially considering that they don't even support aspect ratio tweaking.

Difference between my PC and the Wii is that I can easly play a ROM on the former, but the latter doesn't work with Component and HDMI, the latter soon to be the Wii U's main output. I want to know how Nintendo will fix that issue and if trying to play any really old games will cause issues.

Apologies, double post.

it would suck if all we got were live blogging and late youtube videos so I am hoping NOA will update its website with Media for Press to spread around

Linkup

I don't recall there being a definitive answer. IIRC, the person/people who responded weren't sure either.

I know that sprites aren't polygons.

Nintendo's proprietary emulation method is a different beast from how PC emulators handle it, especially considering that they don't even support aspect ratio tweaking.

Difference between my PC and the Wii is that I can easly play a ROM on the former, but the latter doesn't work with Component and HDMI, the latter soon to be the Wii U's main output. I want to know how Nintendo will fix that issue and if trying to play any really old games will cause issues.

Apologies, double post.

The Wii U has a GPU in it that can make use of HDMI and the Wii didn't. Maybe Nintendo could have put a HDMI output on the Wii and then people could of hooked their Wii up that way, but there could be certain video and audio specs that needed to be met that the Wii didn't. It could have also been the cost but Im not sure exactly which reason fits best for why no HDMI port was on the Wii. Anyway, whatever needs to be done to emulate, scale, and/or smooth a old game on the Wii U it will happen internally and then go through the output, being a Wii U HDMI port in this case.

If you are using a 720p HD TV then you would choose that in the Wii U output settings and the system will output the NES game and then either the system or TV will scale it to fit the screen.

I don't think there should be any problems with playing NES games on Wii U once you grab them off the VC eShop.

Stewox

Banned
Resolution is resolution. It's not a hard thing to increase on a purely technical level, but the processing costs are very high when you move from 720p to 1080p. I'm not convinced the Wii U has the resources to comfortably render current generation titles at a stable 30+fps 1080p (though I could be wrong).

It's all a matter of optimization effort. Cheap ports don't just work better overall, they work worse.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's all a matter of optimization effort. Cheap ports don't just work better overall, they work worse.

Well yes, I'm not contesting that. I'm simply pointing out that performance costs for rendering at 1080p over 720p are quite high, optimisation or not.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
It really depends what you consider as 'optimisations'. Is cutting scene content optimisations?

jerd

I forget, is Nintendo partnering up with someone for the conference on Thursday? (like to be streamed live)

This is about as rumor as it gets, so I didn't post it before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hvZ0uOYoOM&feature=youtu.be

Supposedly this guy's Gamestop manager friend said that they will be showing it at Gamestops, but it was unclear if it would be a live stream or if they would be showing footage in stores after the event. I would normally say if something like this were planned, it would have been announced already, but with Nintendo maybe not. Personally I really doubt it is true, but it is pretty much all I've heard on this subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom