• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone's Top 100 Greatest Metal Albums Of All Time

Ristifer

I will never understand why these lists have British Steel so high. It is one of Priest's weakest efforts. Almost all of their other albums of that era are better.

I guess I just don't hear what they hear on that thing.

Here's my list of 10/10 metal albums, cross-posted from another thread, since it seems more on-topic here... note, this is in no particular order because, well, fuck orders, they aren't metal ;) I basically typed these in a stream-of-consciousness style and it covers a vast variety of sub-genres as well. I also limited myself to 1 album per band, but as I said in the other thread, many of these bands have more than one great album.

Freaking sweet list. Lots of great epic stuff on there. Special horns up to the mention of Skyclad, whose eternal snubbing will always befuddle me.

Hmm. I'm a casual metal fan at best and I know all of these albums. All of them. Surely they could've dug a little deeper? Offered a little more variety? Did Metallica need to be in the top 25 FOUR times?

Damn, there's a cooler list IN THIS THREAD. Nice work, Morrigan!

kingslunk

I will never understand why these lists have British Steel so high. It is one of Priest's weakest efforts. Almost all of their other albums of that era are better.

source.gif

bebop242

Yeah my personal list would have From Mars to Sirius much higher but I'm just happy it made it on a list that prioritizes popularity and cultural impacts.

Ridley327

It's not a bad album at all, but as far as the logic of placing it so high, I think it's only because that was the beginning of Judas Priest as we came to know them from that point forward. Honestly, this is a situation where the big mainstream success that was Screaming for Vengeance would be a better choice for that positioning. Even though it should be Painkiller anyway.

It's not a bad album at all, but as far as the logic of placing it so high, I think it's only because that was the beginning of Judas Priest as we came to know them from that point forward. Honestly, this is a situation where the big mainstream success that was Screaming for Vengeance would be a better choice for that positioning. Even though it should be Painkiller anyway.

Sad Wings is one of the albums that set in place the general traits of the Metal genre, much more important than British Steel.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Freaking sweet list. Lots of great epic stuff on there. Special horns up to the mention of Skyclad, whose eternal snubbing will always befuddle me.
Skyclad mention? Skyclad mention.

Top twenty greatest Metal bands, considering that they invented Folk Metal and all that.
\m/ You guys are good people. <3

It's true though. Here are Priest albums that are better:

Sad Wings of Destiny
Sin After Sin
Stained Class
Screaming for Vengeance
Defenders of the Faith
Painkiller

Hell, I'm almost tempted to add Angel of Retribution on that list. British Steel is a decent album with some solid tracks, but average by Priest standards, and mediocre by classic (up until 1990) Priest standards. It has no business being listed instead of those above.

Here's my list of 10/10 metal albums, cross-posted from another thread, since it seems more on-topic here... note, this is in no particular order because, well, fuck orders, they aren't metal ;) I basically typed these in a stream-of-consciousness style and it covers a vast variety of sub-genres as well. I also limited myself to 1 album per band, but as I said in the other thread, many of these bands have more than one great album.

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
Judas Priest - Stained Class
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Summoning - Minas Morgul
Skyclad - The Silent Whales of Lunar Sea
Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Slayer - Show No Mercy
Overkill - The Years of Decay
Rotting Christ - Non Serviam
Therion - Theli
Deströyer 666 - Phoenix Rising
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Samael - Blood Ritual
Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side
Jag Panzer - Thane to the Throne
Pentagram - Relentless
King Diamond - Abigail
Bathory - Hammerheart
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
Helloween - Walls of Jericho
Running Wild - Black Hand Inn
Accept - Restless and Wild
Desaster - Hellfire's Dominion
Absu - Tara
Death - Symbolic
Venom - Black Metal
Pagan Altar - Lords of Hypocrisy
Pantera - Power Metal (hehe)
Amorphis - Tales from the Thousand Lakes
Anacrusis - Screams and Whispers
Virgin Steele - Invictus
Moonspell - Wolfheart
Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses
Melechesh - Emissaries
Helstar - Nosferatu
Satan - Life Sentence
Metal Church - Metal Church
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Sodom - Agent Orange
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Artillery - By Inheritance
Tiamat - Wildhoney
In the Woods - Heart of the Ages
Storm - Nordavind
Einherjer - Blot
Falkenbach - ...magni blandinn ok megintíri...
Moonsorrow - Voimasta ja kunniasta
Ancient Rites - Dim Carcosa
Hollenthon - With Vilest of Worms to Dwell
Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp
Natur - Head of Death
Sabbat - Envenom
Loudness - Thunder in the East
Testament - The Legacy
Anthrax - Among the Living
Dio - Holy Diver
Saxon - Denim and Leather
Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Behemoth - Satanica
The Kovenant - Animatronic
Arkona - Vo Slavu Velikim!
Cruachan - Tuatha na Gael
Mithotyn - Gathered Around the Oaken Table
Falconer - Falconer
Metallica - Kill 'Em All

I am entirely with you. For some reason I thought it was in my original list -- added. KEA is awesome.

Definitely. KeA > RtL > MoP > AJfA > everything else
De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas?

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Master of Puppets is so fucking good. Album is heavy as fuck to this day and holds up great. Happy to see it at #2. Should probably #1 but who gives a shit.

Ridley327

Sad Wings is one of the albums that set in place the general traits of the Metal genre, much more important than British Steel.

Agreed 100%, and I do like that this list did throw in Stained Class relatively high up since that was the foundation for the Priest we would come to know in the 80s, but when you've got a chart smashing single like Breaking the Law, exposure tends to trump influence for a lot of people.

Also no Burzum.

To be honest, is this a snub? Because I don't think I can answer this question without judgement because Burzum, to me, is boring as fuck.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Also no Burzum.

To be honest, is this a snub? Because I don't think I can answer this question without judgement because Burzum, to me, is boring as fuck.

Burzum has some good songs but overall kind of overrated. I own two of their albums and almost never listen to them.

Jesus Tod is a damn great song though. Really hypnotic.

tanod

when is my burrito
I don't know if I have this right or if other people make this distinction but I've always thought the delineation between Metal and Hard Rock is that hard rock has a focus on melodic vocals and Metal highlights the music with the vocals being more complementary.

My opinion:
Too much Metallica in the top 25. I've enjoyed their music and they're really popular but I've never thought of their music or lyrics as pioneering in any significant way in terms of metal music. They've made some really good hard rock.

Black Sabbath is metal. Ozzy is hard rock.

I think the top 25 list is missing Static X, Staind and Slipknot though I haven't given much thought to where specific album(s) would go.

Machinehead, Sepultura and Pantera will always have a special place in my heart as the first metal bands I really got into. However, I don't think that Machinehead's or Sepultura's albums still hold up.

18-Volt

Huh...i was big on the Crue and always considered them glam rock along with poison, cinderella, slaughter, etc. I guess Too Fast for Love was different from later stuff though

Glam rock -> David Bowie, New York Dolls, The Stooges, Slade, Sweet, Mott the Hoople etc.

Glam metal -> Motley Crue, Poison, Ratt, Bon Jovi, Warrant, Skid Row etc.

Yeah, maybe not as hard as thrash, but glam metal is still metal. All of them come form same origin anyway; early 70s bands like Steppenwolf or Black Sabbath.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
^ Poison and Bon Jovi have never been metal. Skid Row yes, because of Slave to the Grind (great album too).
I don't know if I have this right or if other people make this distinction but I've always thought the delineation between Metal and Hard Rock is that hard rock has a focus on melodic vocals and Metal highlights the music with the vocals being more complementary.

???
I'm sorry, this is comically wrong. By this logic Iron Maiden or hell, Manowar isn't metal... nor is all of power metal.

You don't know what you are talking about, I'm afraid.

Black Sabbath is metal. Ozzy is hard rock.

I think the top 25 list is missing Static X, Staind and Slipknot though I haven't given much thought to where specific album(s) would go.

Machinehead, Sepultura and Pantera will always have a special place in my heart as the first metal bands I really got into. However, I don't think that Machinehead's or Sepultura's albums still hold up.
Ozzy is certainly more metal than Static X, Staind and Slipknot... :p And Sepultura's early albums are still amazing.

