• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shoot the Core! - Gaf Shoot ‘em Up (aka Shooter/SHMUP) Reference Thread

Anso

dak1dsk1 said:
You are missing all the euro-releases.

Mostly because nobody cares :)

I compiled all PAL PS2 shmups that support 60Hz in a post that's linked from the second post. At least it's something. To be fair, any shmups released in Europe before DC/PS2 will have ONLY 50Hz and thus aren't worth bothering with. You STILL can't be sure shmups released here support 60Hz. If I have the time I can probably hunt down info on most shmups this generation available as 60Hz PAL releases but we'll see.

j^aws

Anso said:
[...]
To be fair, any shmups released in Europe before DC/PS2 will have ONLY 50Hz and thus aren't worth bothering with.[...]

Depends if the Schmuhps in question can run in 60Hz through hardware modifications. For example, I have a PAL version of Tempest 2000, running on a PAL Jaguar at 60Hz...

Anso

j^aws said:
Depends if the Schmuhps in question can run in 60Hz through hardware modifications. For example, I have a PAL version of Tempest 2000, running on a PAL Jaguar at 60Hz...

If someone cares enough to modify their hardware they probably know what games they want to and can play.

j^aws

Anso said:
If someone cares enough to modify their hardware they probably know what games they want to and can play.

Yeah, sure, but they don't have to do the modifications themselves; there's an aftermarket for 50/ 60 Hz switches on popular systems. E.g. Megadrives, SNES' and Saturns can be bought with these 50/ 60Hz switches, and someone new to the scene may not know that the PAL libraries can be upgraded to 60Hz.

I'm not saying that we need a complete PAL list, but bringing up the point that the PAL libraries, for various systems, can be upgraded to 60Hz pre-DC (you were saying "only 50Hz").

Anso

j^aws said:
Yeah, sure, but they don't have to do the modifications themselves; there's an aftermarket for 50/ 60 Hz switches on popular systems. E.g. Megadrives, SNES' and Saturns can be bought with these 50/ 60Hz switches, and someone new to the scene may not know that the PAL libraries can be upgraded to 60Hz.

I'm not saying that we need a complete PAL list, but bringing up the point that the PAL libraries, for various systems, can be upgraded to 60Hz pre-DC (you were saying "only 50Hz").

Fair enough, I guess I was just talking with "the common gamer" in mind.

Is this the thread where I spew forth from within my very soul my love for Omega Five? Allllllrighty then!

Awesome, awesome game from Natsume for XBLA, published by Hudson Soft. 800 points.

Trailer HERE.
Video of Stage 1 HERE.

b84kqs.jpg

dfdso1.jpg

mtupm8.jpg

264j9k3.jpg

9jll04.jpg

2cfcepx.jpg

zj9log.jpg

og9lcm.jpg

"The original score for Omega Five was composed by long-running Natsume employee Hiroyuki Iwatsuki. Most tracks include two versions: an original theme and retro remix. The latter category of songs were meant to simulate the electronic sound effects of 16-bit videogames and are played during the Retro Mode." - Wikipedia

Omega Five was cool but it's one of the easiest shooters I've ever played. Fun game for $10 though.

Don't spoil me with all four staaaages Natsume.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Oh, here is something I just found out. Gunbird 2 is supposed to be rereleased for the PSP, on the PSN this month (World wide to boot from the looks of it)

It looks like its some enhanced remake too, but I am not seeing any screen shots ether. Hopefully this won't cost to much. And I will love PM Studios if they for some magical reason released the game as a Mini, so I can play it on my PS3. Ah, pipe dreams.

Anso

iconoclast said:
Omega Five was cool but it's one of the easiest shooters I've ever played. Fun game for $10 though.

Don't spoil me with all four staaaages Natsume.

It wasn't heard getting 200/200. However when you unlock 1-hit-one-kill mode it's basically good fun. Also Iwatsuki's soundtrack is beyond awesome. It's in my shelf and I love it. The guy's also a pretty good Tekken 6 player.

jibblypop

Banned
luminaire28 said:
Raiden II and R-Type Delta are a couple of my favorite shoot'em ups.

You have the best taste ever! :D

That is my favorite R-Type by far (not to mention my Raiden 2 love-post above!)

By the way, thanks to everyone for the advice on the bullet-hell games. I have never been anything but open-minded to them. I have Mushihimesama Futari for the 360 which is the game I am going to try to learn the ropes in. I have actually had this in my backlog for a few weeks but I have moved it to the top after the encouragement from this thread! :D

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
luminaire28 said:
Raiden II and R-Type Delta are a couple of my favorite shoot'em ups. I wish R-Type Leo would've been released in that R-Types collection at least.

Yeah, I love R-Type Leo, soundtrack is very unorthodox as far as game soundtracks go... early 90's deep house :D

fatty

A Black Falcon said:
What about games where you do follow a railed path, though, but the screen only scrolls when you move forward? I mean games like In the Hunt, Twinkle Tale (Genesis, JP only), Legend off the Valkyrie (Arcade/TG16 JP only -- the only US release of the game is in Namco Museum 5 on the PSX. It has a script and they did translate it for the collection -- the original arcade game is Japanese language only.)... those ones are often counted as shmups. That's why Picky & Rocky is often listed as a shmuplike, too... but it's also why I might do that, I'd still might have to leave out Heavenly Guardian, because of how open the levels are that time. But anyway, stuff like Twinkle Tale and and In the Hunt are so close to being shmups that they're often listed with them despite not being auto-scrolling. Legend of the Valkyrie is a little bit more different, it has some platformer in it too. Great game, but because of that I wouldn't count it I think.

On that note, Bangai-O is also not auto-scrolling; you actually freely roam around the level blowing stuff up, in fact, so it's even less railed than an In the Hunt. If it does belong on the list, that should at least be noted...

I didn’t know that In The Hunt followed a railed path anymore than a game like R-Type or Gradius. It’s been so long since I’ve played it, I’ll have to pop it in again. The only difference I really remember is that it is not forced scrolling, which to me is not a big deal especially when you pretty much have the soul of what we consider a shooter.

When I think of games that are on rails, I think of those with a 3D feel like Starfox, Sin & Punishment and Rez. But for whatever reason, when I played Pocky & Rocky I never did think of it as a shooter as defined in the thread. I’m not saying my reasoning is the correct line of thinking, I guess it was more or less a judgement call of where to draw the line.

A Black Falcon said:
Nice... and yup, you got it right in the listing.

Looking at that though, why are Metal Slugs 1 and 2 listed as Neo-Geo games, while nothing else is? That is, if you're listing Neogeo games, there are a lot more you'd need to list, starting with the system's shmups... but you're not listing shmups for anything before the PS1 and Saturn. So why are there older games listed in the run & gun section, if there aren't in the main list (apart from titles in collections)?

I'm not saying remove them, they are in the VC, but maybe remove the "NEOGEO" word listing unless you're prepared to start listing 16-bit system shmups too, based on shmups.com's lists? :)

... Oh right, and if the PSX and Saturn are there, what about the other systems of that generation... not counting lightgun games or rail shooters and such there aren't too many on the rest of the systems, but for completion's sake I'll list them here at least...

Nintendo 64
--
US
--
Namco Museum 64 - Galaga, Galaxian
Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth
Robotron 64 (arena shooter)

--
Japan
--
Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaioh (with caveat I noted above)
Dezaemon 3D (shmup creator with a few built-in games)

Thanks to FMV games though there were a bunch of rail shooters early in that generation and late in the previous one... most aren't too much to speak about, though, average games at best -- Star Wars: Rebel Assault (partially), Star Wars: Rebel Assault II (partially), Novastorm, Microcosm, etc.

... On that note, there's also Robotron X on the PSX, which is pretty much Robotron 64, but worse.

As for the way that Neo Geo was shown for the Metal Slug games, they are listed as an accessible Virtual Console title (like the other shooters in the main list), I still wanted to give credit to the console that the VC was representing.

But since these are only in the last list of standout titles, I didn’t feel having a complete list in our main section of each system shown was needed. It’s more of a “hey, if you’re interested in this type of game you should really check out this game” whereas the others are more of a complete list for reference. (hmm, maybe I should move the last list to the beginning of the third post to separate it a bit?)

Now that’s not to say that I wouldn’t like to eventually add some of the older systems in there at some point…but I’m still debating it. I’m pretty sure I’m running close to the text limit for the post, it would require quite a bit of work and I’m also not sure there is much demand for it. I think I’ll probably get around to it, just not sure when. At least in our resource links there are quite a few posts that go into detail on some of these older games.

Along with the N64 and Gamecube titles, there have been some other systems mentioned (DS, GBA, PSP) as well. I’ll try to incorporate them this weekend.

Dr.Kirby said:
The PAL version Gunbird Special Edition for the PS2 can be had pretty cheaply on ebay for an import. I just bought a copy of $9.15. Gigawing can also be had for about $30, but I am going to hold out and see if I can get it for less.

Yeah, I was looking at trying to pick up Gigawing and its sequel (along with Bangai-o) off of ebay but after looking at some reviews it doesn’t look like Gigawing reviewed too favorably. Some of that can be taken as shooters get a bad rap but I’m still somewhat skeptical.

DCharlie said:
are we open to doing PC E, duo, Snes, MD in this thread?

If you guys post them, I will copy them over. I just don’t have the time right now to generate the lists, even if it mostly copying it from shmups.com. Formatting it also delays it a bit.

fatty said:
I didn’t know that In The Hunt followed a railed path anymore than a game like R-Type or Gradius. It’s been so long since I’ve played it, I’ll have to pop it in again. The only difference I really remember is that it is not forced scrolling, which to me is not a big deal especially when you pretty much have the soul of what we consider a shooter.

When I think of games that are on rails, I think of those with a 3D feel like Starfox, Sin & Punishment and Rez. But for whatever reason, when I played Pocky & Rocky I never did think of it as a shooter as defined in the thread. I’m not saying my reasoning is the correct line of thinking, I guess it was more or less a judgement call of where to draw the line.

