• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Building a PC is easy, Ram.

Just be sure you have the following tools handy:
- soldering iron
- claw hammer
- plumber's tape
- headlight fluid

If any of the parts aren't fitting together easily don't be afraid to get some sandpaper and go to town. I recommend 3M Medium Grit. Most manufacturers intentionally make their CPUs oversized for this very reason.

Ramirez

So, would you guys go with the Nvidia card or the AMD?

Hmm, are Acer's pretty reliable DrL? How's that videocard compared to the other 2 I've been talking about?

Yea, that looks good, I just don't know much about Acer products.

I'll give it to you straight, their customer support sucks but they are very reliable and highly reviewed overall. Their only pitfall as a brand is in laptops which are prone to overheating but that isn't an issue for you. Last I checked they passed dell in PC market sales.

Ramirez

I'll give it to you straight, their customer support sucks but they are very reliable and highly reviewed overall. Their only pitfall as a brand is in laptops which are prone to overheating but that isn't an issue for you. Last I checked they passed dell in PC market sales.

Cool, I'll have to research some more tonight, but thanks for posting that. I'm using tax money to get it, and if I get that one, I'd have enough left over to get an Ipad. :p

Cool, I'll have to research some more tonight, but thanks for posting that. I'm using tax money to get it, and if I get that one, I'd have enough left over to get an Ipad. :p

No problem, I've been working on my portfolio all day so I needed to switch gears for a short while. If you have any more questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

All this PC discussion made me scared of a Halo 4 PC exclusive release :p

PC exclusive would be upsetting, but PC inclusive would be absolutely amazing, user content creation has already show itself to be readily available and remarkable in the halo community with things such as HALO PC:CE mods and Forge.

You guys are making me want to get a gaming PC. I am rocking TOR on the windows partition of my 2 year old Macbook Pro.

WR1ti.png

PC exclusive would be upsetting, but PC inclusive would be absolutely amazing, user content creation has already show itself to be readily available and remarkable in the halo community with things such as HALO PC:CE mods and Forge.

But Halo 2 Vista was down for 48 hours! No thanks.

:p

But Halo 2 Vista was down for 48 hours! No thanks.

:p

I actually forgot about Halo 2 Vista, around that time the halomods.com community took a tumble which was a shame, that community and yayap(A website for people using halo assets to create things) were what pushed me into the 3D art direction. Reverse engineering Halo introduced me to the wonders of 3ds max, and several rendering packages.

I would have liked to see more done with H2V.

Got anything cool to show off?

Do you primarily do 3d stuff?

An old friend of mine (rightfully and thankfully) crushed my ego with my art years ago, he was recently hired at good ole' bungie. So if it's cool, that's up to you, to me it's just fun.

http://dcgerst.cgsociety.org/gallery/

I primarily do 3D Hard surface modeling with some environment and character art thrown in, all of which require 2d skills in regards to texturing. I sketch but only for concepts, and I haven't picked up a paint brush ever since I purchased a Wacom tablet. The programs I use are as follows:

3dsmax- For Hard surface modeling and scene management
+Mental ray render/scanline render to showcase low poly models or preview
Zbrush- For hard surface modeling, organic modeling, detailing, and textures.
Photoshop- For texturing, post processing and on rare occasion concepting.
Maxwell Render- For Static imagery that I want to look as real as possible

Havok

I'm wanting a decent gaming machine, I'm not looking maxed out BF3 settings or anything, just something that can get me decent framerates and graphics in stuff like TOR, Diablo 3, etc..

I'm late to this discussion, but:

If that's the case, you'd be overpaying like crazy. I'm running with a GTX 260 and hitting a solid 60 in TOR with everything maxed out (granted, that's on a 720p display). That card is three generations old at this point. I spent roughly 450 dollars on this PC (built it yesterday!) all told, mostly one-to-three gen old used hardware. Go midrange if you're not looking to be Dennis4K or run everything at 2500x1600.

That "I need a new PC" thread has a pretty good series of builds based on what you want to do with it. Hazaro is a knowledgeable dude.

daedalius

An old friend of mine (rightfully and thankfully) crushed my ego with my art years ago, he was recently hired at good ole' bungie. So if it's cool, that's up to you, to me it's just fun.

I primarily do 3D Hard surface modeling with some environment and character art thrown in, all of which require 2d skills in regards to texturing. I sketch but only for concepts, and I haven't picked up a paint brush ever since I purchased a Wacom tablet. The programs I use are as follows:

Sounds like we should collaborate and make some cool stuff, I never do any 3d, but I am all about environments and character concepts.

Would be nice working with an actual modeler ;)

My stuffs: Galefire, mostly in the blog.

