• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HELLO THERE: Obi-Wan Kenobi film (finally) in the works

You have your opinion and I have my own. I apologize that after only a few years of having an annual Star Wars film that I'm already bored by how Disney is handling these projects. I didn't like Rogue One and this Hans Solo film is, most likely, going to be a disaster. Maybe it's just me but films based on characters and events I already know about don't excite me. I want new characters and brand new stories.

Come back in a decade

kevin1025

Banned
I can't say I comprehend why was this guy picked as director.

It is a unique choice, and his theatre and film background could mean they're going for something interesting (more emotional/dramatic) rather than big and flashy.

But he's also deep into the Wicked film adaptation currently (still in pre-production, I believe), so this movie may be a while off.

Surfinn

You have your opinion and I have my own. I apologize that after only a few years of having an annual Star Wars film that I'm already bored by how Disney is handling these projects. I didn't like Rogue One and this Hans Solo film is, most likely, going to be a disaster. Maybe it's just me but films based on characters and events I already know about don't excite me. I want new characters and brand new stories.

What if we get

Obi-Wan Kenobi

In a brand NEW story with new characters?!

Anth0ny

I think they'll go with Ewan and I'm fine with that.

But fuck me Iain Glen was born to play 50something year old Obi Wan:

f9e36f30ed953e9246a01bd7e12d2a2c--jorah-game-of-thrones-ser-jorah.jpg

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

You don't know any of the events in Han Solo or Obi-Wan's movies, hell, we only knew that at the end they would steal the plans for the Death Star, we didn't know any of the characters or how they would go about it in Rogue One.

jett

D-Member
I like that it's a guy you'd otherwise never expect to get a Star Wars film.

Too many Star Wars fans think of genre like they do the carrying cases for their action figures - there's only certain slots that certain people can fit in and they never allow for anyone else to rearrange that.

Kershner applying his POV to Empire is part of why Empire is so good. People who don't normally make sci-fi bringing their sensibilities to bear on sci-fi/fantasy can be a really interesting approach that turns out some great stuff.

Yes, it's probably for the better.

Pretty sure Ewan has said in multiple interviews that he would return if asked.

Anyway, I kind of don't want this. For one thing, I would love for these Lucasfilm to move on from the "between Ep III and Ep IV" time period. But also, I don't really like the idea of basing the movies around a certain character. Much prefer the RO route of finding an interesting story to tell, then inserting the characters.
...then again, we haven't seen the Han movie yet, so I could be pleasantly surprised.

I mean that's cool but they really need to widen the star wars universe with these movies. Focusing on characters and things you already know is a mistake imo.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Cool, but that director choice... yikes. I'd rather have Tommy Wiseau.

Jarmel

Banned
A Han Solo movie is now in the final stages of shooting under new director Ron Howard and Lucasfilm is also looking at movies featuring Yoda and bounty hunter Boba Fett, among others.

I'm fine with a Boba Fett movie but what the holy hell at a Yoda film.

NOBODY WANTS A FUCKING YODA FILM!

He's a beloved character but there's nothing we need answers to or immediately interesting about the premise. He's an outcast who's supposed to be living on Tatooine watching over Luke and he can't even fight Vader. I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised though. I'd be more interesting in him making a Clone Wars movie.

I'm not sure why it has to provide answers to something. There's also plenty of things he could do other than fight Vader. For example, his brief appearances in the comics have explored his struggle with isolating himself when he knows he can help people.

Alec looks ancient in ANH. You'd peg him for 70, easily. You can't tell me you look at the two and go "yeah, they're the same age".

That's what I'm saying though. He obviously looks younger but not THAT much younger. I suppose it depends when they set the movie but they are better off with Ewan in all cases. I would think they need at least 10 years before ANH.

So how will the Death Star figure into this one?

Turns out in his years of exile protecting Luke, Obi Wan also found time to go on a giant space adventure and saved the entire galaxy and somehow he never mentioned it.

Man. I really home they keep it "small scale". I want basically a version of a Star Wars Clint Eastwood western with Kenobi

yuoke

Banned
Yea...if it's not Ewan, I'm not seeing. I'm already not going to see the Han movie on principle. I loved han solely because of HF and the fact that he was Han.

Ewan IS obiwan. There is literally no reason not to have him come back when he still looks almost like he did a decade ago.

I gotta say the most surprising thing about this is that not only do people have super-strong opinions about Stephen Daldry, but that they have super-strong overwhelmingly negative opinions on Stephen Daldry.

Didn't see that one coming.

Hell, I thought there'd be a little more splashback that they've hired yet another white guy to get behind the camera.

shandy706

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I wonder if we'll see Rey being born!

Is a force ghost going to bring her into the world?

I mean...I guess you could randomly throw it in there as part of the story for who is actually the parents. Obi-Wan isn't going to be the father, haha.

Jumeira

Banned
Yeah, if it does happen, we would most likely get Yoda, and more importantly, return of Qui Gon !!

"Obi, I've come back...with a particular set of skills"

TheXbox

More concerned about who's writing than who's directing. If this is what I think it might be then Rian Johnson should be involved.

Jarmel

Banned
I gotta say the most surprising thing about this is that not only do people have super-strong opinions about Stephen Daldry, but that they have super-strong overwhelmingly negative opinions on Stephen Daldry.

Didn't see that one coming.

Hell, I thought there'd be a little more splashback that they've hired yet another white guy to get behind the camera.

I don't have a strong opinion about Daldry other than confusion about why him.

I find the more interesting component being that Kennedy looks to be done gambling on relatively young directors.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yea...if it's not Ewan, I'm not seeing. I'm already not going to see the Han movie on principle. I loved han solely because of HF and the fact that he was Han.

Ewan IS obiwan. There is literally no reason not to have him come back when he still looks almost like he did a decade ago.

I bet you watch Han Solo. I bet you watch this no matter who they cast. Star Wars fans complain but they can't not go see the movies.

this movie needs to be about obi learning of leia, luke, and han's destinies and shaping them accordingly so they all meet at certain points in their life to save the galaxy from the empire

and he blows up a death star by throwing his lightsaber into the core from a comet

and take sheev's clone and raises it so it becomes good and has kids which one is rey's dad but then the clone turns evil and becomes snoke but then obi defeats(?) him

Big One

Banned
If they do this I'm kind of hoping for an origin story taking place before Episode 1. Obi-wan really didn't do much on Tatooine to warrant a movie imo.

yuoke

Banned
I bet you watch Han Solo. I bet you watch this no matter who they cast. Star Wars fans complain but they can't not go see the movies.

I didn't see Rogue one yet, so yea...

I'm not seeing Han, unless it gets like 100% RT and literally everyone including RLM loves it and says its amazing.

Busty

Banned
It's not known at this stage if Ewan McGregor will reprise his role.

I would be very surprised if this were the case. This has 'Young Obi-wan' written all over it.

Also, Stephen Daldry to direct? Man, after the Lord/Miller debacle Lucasfilm really want to play it safe.

Top Bottom