• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2017 (Jan 09 - Jan 15)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
No reason to believe any of these dates are real. Level5 will just pull them out again when they have Level5 Vision 2017 and announce new dates. Or they will be reworked again into something else.

It's more like...I think we have yet to see any new material about them since the Level 5 Vision 2016, correct me if I'm wrong.

How many kids there are in Japan? I'm trying to get my low-end estimate of every kid in Japan owning a switch, and then we need to add teens and adults that will buy the system too. I guess 50 million LTD is not out of reach.

I'm really not sure how to approach this post.

L~A

Well, those are the latest known "dates" we have for those two. Lady Layton most likely is delayed, since we haven't heard anything about it at all since the conference.

The Snack World is still far away (by Level-5's standards), and with the manga already running + anime debuting in April, not really sure what to think about it.

This is Level-5, so anything is possible.

inb4 Layton 7's comeback of revengeance of return Part III

jonno394

Launching a new IP on the 3DS in Snack World definitely gives them the largest audience, but if they want to make this a long running franchise then surely getting it on the Switch (if not instead of, then as well as) makes a lot of sense?

Or is the fact mobile will be leading Snack World out of the gates a sign that this will be their preferred format going forward?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I have photographic memory.

Yes
Follow the link and you will see the context
Many were predicting huge decrease for 3ds, probably because of mistaken NX predictions, debating ps4 vs 3ds sales for 2016
So I was pretty positive about it

So, photographic memory, try again

It is simple. My Switch sales predictions are there

sense

I agree with some of Aostia's points but at the same time the conclusions he makes are very hard to support. Is the Switch priced as a home console rather than a portable at this point? Absolutely. Is the Switch a hard sell as the replacement the 3DS now? Yes. But do either of those points mean it is not an attractive product? Nope. Nintendo can sell a successful home console that has a portable function. That's not to say they will automatically succeed or that it will be easy, but I think given what we've seen so far they have a pretty good shot.

Here's how I see it. It's like a company selling shirts and pants. For a period of time their pants weren't selling because the competition was better. But their shirts were really successful. Their shirts continue to be really successful and they're still selling new shirts in the current branding line. They have decided to discontinue their pants brand. Instead their next brand line is a set of shirts and pants. It's more expensive than just their shirts, and it isn't immediately replacing the shirt brand, but depending on how fashionable the two piece sets are in the new brand, it could still take off better than their failed pants brand. It being more expensive than their casual shirts doesn't mean jack shit.

What are your thoughts on the companies' underwear business. I hear they are selling them at rival stores to entice them to come to their store to pick up the shirts and pants. Other Manufacturers for the most part seem to be waiting for the company to sell the shirt from the two piece set as standalone before they embrace the new brand.

i tried lol

How many kids there are in Japan? I'm trying to get my low-end estimate of every kid in Japan owning a switch, and then we need to add teens and adults that will buy the system too. I guess 50 million LTD is not out of reach.
What's the population of Japan? Times that by 2 - that's the Switch's LTD.

And Farming Simulator 18 for the 3DS will easily sell 5+ million.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Yes
Follow the link and you will see the context
Many were predicting huge decrease for 3ds, probably because of mistaken NX predictions, debating ps4 vs 3ds sales for 2016
So I was pretty positive about it

So, photographic memory, try again

Being likely the only one who predicted such a collapse and still being positive is something else.

When you make bold predictions get ready for crow when they are way off.

hiska-kun

So with Cube Creator DX, here's what the 3DS line-up for this year looks like (retail-only, probably missing a couple really minor ones):

April 20th

[3DS] Pro Yakyuu Famista Climax
[3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
[3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - Limited Edition

April 27th

[3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X
[3DS] Cube Creator DX

I feel that this year Golden Week will be finally bigger than other years. MK8 Deluxe is also releasing in April 28th. At least these games have some potencial.

[3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3 (Ver. 3.0 update)

Wait, so you're expecting another retail release for this one? What's next? Udon/Soba?

No reason to believe any of these dates are real. Level5 will just pull them out again when they have Level5 Vision 2017 and announce new dates. Or they will be reworked again into something else.

I feel the same, everthing from Level 5 always get delayed. It's Snack World Anime still coming in april?

Fdkn

I'm really not sure how to approach this post.

That's beacause you are not taking into account nag factore pressure.

What's the population of Japan? Times that by 2 - that's the Switch's LTD.

And Farming Simulator 18 for the 3DS will easily sell 5+ million.

Yes, assuming that's a typo and you mean Switch, I think we can safely predict that million sellers is no longer an important metric going forward, as we're going to talk about 5million sellers from the get go.

