• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
XqRQZ.gif

FyreWulff

So, I'm seeing people leaving feedback on Infection maps we submitted on Waypoint/B.net but weren't mentioned in the bulletin, and they aren't on 343's playlist page either.

Also, playing on Deadwalk. "This map is shitty and all yellow, is Boardwalk still in here? I want to hide behind that glass and own noobs"

Because if there was one thing Reach desperately needed, it was another Slayer playlist.

My main point and everyong here might not agree but most of those maps are 8v8 only maps. Breakpoint? Highlands? Headlong?

Really?Thats not for 6v6 it results in boring hide n go seek games and thats not Halo.

Furthermore quitters in almost every game its never actually 6v6.

Then you got normal settings for it? What happened to all the hard work on TU beta and Anny settinngs? Why? What is the reason this playlist is completely vanilla settings? Especially when you have more and more vanilla playlists becoming TU playlists?

Whats the point? Especially when you have Vanilla playlists having heavier and heavier DLC percentage showing up...

I got Solitary ANOTHER version of Prisoner on my first game of TS vanilla... WTF. How many variants/maps/playlists/gametypes/variants can you make? Its almost a slot machine going into MM I never know what the fuck I'm playing anymore.

So you test and release a playlist update with tons of bugs...awesome. Almost worse than Shishka testing a fusion coil being removed for 2 months to make sure there are no problems at all...Sigh.

Sorry Hire Juices.

Sorry but I really have little faith in 343 after this.

Additional bug seems to be Squad DLC does not track stats as a playlist itself. When zooming over a game it says Playlist: Unknown (145). Does this mean none of these games are being counted towards our stats? Are they being funneled into a diff playlist?

Havok

Well a Mercenaries playlist would be pretty sweet (Team Slayer, no parties, 4v4).

But not until some major playlist condensing is done.
Oh, I won't argue against that. A place for ungrouped players to go would be great (or if they could just stop matching them against teams of 4, but that's a pie in the sky idea). I just don't see why we have five separate Slayer playlists with, outside of TU differences, fairly minor differences between them.
My main point and everyong here might not agree but most of those maps are 8v8 only maps. Breakpoint? Highlands? Headlong?

Really?Thats not for 6v6 it results in boring hide n go seek games and thats not Halo.

Furthermore quitters in almost every game its never actually 6v6.

Then you got normal settings for it? What happened to all the hard work on TU beta and Anny settinngs? Why? What is the reason this playlist is completely vanilla settings? Especially when you have more and more vanilla playlists becoming TU playlists?

Whats the point? Especially when you have Vanilla playlists having heavier and heavier DLC percentage showing up...

I got Solitary ANOTHER version of Prisoner on my first game of TS vanilla... WTF. How many variants/maps/playlists/gametypes/variants can you make? Its almost a slot machine going into MM I never know what the fuck I'm playing anymore.

Sorry but I really have little faith in 343 after this.
I agree with a lot of that. I don't think that 6v6 satisfies anyone, a focus should be placed back on 4v4 and 8v8. I get that they want to use all the DLC maps in one playlist, but putting player counts that don't work and/or haven't been good on a Halo map ever isn't the answer. It ends up leading to maps like Last Resort that are completely schizophrenic with regard to size and design. Frankly, having DLC-only playlists where the only difference between them and their analogue is that you're only getting DLC is silly when we know that they have the ability to tweak DLC matching on their side. Crank that shit up, consolidate the playlists that you're able to. Especially now that Anniversary and regular-ass BTB are using the same settings, why do both have to exist? And you're right that there is some serious gametype bloat, and as much as I know that whatever side they picked would inevitably be the one I'm not on, I almost think they should just stop trying to please everyone and pick a side. As it stands, people who prefer either setting are getting a kind of mediocre experience.
Additional bug seems to be Squad DLC does not track stats as a playlist itself. When zooming over a game it says Playlist: Unknown (145). Does this mean none of these games are being counted towards our stats? Are they being funneled into a diff playlist?
It usually takes them a while to get the web tracking for new playlists up. TU Beta was being counted as Premium Slayer for a long time. Surely the stats are still being tracked, there just isn't a way to view them until they get everything ready.

stephen08

Squad DLC turned out to be a lot of fun. Original Reach on DLC maps is great.

Yeah playlists need to be managed better but let's keep some decent options open for classic Reach. TU has already claimed Squad Slayer, Team Objective, and now BTB and Doubles. That's in addition to having Slayer lists both DLC and non DLC required.

Unless I am absolutely forced by party size I never opt for TU. It was a half hearted effort (since it was a reworking of the gametype code only) that didn't even touch some of the more egregious issues like the Banshee or the strength of grenades.

If it wasn't going to be the new standard what was the point? I guess some benefit was the Anniversary gametypes which are actually different and notable enough to warrant a subset of lists.

Played a game of TU BTB last night, it was slayer on Boneyard and it was GOOD.

The gunplay feels so much better with 85% settings. I will ejaculate all over my TV once I get to play some sweet heavy variants.

Edit: also played infection on Powerless, loved it :D

TU game types are our standard Reach Matchmaking settings with the Title Update changes. Those changes are: damage bleed enabled, modified reticle bloom, sword block removed, Armor Lock modified, and Active Camo modified.

Why, then, are new playlists vanilla? Is vanilla non-standard now, to the point where we should consider any playlist that is vanilla as 'niche'?

