• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

khaaan

Looks like I'm going on a short term assignment.

See ya'll next summer, I get to enhance my gaming with some sweet sweet
European dis
advantages.

Edit: Sheeeiiiit, I'm going to literally just miss FFXV release date.

Dazzler

European dis
advantages.

where you off to in Europe? Keep your Canadian accounts, games in Europe are expensive

70 Euro per game in Ireland, which is over 100 bucks

Kyolux

European dis
advantages.

Edit: Sheeeiiiit, I'm going to literally
just miss FFXV release date

That blows... That's quite last minute too no?

Good luck over there. Is this military related?

khaaan

where you off to in Europe? Keep your Canadian accounts, games in Europe are expensive

70 Euro per game in Ireland, which is over 100 bucks

lol yeah, I don't think I'm going to be buying any physical games there unless it's one of those retro games that never saw a NA release. I'll probably take it as an opportunity to work through the ol' backlog. I'm going to be in Sweden.

That blows... That's quite last minute too no?

Good luck over there. Is this military related?

Sort of last minute. I was aware it was going to happen but was under the impression it was going to be January. It just got pushed up all of a sudden. Not military related though, just going to one the branches of the company I work at. Missing out on some major releases (Switch *sob*) sucks but it's still an opportunity to see Europe with a lot of the trip paid for so I'm happy. The suddeness sort of changes some plans though (weddings, vacations, family get together's, etc.)

BTails

Was able to grab a copy of Quantum Break at a Source downtown Calgary today: $19.99. Last copy too, definitely worth the 10 minute walk from my office.

Well.. amazon said it was too late to cancel my WD2 order. Don't feel like returning it though so I guess I'll just go along with it and just forget about that SDM deal.

edit: oh damn.. just realized I should order pokemon now for the prime discount. I don't want it. But my gf will and it's her birthday in 3 weeks.. Which should I get? Sun or Moon?

Superior Sun or Mediocre Moon. Your choice.

Honestly though look at the exclusives for each version and pick the one you want. Also there is a fairly significant non-Pokemon-related difference between the two which I won't spoil here.

Just select "broken or damaged" and it won't cost you anything.

And what happens when they receive a perfectly re-saleable game back instead?

Do an online chat and be honest. They might refund the difference ("I found it cheaper elsewhere") or process the return for free.

So I canceled my second PS4 Pro pre order at Ebgames last night (that I ordered online for store pick up) and they were reluctant to return the money back to my credit card. I fought them but honestly I was having a bad day and didn't feel like escalating it and just took the damn store credit.
I buy games through prime so that ends up being an annoyance.
Rarely shop there anymore but now I doubt I'll ever be back (might just gift the store credit).

If your original method of payment was with a credit card, they should refund to your credit card. Definitely fight it. Contact head office.

Gibbles17

I did a backup of everything (minus "apps") on my OG PS4 to a USB stick, deactivated and did a factory reset, and then traded it in at the same time as I picked up the Pro. Restored from backup on the Pro when I got it home. The whole process went smoothly.

Make sure they refund you the correct trade-in value. Don't get ripped off by taking 175 + 50 like some people have. It should be 210+50+games or at the very least ~201+50+games.

Thanks team. Good to go, transfer process was smooth. Got my old unit packed up and ready to drop off later today. Made sure with the rep that I'd be getting $260 back which will put my total out of pocket cost @ ~$155 (I think the guy worked some magic and got me a little extra value for my 5 games).

Happy it went as smooth as it did. First couple calls to the store last week were sketchy. First guy tried to tell me that the list of eligible trade-in games (>$8 value on the website) was wrong and that the games needed to be worth >$13. Told him that's not what the site said and that we'd see when I got there. Second gal tried to tell me she was sure that the $260 refund for the transfer was in-store credit only, actually lol'd into the phone at that. She also told me they couldn't reserve units for people and it was first come, first serve.

Called again to confirm stock a few days back, was told they didn't have any but should be receiving some in the morning. The second lady I spoke to actually gave me a call back the next day and told me there'd be a unit waiting for me. I asked how likely it'd be for them to still have stock later in the day when I was off work since they couldn't do reservations. She assured me there'd be one waiting for me and lo and behold, showed up at the store, was told they were sold out and just had one unit left reserved with my name and info on it, was really stoked :).

