• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the one thing that triggers your nostalgia?

Stalk

There's this sorta... cold smell? Like around the time of rain at around 8pm during the summer that makes me super nostalgic. Super specific but I dunno.

It makes me think of playing shitty MMOs at my family home

Vinter

I suppose smell is what truly triggers nostalgia for me. Smell of freshly cut grass or chimney smoke in the winter. Both take me back to my childhood.

Nostalgia isn't what it was. In my teens I would find that old songs such as Rag Doll, Telstar, and even the then comparatively recent Whiter Shade Of Pale would awaken fond memories of earlier childhood. The entire rock n roll nostalgia boom of the early seventies in the UK was weird, though, making some of us youngsters nostalgic through music we'd never heard before, from a time when we had not been exposed to that style of music. It was the first time I realised that nostalgia was, or could be, artifice.

I think eventually the superficial feelings we call nostalgia are deadened, allowing us to experience something more deeply. I listen to baroque music a lot lately because I find the chorales very refreshing. It took a while for me to burn through the mental clutter from a lifetime of experiencing Handel only as a kind of shorthand to invoke a historical era in drama and documentary.

england-euro-96-wembley_3476261.jpg

When football was enjoyable to watch.

Kolibri

I agree with the music and smells thing.

I recently got a waft of a smell that I hadn't sensed since primary school. It was like being in a time machine for a few seconds. A great feeling.

Chuckie

Lol those colorful patterns are actually triggering nostalgia with me.

Didn't even know that was possible.

Rookhelm

Ninja Turtles is a big one. Memories of watching after school, playing the video game with my friends, playing pretend in the yard during the summer, watching the movie over and over again

A million memories in one

Bronx-Man

Banned
I spent the first seven years of my life growing up in the projects, so the smell of gasoline and piss usually does the trick. There's also the intro of any Nick/CN/Disney show from 1999-2004. Plus that one intro of Thursday Night Smackdown on UPN with Marilyn Manson playing.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
music.

I've religiously listened to music while tuning out the world my entire life. Whenever a song comes on it usually brings me to the exact moment in time where I listened to it. It's kind of weird. A song came on the other day and suddenly I was back in middle school taking a stroll around campus in the dark.

nothing makes me feel quite as nostalgic as Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, something about it just takes me back to that pure happiness I felt when playing it as a kid, it was my first GTA and it was just so fucking insanely otherworldly amazing to me at 8 years old.

I RAN SO FAR AWAY

Yup, i can relate to both

Metalgus

Banned
- When the air gets colder in late September and October
- The look of the downtown area of small towns
- The N64
- Late 80ies/early 90ies local music

Jules

Neo Member
Yacht Rock Radio on SiriusXM. It's like the whole of my childhood summers.. Camping, boating, family picnics... Good times!

Top Bottom