L~A

I feel that this year Golden Week will be finally bigger than other years. MK8 Deluxe is also releasing in April 28th. At least these games have some potencial.

Wait, so you're expecting another retail release for this one? What's next? Udon/Soba?

I feel the same, everthing from Level 5 always get delayed. It's Snack World Anime still coming in april?

1) not sure about GW, I feel we've thought it would be better than previous years for a while, and each year has been rather meh overall. From the titles you highlighted, Cube Creator DX will be the most interesting since it's kinda like Minecraft, but not really Minecraft. Unlike DQB, it's launching at the right price, and on the right platform to boot. Not sure how well it'll do, but at least it does have potential.

2) About YW3 3.0, I forgot to remove it, I don't think there'll be a retail release for that.

3) yes, the Snack World anime is still slated for an April debut (they even uploaded a trailer just for that a couple of weeks ago). Manga already running in CoroCoro. February 15th is when we should start hearing more about it.

L~A

What's the last download number we got for this one? if we ever got any. (Not talking about Famitsu's estimates, but real numbers).

I meant the last entry of course.

I don't think we've had proper numbers for that one (if we did, I'm sure someone will post them).

Unrelated, and somewhat unexpected, Pokémon Comaster just released in English:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...kemoncomaster&rdid=jp.pokemon.pokemoncomaster

JP release wasn't received so well, so a bit surprised to see that one getting a global release.

zeromcd73

http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/50511671.html

Looks like the upcoming Accel World vs Sword Art Online game will be the final Sword Art Online game on PS Vita. From a Q&A with the series producer in this weeks Dengeki magazine:

Q: I can't decide whether to buy the PS4 or PS Vita version. I am thinking of buying the Vita version if I will be able to play future entries portable on PS Vita...

A: We are thinking of supporting Vita until Sword Art Online vs Accel World. After that we want our users to experience the game on high end machines, or rather a better environment to play our games. So if you want to continue enjoying the Sword Art Online series I would recommend you buy the PS4 version.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So rolling back on the Falcom thing and my starting point in general, let me try to explain this another way, since I think I've failed to communicate what I was saying well.

Let's say that between salary, benefits, office space, and hardware/software, it costs the equivalent of $60,000 to staff an artist for one year on a low end Japanese video game.

Let's also say that a publisher gets $40 from a full price game sold to a retailer after licensing fees, manufacturing, and retailer margin.

In order to cover the cost of an additional artist, it take 4500 additional units. If your project has 2-3 more artists, that's an additional 9000-13,500 units that have to be sold in order to cover cost increases.

Now, for Falcom in particular, this may not be true. Duckroll raises the point that they have more projects now that they're a three team studio, and might be able to rotate staff more efficiently to amortize any cost increase caused by additional staff. This is certainly something that has to be assessed on a per studio basis and is hard to know from the outside.

But, moving back to the general case, imagine a game that sells 60,000-100,000 units. Raising the sales requirement by 9000-13,500 would be a lot. The game also has to handle the fact that sales might go down, given trends in the Japanese market.

This is mainly what I was wondering about when I was talking about the 3DS transition. Like, Fire Emblem and Monster Hunter are going to make money hand over fist even if they have to triple their budget. That's not an issue. But when we start looking at games that sell 30K, 60K, or maybe even 100K, it's where I start to wonder more about the economics as things transition and the market becomes harsher.

Prepare for things to get ridiculous then.

Just wait for God Eater details

On this note, I looked at Shift's website, and they're hiring for Unity experience. Looking at that trailer again, it's plausibly a Unity 5 game, which would be able to run on Vita (though uh, with Unity Vita performance).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
This is be a year Japan will go up, Golden Week won't be an exception. There was rise for Golden Week last year too, but it was a small one.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Being likely the only one who predicted such a collapse and still being positive is something else.

When you make bold predictions get ready for crow when they are way off.

Fact is I didn't predicted such a collapse, but foreseeing it easily sell 1+ million, especially with DQ :)

You can call me out within few weeks if the Switch will sell gangbuster at launch, or at the end of the year if it will sell more than 1.5 million

easy ;)*

*fact is: I REALLY hope to be wrong about Switch.

Durante

@Nirolak:
I think the contention is not that more staff isn't a significant expense for niche projects -- that's obvious. I think the real question is "do those invariably need more staff".

