• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Museum visitors' photo stunt damages 800-year-old coffin

Razorback

Before the internet, and therefore before the capability to report on every act of stupidity 24/7 from a population of 7 billion from around the globe, there were no stupid people, none.

Eh, sorry for the snark, but I'd be more surprised to hear that this sort of thing is rare. Just playing the numbers game I'm sure it must happen almost every day at least somewhere in the world.

The baby was taking a "selfie"?
Or did you just not read the OP?

I read the OP...obviously I'm referring to the parents not the baby. But there have been a number of stories recently relating to selfie/Instagram culture being responsible for the destruction of art and artifacts.

This is fucking infuriating and definitely an outgrowth of self absorption in the confines of social media bullshit.

See, this selfie bullshit is something that makes me want to punch Millennials in the face.

"millennials"

tumblr_nquocesysZ1sj4xr4o1_400.gif

Cb8khWQUAAAjc1u.jpg

selfie-stick-gif.0.gif

2000s

1990s

1970s

what a mark

Big Blue

While the tourists deserve the blame, why the fuck would the museum not put a top to prevent this from happening? Just seems odd.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
While the tourists deserve the blame, why the fuck would the museum not put a top to prevent this from happening? Just seems odd.

When I was a kid the art museums around here didn't even have ropes.

Dyle

$$, plexi/glass vitrine bonnets are way more expensive than you would expect and the custom made base they have likely cost thousands already, the extra hundred a top would cost could have just barely been too much for a small community place like this . Also because encasing everything leads to a less enriching experience. A sandstone object like this wouldn't really suffer from being out in the open unless someone went out of their way to do something stupid like this.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Barely over a hundred years ago the Mona Lisa was completely unprotected. It wasn't even fastened to the wall, lol.

Razorback

Barely over a hundred years ago the Mona Lisa was completely unprotected. It wasn't even fastened to the wall, lol.

The Mona Lisa wasn't a famous painting before being stolen. It's famous now only becouse it was stolen.

I read the OP...obviously I'm referring to the parents not the baby.

The parents were taking a "selfie" of the baby?

Come on, that doesn't make any sense at all.
The parents were taking a photograph of the baby - in a similar manner to how people have taken photographs for decades.

This has nothing to do with "selfies," since it's not a "selfie."
This has to do with people being idiots.

Selfie culture.

See above.

Monocle

Nice job dumbfucks.

This was kind of predictable though. I mean, of course some morons were going to see an open receptacle and vault ahead of all the ordinary dummies by literally placing their little pooper inside the fragile artifact. Of course.

TAJ

The Mona Lisa wasn't a famous painting before being stolen. It's famous now only becouse it was stolen.

There weren't really any famous paintings then, so that's not saying much. It was extremely well-regarded at the time.

You know? I never knew the context of this gif.
Would anyone mind telling me what this is?

--->

Ok I must have backstory please.

I think it's a daytime soap opera, judging from the kitschy style.

Here is the backstory if anyone was wondering. Soap is One Life to Live

http://soaps.sheknows.com/one-life-to-live/recaps/7708/preparing-to-say-goodbye-forever

What is it with daytime soaps? Weddings are always a bloodbath and people are always attending their own funerals.

Apathy

Lol no. Did you get your art history degree from phantom limb?

While the theft if the painting increased it's notoriety, it was one of the first paintings to be put on display in the Louvre and had been praised s Leonardo's greatest piece in the Louvre decades before it was ever stolen.

Razorback

Lol no. Did you get your art history degree from phantom limb?

While the theft if the painting increased it's notoriety, it was one of the first paintings to be put on display in the Louvre and had been praised s Leonardo's greatest piece in the Louvre decades before it was ever stolen.

The Louvre Museum opened in 1793 and the Mona Lisa was only put on display there in 1804.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-...ame-the-worlds-most-famous-painting-16406234/

"At the time of the “Mona Lisa” heist, Leonardo da Vinci's masterpiece was far from the most visited item in the museum. Leonardo painted the portrait around 1507, and it was not until the 1860s that art critics claimed the Mona Lisa was one of the finest examples of Renaissance painting. This judgment, however, had not yet filtered beyond a thin slice of the intelligentsia, and interest in it was relatively minimal. In his 1878 guidebook to Paris, travel writer Karl Baedeker offered a paragraph of description about the portrait; in 1907 he had a mere two sentences, much less than the other gems in the museum, such as Nike of Samothrace and Venus de Milo."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQr4FhbcPMg

I was recently in Ephesus, and my friend wanted me to help her climb into a 2000 year old grave so she could take a cool picture for IG.

I looked at her like

1245227615_colin_farrel.gif
I went there as a kid in the late 90's and and there were no barriers/restrictions at the time. I was only ten but I remember being taken aback at how liberally people were touching things, even then, that were older then Christ (esp. being a Brit, used to everything of historical value being behind glass).

Dyle

Well you're both right, it really depends on how you define "famous". The Mona Lisa was a highly well regarded work, in part because Leonardo had so few painted works but also due to its unique composition and Vasari's impressive take on it. It was definitely well known within art connoisseurs, certainly the most well known Renaissance private portrait, but was unknown to the wider world. Its fame from the theft came in part due to the timing, when technology had advanced such that it could be somewhat reasonably reproduced for newspapers covering the heist. Also it's worth remembering that the tech, even just decently sized, perfectly flat and clear glass suitable for a protecting painting, wasn't made until around the time it was stolen

Tell me this isn't real. ..

That was 90% gravity
https://www.youtube.com/watch?nomobile=1&v=bLzDEwhwjlo&ab_channel=Adam

Top Bottom