No, you're right, In the Hunt is similar to R-Type or Gradius, except it has no forced scrolling. My point was that forced scrolling is usually considered a key requirement for a game to be a shmup, so In the Hunt isn't one by that standard. It's usually listed as one anyway because of how similar it otherwise is, but because it's not auto-scrolling, I was saying that it'd make sense to list it together with other non-auto-scrolling "shmups" like Twinkle Tale...

Twinkle Tale (Genesis): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK9PnlKr1_E (no, you can't backtrack.)

As for Pocky & Rocky, you didn't think of that as a shmup, really? Ever play the original arcade game, Kiki Kaikai (it's in Taito Legends 2, for instance)? I definitely think that they feel shmuplike, most of what you're doing is similar to shmup stuff except without the autoscrolling... Heavenly Guardian is a bit different because of how it's got big open levels you can roam around in instead of you always following a perhaps branching railed path, but otherwise the gameplay is similar. I at least think that the games are in a similar category to the other ones I've mentioned, but sure, it is a fuzzy area so there's plenty of room for debate here.

As for the way that Neo Geo was shown for the Metal Slug games, they are listed as an accessible Virtual Console title (like the other shooters in the main list), I still wanted to give credit to the console that the VC was representing.

But since these are only in the last list of standout titles, I didn’t feel having a complete list in our main section of each system shown was needed. It’s more of a “hey, if you’re interested in this type of game you should really check out this game” whereas the others are more of a complete list for reference. (hmm, maybe I should move the last list to the beginning of the third post to separate it a bit?)

I guess so, I just thought it looked a little odd. But if 16-bit systems eventually get listed too it won't anymore.

I still think that grouping or labelling the other subgenres (arena shooters, etc) is important, though.

Now that’s not to say that I wouldn’t like to eventually add some of the older systems in there at some point…but I’m still debating it. I’m pretty sure I’m running close to the text limit for the post, it would require quite a bit of work and I’m also not sure there is much demand for it. I think I’ll probably get around to it, just not sure when. At least in our resource links there are quite a few posts that go into detail on some of these older games.

Along with the N64 and Gamecube titles, there have been some other systems mentioned (DS, GBA, PSP) as well. I’ll try to incorporate them this weekend.

Yeah, listing those systems at least is a good idea.

As for older systems, considering the good resources out there I'm just not sure if it's worth the time when people could just go to shmups.com... maybe I'll do some of that eventually, maybe not. Not sure.

Yeah, I was looking at trying to pick up Gigawing and its sequel (along with Bangai-o) off of ebay but after looking at some reviews it doesn’t look like Gigawing reviewed too favorably. Some of that can be taken as shooters get a bad rap but I’m still somewhat skeptical.

Bangai-Oh is a must have of course, and Gunbird 2 is fun...

As for Giga Wing 2, though, it is a great game, definitely worth getting. The first game is a CPS2 game, the second Naomi -- so the first is 2d, the second 3d. Gameplay is bullet-hell, except like Mars Matrix (which is from the same studio) you have a bullet-absorption move. In the first game you could score trillions of points. They're very short games, but so fun...

Giga Wing 2 is the one I've mostly played, and it's crazy. First, it's short, very short -- like fifteen minutes at most of actual gameplay. There are anime style story cutscenes between every level, and they'll go differently depending on which character(s) are present. Unfortunately the US version removed all of the voice acting, so it's silent instead of fully voice acted as it was in Japan, but at least it was translated instead of being cut or something. The story's a decent anime-style plot. There are two endings, and you choose which you want at the end. Point totals were increased, so this time your scores can go up into the quintillions... yes, seriously. :) The game has four player simultaneous play, for perhaps the first time ever in a shmup. It's easy to finish thanks to the infinite at-point continues, but repeat play is encouraged because there's a lot of stuff to unlock. The music is a fantastic bombastic cinematic orchestral score that I think fits really well (the first game had a completely different musical style, but I like this more). The graphics are quite good and the game has some good art design. Somehow it succeeds at feeling like a great epic adventure every time. At the end you get a great end credits sequence that feels like it would fit the end of a much longer movie or something. Even if it only takes 20 minutes to reach, somehow it fits.

Overall, it's just great fun. :)

Drkirby said:
Oh, here is something I just found out. Gunbird 2 is supposed to be rereleased for the PSP, on the PSN this month (World wide to boot from the looks of it)

It looks like its some enhanced remake too, but I am not seeing any screen shots ether. Hopefully this won't cost to much. And I will love PM Studios if they for some magical reason released the game as a Mini, so I can play it on my PS3. Ah, pipe dreams.

See this thread:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29311

Hopefully that interview about them ditching the horrible new artwork is accurate...

j^aws

@fatty: I wouldn't get too concerned about trying to group all genres/ sub-genres; unless you're trying to create the Internets definitive guide or something... People can always try to search Youtube if they don't know what it is, or ask here...

Also, the Gigawings are worth trying out, including Mars Matrix (you can always try before you buy *cough*).

Anso

j^aws said:
@fatty: I wouldn't get too concerned about trying to group all genres/ sub-genres; unless you're trying to create the Internets definitive guide or something... People can always try to search Youtube if they don't know what it is, or ask here...

Also, the Gigawings are worth trying out, including Mars Matrix (you can always try before you buy *cough*).

AMAZING game. You're telling me it's released for home consoles?

Anso said:

Dreamcast. Even had a US release. :) (Giga Wing, Giga Wing 2, Bangai-Oh!, Mars Matrix, and Gunbird 2 were the US Dreamcast shmup releases.)

j^aws

Anso said:

NTSC-J and NTSC-U, AFAIK. You've only played the Arcade version? I've only got the NTSC-U version, it's got Elite Mode and achievement-like unlockables, with additional controller mapping options (you can remap the single button system).

One of my favourite games... Makes awesome use of the 4:3 aspect ratio with the Mosquito system (absorbing bullets and 'flicking' them back, collecting cubes)...

Anso

j^aws said:
NTSC-J and NTSC-U, AFAIK. You've only played the Arcade version? I've only got the NTSC-U version, it's got Elite Mode and achievement-like unlockables, with additional controller mapping options (you can remap the single button system).

One of my favourite games... Makes awesome use of the 4:3 aspect ratio with the Mosquito system (absorbing bullets and 'flicking' them back, collecting cubes)...

Bawww.. I have no Dreamcast and if I had I wouldn't have seen it because I'm from PAL-land. Interesting though, will keep in mind when I get rich.

Anso said:
Bawww.. I have no Dreamcast and if I had I wouldn't have seen it because I'm from PAL-land. Interesting though, will keep in mind when I get rich.

Europe did get Bangai-O, Gunbird 2, and Giga Wing on the DC, but not Giga Wing 2 or Mars Matrix, unfortunately. The rest of the DC shmups were Japan only of course.

Oh, the arena shooter Cannon Spike did come out in all three regions.

j^aws

Anso said:

Also keep in mind that the DC and 50/60Hz switching can behave weirdly sometimes, depending on the setup.

E.g., I usually use an NTSC-U DC, with a simple 'disc-swap' trick (for 60Hz and for region-free), and using the same trick on a PAL DC, the output is 50Hz (IIRC, different 'swap-trick' discs remedy this).

fatty

Came across another good article, Doujin Shmups: An Introduction. Looking at their top ten lists, has anyone played Kamui? The website is all in Japanese so I'm not sure which link to download.

A Black Falcon said:
As for Pocky & Rocky, you didn't think of that as a shmup, really? Ever play the original arcade game, Kiki Kaikai (it's in Taito Legends 2, for instance)? I definitely think that they feel shmuplike, most of what you're doing is similar to shmup stuff except without the autoscrolling... Heavenly Guardian is a bit different because of how it's got big open levels you can roam around in instead of you always following a perhaps branching railed path, but otherwise the gameplay is similar. I at least think that the games are in a similar category to the other ones I've mentioned, but sure, it is a fuzzy area so there's plenty of room for debate here.

So I took a look at a youtube video of Pocky and Rocky to refresh my memory. I don't recall it being so fast paced, for some reason I remember it more along the lines of the overhead levels from Legend of the Mystical Ninja in the way it played, except that the perspective was more from above. Guess I was off, ha ha. Though I still think it is in that grey area, I can definitely see the arguments for it being a shooter.

Oh, and I just picked up Taito Legends 2, can't wait to play all the different games on it.

A Black Falcon said:
Bangai-Oh is a must have of course, and Gunbird 2 is fun...

As for Giga Wing 2, though, it is a great game, definitely worth getting. The first game is a CPS2 game, the second Naomi -- so the first is 2d, the second 3d. Gameplay is bullet-hell, except like Mars Matrix (which is from the same studio) you have a bullet-absorption move. In the first game you could score trillions of points. They're very short games, but so fun...

Giga Wing 2 is the one I've mostly played, and it's crazy. First, it's short, very short -- like fifteen minutes at most of actual gameplay. There are anime style story cutscenes between every level, and they'll go differently depending on which character(s) are present. Unfortunately the US version removed all of the voice acting, so it's silent instead of fully voice acted as it was in Japan, but at least it was translated instead of being cut or something. The story's a decent anime-style plot. There are two endings, and you choose which you want at the end. Point totals were increased, so this time your scores can go up into the quintillions... yes, seriously. :) The game has four player simultaneous play, for perhaps the first time ever in a shmup. It's easy to finish thanks to the infinite at-point continues, but repeat play is encouraged because there's a lot of stuff to unlock. The music is a fantastic bombastic cinematic orchestral score that I think fits really well (the first game had a completely different musical style, but I like this more). The graphics are quite good and the game has some good art design. Somehow it succeeds at feeling like a great epic adventure every time. At the end you get a great end credits sequence that feels like it would fit the end of a much longer movie or something. Even if it only takes 20 minutes to reach, somehow it fits.

Overall, it's just great fun. :)

I got a chance to try out Bangai-O and I really like it, so much that I'm going to try and pick it up. I actually have Mars Matrix and Gunbird 2, but didn't really care for Mars Matrix the little that I did play it. But since then I've gotten more of an appreciation for manic type shooters so I need to go back to it and give it another chance.

fatty said:
Came across another good article, Doujin Shmups: An Introduction. Looking at their top ten lists, has anyone played Kamui? The website is all in Japanese so I'm not sure which link to download.

