• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best torrent client?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
utorrent is bloated?

its your fault for using anything past 2.2.1

✔

Lightweight and gets the job done with no unnecessary frills attached. No idea how it'd fare for heavy-duty torrenting, though - I've never had more than a few torrents running concurrently.

It works beautifully.

MrHicks

Banned
vuze and taxati are the only ones that handle magnet links properly though

it allows you to pick files BEFORE the torrent starts just like with regular torrents
with other clients with a magnet link doesn't allow you to prepick the files before download and just starts downloading fucking everything

you guys know what im trying to say lol?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Didn't know you could turn off every ad in the current uTorrent in the advanced menu. Looks clean again.

vuze and taxati are the only ones that handle magnet links properly though

it allows you to pick files BEFORE the torrent starts just like with regular torrents
with other clients with a magnet link doesn't allow you to prepick the files before download and just starts downloading fucking everything

you guys know what im trying to say lol?

Totally do, that's why I've been using Tixati. Need to check out Transmission now...

I thought uTorrent had some weird ties to the movie industry and went closed source. Seems like a genuine conflict of interest to me.

All my uTorrent is doing these days, is serving me spyware through the browser in the bottom left.

What is the uTorrent version that is just uTorrent without the malware?

Sapiens

Still running Vuze with the classic UI on a MacMini - I don't really want to change as I had to manually do all the regex scheduling stuff on the RSS feeds to get certain things automatically.

Doesn't give me any noticeable performance problems (running on a quad core machine with 16GB Ram though).

Should I finally move away from Vuze to transmission?

Mistake

I use utorrent 3.2.3. It has an ad thing I guess, but I disabled it and everything runs fine. I heard after that version is no good anyway

Ewo

Deluge is first pick, qBittorrent second. I don't really see anything about uTorrent that would make me want to choose closed source ad-supported software over the large amount of open source clients.

Rogan

Banned
Now I'm using Vuze because uTorrent (PC) doesn't start after downloading a torrent file. I bought uTorrent for my Android and this works perfectly on Android though.

Vuze is pretty good for PC I guess. But the UI can be pretty annoying.

qBitTorrent is very lightweight and streamlined. No unnecessary bloat.

I tried Vuze for a while but its UI is garbage and it's significantly more unwieldy than qBT.

Edit: Maybe I should try the classic UI, going by some responses in this thread, but I really have no incentive to stop using qBT now unless major sites start blacklisting it.

Edit 2: What the fuck this thread is 4 years old.

I stopped using uTorrent after it was found that it mined bitcoin in the background. I wondered why my computer slowed down so much.

Switched to Deluge, never looked back.

PillarEN

qBitTorrent is very lightweight and streamlined. No unnecessary bloat.

I tried Vuze for a while but its UI is garbage and it's significantly more unwieldy than qBT.

My man. I use this too ever since one time uTorrent wasn't playing nice. I wouldn't want to go back regardless though.

Chris1

All my uTorrent is doing these days, is serving me spyware through the browser in the bottom left.

What is the uTorrent version that is just uTorrent without the malware?

Just switch to qBittorrent. It's basically uTorrent without the bloat and it's open source/still gets updated.

Aiii

So not worth it
Used Deluge until I wanted to download torrents with Japanese letters in them and it just refused to open them, qbittorrent all the way since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom