• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV |OT| The Dark Souls of Persona

Finally got around to finishing this one on the neutral route after I put it down a year ago in the middle of neutral endgame
challenge quests ho!

I think this one is tied with Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II on the Famicom for my favorite SMT game so far. Persona 2: IS and EP would probably be up there too, but I haven't tried them yet.

It fixes a ton of problems I had with the first Shin Megami Tensei, though I wish the alignment system wasn't entirely based on dialogue options like in Nocturne. SMT I and II at least gave you some wiggle room in that every action, from fusing demons, to accepting healing from aligned temples, to slaying demons of the same type as those in your party, would tilt your alignment in a fixed direction.

The IV system makes it really stressful to manage a neutral aligned run, no guide I've seen actually lists all the dialogue options and how they affect your alignment. That boned me over when I was clearing
Lilith's domain with Jonathan
and there were at least three major decisions not counted by the walkthroughs and alignment guides I've seen in circulation. If you're not following a guide, the only sane solution becomes to avoid challenge quests, save just before the
post Yamato Reactor bits
, play until alignment lock, and then go back to completing challenge quests to adjust your alignment if you didn't get the result you wanted.

Final dungeons were also disappointing. Somehow I got to trigger
Belial
to full heal and then cast almighty magic constantly because I THINK I was using the Luster Candy buff(?), so I used cheesy reflect magic instead to avoid his full heal cheapness and that fellow became a pushover. The last batch of sub-bosses and final bosses don't really pose any interesting challenges, besides questionable AI. This game holds true to a certain problem that Atlus RPGs have, in that it's easy to get sick of the combat system towards the last ten hours of your first playthrough. Having each late game battle come down to trading buffs and unblockable magic or maybe super-strong pew pew lasers makes the flow of combat less fun.

Neutral endgame could have also used at least one dungeon that was entirely its own. I guess they figured it was best to follow the SMT I example of forcing you to complete the dungeons and final bosses for Law and Chaos routes for neutral endgame, since Neutral's content that most people won't ever see, and call it a day.

The DLC bosses might address some of the problems I had with the endgame bosses, but from the sounds of other people's impressions, maybe not.

Otherwise, loved the setting, and the story ends on a nice note where everybody goes home happy in the Neutral end. Mixed feelings on IV Final, I only assume they're playing fast and loose with continuity since
I already saved Navarre in a challenge quest, and unless they're planning on wedging that game between all the moments when Flynn isn't in this universe, I'm not sure how it's going to work aside from an alternate universe.
I guess that's what happens when you make a sequel to a game that could have easily been the company's last, one Konami buyout away. brr.

Strongly recommend this game. Just take it easy for the endgame and don't force yourself through the last twenty or so hours. Atlus games could stand to be a bit more brief at times.

Oh man, I'm coming back to this game after a couple years, and I completely forgot the story and game systems lol. I'm in a red dungeon and just saved a prisoner with a snake mask, and I'm looking for two more prisoners.

The IV system makes it really stressful to manage a neutral aligned run, no guide I've seen actually lists all the dialogue options and how they affect your alignment. That boned me over when I was clearing
Lilith's domain with Jonathan
and there were at least three major decisions not counted by the walkthroughs and alignment guides I've seen in circulation. If you're not following a guide, the only sane solution becomes to avoid challenge quests, save just before the
post Yamato Reactor bits
, play until alignment lock, and then go back to completing challenge quests to adjust your alignment if you didn't get the result you wanted.

These guides exist. Just not necessarily in English.

Sakujou

Banned
hey guys, now i have a bit of time to challenge this game. iam in front of the minotaurus and have failed to kill this beast. how can i tackle it the best? any fusions i should use? usually the minotaurus thingy kills me within a few rounds.
i dont want to look up gamefaq.

NeonZ

Use defense and attack boosters (Rakukaja for defense and Tarukaja for attack) alongside skills to drop the minotaur's stats (Rakunda for defense and Tarunda for attack). You don't need every single one of those, but use what's available. They can stack up to thrice. The Minotaur is also weak to ice spells.

