• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trying to loose tummy fat is the worst

Peltz

Don't use the tape measure, or the scale; use the mirror. It takes time, and the weight is going to have slight fluctuations. If you stick to your diet and stick to your exercise routine, you will see results in time.

This is another way to do it:

54a1a8f5-f965-4dd4-a0ec-cd7ac1647564.JPG._CB326116962_.jpg

It allows you to measure body fat.

Zoe

Don't use the tape measure, or the scale; use the mirror. It takes time, and the weight is going to have slight fluctuations. If you stick to your diet and stick to your exercise routine, you will see results in time.

The mirror is the most subjective measure and is useless if you're prone to dysmorphia.

I went from having awesome love handles to it's hard to even pinch them anymore. Just run and eat right. Eat on a caloric deficit. Hey, I finally used that sentence.

Shadybiz

This is another way to do it:

It allows you to measure body fat.

Calipers are good, yes, and I have a pair.

The mirror is the most subjective measure and is useless if you're prone to dysmorphia.

Well yes, dysmorphia is certainly going to make it harder to judge from a mirror; no argument there.

I'm speaking in general, over time. I'm an example...at one point, I was 200 lbs, but a BAD 200 lbs..just no real muscle mass, a good bit of flab, etc. But after about a year of disciplined eating, regular lifting, and HIIT cardio mixed in, I STILL weighed 200 lbs, but it was a much better 200. In that case, the scale didn't tell me anything, but the mirror did. That's what I was getting at (I guess the tape measure would have too, though).

Water and apples are your friends ;)

Seriously, i lost a ton of weight only eating those when i felt hungry. And salads and rice with vegetables at every meals.

This and a lot of walking/bicycling/gym.

It's neither hard or easy, it's just painfully slow. And the fat come back really quick if you stop paying attention :(

Fledz

1200 calories and you also worked out? That's insane. Find your TDEE and subtract from that around 500 calories. 700-800 if you want to go crazy but it gets very difficult after a few days. Anything less than that and your body will start compensating too much, likely by rapidly breaking down muscle for fuel.

In terms of exercise and what I should have said before, for a man it works together with exercise down to about 15%BF. At that point, it will be almost entirely diet if you want to drop closer to 10BF%. In fact it seems to be easier to do with minimal exercise at that point to retain as much muscle mass as possible while dropping predominantly fat. "Abs are made in the kitchen" is spot on at lower bodyfat percentage.

For a woman I think it's somewhere up around 19-20% but don't quote me on that.

That's just how weight works. It fluctuates a lot. If you want to actually see what progress is happening you need to weigh yourself consistently every day at about the same time and look at trends over time. Otherwise you'll just keep frustrating yourself when you randomly pop on the scale. You can sometimes eat very little and pop on the scale the next day and weigh more. You can eat a ton and hop on the next day and it did nothing or even dropped. You can't look so closely, though. You need a broader picture.
Yeah, I learned this myself. Until I was paying close attention to my weight I had no idea how much it could actually fluctuate day to day.

My solution was just not to weigh myself every day, but instead go at least a week in between. Either way, what you say is right. It's the long term that matters - just looking at today versus yesterday doesn't tell you much.

Even if you don't, it can be hard to notice a difference since it happens so gradually. When I was losing weight I started to notice my pants fitting looser before I noticed a change in how I looked.

i struggled with this for YEARS.

i've always been fit / skinny / lean, but the belly fat wouldn't go.

STOP doing cardio, start lifting weights, and eating lots of protein.

you need to get your muscle to fat ratio higher, then your metabolism will increase, and then you will start losing that fat.

cardio is a waste of time, this is what all the latest research is showing, and my own personal failure and recent success have only proven this.

now, HOW you lift weights is also important, focus on sets of 12 reps, and don't eat carbs past lunch.

the carbs you DO eat have to be proper grains, avoid bread [if possible, except for cheat days, which ARE allowed] - and make sure to measure your portions [it's frightening how small they are at first, but you get used to it]

and also beer, you can't drink that [because of the carbs, but because hops also give you love handles on a hormonal level]

edit: tried finding some articles to link you to, but there's just too fucking many.

google "is cardio a waste of time" or "is cardio a waste of time for fat loss", and enjoy the bevvy of results.

there's just so much to get into, heart-rate, heart-rate zones, cortisol production, immediate versus future caloric burn, etc etc etc

Do you have a pool near you?

