• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 (JP) |OT| whynotboth.gif

Rpgmonkey

Finished the game. Great ending, and an overall amazing anniversary project for a classic series. Think for the most part I did everything the game had to offer and got 99% of the way to maxing out my party (equipment, levels, skills,).

If I had to do an on-the-spot ranking I think I'd say: 3 > 5 > 6 > 11 > 7 > 8 > 4 > 1 > 9 > 2, with 6 and 11 being mostly equal. But all the games are fine, really.

Once they're done with 11 it'll be interesting to see if they jump straight to DQ12 or go back and remake something to 11's visual/gameplay standards.

muteki

Kinda lame how some of the appearance changing armor/clothes I'm finding is outclassed already by the time I find it. I'm not exactly dragging my feet making it, and even bumping it up to +2 or +3 it is still obsolete a lot of the time.

*Spoiler*
Can I go back to the past?

I missed a few monsters. What is the prize if any for completing the monster book?

As of right now, five of my eight party members have
Meteorite Bracelets +3
and I plan to make it all eight. I am wondering though if I should have one of each and another accessory OR... if I should have two
Meteorite Bracelets +3
because why not?

Ok I just finished the game and saw the true ending .
The game surely ended on a big note and gave an over satisfaction about the story that the normal ending couldn't achieve, so was really glad with how they handled the story.
Only part about the story where i would have wanted to scratch a little was with the backstory of Veronica and Senya, but a that's more of a personal request than a critique.

I would like to mention though that there was one thing that i really disliked about the game and unfortunately it affected the overall enjoyment I had with it and that was that a lot of the story exposition in post game was locked behind filler stuff.
First of all there is the true final boss that even the best and well prepared players can't beat if they are under level 68 a level that you don't reach easily even if you do all the extra stuff in post game, unless of course you hunt for completing the bestiary which may be fun for some people but definitely boring to a lot of others.So a lot of the players will be forced to use the metal slime method which on the hand is easy to do and doesn't take a lot of time, but again to me it seems a very backwards method to use and not fun at all, adding also the fact that a lot of people, especially the newcomers will not now or not even look up.
Secondly there is the whole
Ema marriage thing
where is also locked behind filler stuff,
and even though story wise it's not so important, in other DQ games like DQVIII that I played, these things happened without needing to do extra stuff.
So yeah, I really didn't like how they handled these kind of stuff and the funny thing is that it was the first DQ game that did it, it's like it's a tradition of the series so it was to be expected or something.I may be the only one that complained about this but I think it will be one of the criticisms some people will have with the game.

Aeana

Ok I just finished the game and saw the true ending .
The game surely ended on a big note and gave an over satisfaction about the story that the normal ending couldn't achieve, so was really glad with how they handled the story.
Only part about the story where i would have wanted to scratch a little was with the backstory of Veronica and Senya, but a that's more of a personal request than a critique.

I would like to mention though that there was one thing that i really disliked about the game and unfortunately it affected the overall enjoyment I had with it and that was that a lot of the story exposition in post game was locked behind filler stuff.
First of all there is the true final boss that even the best and well prepared players can't beat if they are under level 68 a level that you don't reach easily even if you do all the extra stuff in post game, unless of course you hunt for completing the bestiary which may be fun for some people but definitely boring to a lot of others.So a lot of the players will be forced to use the metal slime method which on the hand is easy to do and doesn't take a lot of time, but again to me it seems a very backwards method to use and not fun at all, adding also the fact that a lot of people, especially the newcomers will not now or not even look up.
Secondly there is the whole
Ema marriage thing
where is also locked behind filler stuff,
and even though story wise it's not so important, in other DQ games like DQVIII that I played, these things happened without needing to do extra stuff.
So yeah, I really didn't like how they handled these kind of stuff and the funny thing is that it was the first DQ game that did it, it's like it's a tradition of the series so it was to be expected or something.I may be the only one that complained about this but I think it will be one of the criticisms some people will have with the game.