Bitanator

Not really feeling the list, seems like they just gave up with it and started naming shit to see what sticks.

No

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
Judas Priest - Stained Class
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Summoning - Minas Morgul
Skyclad - The Silent Whales of Lunar Sea
Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus
Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic
Slayer - Show No Mercy
Overkill - The Years of Decay
Rotting Christ - Non Serviam
Therion - Theli
Deströyer 666 - Phoenix Rising
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Dark Tranquillity - The Gallery
Samael - Blood Ritual
Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side
Jag Panzer - Thane to the Throne
Pentagram - Relentless
King Diamond - Abigail
Bathory - Hammerheart
Sepultura - Beneath the Remains
Helloween - Walls of Jericho
Running Wild - Black Hand Inn
Accept - Restless and Wild
Desaster - Hellfire's Dominion
Absu - Tara
Death - Symbolic
Venom - Black Metal
Pagan Altar - Lords of Hypocrisy
Pantera - Power Metal (hehe)
Amorphis - Tales from the Thousand Lakes
Anacrusis - Screams and Whispers
Virgin Steele - Invictus
Moonspell - Wolfheart
Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses
Melechesh - Emissaries
Helstar - Nosferatu
Satan - Life Sentence
Metal Church - Metal Church
Kreator - Pleasure to Kill
Sodom - Agent Orange
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Artillery - By Inheritance
Tiamat - Wildhoney
In the Woods - Heart of the Ages
Storm - Nordavind
Einherjer - Blot
Falkenbach - ...magni blandinn ok megintíri...
Moonsorrow - Voimasta ja kunniasta
Ancient Rites - Dim Carcosa
Hollenthon - With Vilest of Worms to Dwell
Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp
Natur - Head of Death
Sabbat - Envenom
Loudness - Thunder in the East
Testament - The Legacy
Anthrax - Among the Living
Dio - Holy Diver
Saxon - Denim and Leather
Angel Witch - Angel Witch
Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
Behemoth - Satanica
The Kovenant - Animatronic
Arkona - Vo Slavu Velikim!
Cruachan - Tuatha na Gael
Mithotyn - Gathered Around the Oaken Table
Falconer - Falconer
Metallica - Kill 'Em All

I am entirely with you. For some reason I thought it was in my original list -- added. KEA is awesome.

Definitely. KeA > RtL > MoP > AJfA > everything else

The top of the list seems to be a lot of originator Metal so they weren't going to place genres like black metal and death metal high if at all. These other types of metal mostly were underground and branched off due too metal getting too commercial and glam/hair metal giving the genre a goofy look. I'm ok with the exclusions it keeps the spirit of why those bands did what they did.

Servbot24

Banned
Dear lord. Is that list supposed to be an insult to metal fans? I guess it's kind of metal in a way to give the middle finger in the form of an album list.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I hoped to find a solid list that I could go away and listen to, but the posts immediately steered me away from using the OP list.

So GAF, I've essentially never listened to metal. Who wants to give me 5-10 albums, a solid introduction to metal? Hopefully some of you enjoy the challenge of picking just a few, Morrigan Stark's list is a bit... daunting.

Ristifer

I actually revisited Slave to the Grind the other week and thought it aged kinda poorly but at the time it released, I really liked it.
Slave will always be one of my favourites simply because of Bach's vocals. His vocals on that album are ridiculous.

Matsukaze

I hoped to find a solid list that I could go away and listen to, but the posts immediately steered me away from using the OP list.

So GAF, I've essentially never listened to metal. Who wants to give me 5-10 albums, a solid introduction to metal? Hopefully some of you enjoy the challenge of picking just a few, Morrigan Stark's list is a bit... daunting.
These should be accessible enough to someone new to metal:

Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Dio - Holy Diver

Bitanator

Give a couple songs a go first to get your feet wet. I suggest diving into some NWOBHM since it offers a wide range of great riffs vocals and timeless songs to get into and really get familiar to the genre. I'll share my top NWOBHM songs from a few years back, I ended up editing my list last year but have not gotten around to posting it in the metal thread, but this will do either way.

