• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One to offer "Shrinkable Games"?

Colbert

Banned
I wish you could install single player and competitive multiplayer separately. I'm never gonna play Halo 5 campaign again, so being able to uninstall that shit would be for the best.

Maybe thats one of the features they implement with it. For example based on your habits. They have the telemetry to do this!

So the deletion of assets you no longer need after playing through them?

Or deletion of content you know you won't play?, I could strip the MP mode out of most games I play..........

Be cool if they could separate the content that way... Gears, Halo, COD, Titanfall... Could just kill all single player content for me and I'd be fine.

Cake Boss

Banned
Sorry, it was bad joke. I like my xbox. play it more than my PS4 actually.

One thing I am hoping this "shrinking" feature can bring is the ability to play a physical copy of the game without having to download it as well. Just got Forza Horizon 3 and I had to wait an hour or two before I can actually play it. Why?

EvB

People need to dial back their expectactions.

This will be where you uninstall languages and 4k assets

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This would be killer. I believe languages take up a vast amount of space in games which have a lot of voice over. Cutting that out would be so handy.

Nah, an hour of speech (which, remember is mono) will be 350mb or so at CD quality - less than half that for the best quality MP3, and less than a third again for stuff that most people think is totally acceptable.

I have no idea how much audio is in the average game, but I would expect it to be significantly less in 95% (figure plucked out of the air) of games.

Trup1aya

Sorry, it was bad joke. I like my xbox. play it more than my PS4 actually.

One thing I am hoping this "shrinking" feature can bring is the ability to play a physical copy of the game without having to download it as well. Just got Forza Horizon 3 and I had to wait an hour or two before I can actually play it. Why?

You'll always have to wait for the instal before you can play. Blu- Ray isn't fast enough to run of the disc.

Gussemke

Neo Member
Honey+I+Shrunk+Cut+OUt.png
When i am taking a piss or when i am playing a game.. my eyes are bad :(

This is interesting, I wonder if it's removing aspects of the game you may not be interested in or literally compressing the game, increasing loading times. Either way, a welcome addition, I have 2TB which I expected to be enough for a while, but Halo 5, GTA 5 and such take up like 100GBs each, so if you wanna have many triple-A games that get constantly expanded with free DLCs this can come in handy. I do delete some of the games I don't really use, at the same time I am wary or deleting 80GB games knowing how long I'll need to redownload them. Maybe I won't play it for months and even then it'll only be for 30 mins, but I don't want to spend like 2 days just being able to play it having to organize it prior. I'm definitely picking up more storage but this will come in handy.

finley83

Banned
Nah, an hour of speech (which, remember is mono) will be 350mb or so at CD quality - less than half that for the best quality MP3, and less than a third again for stuff that most people think is totally acceptable.

I have no idea how much audio is in the average game, but I would expect it to be significantly less in 95% (figure plucked out of the air) of games.

That's true for compressed audio, but to reduce performance overhead a lot of games now leave audio uncompressed. For example, Titanfall had about 30gb uncompressed audio despite being an exclusively multiplayer game.

timberger

Oh, the cloud again. I mean, if they can actually cut down game sizes somehow, great, because too many XB1 games have comically huge install sizes right now... but I'm understandably sceptical considering how MS bluster regarding the cloud has amounted to nothing in all the years they've been feeding it to us.

Bigger than PS4 game sizes?

Dramatically so.

Their 1st party offerings.

lol

KageMaru

The cloud and language options would be cool. It would also be cool to give people an option to only use standard XBO assets instead of the higher resolution textures we'll likely see on 1X versions if games.

I believe Uncharted 4 is over 60 GB, but most of my PS4 1st party games are 30-50 GB. Halo and Gears seem to be the worst offenders for some reason.

Maybe all the DLC? Battlefield games are very similar in size.

Caayn

Hoping that this means removal of unused languages I'm not exactly keen on using the cloud for hot storage of my games.

tsab

Probably they compress the games/files and uncompress them realtime when needed. I am guessing they will borrow processing power from the cloud?

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Nheco

Probably they compress the games/files and uncompress them realtime when needed. I am guessing they will borrow processing power from the cloud?

Oh god... people haven't the faintest idea how cloud processing works. You can't decompress something in your home device with "the cloud" because in order to do so, you'll need do upload your shit to the cloud (and downloading it again after the decompression). So it makes no sense, because to do so you would spent more bandwidth than just downloading your stuff again.

Cloud processing is worth for stuff that aren't huge in size and very latency sensitive, like analyzing radio form space for seti@home. And yes, this means that since the beginning the whole Xbox cloud stuff was bullshit.

coughlanio

You're not taking into account dialogue scenes, environmental reverb etc.

ZOONAMI

I wonder if this will operate almost like streaming, installs only enough needed to launch and play for a bit, and will download and install more as you progress (and or delete what you have already played through, seems like that wouldn't work though if you decide to start the game over).

Would work pretty well as a staggering amount of the games I have I've barely even touched.

