• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension Has A Secret Code, But What Does It Mean?

So they are gonna continue the story after god of war 3 it seems. I'm excited. As long as the way they continue the story makes sense.

Drencrom

We have an update on this one.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/god-of-war-ascension/Cistern_Painting_Code_(QUJIKPHIUEEEKMJQUJ)

You can make the image disappear and it will show an image of the earth with the following text....

"When the Earth stops, the journey begins... "

GoW-0943.jpg

Nice, probably a continuation of GoW3

Since Mithras was a sun god and there is a gaint sun illuminating the Earth, apparently changing it, bringing it back from the dead in that image/painting on the wall, I'd say GAF completely figured this out.

Excellent work.

Just want to buzz in because it just comes to me that the Greek universe wouldn't look like the Earth we know. The Earth was "flat" with Atlas below it, Hades below him and Tartarus below that. While we don't know exactly what appears in the atmosphere above Olympus, from my understanding the Greeks saw the Earth or whatever encapsulated by a crystal sphere with the "firmament" at the edge of it.

Here's a somewhat crude representation of the "Greek universe"

5i4nwJy.jpg

Yeah, I'm nitpicking and I know God of War does not exactly follow Greek mythology but we do see similar in the cosmology in the games regardless.

So, maybe after Kratos does away with the Greek pantheon, the universe reshapes itself. Or, maybe this is just a teaser for a new IP. Kind of reminds me of that Halo ODST "Destiny" poster.

Just want to buzz in because it just comes to me that the Greek universe wouldn't look like the Earth we know. The Earth was "flat" with Atlas below it, Hades below him and Tartarus below that. While we don't know exactly what appears in the atmosphere above Olympus, from my understanding the Greeks saw the Earth or whatever encapsulated by a crystal sphere with the "firmament" at the edge of it.

Here's a somewhat crude representation of the "Greek universe"

5i4nwJy.jpg

Yeah, I'm nitpicking and I know God of War does not exactly follow Greek mythology but we do see similar in the cosmology in the games regardless.

So, maybe after Kratos does away with the Greek pantheon, the universe reshapes itself. Or, maybe this is just a teaser for a new IP. Kind of reminds me of that Halo ODST "Destiny" poster.

Actually they do follow the flat representation of earth. I think it's a bigger hint than we think. It's not just a sequel, but a change in mythology. I don't think there is "Earth" in Greek mythology besides Gaia.

DestinRL

Actually they do follow the flat representation of earth. I think it's a bigger hint than we think. It's not just a sequel, but a change in mythology. I don't think there is "Earth" in Greek mythology besides Gaia.

At the end of God of War 3 Gaia is stabbed and falls/dies. Maybe this is when the Journey will begin. After Kratos stabs himself with Zeus' sword.

When the Earth stops, the journey begins...

Terra, the Goddess of Earth, of Roman mythology comes to mind. The focus on Earth as a spherical object with the Sun present could hint towards something far greater in scope. Roman pantheon would include the deities of Mars, Jupiter, Venus, Mercury, Neptune, Sol and others. We've seen God of War interpret Greek mythology in a unique way, so it would be interesting to see Roman mythology interpreted in the way that Sony did for the mythos of the Greek. Roman and Greek mythology share a lot of similarities thanks to the Romans taking inspiration from Greek mythology (and God of War had some Roman aspects during the series), so it could be written into the lore of God of War.

It seems like the next step. Jupiter would take the place of Zeus, etc. Might be too similar in some instances, but it seems like a natural transition after much of the Greek pantheon has been destroyed.

However, it could just be unique way to foreshadow the end of God of War 3 in the eyes of Kratos or something and we are all looking to far into it.

Shtof

So isn't the new message just another cryptic hint? Anyone with the game recognizing anything about Earth stopping?

there was a hint in the game regarding ancient egypt as I think one note or message I found talked about some guy coming from the land of Pharaohs.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The green scan lines on the image suggest to me that this is about a new sci-fi IP.

Get ready for Sony Santa Monica's completely unique vision of the futuristic FPS! Bold space marines suit up to combat space aliens who are also religious!

Corona: Wargods Evolved

Coming 2015, only on PS4.

Get ready for Sony Santa Monica's completely unique vision of the futuristic FPS! Bold space marines suit up to combat space aliens who are also religious!

Corona: Wargods Evolved

Coming 2015, only on PS4.

I guess this would make sense after Sony cloned Forza, yeah.

for real, though, please don't be another goddamn shooter. i'm not going to pretend that WWII FPS, modern-military-creepy-fascism FPS, and sci-fi FPS are three different genres in any meaningful sense.

Detective gaf is best gaf!

My dream scenario would be

a god of war game on the ps4 set in a different mythology with a new protagonist but

here's the deal you get to face kratos as well. It would be hard linking everything after the events of god of war 3 but that would be seriously be epic.

Those who want a new story and new gameplay would get their fix

Those who want to see kratos too would get their fix

win win

Maaseru

Banned
Man this game just crashed my PS3 really bad. HAs anyone experienced this? I hope it didn't really damage anything....

I'm loving it, but some of the QTE are really trial an error. I didn't have this much trouble with them in past games, but they are coming up really random through battles, sometimes, and it's really messing up my play. The PS3 crashed at the continue screen if that means anything.

Aceun

There are a couple of directions they can go with this:

1. The Mithraic Mysteries

Set in Persia, this can be a new take on the God of War series from the perspective of the Roman Empire. Kratos could be reborn into this cult of intrigue of mysticism. The iconography of the "sun, bull, lion, bird" mimics entities like the Roman god Sol, lion head figure Arimanius, the slaughtering of the bull and the birth of Mithras through a rock can symbolize both the end of the former earth and the beginning of the new one. It would make for a very dark and mystic take on the series which is less about the bravado of the greek gods, and more about the macabre of an eerie Roman "religion."

There is also connection between both Mithra and Aletheia, since they both represent forms of truth.

2. The Age of Heroes

We have seen the the world of man crumble over the course of the God of War series with the very early parts giving us glimpses of the Golden Age, but mostly taking place during the Silver Age (with Kratos representing many of man's faults). Man further degenerates by the Bronze Age where they essentially snuff out the sun. However it is in the new age that hope is restored, something that is foreshadowed at the end of GOW III. We see the rise of demigods and tales of heroism like the Trojan War.

I wouldn't be surprised if the GOW:Ascension multiplayer somehow connected to a broader world where new heroes rise to recreate the world. It would be the birth of not one new god, but many.

3. Aletheia and The Spirits of Darkness

If they wanted to retcon the series (which they absolutely shouldn't), they could have Aletheia as the cornerstone of illumination. She would take Kratos through a journey unveiling the true events he went through and how all along he was deceived by Dolos (goddess of trickery), Apate (goddess of deception), and Pseudologoi (goddess of lies). Zeus would be revealed as the mastermind behind it all, but Kratos learns the truth about Zeus' power and kills him once and for all through one simple trick, no longer believing in him.

4. The End of Chaos Through Maat

It would be interesting to see a new MC set during Ancient egypt. With the sun god, sphinx, and plenty of allusions to other mythological creatures this could be easily be the most exciting direction they go in.

In addition to the creatures, there are plenty of gods for a Kratos progeny to seek revenge on like Ra, Osiris, Horus, and Set. Maat is the Egyptian counterpart for Aletheia (and in some ways Athena). She could be the one to set in motion this new world order spawned from the ultimate chaos.

Those are my crazy ideas from what little info we have

Sid

So the prophecy was explained in the game as
Ares taking down Olympus with the help of the 'marked one' AKA Kratos but confused by Ares with his son Orkos

I think the second image means that
when the lantern of Apollo lights up, the Earth stops and Kratos' journey to Pandora's temple begins

Top Bottom