It's quite simple, the demo link is the link in the center at the bottom, the one that links to KamuiTrialSetup.exe.

I imagine that the full version would be a whole lot harder to find... I've only played the demo myself, but I guess it's good.

So I took a look at a youtube video of Pocky and Rocky to refresh my memory. I don't recall it being so fast paced, for some reason I remember it more along the lines of the overhead levels from Legend of the Mystical Ninja in the way it played, except that the perspective was more from above. Guess I was off, ha ha. Though I still think it is in that grey area, I can definitely see the arguments for it being a shooter.

Yeah, they're much more shmup than Mystical Ninja... they're at least borderliners (games that are not quite standard shmups but share a lot in common with them), for sure.

Oh, and I just picked up Taito Legends 2, can't wait to play all the different games on it.

Awesome, Taito Legends 2 is one of the best classic collections ever, no question. It's got a lot of games in it, a lot of them are really good, and the emulation is mostly good. The only negatives really are that the Xbox version is Europe only and is missing four of the shmups, while the PS2 version has massive slowdown in Dungeon Magic and no four player in the beat 'em ups (Dungeon Magic, Arabian Magic, and Growl should be four player games). The Xbox version has less slowdown in those games and four player support, and four games not on PS2, so really it's best to have both versions... it's lucky that the European Xbox version is region free.

Overall though, it's a fantastic collection.

I got a chance to try out Bangai-O and I really like it, so much that I'm going to try and pick it up. I actually have Mars Matrix and Gunbird 2, but didn't really care for Mars Matrix the little that I did play it. But since then I've gotten more of an appreciation for manic type shooters so I need to go back to it and give it another chance.

Giga Wing 2 is somewhat like Mars Matrix in gameplay, but doesn't use the one-button system, which is kind of odd, so it's not exactly like it... and of course there are the impressive graphics for the time and, the soundtrack, story, 4 player, etc.

I mean, Mars Matrix is amazing too, yeah, and if you don't like bullet hell at all you won't like either Giga Wing. But still, it's worth trying at least, to see if you like it. At least with the bullet absorber function these three Takumi games don't play exactly like standard bullet-hell, that I like... generally I find bullet-hell really frustrating and often not fun. I'm really not very good at them.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Slight tangent, but two art commissions i had done turned up today and this is the best fit thread i can think to show them :

4371101687_9d07f2e18a.jpg

fatty

A Black Falcon said:
Giga Wing 2 is somewhat like Mars Matrix in gameplay, but doesn't use the one-button system, which is kind of odd, so it's not exactly like it... and of course there are the impressive graphics for the time and, the soundtrack, story, 4 player, etc.

I mean, Mars Matrix is amazing too, yeah, and if you don't like bullet hell at all you won't like either Giga Wing. But still, it's worth trying at least, to see if you like it. At least with the bullet absorber function these three Takumi games don't play exactly like standard bullet-hell, that I like... generally I find bullet-hell really frustrating and often not fun. I'm really not very good at them.

So I spent some quality time with Mars Matrix and Gunbird 2 tonight. Forget what I said about Mars Matrix, maybe it's that I'm coming at these games with a different mindset now but I found it really fun this time around. I like that there is a little strategy in knowing when to use the different functions of your weapon like the Piercing Cannon and Mosquito that repels shots.

Very challenging though, couldn't make it past the second stage's boss but it was nice seeing that I was getting better in each play-through.

Popping in Gunbird 2 and playing the first stage I was thinking that it was a breeze compared to Mars Matrix. But that all changed when I made it to stage 2. From there on it was a constant stream of bullets. I honestly can't see how it is possible for someone to beat this game without continuing.

---

After watching some videos on youtube, it looks like the key is to be very aggressive, flying at the top and targeting the enemies just as they are coming out (which requires knowing the patterns and where they are entering the screen). Even so, it is very impressive. And during the boss battles, you have no choice but to dodge the raining bullets, but at least those have more of a pattern.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Are those 5 the only Shumps on the N64? I remember playing a pretty fun one years back on the system, but I can't seem to figure out what it was. Maybe it was a PS1 game. I am fairly certain it was in 3D though, and I know for sure you piloted a ship and it was at least 2 player if thats any help. Also remember 'bright and vibrant' graphics, and it should be a NA release.

There is a slim chance that it was a PS2 game, but I want to say N64 first, PS1 second, and PS2 as a distant 3rd.

Noogy

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Is this the thread where I spew forth from within my very soul my love for Omega Five? Allllllrighty then!

Awesome, awesome game from Natsume for XBLA, published by Hudson Soft. 800 points.

"The original score for Omega Five was composed by long-running Natsume employee Hiroyuki Iwatsuki. Most tracks include two versions: an original theme and retro remix. The latter category of songs were meant to simulate the electronic sound effects of 16-bit videogames and are played during the Retro Mode." - Wikipedia
May I share your love for this game good sir? It is still one of the best current-gen shmups, and an easy purchase for any fan of the genre.

You have Bangaioh listed as both a US and Japanese release on the Dreamcast... you should remove the Japanese listing. :)

... On that note, another borderliner/sort-of-shmup would be the modern Jeff Minter games...

