• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reviews for Netflix's American Vandal #whodrewthedicks

RedAssedApe

Banned
Not unlike its now iconic true-crime predecessors, the addictive American Vandal will leave one question on everyone's minds until the very end: Who drew the dicks?

lol...i'm so in after that trailer.

Rizific

dick drawing was my MO in jr high and high school. i also love true crime stuff. this show was basically made specifically for me.

edit: oh fuck, that trailer is AMAZING.

RedAssedApe

Banned
For those who are watching is this comparison apt:

Indie Wire said:
‘American Vandal’: How Two Guys Combined ‘Making a Murderer’ and ‘Freaks and Geeks’ and Got One of 2017’s Best Comedies

ErichWK

God dammit. This reminds me so much of being in High School and how immature and shitty and weird beeing a teenager was. This is amazing. Really well done.

TARS

Neo Member
First time hearing about this show, watched the trailer, read your reactions and now I know what I will be watching at home this weekend. Should be a good time.

Fuchsdh

The fact that halfway through it swerves into being a metacommentary on how fans of Serial started changing the rest of the show is pretty brilliant.

Fuchsdh

Finished up. I think some of the reviews are definitely right that by the end, it's leaning more into drama than comedy, although I don't think that's really a bad thing. The questions of "how can a series of dick jokes sustain a four hour miniseries" from the trailer were on point, because they can't (episode titles aside) and they don't from the halfway mark. I honestly started to forget it was about dick grafitti at parts, because it smartly segues into examining the role of the documentarian and the responsibility of being the "agent of truth", as well as viewing high school through the lens of a true crime wrapping.

ryseing

Pilot was absolutely incredible holy shit. Nailed the mockumentary style.

For those who are watching is this comparison apt:

Very much so, yes. Dylan and his friends are burnouts but they're portrayed in a sympathetic light.

And of course the whole shebang is a parody of the true crime docs.

Montresor

It's unbelievable that Netflix can put out so much quality so quickly.

It seems like every damn week there is something great coming from Netflix...

Fuchsdh

I'm just waiting for a twist at the end. All the innuendo about hard cocks is top-notch btw

I was pleasantly surprised by the ending, personally. It's got something of a swerve but
it ends up giving you all the answers you need, if not the ones you want. I like that it ends with the uncertainty that while they manage to clear an innocent person, they can't be so sure of who's guilty/

If there's two things that take me out of this, it's that the cinematography is way too good for high school students, and the fact that all the evidence in the documentary contains copious amounts of illegal activity by the teens goes completely unremarked by adults or administration.

neoanarch

The last episode is really good tv. I definitely agree at some point it becomes much more than some mockumentary. It is one of the best high school stories that have come out. Tops even 13 Reasons.

My God this is good. Its npr podcast shit town or serial.. but instead of murder, it's about dick drawings.

The wife and I watched through episode 2 and burst out laughing when they literally trace Dylan's timeline in the same way they did in Serial.

Watched all this today. Really enjoyed it and kept me engaged until the end. Definitely worth a watch as the episodes feel short enough to never get boring. Good stuff.

I'm up to episode 4.

Holy shit I'm enjoying it WAY more than I thought I'd. I'm actually involved in the whole thing, trying to pierce things together and I laughed quite a few times.

I am on episode 4 right now, too.

OMG, I died at the part about Ming's actual origin and the segment on Peter's motive. The look on his face after watching it.

lol

ryseing

Kaz is the best teacher

He reminds me of a History teacher I had in middle school who painstakingly tried to be cool.

I also had a Spanish teacher who was widely loved but had it out for me like Shapiro.

Unfortunately, I was not someone who regularly drew dicks on the whiteboard.

#samedickdifferentday

I'm watching this right now. And it's amazing
On Episode 3, they're kind of overdoing repeating old footage but otherwise it's hilarious.
You need to hear the podcast this is parodying and other similar shows. They love repeating the same talk points and going over and over to the same evidence.

Just finished. As a whole it's a very satirical and hilarious version of Serial, but emulation in satire form worked wonders because where Serial lost me over how serious it was and how I got bored of the narrator going over the same crap over and over again, in here it worked out because I had the sillier side to look forward to.

Then you start seeing the message behind making documentaries like these and about labels and you start seeing what the creators ultimate message is.

It's not messages we haven't heard day in day out in this day and age. But I think the combination plus the whole package was really worth it.

I was right there with many of you thinking Netflix was running out of ideas if they went for this, but I really fucking enjoyed it and binge it in one day.

Sam's side investigation

lol
Sam was the best character already, then that came out and he became a God.

Arkeband

Banned
You need to hear the podcast this is parodying and other similar shows. They love repeating the same talk points and going over and over to the same evidence.

'The podcast' being Serial? They're parodying a large number of true crime series that don't all have atrocious editing. Serial didn't even have a visual component, most of the charts they're mocking are found solely on their website so there's not a good parallel there.

Aside from that "gag" everything else has been great.

iammeiam

Just finished, and this was shockingly well done.

The general concept (srs investigation into who spray-painted dicks on teachers cars) seems like it sets up a mockumentary with humor like Seven Days in Hell or Tour de Pharmacy transplanted into the Making a Murderer framework that would be all over-the-top crude jokes and whatever.

But the actual show they've created works incredibly well because it takes its subject matter fairly seriously, and really commits to the true-crime format. Everything from the theories to the evidence to the twists and turns of the investigation to the parts where it gets kind of meta and acknowledges
the impact the growing popularity of the documentary has, or how the show ultimately impacts the lives of the characters
feels like they took it seriously. It still manages to be humorous and entertaining, but it does it while keeping the whodunnit at the core of the show interesting as an actual puzzle and not just a string of jokes about ball hair. And the casting is pretty perfect throughout. I also thought the ultimate resolution of the story was super satisfying.

This ended up being nothing like what I was expecting, and I do half worry that the premise will turn off people who might actually really enjoy it, but it's definitely in the top tier of Netflix originals in my opinion.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I thought there would be little chance of this working in a long-form multi-episode format but after:

Episode 2:
The lake mock up with line of sight simulation... among other simulations
I'm sold.

Fund more unique content like this Netflix.

Top Bottom