And in that regard, it really depends on (a) expectations and fidelity requirements and (b) the asset creation tools and existing workflow.
Only if both expectations increase (asset expectation to be precise, not image or rendering quality) and the workflow cannot accommodate somewhat higher fidelity without a commensurate increase in manual effort is there an actual increase in artist working hours. I think the latter (b) part is important -- with modern tools, low-poly models aren't necessarily always a time saving over higher-poly ones, and textures might have been downsampled for lower-end platforms from some higher-resolution authored original.

Ōkami

Golden Week 2015
Bravely Second: End Layer
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma Extend
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory II
Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition
Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online
Xenoblade Chronicles X

Golden Week 2016
One Piece: Burning Blood
Kirby: Planet Robobot
Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2016

Golden Week 2017
Pro Yakyuu Famista Climax
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X
Cube Creator DX
Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
Dark Souls III: The Fire Fades Edition

Strong performance of Kirby and Pawafuru increased sales of GW 2016 despite less games, the problem was that the post GW drop was the worst seen yet, as some might remember we saw some of the worst weeks ever around there.

More and bigger games as well as the new console should improve sales this year.

Ōkami

Unless Famitsu is late like in September this week's issue should have December's estimates and we should be getting them tomorrow.

Prepare for one of two things, if Famitsu's estimations for FFXV are in line with what the crazed fans want (100k-200k) then Famitsu's estimations will be the irrefutable truth, else they'll be forever dismissed.

Oregano

On this note, I looked at Shift's website, and they're hiring for Unity experience. Looking at that trailer again, it's plausibly a Unity 5 game, which would be able to run on Vita (though uh, with Unity Vita performance).

Cool, judging by Digimon we'll get to see what God Eater DS would have looked like.

No way is God Eater not having some kind of handheld SKU.

We should see soon. I don't think it's implausible for them to drop Vita and if they do I'll think they will go PS4 only(in Japan anyway).

Datschge

@Nirolak
Wanted to state that relying on outsourcing would make your theory less feasible as that's a cost that won't remain the same with increased productivity. But having just looked at the staff rolls from CS1 and 2 the latter does have reduced outsourcing significantly compared to the former, so maybe you are onto something? Guess we'll see once CS3 is out.

saichi

Yes I expect the console to sell less than the latest launches did.
Maybe it will sell more than 250k, but let's face it: between a 308k and a 250k, we could easily end in the middle with 270k and would still show some issue for the product, imho (not moving goalposts, Orgen :) I still stand with my prediction of 250k)

this makes no sense. So if it sells more than 300K (or even 350K) but collapse in 2nd week, it would mean it has no issues?

Here's how I see it. It's like a company selling shirts and pants. For a period of time their pants weren't selling because the competition was better. But their shirts were really successful. Their shirts continue to be really successful and they're still selling new shirts in the current branding line. They have decided to discontinue their pants brand. Instead their next brand line is a set of shirts and pants. It's more expensive than just their shirts, and it isn't immediately replacing the shirt brand, but depending on how fashionable the two piece sets are in the new brand, it could still take off better than their failed pants brand. It being more expensive than their casual shirts doesn't mean jack shit.

Golden

Celine

I'm not so sure that PR words (that the vast majority of the mass market will never hear) is more prominent than actual

- Pricing (Switch price isnt' the price of a handheld device. at least not the price of a successfull one. the 3DS struggled to sell at 25000Yen, for example)
- Software (I'm not sure that Zelda BotW could be seen as a flagship icon of the classic portable gaming in Japan. Like, at all)
You are the one that said that Nintendo was promoting the Switch as a home console which is wrong when you consider that those "PR words" are actually in the Switch official site, just below Switch icon, launch date, price and preorder button.

Also those "PR words" goes hand in hand with the most viewed piece of media about Switch which exists at the moment (25M+ views and counting):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

Mpl90

Ōkami;229001290 said:
Unless Famitsu is late like in September this week's issue should have December's estimates and we should be getting them tomorrow.

Prepare for one of two things, if Famitsu's estimations for FFXV are in line with what the crazed fans want (100k-200k) then Famitsu's estimations will be the irrefutable truth, else they'll be forever dismissed.

Hokanko has posted their classic Famitsu summary and...there's no trace of monthly software da-no, wait, it's there, my mistake :p

http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/50510983.html

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
this makes no sense. So if it sells more than 300K (or even 350K) but collapse in 2nd week, it would mean it has no issues?

Golden

what?
Who said that?
I simply think that it will show issues also at launxhu

You are the one that said that Nintendo was promoting the Switch as a home console which is wrong when you consider that those "PR words" are actually in the Switch official site, just below Switch icon, launch date, price and preorder button.

Also those "PR words" goes hand in hand with the most viewed piece of media about Switch which exists at the moment (25M+ views and counting):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5uik5fgIaI

PR words are "home on the go" also in japan
they can say "play whenever you want " but it is "play home console whenever you go", ad web can see by their price positioning and software positioning, but also by their 3ds ongoing supoort
fact is that many people suggest it is a wiiu only succeszor so far and that it will be ... switched as 3ds successor only from 2018 onward, Buti am the only one criticized because I foresee issues deriving by that positioning
Attacked even negating that common perception of it being pushed as a wiiu successor only so far

Fisico

Hokanko has posted their classic Famitsu summary and...there's no trace of monthly software da-no, wait, it's there, my mistake :p

http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/50510983.html

So if Google translate doesn't mess up digital is >10%
Now the question is whether it's 10% of the total sales combined, or 10% retail = digital, it doesn't make a big difference but it's worth mentionning

So anyway it fits with what I analyzed weeks ago, it's nice because it proves that digital sales are predictable now.

Oh and for hard number, retail this is where FFXV was standing the 25th December

07./06. [PS4] Final Fantasy XV # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.11.29} (¥8.800) - 39.438 / 854.041

>10% of that is ~90k, >10% total sales would make ~95k

EDIT : So it's more or less officially a million seller with digital ?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Yes I expect the console to sell less than the latest launches did.
Maybe it will sell more than 250k, but let's face it: between a 308k and a 250k, we could easily end in the middle with 270k and would still show some issue for the product, imho (not moving goalposts, Orgen :) I still stand with my prediction of 250k)
You originally said it would at BEST sell 250K on launch week. You were implying it would sell a lot less than the normal console launch.

Expecting it to sell less than every other console did on launch week is one thing. Saying it somehow has no chance of selling around 300K launch week like all the other consoles that had terrible sales AFTER the first week (Vita, PS4, and Wii U) means people will ask you why, since it's a bit of a fringe opinion. You're allowed to have this opinion, but I think it mostly stems from you being very pessimistic about Switch sales in general.

Mpl90 said:
1/22? - Preorders
[3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 491
[PS4] Resident Evil 7: biohazard - 178
[NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 111
[PS4] Super Robot Wars V - 68
[PSV] Super Robot Wars V - 55
[PS4] Nier: Automata - 53
[PS4] Gran Turimo Sport - 51
[NSW] 1 2 Switch - 41
[3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 - Professional - 39
[PS4] Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 Remix - 18
[NSW] Mario Kart 8: Deluxe - 15
[PS4] NiOh - 14

1/24 - Preorders (with difference in preorders since Mpl90's post 2 days back).
[3DS] Monster Hunter XX - 493 (+2)
[PS4] Resident Evil 7 - 180 (+2)
[NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 123 (+12)

[PS4] Nier: Automata - 53 pt (+0)
[PS4] Gran Turismo SPORT Limited Edition - 51 (+0)
[PS4] Super Robot Taisen V - 68 (+0)
[PS4] Yonmegami Online: Cyber Dimension Neptune - 58 pt
[PSV] Super Robot Taisen V - 55
[NSW] 1-2-Switch - 47 (+6)
[3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 Professional - 40 (+1)

[PS4] Ao No Kanata no four Rhythm HD Edition 39 pt
[PS4] Kingdom Hearts - HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix - 18 pt
[PS4] &#12424;&#12427;&#12398;&#12394;&#12356;&#12367;&#12395;2 ~&#26032;&#26376;&#12398;&#33457;&#23233;~ &#12503;&#12524;&#12511;&#12450;&#12512;&#12508;&#12483;&#12463;&#12473; (&#21021;&#22238;&#23553;&#20837;&#29305;&#20856;(&#12466;&#12540;&#12512;&#20869;&#12391;&#20351;&#12360;&#12427;&#12480;&#12454;&#12531;&#12525;&#12540;&#12489;&#12471;&#12522;&#12450;&#12523;) &#21516;&#26801;) - 17
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 16 (+1)
[PS4] Nioh - 14 pt

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I wonder what will be higher, the peak concurrent viewers of Resident Evil 7 on Twitch, or the game's week one Japanese sales.

KtSlime

I wonder what will be higher, the peak concurrent viewers of Resident Evil 7 on Twitch, or the game's week one Japanese sales.

Peak concurrent viewers I am sure. If I asked my friends if they know about Bio Hazard, they will says "sure, it is that Milla Jovovich action film"

Mpl90

Breath of the Wild is now at 131 with rumour of someone in the Nakajou branch tempted in placing a pre-order.

Breath of the Wild and 1 2 Switch keep on doing a lot better than I thought. I just hope third party games will appear soon :p

Top Bottom