Despite the initial hiccups, super good service from the EB at Southgate here in Edmonton. Now to bug Amazon for better shipping for FFXV.

You were the kids who came into my Blockbuster and played Pokemon Snap for hours on end?

snap3.jpg

Kyolux

Superior Sun or Mediocre Moon. Your choice.

Honestly though look at the exclusives for each version and pick the one you want. Also there is a fairly significant non-Pokemon-related difference between the two which I won't spoil here.

Went with Moon before seeing your response. Also, asked her if she liked more the moon or the sun. She said moon so went with that.

Are you talking about the part I saw where night-time during the day in Moon?

Cynar

Guess if I find a copy at SDM I'm still going to save money by returning it. (Amazon charges like $5-6 for returns)
I haven't returned much but when I have there was no penalty. Do you do lots of returns? Perhaps your account was flagged or something :p

SickBoy

FWIW, I really liked Quantum Break, despite its cheesy TV movie and whatever other shortcomings (it's one of the few games I started to replay this year). For $20 it's an amazing deal.

I don't know what happened, but I traded in Black Ops 3 and Triforce Heroes towards Sun and Moon and got 50 bucks

what is happening

Yeah I'll definitely try fighting it.

Also, is there a thread for selling stuff locally in the Toronto area on neogaf? Im in the Toronto/ Mississauga area looking to sell some PC hardware, I'm moving and need to make some bucks/ clear space. Kijiji is giving me lowballers.

Maddog

I don't know what happened, but I traded in Black Ops 3 and Triforce Heroes towards Sun and Moon and got 50 bucks

what is happening

"When customers trade a maximum of 2 eligible games towards any new release (up to two weeks after launch), they will receive $25 for each game, up to a maximum of $50!"

Kyolux

I haven't returned much but when I have there was no penalty. Do you do lots of returns? Perhaps your account was flagged or something :p

I never do. That was the only time I did. Well except when I was missing a piece of my halloween costume last year.

Moltenix

"When customers trade a maximum of 2 eligible games towards any new release (up to two weeks after launch), they will receive $25 for each game, up to a maximum of $50!"

This is one of the more generous trade promos they've had in a while.

Remember the good ol' days when games were $59.99 and it was "Trade 2, Get it free"?

This is one of the more generous trade promos they've had in a while.

Remember the good ol' days when games were $59.99 and it was "Trade 2, Get it free"?

I remember the couple of times Walmart sold new releases for like $39 at launch. I think arkham asylum may have been one of them but I may be wrong.

Dazzler

one thing that's never really commented on is games prices have gone up to $80, but trade in values haven't gone up accordingly

Extra 25% margin for games retailers, it's crazy

killroy87

one thing that's never really commented on is games prices have gone up to $80, but trade in values haven't gone up accordingly

Extra 25% margin for games retailers, it's crazy

Trading games in was never conceived to be a good value for the customer. As long as they can get away with it, they'll low ball you.

No_Style

I think Bad Company 2 got this as well? And Just Cause 2?

Yes on Just Cause 2.

Didn't find anything on Bad Company 2 though but it did discount to $39.99 in the summer after the spring release.

Speaking of mining historical deals, I did another retrospective on Black Friday including last year's. Like every year: Keep your expectations in check.

Pro-tip: If you're ever looking for a deal from the past, a great place to start is via Twitter's Advanced Search and specify "GameDealsCanada" in the "From these accounts" field. I'm pretty thorough so something should pop up.

UberTag

EB removes skus when they are out of stock for a while.

NES Classic isn't even showing up by search.
NES Classic? What's that?
It's not something I've ever seen in stores and, seeing how it's not up on EBGames.ca, I must assume it never was and/or has since been discontinued.

antibolo

Banned
So guys, any chance that the Samsung KS8000 series might get a discount on Black Friday?

I'm eyeing the 49 inch model right now, which would fit nicely on my TV stand. Current price at BB right now is $2000.

Lexxism

So guys, any chance that the Samsung KS8000 series might get a discount on Black Friday?

I'm eyeing the 49 inch model right now, which would fit nicely on my TV stand. Current price at BB right now is $2000.
It might but not much. It is much cheaper at BH Photo. Around $1300 to $1400 with taxes and 2 yr warranty.

Subtotal:$962.98
Customs Clearance :$122.85
Shipping:Free
Order Total:$1,085.83
CAD: 1,456.86

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom