• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Skyward Sword Spoiler Thread: Retelling the Legend without the black bars

The Boat

The game actually lets you turn off elemets of the HUD you won't need if you're experienced. But you can't turn off annoying messages that don't help people after the first couple hours. That's what baffles me.

The shield and battery warnings are pretty useful, it's the health one that's useless since there's already that bleeping sound when you're low on hearts. The Fi chime is super low key and you only have to read the actual message if you press down. I have noticed that a lot of people online seem to have an incredibly low annoyance threshold, but I still think it's an enormous overreaction. Not that an option to turn those warnings off would be a bad thing of course.

Emitan

Yeah, but it broke .. I think if you left it get hit enough it does break as it disappeared from my inventory.

Weird. It regenerates pretty quickly. And when you upgrade it all the way it has insane durability when you factor in it's regeneration.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Weird. It regenerates pretty quickly. And when you upgrade it all the way it has insane durability when you factor in it's regeneration.

Same thing happened to me, mine broke during the big enemy onslaught at the end. I accidentally brought my shield out in the middle of a bunch of guys(thanks motion control), they all hit it at once and shattered it instantly. Fortunately I at least had my iron shield on hand for the bosses.

Shiggy

Just finished this. I had to fight the last 2 bosses without any shield as it broke on the way down the winding slope to him...... that was fun!

I beat the game without using the shield. I was just annoyed when it accidently went up because I was moving the nunchuk or whatever. Don't even really know how to use it or where I was supposed to use it :D

PokéKong

I totally bought Fi's line about not being able to use skyward strike at face value, but discovered I could take the lightning at some point just by accident. I was stuck trying to deflect his lightning for a while. I mean it's a Zelda final boss, you GOTTA play a little tennis, right? But then I still gave up after dying a few times because my shield kept breaking and my whole strategy revolved around parrying. So I read up on to get the Hero's Shield and knew that was my new mission.

The boss rush felt like total masochism, you can't imagine how thrilled I was to fight the Imprisoned THREEE MOOORE times. I'm surprised they made that shield such a hard and obscure prize to get, I was thinking all along it would be much more of a central item to the story, what with it being the item featured in almost all Zelda games which already had a bird emblem on it, and the fact that it's featured in many trailers and artwork for the game, once you have it feels like you've finally reached true official 110% real destined hero status.

Pretty much whipped Demise once I had that. Perhaps it was just the confidence boost.

Oh boy, can not wait to deal with the Imprisoned SIX more times in Hero Mode.

atbigelow

How does one put in those codes? I would like to replay on Hero Mode and not have to deal with those annoyances.

I ripped my disc and use cfg loader to put the codes in. You will definitely need to have put The Homebrew Channel on your Wii to use the Ocarina codes.

If you don't want to run through the hassle of getting an external hard drive and all that stuff worked out, you can use a homebrew app called "GeckOS" that lets you save the codes and use them from the disc.

Unfortunately, either of these routes aren't as simple as picking the disc channel and clicking Play.

But I like the black bars during Z-Targeting! It's one of the little touches I've always loved about Zelda.
Yeah it's not really anything super critical, like instant text or the item animation skip. I tried it to see if it helped things and it's barely a change from my playing.

sphinx

the piano man
is there any correlation between the big fish in the thunderhead and the windfish in Link's awakening? are they the same?

does LA take place in the dream of that big guy???

JaseMath

I heard that during the fight(s) with The Imprisoned, you can leap onto his head from above and drive the spike in that way? Is this true? If so...I was doing it wrong the entire time...!

The Boat

is there any correlation between the big fish in the thunderhead and the windfish in Link's awakening? are they the same?

does LA take place in the dream of that big guy???

It's likely that he's the Windfish yeah, but as usual, it's not official.

sphinx

the piano man

The Boat

I hope sombody asks miyamoto and co. it really looks like the one and same Windfish, it was nice to have seen that.

kinda creepy to think that all of of link'w awakening is based on the dream of a NPC

Nintendo like to keep these things vague, it's part of the charm honestly.

sphinx

the piano man
I didn't ask to fight the same thing 3 times.

no, you didn't, you just decided to hit the beast's toes, having to deal with shitty camera angles, losing hearts every time the red shockwave hit you and overall making the battle painfully slow and annoying.

(I did as well, if I had battled the imprisoned like this, I would have had soooooo much more fun)

no, you didn't, you just decided to hit the beast's toes, having to deal with shitty camera angles, losing hearts every time the red shockwave hit you and overall making the battle painfully slow and annoying.

I didn't do that either... I did it the more fun way. I love the fact that there are multiple ways to take the thing out, I just wish they hadn't have made you fight it so many times. Why could they have not put in some more fights instead? There was tons of possibility that they ignored.

sphinx

the piano man
I didn't do that either... I did it the more fun way. I love the fact that there are multiple ways to take the thing out, I just wish they hadn't have made you fight it so many times. Why could they have not put in some more fights instead? There was tons of possibility that they ignored.

so how did you fight it?

and I am no Imprisoned x 3 defender, I hated battles 2 and 3 with a passion, definitely the lowest point in the game.

sphinx

the piano man
actually, I wonder if a skyward strike could destroy all three frontal toes in a single move.

if yes, then there's another thing I could have done.

Muskweeto

The credits are smooth for me, I wonder if it has to do with the Wii itself. I'm using a newer black one because the disc drive died on my old one. I wonder if it has to do with the disc drive.

Xun

The credits are smooth for me, I wonder if it has to do with the Wii itself. I'm using a newer black one because the disc drive died on my old one. I wonder if it has to do with the disc drive.
I don't think so since the actual credits are smooth, just not the video.

I think it's related to PAL and NTSC.

I have a black wii, and ripped the game to HDD still got the stuttering end credits

I enjoyed all 3 fights. The last one was especially tense and epic.

Oh god, the third one was a pain in the ass. I didn't know that you could go on a ledge above him, and jump on him. So I was chopping his toes off and always getting hit by that stupid red wave. I almost rage quit..

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Oh god, the third one was a pain in the ass. I didn't know that you could go on a ledge above him, and jump on him. So I was chopping his toes off and always getting hit by that stupid red wave. I almost rage quit..
If you take out all the toes in one foot, that foot stops making red waves.

Log4Girlz

Same here, and then when he was on his back, I had to go to the level below and run off to his head.

I hated the intense repetition...I hate seeing this guy 3 times, and the fucking song of the hero. Wasn't it enough to go to each temple to get the flames? I had to get some damn song too?

Still a great game, just a bit padded.

If you take out all the toes in one foot, that foot stops making red waves.
I know, but it was taking out the toes that was the problem.

Same here, and then when he was on his back, I had to go to the level below and run off to his head.

I hated the intense repetition...I hate seeing this guy 3 times, and the fucking song of the hero. Wasn't it enough to go to each temple to get the flames? I had to get some damn song too?

Still a great game, just a bit padded.

That really, really bugged me. Just made the battle longer than it had to be.
To be honest, the 3rd Imprisoned fight, the swimming controls and the water tadpoles (or whatever the fuck their called) were the only parts that bugged me throughout the whole game.
In fact, I loved going back to Eldin Volcano and being stealth, reminded me so much of Wind Waker.

Xun

For me, the credits video only lagged when playing on Dolphin. On the actual Wii (loading from a USB HDD) everything was peachy.
Strange.

It definitely would seem however that Europeans are the only ones getting the issues on the Wii itself, although I could be wrong.

sphinx

the piano man
I was truly impressed with some of the facial expressions in this game, specially with Link, whose desing model is basically taken from Twilight Princess. He really expressed a lot more emotions than ever before.

In the very end, when Fi says "Thank you" and disappears, Link's expression, together with the music and the context, I REALLY was about to cry, It was emotionally very touching and the same in the next cutscene between Impa and Zelda, Zelda's expression looks so.. heartfelt.

If we compare the similar situation in Wind Waker where Tetra tells the King to come up to the surface and he refuses to do so, the expressions of toon-link and tetra don't even come close, there is no comparison.

Log4Girlz

I was truly impressed with some of the facial expressions in this game, specially with Link, whose desing model is basically taken from Twilight Princess. He really expressed a lot more emotions than ever before.

In the very end, when Fi says "Thank you" and disappears, Link's expression, together with the music and the context, I REALLY was about to cry, It was emotionally very touching and the same in the next cutscene between Impa and Zelda, Zelda's expression looks so.. heartfelt.

If we compare the similar situation in Wind Waker where Tetra tells the King to come up to the surface and he refuses to do so, the expressions of toon-link and tetra don't even come close, there is no comparison.

TP and SS Link look too much like aliens.

Sagitario

TP and SS Link look too much like aliens.

HKck1.jpg

Log4Girlz

With eyes that big he should be able to see into the next continent, in the dark. Or through Zelda's clothing.

Anyhoo...I really do think this Zelda is one of the very best games I've ever played...not perfect of course...but in terms of refinement the changes I would like to see in the next game are:

Love the upgrade system, but give me more creative ways to acquire mats. I thought whipping horns from enemies was nice. More stuff like that please

Trim down on items. The scarab was awesome and everything else seemed to suck in comparison. Did we really need the whip? Couldn't the swinging and grabbing be done with the double claws? (which are always awesome). Did we really need a leaf blower? I would prefer getting the bow and arrow earlier and not bothering with the sling shot really.

Make the skyward strike more important and interesting, like, make it an effective medium range attack, or let it augment a physical swipe more.

Cut back on re-entering areas, fucking song of the hero, you have to be kidding me!

Bring back some cool boots. I was thinking that they could hold off on the sprint option until you got some upgraded boots. Then a further upgrade would allow slow falls (instead of a sail cloth, which was really weird IMO) and running on water.

Make a sprinting shield attack.

Don't lay on the "destiny" angle heavy to early. I don't feel as attached to the story if I feel its inevitable I succeed. Perhaps when I've earned the title of "hero" items at shops become free seeing as how I'm fighting for the future of my entire people. The distance and time it takes to return to town coupled with a limited inventory will balance out the free shit.

Make the skyward strike more important and interesting, like, make it an effective medium range attack, or let it augment a physical swipe more.
?

I used it nonstop on Hero Mode for this very reason. You start the game with the True Master Sword's Skyward Strike, and it is very helpful.

Top Bottom