Tempest 2000 - Jaguar
Tempest 2000 - Saturn, PC, PSX (as Tempest X3 on PSX) - listing separately because the ports are not identical to the original game on Jaguar, and not done by Jeff Minter
Tempest 3000 - Nuon
Space Giraffe - Xbox 360 Live Arcade, PC (download only) - Tempest-like
Gridrunner Revolution - PC (download only) - shmup-ish

Drkirby said:
Are those 5 the only Shumps on the N64? I remember playing a pretty fun one years back on the system, but I can't seem to figure out what it was. Maybe it was a PS1 game. I am fairly certain it was in 3D though, and I know for sure you piloted a ship and it was at least 2 player if thats any help. Also remember 'bright and vibrant' graphics, and it should be a NA release.

There is a slim chance that it was a PS2 game, but I want to say N64 first, PS1 second, and PS2 as a distant 3rd.

What kind of game are you thinking of? Those are indeed the only shmups on the N64, but the game has various 3d freeroam flight combat games, of course -- Rogue Squadron, Battle for Naboo, Aero Fighters Assault, etc. for instance. There's also the lightgun-style shooting game Knife Edge Nose Gunner. That one has four player support too.

There were a few more under development, such as Viewpoint 64, but sadly they were never completed or released. :(

As for what game that is, that's not much detail...

So I spent some quality time with Mars Matrix and Gunbird 2 tonight. Forget what I said about Mars Matrix, maybe it's that I'm coming at these games with a different mindset now but I found it really fun this time around. I like that there is a little strategy in knowing when to use the different functions of your weapon like the Piercing Cannon and Mosquito that repels shots.

Very challenging though, couldn't make it past the second stage's boss but it was nice seeing that I was getting better in each play-through.

Popping in Gunbird 2 and playing the first stage I was thinking that it was a breeze compared to Mars Matrix. But that all changed when I made it to stage 2. From there on it was a constant stream of bullets. I honestly can't see how it is possible for someone to beat this game without continuing.
---

After watching some videos on youtube, it looks like the key is to be very aggressive, flying at the top and targeting the enemies just as they are coming out (which requires knowing the patterns and where they are entering the screen). Even so, it is very impressive. And during the boss battles, you have no choice but to dodge the raining bullets, but at least those have more of a pattern.

I have no idea, I'm nowhere near good enough at this genre to even consider trying to finish games like Gunbird 2 without continuing. I like the games, but yeah, no way could I do that, I think. Too many bullets... Psikyo games are fun, though. I like their games, whether or not I'm good at them.

Beating Gunbird 1 on the PSX in single player was pretty difficult, thanks to how in the later levels when you get game over you have to go back to the beginning of the level if you're in single player mode... in two player you can just keep going, but single player mode is punished. Strikers 1945 (II) does the same thing. I managed to eventually beat both games, but yeah, it took a lot of continues...

Also, yes, Mars Matrix is hard, that's for sure. Very cool game though, great sense of style.

As much as I like the genre, if I had to guess, I'd say that probably the only shmup I've 1cc'ed is Gradius: The Interstellar Assault... which isn't exactly that hard. I did beat Gradius III on SNES on normal using just one continue, though. Same goes for Raiden Trad on SNES. Of course, Raiden Trad only gives you one continue in single player mode... :)
Shig said:
Awesome.

I know the first is Scramble... what's the second?

I don't know... Vanguard or Super Cobra? Both came out in 1981, like Scramble. Scramble came out first that year though I think.

Also, what about Defender of course? That was 1980... it's almost a shmup, at least. Sure, you can reverse directions and it doesn't autoscroll, though, but still, it deserves recognition... truly exceptional game, better than Scramble or Vanguard for sure, though those are fine games.

fatty

OK, I've gone back through the thread and tried to include ones that I've missed in the listing. I've also started to add links to the official threads for some of the games. I noticed that Shard has created a majority of the official threads. :lol (he's good at what he does)

A Black Falcon said:
As much as I like the genre, if I had to guess, I'd say that probably the only shmup I've 1cc'ed is Gradius: The Interstellar Assault... which isn't exactly that hard. I did beat Gradius III on SNES on normal using just one continue, though. Same goes for Raiden Trad on SNES. Of course, Raiden Trad only gives you one continue in single player mode... :)

Fixed the Bangai-O listing and added Tempest.

The closest thing I've come to 1cc-ing anything like this is the original Contra on NES. But that was beating the game without the 30 man code. I think I also came close to doing the same for Life Force.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
DCharlie said:
wow, surprised that people don't recognize PHOENIX!!!

but i've got old balls i guess ! :D
Well, my first guess was Space Firebird, so I wasn't far off thematically.

fatty said:
OK, I've gone back through the thread and tried to include ones that I've missed in the listing. I've also started to add links to the official threads for some of the games. I noticed that Shard has created a majority of the official threads. :lol (he's good at what he does)

Fixed the Bangai-O listing and added Tempest.

The closest thing I've come to 1cc-ing anything like this is the original Contra on NES. But that was beating the game without the 30 man code. I think I also came close to doing the same for Life Force.

