• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those born in 1997: did you grow up moreso with Millennial shows, or Gen Z shows?

Millennial shows: Samurai Jack, Yu Yu Hakusho, Malcolm in the Middle, American Dragon Jake Long, Dave the Barbarian, Rocket Power, Invader Zim, The Weekenders, Recess

Gen Z shows: Hannah Montana, Phineas and Ferb, iCarly, Chowder, Total Drama Island, Transformers animated, Secret Saturdays, Flapjack, Johnny Test

Which set of shows do you remember more fondly from your childhood?

Some of those 'millennial' shows you posted ended in like the early tp mid 2000s. People born in 1997 would've been way too young to watch that stuff, or remember watching it anyway.

Not

Banned
Why 1997 OP

Why not a span of multiple years

You're excluding me OP I'm only 5 years your senior

kirblar

I'm a millennial what the fuck is an American Dragon Jake Long or Dave the Barbarian?
X.

OP, Older Millenials go from early '80s to around '93/'94. We didn't grow up on half those shows you list either! (Millenials are not-so-secretly two different generations combined.)

I'm a millennial what the fuck is an American Dragon Jake Long or Dave the Barbarian?
X.

OP, Older Millenials go from early '80s to around '93/'94. We didn't grow up on half those shows you list either! (Millenials are not-so-secretly two different generations combined.)

1995 is the last year of millennials, full stop, period. I think.

People born in 1995 definitely watched those shows, they were 9-10 when they were out. Logically making them late Millennial shows.

Lothar

Banned
We can intelligently talk with people born in 1997?

I still first think of toddlers when I hear someone born in 97.

Deepwater

I'm a millennial born in 94 and I grew up with both those list of shows, although I watched (and still do) "non adult" shows well into adulthood

aliengmr

Not sure you would classify those as millennial TV shows that millennials grew up with. An example of a millennial TV show might be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

1995 is the last year of millennials, full stop, period. I think.

People born in 1995 definitely watched those shows, they were 9-10 when they were out. Logically making them late Millennial shows.

Samurai Jack and Invader Zim started in 2001, and both ended in 2004. The latest show on your list is American Dragon Jake Long, which ended in 2007. So, no, they wouldn't have been 9-10 for most of these shows.

Born in '96 but I remember watching stuff like Lois and Clark, Batman: TAS & Beyond, Beast Wars, Spider-Man, X-Men & Evolution, Fresh Prince and loooooaaads of others thanks to reruns. I also have a pretty good memory going back to when I was 2 so I remember quite a few shows from then.

Basically all the shows that I consistently watched were '90s reruns.

What category do Spongebob and Fairy Oddparents go to? I watched those a ton.

edit: Was born in 93, I forgot the question was for 97 when I posted.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I guess since the range of millennials is 20 years you're going to have some odd mix of eras in millennial shows, but OP you really do need more stuff from the 90s and even late 80s to really define millennial shows. TMNT, Power Rangers, Doug, The Tick, Pokémon, etc.

Your list of millennial shows is a Gen Z's idea of millennial shows.

kswiston

We can intelligently talk with people born in 1997?

I still first think of toddlers when I hear someone born in 97.

Some of our members are born in the 2000s now. The graduating year of high school in 2017 mostly consists of 1999 babies.

Late 70s GAF is already old enough to be their parents.

I was born in 97 and watched mostly the millennial shows that are listed.

Malcom in the Middle
American Dragon
Recess
Samurai Jack

are all shows I saw from the "millennial" era and for "Gen Z I only ever watched a bit of

Phineas and Ferb.

Prez

1989 here and I grew up watching Samurai Jack, Courage, Powerpuff Girls, sheep in the big city and Ed, Edd & Eddy. I was 12-15 at the time though. When I was 9-11 I'd mostly watch Family Matters, Full House, Step by Step, Boy Meets World and Fresh Prince. Not a lot of cartoons at that age.

As a gen X-er born in the 70's, what is this.

It's crazy how to me there's barely any difference between 10 years ago and now. The phones are better, maybe. I sure as hell can't view Malcom in the Middle and Hanna Montana as two different eras.

EDIT: Oh, Malcolm is 00-06, HM is 06-10. I'll be damned.

I mean, I guess a lot of those millennial shows could be seen by people born in '97 through reruns, but I really didn't think a lot of those shows got a lot of reruns, at least not in time slots where kids that young would watch. Of course, I don't remember really

1997 here, grew up on all of those except for Samurai Jack which while I watched, I only had vague memories of (like the general art style, aku's design, and the theme song).

Oh and why is American Dragon Jake Long in the first category?
That doesn't make sense.

Didn't we just have this thread?

Fuck me, realizing how many of you guys are younger than me is making me feel old as shit, and I was only born in 93.

Survivor33.png

According to Survivor, Millennials are born approx 1980-2000.

Can't wait until Gen Z is renamed to something Gen Z people resent. I only heard the term millennial shortly before that season of Survivor aired last year, and was disheartened to find out I'm one of them (hoverboarder circa 1986).

Those aren't millennial shows.

Hey Arnold, Doug, X-Men TAS, Legends of the Hidden Temple, GUTS, Are You Afraid of the Dark, All That, Kenan & Kel

THOSE are millennial shows. Invader Zim and that lame shit is whatever comes after us.

Dishwalla

Banned
I'm pretty sure I still have the original airing of the Malcolm in the Middle pilot on tape, as I recorded quite a bit of Fox at that time. I know I have the original airing of the pilot for That 70s Show, as well as the Simpsons episode that premiered before it("Lard of the Dance").

The real millennial shows: Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Doug, Rocky's Modern Life, Salute Your Shorts, Hey Arnold, All That, Animaniacs, Guts, Wild & Crazy Kids, Ren and Stimpy, Boy Meets World, Ahh Real Monsters, etc.

90's kids add to this list.

The Lamp

I can't believe there will be college students this year that never existed in the 90s. It's still weird for me to think that people born after 93 aren't even infants.

'91 here. I know all of those shows

The real millennial shows: Are You Afraid of the Dark?, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Doug, Rocky's Modern Life, Salute Your Shorts, Hey Arnold, All That, Animaniacs, Guts, Wild & Crazy Kids, Ren and Stimpy, Boy Meets World, Ahh Real Monsters, etc.

Rugrats mang you forgot the GOAT Nick cartoon.

As a person born in 96 I remember watching both rows but I remember the first row more fondly though I also liked Chowder (Oddly enough with the shows listed I would of thought their would be a middle group with stuff like Totally Spies )

Those aren't millennial shows.

Hey Arnold, Doug, X-Men TAS, Legends of the Hidden Temple, GUTS, Are You Afraid of the Dark, All That, Kenan & Kel

THOSE are millennial shows. Invader Zim and that lame shit is whatever comes after us.
97 here, Hey Arnold still ran and we all watched it, still remember catching the movie airing.
Doug was on Toon Disney for us to watch, a lot of those other listed cartoons all had re-airings.
And All That was still there for us to watch as well.

Also your shows aren't any superior.

Will do!
Dexter's Lab, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Kenan & Kel, My Brother and Me, 2 Stupid Dogs, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, DuckTales (woo ooo), and of course MIGHTY MORPHIN' POWER RANGERS.

Will do!
Dexter's Lab, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Kenan & Kel, My Brother and Me, 2 Stupid Dogs, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, DuckTales (woo ooo), and of course MIGHTY MORPHIN' POWER RANGERS.

How the hell did I miss Kenan & Kel? Probably my favorite buddy show growing up. I love that show. I do, I do, I do-ooo.

Rugrats mang you forgot the GOAT Nick cartoon.

I missed a ton because a client got back to me and I have to do work. Even though these show lists now seem more important.

Dishwalla

Banned
97 here, Hey Arnold still ran and we all watched it, still remember catching the movie airing.
Doug was on Toon Disney for us to watch, a lot of those cartoons all had re-airings.
And All That was still there for us to watch as well.

Also your shows aren't any superior.

Uh correction, the inferior Disneys Doug was reran on Toon Disney, not the far superior Nickelodeon Doug. Fuck that Disney trash.

Top Bottom