Lham Dearg, a human-like Jaki demon that you can get right in the beginning of the game has innate resistance to physical strikes, so it can be useful in that battle if you level it up.

nan0

I got the neutral ending more or less by accident. But the post-Monochrome Forest part is a joke. How does anybody figure all that stuff out without a walkthrough and without getting bored to death? No directions, low-level demons everywhere...

Ohnonono

I just picked this game up on a whim and had no idea that it was a lot like Strange Journey. Very early days still but so far I am really enjoying the pace. Demon negotiations are crazy. Enjoying it so far. Hopefully MH:G coming out so soon does not derail me to hard.

Karu

Super important question...

Stuck in the main story.

I chose Walter for the CHAOS-mission, but I got no quest and the tunnel entrance above Shibuya (roflcopter the world map SUUUUUCKS!!) is simply not there. I remember beating a domain there not long ago, but now? nuthing. And I checked Walkthroughs on YT, it should be exactly there. Do I have to do anything further/talk to somebody in back in Mikado? This is stupid...

Thanks in advance!

NeonZ

Super important question...

Stuck in the main story.

I chose Walter for the CHAOS-mission, but I got no quest and the tunnel entrance above Shibuya (roflcopter the world map SUUUUUCKS!!) is simply not there. I remember beating a domain there not long ago, but now? nuthing. And I checked Walkthroughs on YT, it should be exactly there. Do I have to do anything further/talk to somebody in back in Mikado? This is stupid...

Thanks in advance!

IIRC, if you're talking about the Walter/Jonathan split, then you should go talk with Lilith again in the Gaea headquarters after siding with Walter. It's only after that that the tunnel will be open.

Sakujou

Banned
hey guys, this game is super hard. my first smt game, so dont be too harsh:

i have a hard time to fight the first boss in naraku. the blue minotaur boss thingy.

i heard i need all those buffs, but staying alive down there is already a big issue. which monsters do i need, which one should i fuse? the monsters i have right now dont have all neccessary buffs.

right now i have:
preta
napaea
jueyuan
fomorian
fuxi
wicker man
gryphon
apsaras
zhu tun she

rakukaja and rakunda are the only skills which might help, but otherwise the boss wipes the floor with my ass. tried the boss a couple of times, gave up, and now i want to try it again.

i dont want to look too much into gamefaqs, so i hope you guys can give me some nice hints.

cj_iwakura

If memory serves, his weakness is ice. Go in full throttle and turn him to dust before he can blink. Get Makakaja on the MC and a good ice skill, buff up, and open fire.
(Replace ice with whatever his weakness is, might've been force.)

Sakujou

Banned
If memory serves, his weakness is ice. Go in full throttle and turn him to dust before he can blink. Get Makakaja on the MC and a good ice skill, buff up, and open fire.
(Replace ice with whatever his weakness is, might've been force.)

yeah, i got the ice spell too, but still he busts my ass.
i read that i need the buffs, but i already have a few monsters recruited, so i dont know which monsters have which skills to get the required one.

ImboSlice

Hi guys!

Just finished Persona Q last night an now I'm about to finally start SMT4 after it sat so long on my home screen.

Question: Is the DLC worth it/is some of it worth it? Should I wait to a certain point?

NeonZ

Hi guys!

Just finished Persona Q last night an now I'm about to finally start SMT4 after it sat so long on my home screen.

Question: Is the DLC worth it/is some of it worth it? Should I wait to a certain point?

The DLC is pretty costly for what it is - Boss battles and then a new demon to be summoned afterwards. It does have some hard boss battles for end-game, something that's kind of lacking in the base game (The actual final bosses are relatively weak, although there are a couple of decent Challenge Quest and then the Fiends, which are really annoying to trigger).

