• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - Season 5 of the award winning KGB spy drama - Tuesdays on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Philip is losing his mojo. During Paige & Elizabeth's conversation in the kitchen, Elizabeth mentions that it's about confidence. I think we're seeing the start of a breakdown in Philip's confidence.

My alarm bells are going off like crazy about Renee. I know this show doesn't go for cheap reveals, but something feels like it is up. I saw an immediate connection between Philip manufacturing his backstory about the pilot's license over drinks and Renee talking about herself over dinner. Maybe she was just talking...but I'm still thinking she is more than what she seems.

I enjoyed Elizabeth's meet cute with this scientist guy. She played him like a damn fiddle but not many straight guys would stand a chance around her.

Ristifer

Love how the episode cut between Elizabeth's seduction of her mark and Paige's snooping. We see Paige's growth as a potential "spy", but we're also seeing the uglier side of this dance, all at the same time.

faridmon

I don't understand the ending conversation between Philip and Elizabeth there at the end.

Of all the people they hook up with, why did Philip, in this particular instance, mentioned that she might like the dude she is spying on?

What started that train of thought? and why be jealous now of all places?

Also, Paige being more ruthless. ''I am sorry mum, but I was there, not you'' Stone cold!

- Slate podcast for this week: Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys on Why Their Americans' Characters Are Sick of Honey Traps
This week, Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys, the show's leads, talk about what made filming feel different this season and why Philip and Elizabeth are suddenly bearish on honey traps. Rhys also explains why he celebrates when a script has his character eating junk food. Then Peter Ackerman, who wrote Episode 4, ”What's the Matter With Kansas?," explains why Henry is his favorite character.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't understand the ending conversation between Philip and Elizabeth there at the end.

Of all the people they hook up with, why did Philip, in this particular instance, mentioned that she might like the dude she is spying on?

What started that train of thought? and why be jealous now of all places?

Also, Paige being more ruthless. ''I am sorry mum, but I was there, not you'' Stone cold!

I think Philip is feeling insecure. He isn't making very good progress on his target and then Elizabeth was slightly dodgy about the details, which is a little off for her. It's not quite a lie of omission since she said she didn't want to talk about it and then told him, but it's more about why she didn't want to talk about it.

I haven't watched Season 1 and 2 in ages, but hasn't the show always said that Philip genuinely fell in love with Elizabeth immediately while her feelings for him had to develop over a long time? Elizabeth loved her asset Gregory, so her feelings have always been more complex.

faridmon

Hahaha at the Matthew Rhys story about getting free McDonalds

I think Philip is feeling insecure. He isn't making very good progress on his target and then Elizabeth was slightly dodgy about the details, which is a little off for her. It's not quite a lie of omission since she said she didn't want to talk about it and then told him, but it's more about why she didn't want to talk about it.

I haven't watched Season 1 and 2 in ages, but hasn't the show always said that Philip genuinely fell in love with Elizabeth immediately while her feelings for him had to develop over a long time? Elizabeth loved her asset Gregory, so her feelings have always been more complex.

Hmm, that makes a bit more sense. The fact that he is feeling insecure, makes him say that he is jealous which may or may not be true. Its just weird that his jealousy came out quite verbally now after 5 seasons of just implying.

Ashby

Haven't Phillip and Elizabeth been loath to have her sleep with anyone else for a while now? I remember that being a thing in the last season or two.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Preview for next week certainly was interesting, and will address some things we're all talking about.

Is The Avengers the only movie FX is allowed to show during the week?
I've seen the Marvel end codas so many fucking times thanks to watching FX shows. It's absurd.

Stealth mode activated.
Haha.

Haven't Phillip and Elizabeth been loath to have her sleep with anyone else for a while now? I remember that being a thing in the last season or two.
Yeah, I recall them specifically trying to get Elizabeth out of any further action like that.

On the podcast the cast and creators explained that as Elizabeth and Philip have grown closer over the past few years, they've been more and more reluctant to be involved in honey pot scenarios. The Martha situation was a big burden on their relationship given how deep Philip was involved in that, so they don't want to get into it again. This is the first time we've seen them say no to Gabriel, and it was sort of spur of the moment. They're on the same page about what they want, for once, even if it was unsuccessful.

Also, a humor article from the New Yorker: Some of the Ways TV Critics Have Tried to Get Me to Watch The Americans

effzee

I love this show but I binge watched the previous seasons and man watching with commercials is so tough.

Also is it possible they might be wrong about the crop killing bugs angle or was that confirmed with the visit to the lab?

jerry113

Banned
I like those show just has this constant forward moving momentum and it never feels like it's trying hard to do it. Bless the natural pacing. Reminiscent of better call Saul.

Yep. Seeing glimpses of Mischa slowly making his way to Washington DC gets me tense. It's like watching a car crash in slow motion.

I love this show but I binge watched the previous seasons and man watching with commercials is so tough.

Also is it possible they might be wrong about the crop killing bugs angle or was that confirmed with the visit to the lab?

I think that's certainly a possibility, nothing is completely confirmed.

Hope Stan's play to save Oleg will pay off, but it might be too late.

Henry has been on the phone with basketball scouts for college. I chuckled at him telling Paige to get the toast out of the trash if she wanted it.

The glasses, short dark hair is a good look for Liz.

New episode tonight:
Lotus 1-2-3

Philip and Elizabeth receive surprising news about Henry -- and shattering news about a past operation. Stan might be falling in love, but Philip wonders if something darker is going on.
Noah Emmerich directed tonight's episode.

K so that episode hit me too much in the feels in the last 15 minutes. Heart kind of sinking for Paige and Philip. And Phillips other son. Felt bad for Gabriel too.

Also that promo.....

This show tho.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
K so that episode hit me too much in the feels in the last 15 minutes. Heart kind of sinking for Paige and Philip. And Phillips other son. Felt bad for Gabriel too.

Also that promo.....

This show tho.

Yeah man, last bit was really rough. Whew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom