• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

Gui_PT

I think he was banned because of the Halo 4 box art thread, but I could be totally wrong since I can't look up his post history at the monent (on my iPod). So I say my stupid brother monsterfracas owes him a heartfelt apology for making that thread.

He hasn't posted outside of Halo threads for quite a while

TheOddOne

I think he was banned because of the Halo 4 box art thread, but I could be totally wrong since I can't look up his post history at the monent (on my iPod). So I say my stupid brother monsterfracas owes him a heartfelt apology for making that thread.
Well I will take part blame too, the thread was my suggestion. However he did redeemed himself in that thread and apologized for his comments.

It doesn't matter which game: Halo, Mass Effect, whatever.

I always suck with a sniper rifle.

Im the complete opposite im usually the sniper in the team, its definitely my go to weapon.

It would be nice if we could have custom games in reach using a the loadout option to simulate classes, i suppose you could do it with reach actually.

Be nice if they explored something like this for a Matchmaking gametype.

I'm ok with a sniper, it depends on the game I guess. I'm no good with Halo's though.

But I've always preferred playing as someone in the front line. Assault is the only class I use in battlefield 3 for example.

Fuchsdh

Im the complete opposite im usually the sniper in the team, its definitely my go to weapon.

It would be nice if we could have custom games in reach using a the loadout option to simulate classes, i suppose you could do it with reach actually.

Be nice if they explored something like this for a Matchmaking gametype.

I was kind of originally excited for Reach since I though this was the route they were going with loadouts--it would be more class-based for certain gametypes. Ultimately I'm glad they didn't, since a lot of the balancing would probably have to be on the player side (faster, slower, more armor if you have less powerful weaponry, etc.)

Along that lines:
Infantry-game.jpg

Anyone ever play Infantry on SOE? It was a great way to do drop-in/drop-out and had several classes with customized loadouts. If Halo ever did something akin to an arena (>16p) shooter or MMO, I would want it to be similar to this game.

IIRC, it also had a superior version of Stockpile years before Reach :)

Rtas

Nah they won't put a permanent price on them now, not that Halo 4 is approaching, if you're lucky like me, you managed to get the Noble and Defiant pack's in an XBL sale for a good deal less than their normal price, as for anniversary, I don't see why people don't just buy the game and get the maps with it, cracking good remake and a must for any Halo fan

FyreWulff

Nah they won't put a permanent price on them now, not that Halo 4 is approaching, if you're lucky like me, you managed to get the Noble and Defiant pack's in an XBL sale for a good deal less than their normal price, as for anniversary, I don't see why people don't just buy the game and get the maps with it, cracking good remake and a must for any Halo fan

Yeah, it'd make too much sense to make them low-priced enough that it'd actually be feasible to start requiring DLC on some lists. When they've accidentally put DLC requirements on playlists in an update before, the list lost 70% of it's population in half an hour. I watched Big Team Battle drop from 5,000 to 1,000 in real time

Rtas

Yeah, it'd make too much sense to make them low-priced enough that it'd actually be feasible to start requiring DLC on some lists. When they've accidentally put DLC requirements on playlists in an update before, the list lost 70% of it's population in half an hour. I watched Big Team Battle drop from 5,000 to 1,000 in real time

Its plenty feasible to require DLC on some lists, COD does it also, as do quite a lot of online shooters. Don't be cheap, get the DLC, its gone down as much as it ever will. Most of the COD BLOPS DLC packs are still massively overpriced, 1200 ms points for a couple of maps that don't come up often unless you actually go into the DLC specific playlists? Please, Halo fans are getting a bargain with the DLC

Woorloog

Banned
It doesn't matter which game: Halo, Mass Effect, whatever.

I always suck with a sniper rifle.

So, should you play some Command&Conquer which has a sniper unit, you'd manage to get that unit killed for no reason if you controlled it?

I miss 3 out of 4 shots in Halo with the sniper (in multiplayer, vs AI i do a lot better) and that last shot is rarely a kill shot, most it just strips shields off the enemy. Alternatively i miss two shots, hit a friendly once and an enemy once.
Regardless of this, i think sniper is among my top 5 weapons, definetly among top 10. I'll check after hitting post... EDIT yeah, sniper is my 4th used weapon.

FyreWulff

Its plenty feasible to require DLC on some lists

Nope. I can't share specifics, but the CCs have asked for DLC reqs on a certain list. We were told that it would not be viable.

COD does it also, as do quite a lot of online shooters. Don't be cheap, get the DLC, its gone down as much as it ever will. Most of the COD BLOPS DLC packs are still massively overpriced, 1200 ms points for a couple of maps that don't come up often unless you actually go into the DLC specific playlists? Please, Halo fans are getting a bargain with the DLC

CoD's DLC setup is different, and no, the only "bargain" right now is the Anniversary Map Pack, since it's technically lower than two separate packs with the same amount of maps. The last time the Halo community got a "bargain" was the Mythic Disk. Since then, Microsoft has sold Mythic 2, both Halo Wars DLC (a whole 3 gametypes for 10$, and 4 maps for 10$), and all of Reach's DLC for FULL PRICE more than a year after they came out.

People buying the game new for 26$ and get on and see 35$ of DLC? Yeah, I wouldn't blame them for passing on it too.

Heckfu is gone? Why?!

His star burned brightly

FyreWulff

I don't know what he could've done. He was easily one of the least abrasive HaloGAFfers. Surely he'll be back soon

I stopped trying to decipher GAF bans a long time ago. Heck, I'd point one somebody getting away with shit that's way over the line than anything Heckfu said, but I'd get banned for doing that.

So, should you play some Command&Conquer which has a sniper unit, you'd manage to get that unit killed for no reason if you controlled it?.

Cncren-cover.jpg

DOES NOT HOLD UP.

Re-watched it a few years ago and felt childhood me smother himself with a pillow--leaving a void filled only by Michael Bay movies. An exploding void.
Definitely does not hold up. Just watching that clip was enough for me. I remember enjoying it as a kid, and have fortunately not seen it since then. It's why I won't watch the original series ever again; I want to keep those good memories in tact.

poor Heckfu.

FyreWulff

Ah, well, forgot that one existed as well.
Which reminds me, i need to play it again... where's my TFD disc...

At one point, Reach's Invasion had an economy setup (where you could get resources and buy stuff like weapons and vehicles). If that had remained in we would have almost had Renegade minus the building destruction :eek:

BOINK

JuanGGZ

Banned
Noble and Defiant should be free by now or at least, very cheap. Halo 2 with all three map packs being free was glorious.

It'd go some way to combating Forge World, too.

/dream

Don't be a fool, even Halo 3 Maps packs are not free.

FyreWulff

Don't be a fool, even Halo 3 Maps packs are not free.

Yeah, but they're also more reasonably priced, except for the last one

Heroic - Free, came out December 2007
Legendary - 160msp, came out April 2008
Cold Storage - free, came out july 2008
Mythic 1 - 400msp, came out april 2009
Mythic 2 - 800msp, came out feburary 2010

versus Wars:

Strategic Options (3 gametypes) - 800msp, came out May 2009
Historical Battles Map Pack - 800msp, came out July 2009

versus Reach:

Noble Map Pack - 800msp, came out November 2010
Defiant Map Pack - 800msp, came out March 2011
Anniversary Map Pack - 1200msp, came out November 2011

Now I'll give Anni still being full price, but Microsoft comes off as silly when the entire Halo 3 content package can be bought for cheaper than 2 Reach DLC packs that came out a year or more ago without even bringing the Mythic disc into it. This is what people should get ready for as MS completely takes over the franchise, and why I'm not buying any of Halo 4's DLC unless it goes on sale, because MS would rather hold out for a couple more dollars than actually ensure the playerbase is well treated with enough DLC adoption so the DLC purchasers can actually play their DLC.

Fuck me, that's even worse.

If it's got achievements tied to it, it can't be free. MS policy

FyreWulff

There are free games on Windows Phone that have achievements. I don't know if it's different rules on phone or whether the rules have been changed across all platforms?

Windows Phone is it's own thang, and the rule mostly applies to addons (see: Doritos Xbox games, Aegis Wing being free and having achievements)

There have been extremely rare exceptions to the rule.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Unfortunately I'll be gone the next 2 days for a funeral of a family member, so not much HaloGaf, but I am charging my Vita, 3DS, and iPad for the trip. Driving 11 hours tomorrow, then 11 hours back Thursday.

Yeah, but they're also more reasonably priced, except for the last one

Heroic - Free, came out December 2007
Legendary - 160msp, came out April 2008
Cold Storage - free, came out july 2008
Mythic 1 - 400msp, came out april 2009
Mythic 2 - 800msp, came out feburary 2010

versus Wars:

Strategic Options (3 gametypes) - 800msp, came out May 2009
Historical Battles Map Pack - 800msp, came out July 2009

versus Reach:

Noble Map Pack - 800msp, came out November 2010
Defiant Map Pack - 800msp, came out March 2011
Anniversary Map Pack - 1200msp, came out November 2011

Now I'll give Anni still being full price, but Microsoft comes off as silly when the entire Halo 3 content package can be bought for cheaper than 2 Reach DLC packs that came out a year or more ago without even bringing the Mythic disc into it. This is what people should get ready for as MS completely takes over the franchise, and why I'm not buying any of Halo 4's DLC unless it goes on sale, because MS would rather hold out for a couple more dollars than actually ensure the playerbase is well treated with enough DLC adoption so the DLC purchasers can actually play their DLC.

If it's got achievements tied to it, it can't be free. MS policy
Halo3 wasn't trying to salvage its fan base either, whereas Reach could definitely use a boost. Charging more now seems like a bad marketing decision.

FyreWulff

Halo3 wasn't trying to salvage its fan base either, whereas Reach could definitely use a boost. Charging more now seems like a bad marketing decision.

I think the Mythic Disc was the best compromise between providing the playerbase healthy content support while MS still got their money. Halo 2's was the best for the players, and Reach's policy has been best for Microsoft. It'd be nice if we could at least get back to that middle ground.

Just annoying how Halo 3 got the benefit (however delayed) of the majority of the userbase playing via DLC a couple months Mythic came out, while Reach ended up split up and portioned out. Mythic disc was also great for LAN. The Anni disc is useless in a LAN environment.

Top Bottom