• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Night Trap: 25 Years Later (Documentary)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df2zptiviBo

Join Night Trap Director and Co-Creator James Riley as he takes a look back at the making of one of the most influential and controversial video games ever made.

From its pitch, production, and congressional hearings all the way to the 25th Anniversary remaster from Screaming Villains, check out never before seen insight and materials from the making of Night Trap

From the My Life In Gaming guys. Seems pretty well done thus far.

v1oz

Interesting. Being a hardcore Nintendo gamer I honestly didn't know much about this game. All I knew is that it was supposedly banned because of sexual themes and violence. It came out at the same time as other controversial games like Mortal Kombat, Wolfenstein 3D and Time Killers - so it just got lumped in with those other games. So honestly I was surprised at how mild it actually is after watching this doc. Nowadays we have mainstream games like the Witcher which have far more violence, sex and nudity. I was also shocked this game was developed for VHS tapes, instead of lasers disc or CD like all other FMV games.

Honestly this is a superbly produced documentary. The quality and professionalism of this, I just did not expect to see on Youtube. The amount of research it must have taken is incredible.

Hopefully they do one for the Kriss Kross Sega CD game!

Dizzy-4U

I don't recognize the HUD in Road Avenger. Is that from an android version?

Very well made documentary. These guys always do amazing work, nice to see them branch out a little bit.

Khaz

Very good documentary, the whole first part about the origins of the game and the technical limitations was extremely interesting.

It does feel a bit like a plug for the new anniversary edition in the second half, but the insight of James Riley is invaluable.

Great documentary, and it was neat to see footage from Scene of the Crime. VHS gaming that never was.

The remake looks awesome, and it includes a fully playable version of Scene of the Crime. It is on my buy list.

Also, that Night Trap 2 tease.

Such a shame about the missing 35mm footage. It is also a shame that they have to use some footage from the 32xCD version. But I do think that some of the VHS artifacts from the original master tapes do add a bit of charm to the look of the game. Also neat that they will have optional different interfaces.

-shadow-

As mentioned in another topic, I'm actually really surprised that this was shot of 35mm. Really curious if they are able to locate the film stock and rescan it. Even if it's purely out of a preservation aspect.

As mentioned in another topic, I'm actually really surprised that this was shot of 35mm. Really curious if they are able to locate the film stock and rescan it. Even if it's purely out of a preservation

The original two Hasbro/ Digital Pictures games did have sizable budgets for their day. As said in the video, both Night Trap and Sewer Shark cost 2million a piece in mid 1980's money. Hasbro did throw them a lot of money, they were impressed by the Scene of the Crime demo. It is not too surprising that they filmed these games on 35mm, even though the games were meant to be played on VHS. There were also lot of Hollywood profesionals working on both game.

I would like to see the 35mm filmstock found as well. Also would like to see the chesy Sewer Shark get a treatment like this, but who knows if they have higher res footage for that one?

NFreak

This documentary was super fascinating. Night Trap is such a weird thing in the history of video games and it's cool to see it being brought back.

btrboyev

Very good documentary, the whole first part about the origins of the game and the technical limitations was extremely interesting.

It does feel a bit like a plug for the new anniversary edition in the second half, but the insight of James Riley is invaluable.

Well it was created for the anniversary game and will be included with it, so yeah it is a plug.

bubumiao

It goes on sale next week (physical). Is there a trick to getting these limited run games before they sell out? I've never bought/tried before.

Het_Nkik

It goes on sale next week (physical). Is there a trick to getting these limited run games before they sell out? I've never bought/tried before.

Make sure you're already logged into your account and the shipping and billing address are accurate and start hitting F5 a few seconds before the timer hits zero and then just go through checkout as fast as you can.

And if you miss the first batch, be there for the second batch in the afternoon.

Boke1879

This documentary was super fascinating. Night Trap is such a weird thing in the history of video games and it's cool to see it being brought back.

Yup. I'm buying the Limited Run Games CE when it's available to be bought.

Crazy how a game like this that probably wouldn't even get a second look in today's world was this massive controversy back that.

bubumiao

Make sure you're already logged into your account and the shipping and billing address are accurate and start hitting F5 a few seconds before the timer hits zero and then just go through checkout as fast as you can.

And if you miss the first batch, be there for the second batch in the afternoon.
Thanks. Guess I'll need to make an account pretty soon. Do we know how much this will be in USD? I want the standard version.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
i did not know they were working on a actual night trap 2 and it will have a vr game as well holy shit im in
i love this game gonna get the 25th anniversary edition on steam when it comes out in a few days

Top Bottom