Letting you uninstall singleplayer campaigns and keep multiplayer modes would cut a lot of games down pretty significantly, given all the audio and art assets you could remove. Hopefully it's something like that.

munroe

This thread popped up in my Google search for "Xbox one shrinkable games" has there been any more word on what it actually does and not just speculation?

I've just noticed this while browsing my storage settings, getting ready for the One X and Gears 4 is the only game (in my games list ) that can be shrinked, it's telling me it can be reduced down by 13Gb

JP

This thread popped up in my Google search for "Xbox one shrinkable games" has there been any more word on what it actually does and not just speculation?

I've just noticed this while browsing my storage settings, getting ready for the One X and Gears 4 is the only game (in my games list ) that can be shrinked, it's telling me it can be reduced down by 13Gb

I've not been able to find anything else on it but it's surely just going to be this feature which is available in Windows 10.

CompactGUI - Save lots of disk space on Windows 10

CompactGUI is essentially a third part GUI for something that is a part of Windows 10, you can do the same things without the third party GUI.

Credit to Skyline Owl from the "Latest Xbox One Update" thread:

This would be pretty sweet considering that game sizes are becoming more and more big.

More and more big... I can't even...

OT: if they would simply strip out all the useless audio insteadnof having every language in the download due to region-free, it would improve things greatly. Let us choose the language we prefer and skip the rest.

Zenner

If it's a behind-the-scenes performance / maintenance type of thing, why are getting their own category or section? My guess would be that you need to manually select the shrinking option.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I've not been able to find anything else on it but it's surely just going to be this feature which is available in Windows 10.

CompactGUI - Save lots of disk space on Windows 10

CompactGUI is essentially a third part GUI for something that is a part of Windows 10, you can do the same things without the third party GUI.

Yeah probably Xpress8K compression coming to Xbox One and hopefully they will also allow removal of unused language packs...im sure having all the languages for these games is eating HDD space.

The Xbox One uses NTFS correct?

I wish I had a shrinkable cock because I only fuck women with really tight pussies and sometimes I hurt them with my monster dong. I respect women, so I try to be gentle, you know.

PrimeBeef

Wonder if this is related to that compression technique in another thread a little while ago? Where only data being used is uncomoresses at the time causing some games to only take up like 1/4 of their normal install space.

Beaten. Looks like I shoulda read a bit more before posting.

jobrro

Going to be very important going forward.

4k assets are huge.

Can you choose whether you download the 4K assets on the Xbox One X?

I realize you'd most likely want them if you get an X but it'd be interesting if it affected frame rate at all, but potentially more likely things like load times or streaming assets in time for no popup or other artifacts.

Definitely helpful for different languages, multiplayer/singer player components and 4K video cinematic if you don't have a 4K TV.

Didn't think too much of MS early in the gen (and I liked Kinect for Dance Central and voice commands) but they are nailing it more recently with much more consumer friendly takes on BC and this is helpful too.

brawly

Something like a WinRar zip thingy would be cool. Basically shrink the games you don't play atm instead of deleting them.

Bickle2

Something like a WinRar zip thingy would be cool. Basically shrink the games you don't play atm instead of deleting them.

It’s not compression.

Microsoft has created a new file structure that allows game designers to make their games modular. For example 50% of Call of Dity players (foolishly IMO) never even touch single player campaign, Well, why download and install it? Foreign language packs, whatever they want to make optional or segment they pretty much can.

I don’t expect to see a lot of games using it until next year, it requires pre-planning thst games coming out now are probably well past the stage of implementing, though any game can go back later and support it.

https://youtu.be/PBw30bs4eC0

It’s not compression.

Microsoft has created a new file structure that allows game designers to make their games modular. For example 50% of Call of Dity players (foolishly IMO) never even touch single player campaign, Well, why download and install it? Foreign language packs, whatever they want to make optional or segment they pretty much can.

I don’t expect to see a lot of games using it until next year, it requires pre-planning thst games coming out now are probably well past the stage of implementing, though any game can go back later and support it.

https://youtu.be/PBw30bs4eC0

Wow, this is the first time I've heard of this, should be pretty useful! I wonder if devs can patch in support for recent releases?

f@luS

More than a member.
From my S to my X not the same games appears shrinkable

On my S I had forza 7 / halo 5 / tomb raider
On my x I have only told raider and quantum break

Is that normal ?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Haven't been following the thread TLDR.

Is this an option or are devs just doing it and we will see the results?

Rayderism

I read that it was called "intelligent delivery" that separates games into chunks so you could download only the SP portion of the game, or only the MP if you're into that, or only the languages you plan to use, option to download 4K assets or not. Stuff like that.

Here's one such article:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...down-install-sizes-and-reduces-download-times

Sounds to me like the best idea in modern console gaming yet. I don't have an XBOX, but it's very annoying to me to have to download huge "patches" to PS4 games that add content that's locked behind a DLC paywall that I never intend to buy. Doom is a prime example, as I'll never play any of the MP content. So it's just wasted space on my HDD.

Top Bottom