I'm awful at Contra... I have Contra (NES), Contra: Hard Corps (Genesis), and Contra III (SNES), and I don't think I've even gotten past halfway in any of the three of them... though I don't know if I've tried Contra in 30-life mode. I should see how far I'd get...

Also, from the list:
US releases:
Danny Phantom - Urban Jungle
Gradius Galaxies
Iridion II
NES Classics Star Soldier
NES Classics Xevious
Phalanx
R-Type III
Sigma Star Saga (RPG with shmup battles)

Japan releases:
Twiinbee - Famicom mini (series 2)

Missing from this list

US releases
--
Robotech: The Macross Saga
Strike Force Hydra

Japan releases
--
Darius R

Incorrectly listed

Famicom Mini: Star Soldier -- this did not have a US release on GBA. Move it to the Japan section. Also fix Twinbee's listing -- it should be Famicom Mini: Twinbee (series 2). :)

... I had written a bunch more, but it was all just more questions about what should count and what shouldn't. Overall though I think that just shmups is best, because otherwise the list would just get far too long because of how "shooting things games" are probably just about the most common type of game.

I mean, just on the GBA, here are a few examples...

Glory Days/Super Army War -- part Choplifter, part RTS, some influence from Wings of Fury too.

Super Dropzone -- Port of the classic Defender clone.
Defender -- On that note, Midway had a new Defender game on the GBA too... it's got both the classic game and an updated one with better graphics, an ending, etc. The only question is, should Defender be on the list considering that it's got the 'you can go both ways' thing? And I don't know if either of these games are that great, so I don't know that they'd deserve to be in the bottom list of notable nonshmups...

CT Special Forces series - Metal Slug clones. Three games, the third Europe-only, the first two US/EU. All three have Europe-exclusive PSX versions.

And that's not even considering freeroam-topdown shooters like Desert Strike Advance, Air Force Delta Storm, etc, or Contra: The Alien Wars EX, Gunstar Super Heroes, etc.

Bio-Hazard Battle (GEN)
GLeylancer (MD)
M.U.S.H.A. (GEN)
Super Fantasy Zone (GEN)

Blazing Lazers (TG16)
Cho Aniki (TGCD)
Detana!! TwinBee (TG16)
Final Soldier (TG16)
Galaga ’90 (TG16)
Gate of Thunder (TGCD)
Gradius II (TGCD)
Lords of Thunder (TGCD)
R-Type (TG16)
Star Parodier (TGCD)
Super Star Soldier (TG16)

If you're marking import titles by using the name for the system from other regions -- that is, like how you listed Gleylancer as (MD) (on that note, fix the capitalized L in Gleylancer) -- should you do that with the TG16/TGCD too, by listing them as PCE/PCECD?

Cho Aniki, Final Soldier, Detana!! Twinbee, Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou, and Star Parodier are all import titles.

Also, I just noticed that you're missing the VC release of Soldier Blade from that list. It's a US TG16 release and is on the US VC. (Note that despite the names, Soldier Blade is actually the third TG16 Star Soldier game; Final Soldier was the second one.)

How is Soldner X on the PS3?

I know its been out for a while now, and I didn't buy it when it came out because it was right in the middle of a ton of other releases.

j^aws

A Black Falcon said:
[...]Overall though I think that just shmups is best, because otherwise the list would just get far too long because of how "shooting things games" are probably just about the most common type of game.[...]

Not everyone has the same definition of "shmup". The thread title uses "aka", and switching terms like "shmup" and "shooter" to describe different 'sub-genres' for example, is not universal, considering the term "shoot-em-up" also exists.

If you're that worried about the list getting too big, then remove everything and only add games that people recommend in this thread or provide an external link, or something...

A Black Falcon said:
[...]
The only question is, should Defender be on the list considering that it's got the 'you can go both ways' thing?[...]

Pretend that it doesn't scroll and that you're just shooting-shit, to score points, in a game played in 2D.

Re GBA Defenders: I've never played them, I'd recommend the ones that map the Arcade controls (I don't know if these do, but the Midway compilations released last-gen do), and if they run at 60Hz (e.g. the PAL Midway compilations run at 50Hz on PS2, but the Xbox equivalent runs at 60Hz). And having said that, I'd recommend the sequel (Defender II/ Stargate) over the original.

Rafaelcsa

What's the general consensus about the Capcom shooters? I never see them being discussed that much. I've been playing Forgotten Worlds and 1941 and found them really cool, though not as good as the Konami shooters I've played.

I'm a newcomer to the genre so I've been trying to get to know the classic Konami, Hudson, Irem and Capcom shooters first. Life Force, Axelay and Soldier Blade so far have been my favorites. I've managed to beat Life Force with no continues used hehe, that's my only accomplishment so far.

Hunahan

Banned
Rafaelcsa said:
What's the general consensus about the Capcom shooters? I never see them being discussed that much. I've been playing Forgotten Worlds and 1941 and found them really cool, though not as good as the Konami shooters I've played.