Another point on this new dlc playlist: we are told to play it if we want it to stay around. They then make it ALL DLC REQUIRED and give it retrograde settings. I'd imagine the total percentage of the Reach playerbase that owns all of the DLC is quite small. A player that does own all the DLC then has to actually want to play the vanilla settings. Seems to me that this playlist is set up for a fall. That there might not be a DLC playlist in a few months because of these errors on 343's part is absolutely unacceptable for paid content. What should have happened:

New playlist - new TU settings

If a player owns any one of the three map packs they can enter the DLC playlist. 343 then use their much trumpeted DLC weighting tool to match various DLC users with each other. Obviously, if match times become too long then an overlap between all DLC owners and one pack owners is acceptable.

Enter with only the Noble map pack? The DLC weighting tool will match you with others who only own that pack. That way, consumers that have paid 800 points for a map pack can actually play on their purchase; the way it is at the moment, a consumer who pays 800 points for a map pack cannot play on these newly purchased maps with even a hint of regularity, without spending a further 2000 points on the other maps (in order to make them eligable for the DLC playlist).

Why, then, are new playlists vanilla? Is vanilla non-standard now, to the point where we should consider any playlist that is vanilla as 'niche'?
You're misinterpreting that. When they say "Standard Reach Matchmaking settings" they mean things like default movement speed, jump height, loadouts, etc.

You're misinterpreting that. When they say "Standard Reach Matchmaking settings" they mean things like default movement speed, jump height, loadouts, etc.

I see what you mean. In that case they should probably not say 'our'; "TU game types are standard Reach Matchmaking settings with the Title Update changes" would be clearer.

Besides, I'm sure I've seen the statement that 'TU settings are our standard mm offering' as in, that's the default... maybe I'm mis-remembering.

kylej

Banned

Highlands is the reason I'm scared of 343. Did anyone playtest that shit or did they just build it so it looked pretty and then crapped it out onto the marketplace? That map would be too big if you could play on Quake movement speeds.

Spawn
Walk for 30 seconds, maybe jump around
Get blained by some dude hiding on a rock or get mowed down by warthog
Respawn
Walk for 45 seconds, maybe jump around
Team is grabbing flag
Still 20 seconds away from being near them, go over and melee the tunnel near the waterfalls
etc

Please please please no more aesthetics over gameplay. Bungie brought the franchise to its knees with their overwrought, terrible maps. Small, clean, simple. Even Valhalla - the largest a Halo map should ever be - makes it super easy to get into the action and super easy to see what the hell is going on.

Halo 4 campaign idea: 360-degree sprint. Limited use with cooldown. Can shoot/melee/throw grenades/jump while sprinting. Used to allow for "call and response" interactions with projectile enemies and to give Chief more dynamic movement options in general.

amazing or worst shit ever?

heckfu

Banned
Halo 4 campaign idea: 360-degree sprint. Limited use with cooldown. Can shoot/melee/throw grenades/jump while sprinting. Used to allow for "call and response" interactions with projectile enemies and to give Chief more dynamic movement options in general.

amazing or worst shit ever?

I wouldn't say this on my own terms but using one of your options, worst shit ever. Maybe it wouldn't be that way in context, like, what other armor abilities do the opponents have? do all players have the perk?

I would be more than satisfied if we went back to higher player movement speeds in H4 and did away with armor abilities all together in favor of limited equipment pickup. Not, 'let's put flares and bubble shields and jammers all over the map' but like a central bubble shield pickup once per match. Just a small incentive but not something that will eventually grow too big and break the game (I'm looking at your evade, armor lock, jetpack, invisibility).

oh, damnit. haven't finished my coffee yet...that's a viable excuse, right?

No problem man...I haven't been to sleep and am half awake.

How about a more broad question: Would anyone be opposed to a new core mechanic in Halo 4? Not something conditional like dual-wielding or equipment or AAs. Something like the sprint (turbo might be a better term) idea that's always on - something as central and necessary as run/shoot/jump. Evade as a core mechanic would also work.

I personally wouldn't. It's a new trilogy, let's shake things up!!!!!

edit - FOR CAMPAIGN, I swear!

daedalius

oh, damnit. haven't finished my coffee yet...that's a viable excuse, right?

Before coffee at work, I think I barely function.

I'm in the same boat - currently at 1.81 (rising because of awful skill matching in the Anny playlists), but as soon as I get matched against really good players my game goes to complete shit. I've been toying with the idea of getting into the MLG stuff, but the idea of having to be 'on' every single game is incredibly intimidating.

We missed ya last night. Lots o' BKs about.

How about a more broad question: Would anyone be opposed to a new core mechanic in Halo 4? Not something conditional like dual-wielding or equipment or AAs. Something like the sprint (turbo might be a better term) idea that's always on - something as central and necessary as run/shoot/jump. Evade as a core mechanic would also work.

I personally wouldn't. It's a new trilogy, let's shake things up!!!!!

edit - FOR CAMPAIGN, I swear!
1) Turbo would be a terrible name. To the firing squad!
2) Certainly not opposed to a new mechanic, but Sprint would not be one I'd be looking for.
I'd much prefer a higher base movement speed, as other than running away/running to, Sprint didn't really effect combat in the Reach Campaign in an interesting way. Not a good core mechanic.
Evade.. could be suitable for certain enemies designed around it, but once again not hugely interesting right now.

Top Bottom