ImboSlice

The DLC is pretty costly for what it is - Boss battles and then a new demon to be summoned afterwards. It does have some hard boss battles for end-game, something that's kind of lacking in the base game (The actual final bosses are relatively weak, although there are a couple of decent Challenge Quest and then the Fiends, which are really annoying to trigger).
Thank you!

Hot damn, I'm like 2 hours playtime into the game, though I did reload quite often.
It's propably not just me, right? This game is difficult?

NeonZ

Thank you!

Hot damn, I'm like 2 hours playtime into the game, though I did reload quite often.
It's propably not just me, right? This game is difficult?

The main issue is that there's no defense stat, so you can die easily in the beginning when you don't have a very good demon team or high hp.

When doing demon negotiations, make sure there's only one enemy demon alive in case of failure.

nan0

Finally beat it with neutral ending. But that last 10 hours were just terrible. I just used a guide to burn through all the remaining quests you have to finish. I hope Apocalypse has a much better map and much better quest log.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Trying to power through the end of the game before diving into Apocalypse, I just have a quick question : How long do you think I have left time-wise? I'm right after a "major choice" in the game
I chose to follow Walter and just enterred the Yakuza's camp
. Aiming for the Neutral ending.

Li Kao

I just retarted the game after playing it for a few days at launch. It came at a most tragic time in my life and was sort of a symbol of days I don't want to relive, so it took me some years indeed.
That being said allow me to ask for your input about the endings. Yeah I know, a lot of noob to the series have issues with the alignment system, they for whatever reason want a specific ending... I know and understand all that. Being in that situation I reflected on it and I think it boils down to two factors :
- Not everybody replay games and especially RPG and want the best ending at first go.
- Keep in mind I'm still not in Giza yet so I don't have the full picture but there is this lingering feeling that if Mikado is Law, I don't want Law. What I mean is even if you are not against having the choice of ending removed from you, there still is the possibility that you will get one that you really don't want.

1/ So this wall of text to ask this simple question : are every endings 'good' ? And by good I mean satisfying, not endings you think about and say XX hours of play for that, fml...

Because I'm still neutral but yeah, checking every decision against a FAQ and spoiling myself is not really my idea of a good time.

2/ I read that the neutral path is longer. Longer and better or just longer ?

Apenheul

ISo this wall of text to ask this simple question : are every endings 'good' ? And by good I mean satisfying, not endings you think about and say XX hours of play for that, fml...

Because I'm still neutral but yeah, checking every decision against a FAQ and spoiling myself is not really my idea of a good time.

I believe there's an Cynical Man at the bar in Ginza station who can tell you which path you're on. Something with polite means you're lawful, hard to figure out means neutral. But yeah, without going into spoiler territory the only 'good' ending is neutral and the neutral path sort of encompasses events from the other two paths.

NeonZ

The issue with the Cynical Man is that he won't be available after a certain point.

1/ So this wall of text to ask this simple question : are every endings 'good' ? And by good I mean satisfying, not endings you think about and say XX hours of play for that, fml...

All endings are actually pretty short. Neutral has the most developed end game, but even there the actual ending sequence is fairly brief. It's the most "normal" ending though.

Chaos feels like it's leading to something bigger when it just ends. Law has a short epilogue sequence, but the path to get there is questionable to most players.

Neutral will require you to do most sidequests (after the route lock if you didn't do them before) and also has the final dungeons from both Chaos and Law paths. It basically only misses a couple of law and Chaos exclusive challenge quests which are just boss battles.

Li Kao

Shit, you have the opposite effect on me I was looking for. I'm tempted to play with numbers now. But it looks like a pain considering the neutral range and the fact that I already did one alignment modifying challenge.
And I don't want to have to be a mega-asshole to correct my alignment if need be.
Mmh...

I will try either way, the fact that the neutral ending feels the most good seals the deal.

By the way, it's a spoil in a way but I suppose the
suicidal woman
won't be eternally reachable ? Handy option that one.

Top Bottom