I didn't do a single bit of grinding. In fact, I went out of my way to not grind. Even when I was trying to find a king metal strong for my bestiary, I would reset if I went on too long because I don't like being overleveled in RPGs. I did all of the story stuff there was to do, and a lot of the quests, and then went on to beat the final boss. If you pick good equipment and upgrade it (i.e. pay attention to secondary effects like element and ailment resists) then you can beat the final boss at a reasonable level. You're probably right that people will complain about having to grind -- they already do, with every single DQ game -- and they'll be just as wrong as always.

I didn't do a single bit of grinding. In fact, I went out of my way to not grind. Even when I was trying to find a king metal strong for my bestiary, I would reset if I went on too long because I don't like being overleveled in RPGs. I did all of the story stuff there was to do, and a lot of the quests, and then went on to beat the final boss. If you pick good equipment and upgrade it (i.e. pay attention to secondary effects like element and ailment resists) then you can beat the final boss at a reasonable level. You're probably right that people will complain about having to grind -- they already do, with every single DQ game -- and they'll be just as wrong as always.

I get what you're saying Aeana but as you mentioned a lot people are not as good or didn't even play other DQ games and this was their first one.
I personally went to try the final boss level 79 and with this equipment mentioned in the guide and using the first strategy that they mentioned with a party consisting
of Hero, Greg, Veronica, Senya
and got demolished in 5 rounds rounds.One physical attack of the boss took 3/4 of all of my party members HP, even though I made it in time to raise my defense to max.
As I said I lost and unfortunately I had to raise to level 99 in order to beat him.
At that time of course it was easy but again not child's play.
So yeah I may not be so good at the game but honestly I also don't thing I'm that much worse than a lot of other people, which means that grinding will be the only option for a lot of us

I am having a blast making items hence my previous post. Everyone is at Level 99 and I may even try and grind for seeds in order to max everything which I've never done in a DQ game before.

Rpgmonkey

I get what you're saying Aeana but as you mentioned a lot people are not as good or didn't even play other DQ games and this was their first one.
I personally went to try the final boss level 79 and with this equipment mentioned in the guide and using the first strategy that they mentioned with a party consisting
of Hero, Greg, Veronica, Senya
and got demolished in 5 rounds rounds.One physical attack of the boss took 3/4 of all of my party members HP, even though I made it in time to raise my defense to max.
As I said I lost and unfortunately I had to raise to level 99 in order to beat him.
At that time of course it was easy but again not child's play.
So yeah I may not be so good at the game but honestly I also don't thing I'm that much worse than a lot of other people, which means that grinding will be the only option for a lot of us

Reading that guide on the final boss it seems like you're supposed to
use the True Hero's Sword as an item to remove his Dark Shroud and reduce his damage output and defense.
Did you do that and was it still difficult afterwards? I can't remember if the game points this out to you or not, to be honest I'm just now learning that that was a thing, I fought it straight on lol.

It was fine in my case as my party was already in the mid-high 90s by time I fought it, but I can see it being surprisingly hard if you attempt this with a party in the 70s. I just tried that trick and it does seem like it would make the fight more manageable, but I can see it being possible to beat them in the 70s without using it. The HP/Defense increase from the 70s to the 90s isn't that high, especially with characters like Veronica, so it'd probably be more about consistent healing and decent luck with RNG (and using equipment to help make the RNG more favorable).

MoosiferX

Finished the game the other day w/ about 120 hours clocked in. Thanks to everyone on here who posted useful information and answered some of my questions! Probably my 2nd favorite Dragon Quest game out of the ones I've played which is all of them but 3 and 10. Started up 3 on the Game Boy Color last night though! Got to keep the DQ train rolling.

Can't wait to double/triple/quadruple dip on this game in a year or so lol.

Reading that guide on the final boss it seems like you're supposed to
use the True Hero's Sword as an item to remove his Dark Shroud and reduce his damage output and defense.
Did you do that and was it still difficult afterwards? I can't remember if the game points this out to you or not, to be honest I'm just now learning that that was a thing, I fought it straight on lol.

