• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Codemasters teases new racing game (GRID 3?)

Atomski

I hope the next game they does away with all the damn talking between matches.. I just want to race and advance to the next race, stop it with the unskippable blabbering in between.

Fox Mulder

I hope the next game they does away with all the damn talking between matches.. I just want to race and advance to the next race, stop it with the unskippable blabbering in between.

you don't want to hear other drivers talk about how awesome you are and becoming your friends?

they got rid of media interview fluff in the f1 game a few years ago, it was neat presentation but pretty shallow and pointless. They also dropped the whole camper menu thing they loved to use.

Bydobob

Fuck Grid and fuck Dirt. I want a Colin McRae Rally 2014, just like you used to make Codemasters back in the day. The games that made you one of my favourite racing studios - TOCA, Colin McRae Rally 2. Games that had me running to the shop to preorder your games, games that made me a fan of you in the first place.

Fuck Ken Block and fuck Gymcannaewhatthefuck. Load of bollocks. Fuck em both.

I want pure fuckin rally and I want Nicky Grist doing the co driver speech. None of this 'Hi Al, how are you doing TODAAAY ?' on the menu screen. Load of shite. Proper rally courses, not that pish you thought Dirt 3 was. I mean we are in a day and age when fucking MILESTONE of all companies are closer to rally than you are! (I don't hate Milestone but you used to be the benchmark)

Just give me the games you used to make back in the day. Don't try to appeal to every crowd. You used to be my favourite racing studio, I want you bastards to make that true again.

Worth reading 3 pages just to get to this dynamite. Words right out of my mouth, especially the bolded which is true of so many publishers. We appreciate making games is still a business, but by trying to appeal to everyone you end up pleasing no-one.

The_Dude

Fuck Grid and fuck Dirt. I want a Colin McRae Rally 2014, just like you used to make Codemasters back in the day. The games that made you one of my favourite racing studios - TOCA, Colin McRae Rally 2. Games that had me running to the shop to preorder your games, games that made me a fan of you in the first place.

I want pure fuckin rally and I want Nicky Grist doing the co driver speech. None of this 'Hi Al, how are you doing TODAAAY ?' on the menu screen. Load of shite. Proper rally courses, not that pish you thought Dirt 3 was. I mean we are in a day and age when fucking MILESTONE of all companies are closer to rally than you are! (I don't hate Milestone but you used to be the benchmark)

Just give me the games you used to make back in the day. Don't try to appeal to every crowd. You used to be my favourite racing studio, I want you bastards to make that true again.
Agree with everything here
except I liked gymkhana

I agree with every word.

yep, this..... all day.

billy323

Banned
Hopefully will be a sequel to toca 3 which had touring car, open wheel and off road events.
Except without the annoying pit manager.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member

While Grid and Dirt was fun, they were not a patch on the Colin McRae series, this post speaks much truth. LISTEN CODEMASTERS.

I don't care what they release as long as they releases something other than a F1 game. I really want a DiRT 4 without the gymkhana, better physics, more and I mean moar tracks.

Grid 3 would be fine as long as it is similar to the original Grid

Atolm

The problem with a new Colin McRae/pure rally game is that thanks to the efforts of the FIA, the WRC is a shadow of its former self. There's barely any coverage at all and it has faded from people's minds. I think Codemasters saw that and that's why they went with the Ken Block approach, which I agree, is shit.

Let's be realistic here. I want a proper rally game as much as everyone else, but is such a thing viable in 2014? Does it have enough appeal to be worthwhile?. McRae and Burns are both dead, sadly. Sainz retired long ago, and Loeb, while wildly sucessful, competed in the worst years of the sport. I don't know. It pains me to see that the closest we got to a Group B rally game was the wonderful Rallisport 2, but what can you do...

Codemasters has lost confidence in itself in recent years. The company seems to think to make its games a success in America it has to be all "yeeeeha ya'll" x-games gymkhana bullshit. It's patronising to American gamers and sad for a great British company doesn't value it's own heritage and background.

You could make a racing game as English as tuppence and it will sell across the world if it is a really good game. Putting out shit sprayed with American cheese has been a big failure for the Codemasters brand.

And I don't doubt this time around we'll have the same "we've learned, this is for gamers" nonsense from Codemasters. We had it before Dirt 3 - talk of massive amounts of real rally content. And it was pure marketing BS.

I hope this time the company really has turned it's back on the terrible approach it has taken in recent years.

Edit: I agree the WRC has declined as a sport, which is very sad. So merge the offroad stuff into a new TOCA game. Make a mega McRae/TOCA game.

While Grid and Dirt was fun, they were not a patch on the Colin McRae series, this post speaks much truth. LISTEN CODEMASTERS.
I'm in, bros! A new old Colin McRae would be so great.

MaDKaT

Will echo this. Bring back the core Colin McRae or TOCA experience.

Aaron D.

While we're dreaming about having a proper rally game from Codies, I'd like to add RalliSport Challenge 3 to my fantasy wish list.

Thanks.

Hmm interesting (a couple months old, but relevant):

Two new driving games are in development at Codemasters, British Touring Car Champion Matt Neal has revealed – with his involvement possibly hinting at the return of Codemasters' TOCA series.

"Great day @Codemasters helping tuning tracks & cars," Neal tweeted earlier today, "watch out for their two new driving games when out as they're awesome! #LovelyPeople".

Though Touring Cars featured in last year's GRID 2, Codemasters hasn't released a true TOCA title since 2006. Could the publisher be planning a next-gen revival?

Codemasters is widely believed to be developing a new rally title, thought to be DiRT 4, and this year's version of F1.
http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/grid_2/news/is_a_new_toca_game_in_development_at_codemasters.html

I don't know.

I don't think this is our rally game, guys. Paul Coleman just said on Twitter that he's not involved in tomorrow's announcement. That and Loore's hint above leads me to believe a Dirt reveal isn't until later this year.

Juicy Bob

I think what we'll get is GRID 3 which will be announced to have much more real world series included, similar to the old Race Driver games.

Whether it will be a purely arcade game like GRID 2 was (which I enjoyed a lot, for what it was) or something more authentically simcade is what I assume we'll find out.

oxidax

How can I favorite this post?

Every. Single. Thing. Is. True.

Top Bottom