I wish i could model, alas i doubt ill ever be able to. Ill stick to photoshop.

I tried it before things like mudbox/Zbrush; probably wouldn't hurt to give it another shot at some point (maybe after the concept portfolio is actually done!)

Sounds like we should collaborate and make some cool stuff, I never do any 3d, but I am all about environments and character concepts.

Would be nice working with an actual modeler ;)

Sure that sounds good, for the next month or two however I'm going to be working solidely on my portfolio. There are two places in Redmond that I want to submit an application to.

Your work looks great by the way.

daedalius

Sure that sounds good, for the next month or two however I'm going to be working solidely on my portfolio. There are two places in Redmond that I want to submit an application to.

Your work looks great by the way.

Yea turns out there are zero places in Kansas to submit art portfolios to (at least the kind of art that I do). This place sucks.

Thanks, trying to make it better every day.

Yea turns out there are zero places in Kansas to submit art portfolios to (at least the kind of art that I do). This place sucks.

Unless there are circumstances keeping you there, why not go where the work is? Some places will help you relocate if need be. I'm living in NJ right now, but as they sometimes you have to risk it to get the biscuit.

MrBig

Are you looking for a job or college? I've got until the end of this month to get a respectable portfolio together and am hoping to go to school at Art Center in the fall
e: my recent stuff

Thats some pretty awesome stuff! Im curious how long it took and how you went about learning the skills to model to that level?

Thats some pretty awesome stuff! Im curious how long it took and how you went about learning the skills to model to that level?
Thank you very much.

I've been doing this since I was 12 so It's been 8 years now, although the last two years were primarily spent firefighting and with college. I'm self taught in the sense that I've never had any formal training but I've always been part of communities where we could all learn from each other and even develop new techniques.

As for my approach towards learning? I approach it the same way I did about the world when I was a child, always asking why or how. What does this part of the software do, how can I make this, why did that error happen, is there any way I can do this faster, and so forth. It also hooks you because software is constantly evolving and fields constantly expanding, so you'll never run out of questions to ask.

daedalius

Unless there are circumstances keeping you there, why not go where the work is? Some places will help you relocate if need be. I'm living in NJ right now, but as they sometimes you have to risk it to get the biscuit.

This house is like a compressed forerunner shield world attached to my ankle, unfortunately. Also, my wife is still finishing up a year of 'experience' at her hospital before we try to make a move down to Austin (or Seattle, haha unlikely).

Trust me, I'd like nothing more than to split this 2 bit town.

Are you looking for a job or college? I've got until the end of this month to get a respectable portfolio together and am hoping to go to school at Art Center in the fall
e: my recent stuff

Job, I finished college forever ago, and it was useless. Although it would have helped if I had of actually worked on something I wanted to instead of what I thought would be good at the time.

I like your stuff, but I think you should work on your values in a couple of those pieces; stuff that is far away doesn't really look far away because its too saturated. Compositions are solid on most of them.

Ramirez

I'm late to this discussion, but:

If that's the case, you'd be overpaying like crazy. I'm running with a GTX 260 and hitting a solid 60 in TOR with everything maxed out (granted, that's on a 720p display). That card is three generations old at this point. I spent roughly 450 dollars on this PC (built it yesterday!) all told, mostly one-to-three gen old used hardware. Go midrange if you're not looking to be Dennis4K or run everything at 2500x1600.

That "I need a new PC" thread has a pretty good series of builds based on what you want to do with it. Hazaro is a knowledgeable dude.

That PC he linked from New Egg, would that get my max settings on that game with little problem? The graphics card doesn't seem to be that powerful from what I can find on the net. I guess I could always just buy a new card later on, yea? Nothing else about the system seems weak, or am I overlooking something?

That PC he linked from New Egg, would that get my max settings on that game with little problem? The graphics card doesn't seem to be that powerful from what I can find on the net. I guess I could always just buy a new card later on, yea? Nothing else about the system seems weak, or am I overlooking something?
Have you tried asking here?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455869

Last time I asked for help in there I got completely ignored but you might have better luck.

Ramirez

Have you tried asking here?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455869

Last time I asked for help in there I got completely ignored but you might have better luck.

Yea, I asked those guys what was better between one Nvidia card and 2 AMD's with Crossfire back when I was looking at an Alienware, and he just told me to read the OP. I don't really want to read charts filled with 50 different cards, I just want to know what's better. :(

Yea, I asked those guys what was better between one Nvidia card and 2 AMD's with Crossfire back when I was looking at an Alienware, and he just told me to read the OP. I don't really want to read charts filled with 50 different cards, I just want to know what's better. :(

That OP? lol

Top Bottom