It was fine in my case as my party was already in the mid-high 90s by time I fought it, but I can see it being surprisingly hard if you attempt this with a party in the 70s. I just tried that trick and it does seem like it would make the fight more manageable, but I can see it being possible to beat them in the 70s without using it. The HP/Defense increase from the 70s to the 90s isn't that high, especially with characters like Veronica, so it'd probably be more about consistent healing and decent luck with RNG (and using equipment to help make the RNG more favorable).

So wait you can just use it as an item?I thought you had to equip it as a weapon and I didn't want to because it's one handed weapon and I played thought the game with 2 handed.If I knew you could have whatever weapon you like I would have used it, but
I thought wrong.
Damn, I would have liked to see the difference.

Rpgmonkey

The game tells you every turn that
the boss has a shroud... Until you dispel it.

Yeah I saw the prompt about
his shroud
but thought it was a countdown to an attack or something. I guess since the fight wasn't too difficult by time I got around to doing it, it didn't occur to me that I was skipping a step.

I'll fully admit that this is an embarassing "this is why games make everything braindead obvious now" derp moment for me and I'm laughing at myself over it, haha.

So wait you can just use it as an item?I thought you had to equip it as a weapon and I didn't want to because it's one handed weapon and I played thought the game with 2 handed.If I knew you could have whatever weapon you like I would have used it, but
I thought wrong.
Damn, I would have liked to see the difference.

From testing it out the main thing is that it makes it much easier to take out
his arms
so you aren't getting hit by some of its nastier attacks.

Aeana

This goes a long way toward explaining why some people were having trouble even with levels in the 90s and I beat him with only a small amount of difficulty in the mid 60s.

This goes a long way toward explaining why some people were having trouble even with levels in the 90s and I beat him with only a small amount of difficulty in the mid 60s.

People beat VIII's optional boss in the 50's. DQ's bosses have never been like the Emerald and Ruby Weapons for example.

Ok, I managed to also
get married with Emma
, which was way easier than I thought it would be, but also kinda disappointing with how they handled it because they didn't show the actual thing, they just left it to your imagination xD.
I think I'm done with the game for now, I may platinum it eventually but at least a few months later.I mean as strange as it may sound the clock stopped at 160 hours for me , so I want to rehab a little:p.

One last thing I want to ask is how many you guys have beaten the game without removing the shroud?
I know @Rpgmonkey did, but what about @Autumn Wind and the others?
At level 90 without removing it, although somewhat easy, I personally still found the fight
fun and most of all pretty fair.

Gloam

So I'm in the post game I can face
the final boss
but I think I'm fairly weak. Tried it for a laugh and got destroyed.

My party is mostly lvl 50 or so. What's the best thing to do to get some levels? Should I do these trials everyone's talking about? Where do I go to get 'em going?

john tv

Also looking for recommendations on where to level. Haven't finished the main game yet but I'm close; still only like level 47 tho. Where's good to level up?

So I'm in the post game I can face
the final boss
but I think I'm fairly weak. Tried it for a laugh and got destroyed.

My party is mostly lvl 50 or so. What's the best thing to do to get some levels? Should I do these trials everyone's talking about? Where do I go to get 'em going?
The trials are near
Nelsens inn, in the underground passage where it was locked with a purple/blue aura I think

Also looking for recommendations on where to level. Haven't finished the main game yet but I'm close; still only like level 47 tho. Where's good to level up?

As for the leveling can you tell me what version each of you is playing?

The fastest way is to use the metal slime method
where
you must get into zone Hero, Camus, and Martina and use the super roulette technique
which doubles your xp and money for this battle.Then after that you must again int he same battle get into zone Hero, Sylvia and Martina and use the spectacle show which has
percentage of turning all the enemies into either 3 metal slimes or 3 normal robots enemies.If robots appear you have to do the same thing again, but if they are metal slimes then you must use critical hit techniques to defeat them.For example Camus and Martina have an ability that has a 100% chance to land a critical hit.
Another good idea is to use sleep spells, so Row's zone ability which put into sleep metal enemies is very useful too.
If you manage to defeat the metal slimes then you get a lot of exp. and level up quickly.
When you reach level 70 with the hero then by doing they will start appearing metal kings too so you will get more exp xD.
Keep also in mind that you defeat the metal kings they always drop an item that when using it, it put into zone the entire party.