Gym + Water aerobics

Not hard to set up a routine were you would be burning 200-400 calories a day with high heart rate to lower body fat ratio

elpitcal for 15mins - 150 calories
bike for 10mins- 60 calories
muscle building- more calories

next day - 200 calories splashing around to music with old ladies, another 50+ doing slow laps

Lamel

Banned
Continue to watch your diet and mix in high intensity interval workouts into your routine. Heavy weightlifting as well. Honestly though, it takes time! Often time years if going for difficult to achieve aesthetics. Stick with it, make it part of your lifestyle.

I did IF and cardio for two years and have just now gotten my abs to show through. 6’4” and 84kgs but I’m too skinny now, started wearing a belt on a 31” waist.
Dropped cardio and started lifting and will begin HIIT sprinting. Might mix some swimming in too. Trying to lean bulk now, sorta feels like I’m starting all over.

Lego Boss

you need to get your muscle to fat ratio higher, then your metabolism will increase, and then you will start losing that fat.

cardio is a waste of time, this is what all the latest research is showing, and my own personal failure and recent success have only proven this.

now, HOW you lift weights is also important, focus on sets of 12 reps, and don't eat carbs past lunch.

the carbs you DO eat have to be proper grains, avoid bread [if possible, except for cheat days, which ARE allowed] - and make sure to measure your portions [it's frightening how small they are at first, but you get used to it]

and also beer, you can't drink that [because of the carbs, but because hops also give you love handles on a hormonal level]

edit: tried finding some articles to link you to, but there's just too fucking many.

google "is cardio a waste of time" or "is cardio a waste of time for fat loss", and enjoy the bevvy of results.

there's just so much to get into, heart-rate, heart-rate zones, cortisol production, immediate versus future caloric burn, etc etc etc

I think this is one of the key problems in sports science, that there's just so much information (based around sometimes shaky science), that it's difficult to know what to believe or what to follow.

My neighbour, who is a national level thrower (discus, shot, javelin) reckons there's a golden hour after exercise where you can eat what you want. I don't deny that, but it might be true for him (given that he is a big man), but might not work if you want to lose weight.

I guess what I am saying is that you have to find what works for you.

I highly, highly disagree with this post...

Don't do cardio to speed up fat loss?

Don't eat carbs past lunch?

Focus on sets of 12?

How does cardio not speed up fat loss? You're burning more calories ala accelerating the rate of fat loss. To a point, yes I see the rebuttals, the more cardio you do the hungrier you get but to outright say cardio doesn't increase fat/weight loss is just wrong.

Don't eat carbs past lunch? Is this the old saying anything you eat after dinner will automatically be store as fat and breakfast is the most important meal of the day? You do know all of that's been debunked right?

Focus on sets of 12? Sure, that range of reps is ideal for hypertrophy but you'll need a combination of higher weight and different sets of reps to maximize gains and/or weight loss.

Canklestank

Neo Member
You may lose weight initially but eventually your body will recognize that your calorie input does not equal your calorie output and it will lower your basal metabolic rate according.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

The amazing thing is that the "researchers" are shocked by this. I mean nutritional science is their one job. That goes to show you that people are still stuck on ideas on weight loss that have been prevalent for several decades but do not actually work.

It's also interesting that the more people tried to calorie restrict in the more hungry or ravenous you get. Hunger hormones such as ghrelin increases in the chronic phase of calorie restriction while general satiety hormones reduce. Your brain is almost diverted to constantly thinking about food to hit it's quota so to speak.

That's extremely depressing and yet makes sense. I don't even want to lose that much weight and this is just disheartening. Hopefully this just happens in extreme cases, like someone else pointed out.

EDIT:
Also,
I can't speak about all foods, but for vegetables, freezing and nuking them definitely ruins some nutritional value.... as does steaming or burning them.

Raw, nutrient dense veggies are incredibly important.

This isn't quite right. Steaming veggies in the microwave increases nutritional value: http://freakonomics.com/podcast/food-science-victory-a-new-freakonomics-radio-episode/

Many people are surprised to hear that steaming vegetables in the microwave is probably the best way to preserve nutrients. You want to destroy some of those enzymes that are getting rid of antioxidants as quickly as you can. And you want to cook the food for as short amount a time as possible. So, the microwave will do that for you. You just put it in a microwave steamer and cook it for just a couple of minutes and it’s done

And most benefit from being slightly cooked:
There are some foods — and kale and broccoli are two of them — that we absorb more of their cancer-fighting ingredients if we eat them raw. But most fruits and vegetables benefit from light cooking, either a sauté maybe in olive oil at low temperature or lightly steamed — less cooked than most people cook them. But the light steaming or gentle sauté breaks down cell walls, which makes more of the nutrients available to us. So, we’ll get three or four times more nutrients from a cooked carrot than from a raw one.

Top Bottom