Iron Maiden – Phantom of the Opera
Diamond Head – Borrowed Time
Satan – break free
Crucifixion – Green Eyes
Saxon – Never Surrender
Tygers of Pan Tang – Badger, Badger
Venom - Witching Hour
Dark Star – lady of mars
Raven – Don’t Need Your Money
Pagan Altar – Rising of the Dark Lord
Angel Witch – Free Man
Grim Reaper - See You in Hell
Jaguar – Back Street Woman
Quartz – Satan’s Serenade
Persian Risk – 50000 Stallions
Def Leppard- Wasted
Marquis de Sade – somewhere over the mountain
Chateaux – Sprit of the Chateaux
Legend – why don’t you kill me?
Trespass – One of these days
Traitors Gate – Devil takes the high road
Hollow Ground – Fight with the devil
Saracen – heroes, Saints and fools
Tyrant – lonely eyes
Nutz – Bootliggers
Tokyo blade – if heaven was hell
Badger – Runaway
Original Sin – the Shadow
Demon – Into the Nightmare
Sweet Savage – Take no prisoners
Blitzkrieg - Armageddon
Tank - just like something from hell
Mythra – Death and Destiny
Girlschool – Demolition Boys
Bashful alley – my, my, my
Hell – Save those who would save us
Excaibur – only time can tell
Vardis – 100 MPH
Virtue – we stand and fight
Witchfinder general – Witchfinder General
Holocaust – death or glory
White Sprit – midnight chaser
Praying mantis – captured city
Gillan – unchain your brain
Samurai – knights in painted castles
Black rose – sucker for your love
Omega – blood sacrifice
Avenger – revenge attack
Tysondog – don’t let the bastards grind you down
Mad dog – fallin'
Fist – brain damage
Charger – desperadoes
Seventh son – metal to the moon
Dragster – destiny
Atomkraft – Death Valley, this planet burning
Blind fury – Dance of the Crimson Lady, Part 1
Cloven hoof – March of the damned
Chasar - Visions of Time
Hellanbach – all systems go
Overdrive - All Dogs Have Their Day
Elixir - Children of Tomorrow
Bleak House-Rainbow Warrior
Warrior – Dragonslayer
Syar - Death before Dishonor

18-Volt

^ Poison and Bon Jovi have never been metal. Skid Row yes, because of Slave to the Grind (great album too).

Genre's name is "Glam metal/hair metal". I hate this kind of elitism where people doesn't see any band softer than thrash as "metal". Glam metal is metal, Poision is metal, Def Leppard is metal, Bon Jovi is metal. Call it anything you like, glam metal, hair metal or pop metal but it's still metal.

Thrash metal is just a subgenre of metal, not the real definition of metal. Metal can be softer then you ever thought.

No BTBAM.

No Protest The Hero.

No Trivium (Ascendancy was a huge hit, and for good reason)

Very little in the way of European Metal (Wintersun, In Flames, really any of the Scandinavian acts)

City of Evil makes the cut, but not Waking The Fallen.

System of a Down, Korn, Tool, Evanescence.

Rightttttt....

^ Poison and Bon Jovi have never been metal. Skid Row yes, because of Slave to the Grind (great album too

Thank You, there is an incredibly wide gulf between the Sunset Strip Acts of the early 80's ie Motley Crüe, Ratt, Quiet Riot, Dokken when compared to overproduced bubblegum pop rock that the late 80's glam acts that the likes Bon Jovi, Posion and Warrant played.

I dare anyone to listen to Shout at the Devil or Invasion of Your Privacy, or Tooth and Nail and then with a straight face say that's similar to fucking Slippery When Wet or Open Up and Say Ahhh. Entirely different.

Bitanator

Thrash metal is just a subgenre of metal, not the real definition of metal. Metal can be softer then you ever thought.

Where does she mention that she thinks it is? You need to calm down you are too invested in this, it will soon be another thread of shit flingers yelling of elitism because an opinion was shared that does not coincide with their own.

Top Bottom