Now I asked you above about the versions you are playng because there is an enemy in the game that has good AOE attacks that damage all of your party members and isn't particularly strong.It's this one
and can be found inside the third trial.In the 3DS version it's somewhere inside the castle in the third and forth floor and in the PS4 version it's somewhere outside the castle where there are some enemy slot machines.I have the PS4 version and the thing is that this enemy doesn't always appear so after a while I just fought these guys in the fields near Nelsen's Inn

Are you at the
final dungeon
? Metal Kings regularly appear there. Of course equipment matters too and that's what part of my problem was. I over-leveled because I had garbage equipment.

I will ask again... can I go back to the past
red aura
monsters and if not, what is the reward for completing the monster book? Thanks.

urfe

For the first time, the bosses I'm at feel like a challenge for me. Probably a matter of needing to understand mechanics better.

I currently just died twice at
the black dragon from the glacier lake
and once at
the fire dragon in the volcano

I may continue to do some street pass quests, as I think I'm far behind.

I tend to use the spells I know. For example, I didn't actually realize there's a spell to lower attack until today.

Anyways, amazing how I'm not losing interest at all, and still having a blast.

Gloam

Post-game spoilers:

A lot of the optional content is really, really hard.
I'm attempting to rebuild the Ishi village all my guys are around level 57 and I'm having trouble with the portion of the quest that takes you into the snowy forest. The boss at the back is so hard, he can one shot most of my guys and has a speed advantage over me. Very frustrating.

Same goes for Nelson's Trials - even the first boss is messing me up.

The true ending seems a long ways a way for me.

Aeana

Post-game spoilers:

A lot of the optional content is really, really hard.
I'm attempting to rebuild the Ishi village all my guys are around level 57 and I'm having trouble with the portion of the quest that takes you into the snowy forest. The boss at the back is so hard, he can one shot most of my guys and has a speed advantage over me. Very frustrating.

Same goes for Nelson's Trials - even the first boss is messing me up.

The true ending seems a long ways a way for me.

It's not all created equal, and there's not a good hint about which order to do them in. I recommend checking out some of the other stuff first.

As for the first trial, you should be able to beat that boss at your level. I recommend just rushing the boss and ignoring the shadow.

Gloam

It's not all created equal, and there's not a good hint about which order to do them in. I recommend checking out some of the other stuff first.

As for the first trial, you should be able to beat that boss at your level. I recommend just rushing the boss and ignoring the shadow.

Thanks Aeana! I might try some of the other stuff as well. Wanted to finish the true ending up sooner rather than later. But some things cannot be rushed. Yakuza 0 will have to wait.

The forest boss is probably the hardest side quest boss in all of the post-game outside of the last 2 trial bosses to be honest. You'll want to clear out all the other stuff first

muteki

Wow, the difficulty jump in the second half is real. First half all the bosses pretty much defeated with little to no effort, now 3 or 4 bosses in the second half and things are quite different. I do wish there were less palette swaps though.

Also, early second half I guess (can't really trust my hours clock):

I think I may have sequence broke a bit, I stopped off on the little island in the inner sea after getting the boat a second time, and the whole sky was red with something floating in it, when I left and got back on the boat everything was back to normal, oops.

john tv

Finished the StreetPass labyrinth and got all of the maps/treasures on all
____ten____
floors. I can’t see how the last couple floors would be possible without actual StreetPass...by the end, you need a full party of 8 rank-S Yocchi with like 100+ ATK each to make progress. Also cleared all said maps except for
the one you can’t clear until you beat the final boss
, so now it’s time to start focusing on the end goal.

This game is so good. Party is around level 60-62 right now, looking forward to powering up and heading toward the true end.

Ōkami

Wow, the difficulty jump in the second half is real. First half all the bosses pretty much defeated with little to no effort, now 3 or 4 bosses in the second half and things are quite different. I do wish there were less palette swaps though.

Also, early second half I guess (can't really trust my hours clock):

I think I may have sequence broke a bit, I stopped off on the little island in the inner sea after getting the boat a second time, and the whole sky was red with something floating in it, when I left and got back on the boat everything was back to normal, oops.
Second half and post game isn't as linear as the first half, you may do certain things out of order.

If you're having trouble, there's a new secion near Homura that's very good for grinding, red liquid slimes, called Slime Tars appear in larger groups, you can get some 8k of experience in a fight, really easy to kill too.

urfe

Credits rolling. Guess it’s the post-game and Street Pass now? Was level 47 for final boss. Honestly surprised I beat him on my first try. Was a challenge though. Had to restore MP about 6 times.

muteki

Ōkami;249728004 said:
Second half and post game isn't as linear as the first half, you may do certain things out of order.

If you're having trouble, there's a new secion near Homura that's very good for grinding, red liquid slimes, called Slime Tars appear in larger groups, you can get some 8k of experience in a fight, really easy to kill too.

So far I haven't been stuck too bad. I've died a couple times due to going into a boss fight on autopilot because that worked for the first half of the game, now I am just having to think and prepare more. I don't think I'm underleveled, based off Shouta's playthrough anyway.

Story is still moving along at a decent speed but wow, where did the dungeons go? I feel like it has been forever since I had a proper one.

Bebpo

Banned
Loving the game, but man was the spider boss under the Colloseum one of the worst designed bosses I've ever seen. I mean giving it the ability to stun the entire party taking away turns, confuse the entire party, and hit the entire party for good damage + defense down was just way too OP. If it wasn't for the invincible healer helper healing and resurrecting the whole fight it'd be impossible without grinding a whole bunch of levels probably, and even with that it's so goddamn RNG based because even the confuse block accessories only block at like 30% and there's nothing you can do about the stun unless I'm missing something. I'd basically be lucky to get one attack in every 2-3 turns. Plus sometimes the bosses would get 2 turns between my turns giving double the chance to confuse/stun everyone. And when the boss is in Zone he'd do that and hit like 100% with confuse for multiple turns across the whole party.

Was just pretty bullshit all around. Not even a shortcut or save point near it either. Glad I eventually won on my first attempt, but fight took forever.

Aeana

Loving the game, but man was the spider boss under the Colloseum one of the worst designed bosses I've ever seen. I mean giving it the ability to stun the entire party taking away turns, confuse the entire party, and hit the entire party for good damage + defense down was just way too OP. If it wasn't for the invincible healer helper healing and resurrecting the whole fight it'd be impossible without grinding a whole bunch of levels probably, and even with that it's so goddamn RNG based because even the confuse block accessories only block at like 30% and there's nothing you can do about the stun unless I'm missing something. I'd basically be lucky to get one attack in every 2-3 turns. Plus sometimes the bosses would get 2 turns between my turns giving double the chance to confuse/stun everyone. And when the boss is in Zone he'd do that and hit like 100% with confuse for multiple turns across the whole party.

Was just pretty bullshit all around. Not even a shortcut or save point near it either. Glad I eventually won on my first attempt, but fight took forever.

Get used to dealing with status effects. Silvia has an ability to rouse people already afflicted, but Senya has キラキラポーン which will guard from many status effects to begin with. It's invaluable.

Bebpo

Banned
Get used to dealing with status effects. Silvia has an ability to rouse people already afflicted, but Senya has キラキラポーン which will guard from many status effects to begin with. It's invaluable.

I don't have the latter skill yet. Will see how far away on the board it is and try to aim for it for Senya as soon as possible. The problem is even if you have people that can wake/cure like Silvia, when they're constantly getting confused/stunned you can't do much.

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, found it on the skill board. Gonna take a little while still before I get it (only around lvl.20 now and everything feels like it takes 3-4 level ups to unlock 1 skill), but that should help a lot. Thanks for the tip!

Bebpo

Banned
Actually, kind of a general DQ question now that I'm looking into stats a little more at this point in the game, what does the speed stat effect? Pretty sure it effects dodge rate (does it effect status effect dodge rate as well? or just physical attacks?), but does it effect accuracy in attacking?
I googled and saw Kiyousa/Skillfulness seems to effect criticals/running from battle chance.
And I've always assumed Miryoku/coolness only effects once in a blue moon for a mini-game or quest where you need to have high enough. It doesn't effect anything in battle, right?

Linkura

My husband finally went back to this game last night. Shortly after his last posts, he got very sick for a couple weeks (he was likely starting to feel ill already which was likely part of why he was so upset about that part of the game), and then we were on vacation.

He ended up sequence breaking and getting
Sylvia back before Rowe.
Not a big deal and didn't really affect anything, but it's nice that there's a little nonlinearity in the second part of the game.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, kind of a general DQ question now that I'm looking into stats a little more at this point in the game, what does the speed stat effect? Pretty sure it effects dodge rate (does it effect status effect dodge rate as well? or just physical attacks?), but does it effect accuracy in attacking?
I googled and saw Kiyousa/Skillfulness seems to effect criticals/running from battle chance.
And I've always assumed Miryoku/coolness only effects once in a blue moon for a mini-game or quest where you need to have high enough. It doesn't effect anything in battle, right?

Certain attack skills(the sexy ones) scale with charisma. It's a pretty good stat for Silvia and Martina to up with equipment since their sexy AoE attacks become pretty strong with it.

muteki

My husband finally went back to this game last night. Shortly after his last posts, he got very sick for a couple weeks (he was likely starting to feel ill already which was likely part of why he was so upset about that part of the game), and then we were on vacation.

He ended up sequence breaking and getting
Sylvia back before Rowe.
Not a big deal and didn't really affect anything, but it's nice that there's a little nonlinearity in the second part of the game.

Yeah, I think I may have skipped over a continent unintentionally in the second half. I'm guessing I'll get back there at some point but I assume the order you do things doesn't matter so much as long as you can keep up with the bosses. Which after a couple really bad ones, have gotten easier to handle. Finally ran across a dungeon that was pretty generous money and exp wise so that helps too.

Ōkami

So, I got around playing the 3DS version in 3D, beat the game after 64 hours, even reaching level 99 with the whole party.

I stand that this is a great game, and the 3DS version is a fantastic way to play it, but its also clear that the PS4 version is the one they wanted to make and had to adapt that vision for the other versions.

I really like how expressive the characters look, though with their large heads its more evident how everyone nods all the time, I also found the game harder than the PS4 version, though mostly because how combat is handled, some enemies were more aggressive, and metals weren't quite as generous, not a big deal but still, figures the 2D is the hardest.

Even at level 99 I found the hardest boss of the game to be (Complete game spoilers)
the stronger Homeros, from the final Nelsen trial, Nizzelpha gave me less trouble than him.

After letting the game sink in, though playing it again, I'd say its definetly better than VI, VIII and IX, though I'm not so sure about the other ones,not as good as V or VII, maybe at the level of III & IV, I don't think comparing it to the first 2 games is fair.

There's a way to share passwords right? How is it done? I'd share my level 99 party if anyone wants to try it out.

john tv

Actually, kind of a general DQ question now that I'm looking into stats a little more at this point in the game, what does the speed stat effect?
If you mean すばやさ, traditionally that impacts turn order. Haven't looked specifically in this game, but can't see why it would be any different here.

urfe

Here’s my impressions of the post-game so far.
I can’t believe how much there is to do, and how much of it is legitimate story! This seems like it would take 20-30 hours to complete totally. It literally feels like a well-made short sequel to Dragon Quest XI. Every town I go to has some side quest.

With two more hours, this is my most played 3DS game (beating out Dragon Quest VII), and I have already played it more than Breath of the Wild, which while amazed the hell out of me, I took a permanent break from after 65 hours.

The interesting thing is, this game isn’t exactly wowing me at its spectacle, it’s just an incredibly incredibly well made, super polished, almost perfect RPG.

I think I’ll be buying the PS4 version once it goes for cheap used.

Top Bottom