• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Themes coming to PS4 in System Software 2.0?

VanWinkle

I hope we have only seen just a sliver of the features coming, because, honestly, it will have been like six+ months wait between the last big firmware update. There's still stuff promised that we haven't seen, like local media and DLNA, suspend/resume, etc. as well as a lot that are needed but we haven't heard about, like pausing downloads, friend online notifications, folders, better share quality for videos (60fps option, 1080p option), etc.

Kssio_Aug

At 1:16:00, are you sure?
English is not my main language, so maybe Im listening it wrong, but I havent heard that.

SerTapTap

I hope we have only seen just a sliver of the features coming, because, honestly, it will have been like six+ months wait between the last big firmware update. There's still stuff promised that we haven't seen, like local media and DLNA, suspend/resume, etc. as well as a lot that are needed but we haven't heard about, like pausing downloads, friend online notifications, folders, better share quality for videos (60fps option, 1080p option), etc.

Update 2.ShutUpGAF will include DNLA, suspend resume, 3D blu ray and MP3 support. Believe.

IIRC, themes on PS3 cost anywhere from 1.50 to 5 bucks.

There were free themes too, and even custom ones, right? Been rocking a Patapon 2 theme for a couple years actually.

Deadstar

This was always my favorite PS3 theme.
ku-xlarge.gif

I liked the rotating piece of corn. I hope they have animated themes, not just static ones. The animated themes were amazing.

iKH7YmjHoXTZz.gif

Update 2.ShutUpGAF will include DNLA, suspend resume, 3D blu ray and MP3 support. Believe.

There were free themes too, and even custom ones, right? Been rocking a Patapon 2 theme for a couple years actually.

I heard of the custom ones but never tried it. There was free themes though, yes. But I always bought my themes because the free ones usually seemed to be crappy in comparison.

Anko

I didn't realise how much I needed this feature until the PS4.

Currently using the Rain dynamic theme on PS3. Any chance we're getting dynamic themes? I'd be happy if we only got static themes for now. One step at a time!

Z3M0G

If 2.0 ships without it people will rage... but the reality will be that it was simply not ready yet. They could only announce features they are 100% confident will be ready for 2.0 launch.

I dislike themese but would like to change the color at least

would especially like to do it on the controller (like I can with ds4 on pc)

For the record, when I said customs backgrounds, I meant ones bought from PSN (guess I shouldn't have said custom, as these are approved/paid for backgrounds). I only brought up Vita (because they have default wallpapers that are various colors).

I didn't mean having an option to add your own pictures from a USB or the internet. Guess I should have clarified.

vita lets you add your own pictures from the internet

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Don't think that's happening. The ARM chip that does the real-time video encoding can probably only handle 720p30. If it could do more, I don't know why they wouldn't just let us do it. Streams are limited to the same maximum resolution/framerate, probably for the same reason. Remote Play is also limited to 30fps, and I'd bet Share Play will be too. It just makes sense that that's what the chip can do.

Mononoke

Banned
I dislike themese but would like to change the color at least

would especially like to do it on the controller (like I can with ds4 on pc)

vita lets you add your own pictures from the internet

Yes I know. I was just saying at launch for PS4, I was surprised they didn't have the various colored bagrounds like Vita offers (the default ones). Or the ability to buy wallpaper from PSN. I know that Vita allows you to use your own custom wallpapers. And that is great. But I can understand why they didn't have the ability to upload your own wallpapers at launch. I was just saying, it surprised me that they didn't have a selection of different colored default wallpapers or ones you could buy on PSN.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Its funny my fav color is blue if I had a choice the theme would be just the same lol but this is cool for others.

VanWinkle

Don't think that's happening. The ARM chip that does the real-time video encoding can probably only handle 720p30. If it could do more, I don't know why they wouldn't just let us do it. Streams are limited to the same maximum resolution/framerate, probably for the same reason. Remote Play is also limited to 30fps, and I'd bet Share Play will be too. It just makes sense that that's what the chip can do.

I was figuring it was because you could only upload to Facebook, where having 1080p/60fps wouldn't make any sense. But, yeah, maybe you're right.

Kssio_Aug

Its there. He says " cool features like Theeemes". :)

What exact time is the quote said? It's not at 1:16.

It is some kind of problem with the audio player. I opened it with Firefox, could not hear it, then I opened it with IE (what opned the audio with WMP) and could not hear it either but it was in a COMPLETELY different part of the inverview. It may be somewhere there in the audio, but for some reason when I jump to 1:16:00 I'm listening to another part of the interview.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Did they share a timeframe for 2.0?

I want my Sega Genesis dynamic theme. I installed it day one and never looked back.

If they add themes I hope we get to change the text colour this time, because bright and worst of all white theme on PS3 made the white text XMB useless.

Einbroch

Banned
I'm shocked people care about this as much as they do. I spend less than 2% of my time on the dash.

But good on them.

Top Bottom