• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Museum visitors' photo stunt damages 800-year-old coffin

Apathy

Just so you know, the Baedeker guide, even if it was two sentences, said it was "the most celebrated work of Leonardo in the Louvre". It was known to be a masterpiece by there intellectuals of the time and it was placed into the museum first in 1798, but was taken by Napoleon and put in his bedroom until 1804

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2005/04/06/arts/design/in-louvre-new-room-with-view-of-mona-lisa.html

Leonardo apparently carried the painting with him, first to Milan, then to Rome and finally to France, where he died in 1519. King Francis I acquired the portrait from one of the painter's heirs. It was hung in royal palaces in Fontainebleau, the Louvre and Versailles until it was placed in the new Museum Central des Arts in the Louvre in 1798. In 1800, Napoleon took it to his quarters in the Tuileries Palace, but it returned to the museum in 1804.

latest

Some idiots should never be allowed in museums.

jayu26

You have to admire a brain that sees a protective barrier around the artifact and comes to conclusion that their dumbass is somehow exempt from no touching rule.

Compsiox

Banned
The Mona Lisa wss well known because it was one of the first paintings to praise people instead of gods or spiritual entities

Qvoth

all this talk about mona lisa reminded me of when i saw it on louvre
for me it was kinda meh, didn't get all the hype
plenty of other artwork stuff over there that interest me much more

louiedog

You have to admire a brain that sees a protective barrier around the artifact and comes to conclusion that their dumbass is somehow exempt from no touching rule.

Yeah, but that sign is for idiots who might damage it. These people are smart so it doesn't apply to them. They're also good at driving while texting. And they drink coffee on the bus because they won't spill it because they're careful. Oops now there are puddles of coffee preventing people from using 3 seats during the morning commute.

Decider

Don't agree with the behaviour of the parents in this scenario but I'm puzzled by the people in this thread that appear to be completely bewildered by the sort of humour that leads to taking a silly photo of your kid in a coffin.

Don't agree with the behaviour of the parents in this scenario but I'm puzzled by the people in this thread that appear to be completely bewildered by the sort of humour that leads to taking a silly photo of your kid in a coffin.

I suppose that kind of "humour" goes along with a general tendency towards irresponsible behaviour. Not quite DaddyOFive level, but still a side-eye candidate.

Dynomutt

I suppose that kind of "humour" goes along with a general tendency towards irresponsible behaviour. Not quite DaddyOFive level, but still a side-eye candidate.

Or the mom who filmed her son attempting the fire challenge on Youtube. Poured acetone all over his body and lit it on fire. I think he had 3rd degree burns on his chest and neck. Pretty sure CPS and the state went after her.

Decider

Absolute nonsense. It's perfectly possible to have an absurd sense of humour without being irresponsible.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Speaking of sideeye...
Back when there was no/nearly no protection for the art in art museums the old security guard reading a paper on a bench would give you sideeye if you breathed wrong.

Generally speaking, I hate when people are obnoxious assholes who treat art on display like props for their shitty ass pictures.

This one is phenomenal though. Yeah, that coffin was displayed so you could put your kid in it.

Acerac

Banned
Museums need to start sectioning off exhibits. This is getting more frequent it seems.

They need to start openly punishing people who break the rules but then the assholes who believe themselves above the rules would whine and bitch and it'd end up losing them business in the long run.

They need to start openly punishing people who break the rules but then the assholes who believe themselves above the rules would whine and bitch and it'd end up losing them business in the long run.

It's a public museum operated by Southend-On-Sea Borough Council. Entry to public museums and galleries in the UK is free, though they do make a little money from gift shops and guided tours.

The Council could pass the evidence to the police, who might investigate whether any law was broken. If so the police would hand the case to the Crown Prosecution Service which would decide whether a prosecution would be in the public interest. This action wouldn't cost the Borough Council anything.

A public benefit of a prosecution would be that people would know you can't just damage archaeological artefacts like this and sneak off. The evidence in this case might well point to a charge of criminal damage.

Top Bottom