• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those born in 1997: did you grow up moreso with Millennial shows, or Gen Z shows?

TaterTots

Banned
I think 1982 is the official start of Gen Y.

After a quick search, I'm not even entertaining that. Some people say its fake, some say its a part of millenials, etc. Lets not make a thread about cartoons too deep lmao. The point of my post is that I remember The Real Ghostbusters well despite how young I was. I consider it a part of my generations toons.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
After a quick search, I'm not even entertaining that. Some people say its fake, some say its a part of millenials, etc. Lets not make a thread about cartoons too deep lmao.
That's pretty much the standard definition. 1982-2000.

To be clear: Gen Y is another name for millennials

kswiston

Same goes for the later shows that younger millennials would have watched. Older millennials were in their early 20s and have no idea about them.

Like I'm an older millennial and the Real Ghostbusters toys from McD's are a formative life experience.

I am a 1982 kid. While I make the cut-off for most millennial definitions, I identify more with the list with Real Ghostbusters than I do the OPs list. The only shows on there that I have seen are Recess (I was about 15 when that started and have younger siblings) and Malcolm in the Middle, which cast a wider viewership net. Even my parents watched Malcolm in the Middle.

As is the case with every generation, early millennials and late gen x-ers grew up with the same stuff. I would imagine that the OP is trying to see if the same is true with late Millennials and early Gen Z (or whatever they will eventually be called).

Lev

I feel sorry for those born in 1997 because they completely missed out on So Weird by being too young to watch it :p

Not

Banned
Cool to know that my life's entertainment preferences amount to insubstantial data in a college student's research paper

JK they don't still because I'm twenty-fucking-five and not 19-20

Still, maybe don't cite NeoGAF in that Bib, OP

Maybe we should divide the generations by game consoles.

Early millennials remember NES's lifespan. Later millennials are more like poor poor N64 Pokémon kids.

I remember getting my NES system for Christmas in 1985. Lived near the Windsor/Detroit border so my parents had bought one in Michigan( NES didn't see a proper release in Canada until 1986). I have vivid memories of playing Suoer Mario Bros ,Duck Hunt and Excitebike.

Xe4

Banned
I thought this was a bumped thread cause we had one real similar not too long ago.

Born in '96, and watched '90s reruns and early 2000's stuff. Basically everything from the mid 90's to 2005 was my childhood. Out of those you listed, totally millennial shows.

There are posters on GAF who got a PS3 when they were 8.
The PS3 was my first console and I got it in the sixth grade : p I probably could have got it earlier, but I had to save up to get it.

Phediuk

Oh I'm sure there are Gaffers here whose first console was a PS4 at the point :p we're all getting so old.

yeah I feel like a fucking grandpa on the internet at this point.

Every time someone expresses nostalgia for something after the year 2000 I think my hair goes a little greyer.

sa201674

Banned
'97 baby here

Watched 90s rereuns of Nick and CN shows.
Everything from before, I hated or simply tolerated (Tom and Jerry being an exception).
I watched 2000s and 2010s cartoons.

I thought DBZ was from the late 70s so I hated it back in the early 00s.

I was born in 1981, and I honestly don't know if I am a millennial or party of generation X. I grew up on cartoons from the '80's and early '90s. Real Ghostbusters, Pee Wee's Playhouse, Transformers Generation 1, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Batman: TAS, Animaniacs among other things. By 1997 I was 16... and I have no Idea what was was watching then? South Park? I don't remember what else...

Poor kids never witnesses the glory of Beast Wars when it was fresh.

Show was called "Beasties" in Canada, believe it or not. I did get to watch this show in its original run, and I liked it for the time. The CG looks bad now, but the writing was actually solid. But I was a big fan of Mainframe Entertainment from that era. Reboot is still great.

What was the worst gen to grow up in? Not just in cartoons I mean.

Justin Beiber, Iraq War, garbage cartoons, also 2016 election would be front and center for them as they are mature enough to understand it.

Millenial shows to me are TMNT, X-Men TAS, The Real Ghostbusters, Batman TAS, Pete and Pete, Salute Your Shorts, etc.

Thundercats etc.

Is there a better era for cartoons?

As a millennial (1984) I've heard of only 2 of your millennial shows. Missing like some of the most iconic.. fresh prince, the entire tgif line up, home improvement, etc.

Where do we go after gen 'Z' ? What would the next gen be called?

Whatever catches on, and it's likely to change. Millennials used to be called Gen Y because whoever makes this shit up is not creative.

You gotta wider the gap between those two groups of shows. Like mostly pre 1999 shows missing. Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Tiny Toons.

More importantly, depending on the socioeconomic status and geography, the access to cable television is an enormous factor. Many Millenials experienced the Saturday morning cartoon block as as broadcast TV phenomenon, but gen Z kids had channels airing cartoons the entire day as the norm.

A strong list would be made taking into account the type of distribution the shows had. Reruns and Syndication would be a particularly common phenomena for the times when cable was still expanding, even after you have to control for shows that that had never been taken completely off the air. Malcolm in the middle, Dragon Ball Z, The Fresh Prince for instance.

Born in 83 here. The cartoons I remember most myself (as someone who is just at the oldest-age era of what is apparently millenials even though I'm sure we were told we were Generation X as kids) as my era are things like Ducktales, Talespin, Tiny Toon Adventures, Animaniacs, Earthworm Jim, the Zelda/Mario/Sonic cartoons, Garfield and Friends, Superted, Count Duckula, Thundercats, Dangermouse, Dexter's Lab etc...

I feel a huge disconnect with younger millenials I know when it comes to the cartoons and shows they used to enjoy. Someone born in 1992 who I am good friends with has completely different memories.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Me in this thread:

giphy.gif

trixx

Born in '96 but I remember watching stuff like Lois and Clark, Batman: TAS & Beyond, Beast Wars, Spider-Man, X-Men & Evolution, Fresh Prince and loooooaaads of others thanks to reruns. I also have a pretty good memory going back to when I was 2 so I remember quite a few shows from then.

Basically all the shows that I consistently watched were '90s reruns.
Yeah born 94 and my lil bro was watching these shows as well as the ones in op with me. Great times.

As I got older I was watching family channel and stuff.. incredibly weird but that's what was popular.

Top Bottom