I'm a newcomer to the genre so I've been trying to get to know the classic Konami, Hudson, Irem and Capcom shooters first. Life Force, Axelay and Soldier Blade so far have been my favorites. I've managed to beat Life Force with no continues used hehe, that's my only accomplishment so far.
The 19xx series is probably one of the more recognizable shmups in terms of a mass-market awareness, and certifiably one of the genre's largest successes from a historical quarter-munching perspective. But in the cult-ish, uberniche, and obsessive corners of the internet where people still actually talk about shmups in 2010, I doubt you'll find many die-hards.

Overall - as a developer, most of Capcom's in-house shooters are as forgotten as they are forgettable. The 19xx series is definitely their biggest hit, but it hasn't exactly carved out a spot amongst the elite pantheon of retroactively-placed shmup-divinity.

Forgotten Worlds will always have a place in my heart for being the second Sega Genesis game that I owned, but going back to it now reveals a pretty clunky, poorly balanced game. Throw-aways like Varth and Vulgus are pretty much just historical foot-notes at this point. Fortunately, there really isn't much in their development archives to really claim injustice for the neglect.

Of course, as a publisher, Capcom's definitely got a stake in the history of the hardcore.

Their Takumi games get a lot of chatter in the geeky dens of the genre protectors - Mars Matrix has a ridiculously faithful cult following, and GigaWing comes up a lot in referential tone.

Dimahoo gives them that 8ing/Raizing cred that seems so popular with the self-flagellating masochists of modern-era shmup loving, and ProGear even gets them linked in with the almighty Cave.

So it's all a matter of how you want to look at it, really. In short - they have their thumbs in a lot of pies, but I wouldn't exactly call them a baker.

Brashnir

Hunahan said:
The 19xx series is probably one of the more recognizable shmups in terms of a mass-market awareness, and certifiably one of the genre's largest successes from a historical quarter-munching perspective. But in the cult-ish, uberniche, and obsessive corners of the internet where people still actually talk about shmups in 2010, I doubt you'll find many die-hards.

While this is undoubtedly true, 1942 is still my all-time favorite shmup.

Then again, I'm decidedly weaksauce at shmups, and don't consider myself to be anywhere near a hardcore shmup player.

Rafaelcsa said:

Yeah, Capcom was a solid shmup game developer. Not the best perhaps, but plenty good. The 19xx games, Sidearms, Forgotten Worlds, and Legendary Wings (Arcade and NES, they are somewhat different) are definitely worth playing, particularly if you like classic 8/16 bit-style shmups. Those are some of my favorite kinds of the games, so yeah, I definitely would recommend anyone who might like older-style shooters try Capcom's shmups. :)

I got the TG16 version of Sidearms a month or two ago, pretty good game. It's a lot like Forgotten Worlds, which came after it, with the forward-and-back shooting style. On that note TGCD Forgotten Worlds is one player only and annoying controls unless you have a 3-button NEC Avenue pad, but has a spectacular soundtrack and pretty good graphics... of course the arcade versions of both, along with Legendary Wings' arcade version and more, are in the Capcom Classics Collection compilation, too, along with some other stuff. Those two collections would probably be the best way to get Capcom's classic shooters.

fatty

As for Capcom shooters, I remember U.N. Squadron coming out for the SNES and wanting to play it so bad from the screen shots. But it really did suffer quite a bit from slowdown and I was a little letdown from the game itself. But it's been a while so I might have to give it another chance (I'm glad I did that with Mars Matrix).

I always liked the 1942/1943 games back when I was a kid but overall the weapons lack variety and the stages are too repetitive for me to want to revisit when there is so much more out there that can be played without spending a lot of money.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
A Black Falcon said:
What kind of game are you thinking of? Those are indeed the only shmups on the N64, but the game has various 3d freeroam flight combat games, of course -- Rogue Squadron, Battle for Naboo, Aero Fighters Assault, etc. for instance. There's also the lightgun-style shooting game Knife Edge Nose Gunner. That one has four player support too.

There were a few more under development, such as Viewpoint 64, but sadly they were never completed or released. :(

As for what game that is, that's not much detail...

It was a standard shump. You know, the screen scrolls automaticlly verticlly at a set pase as you go, you shot all the things in your path, few power ups, boss at the end...

So, I guess it would have to be a PS1 shump with 3D graphics. I think the first level started over a city and the boss fight took place over the ocean.

Rafaelcsa

Thanks for the in depth response Hunahan. I have no idea when I'll be able to play games like Mars Matrix or Giga Wing since I don't have a Dreamcast, but if I can, I definitely will play them!

A Black Falcon said:
Yeah, Capcom was a solid shmup game developer. Not the best perhaps, but plenty good. The 19xx games, Sidearms, Forgotten Worlds, and Legendary Wings (Arcade and NES, they are somewhat different) are definitely worth playing, particularly if you like classic 8/16 bit-style shmups. Those are some of my favorite kinds of the games, so yeah, I definitely would recommend anyone who might like older-style shooters try Capcom's shmups. :)

I got the TG16 version of Sidearms a month or two ago, pretty good game. It's a lot like Forgotten Worlds, which came after it, with the forward-and-back shooting style. On that note TGCD Forgotten Worlds is one player only and annoying controls unless you have a 3-button NEC Avenue pad, but has a spectacular soundtrack and pretty good graphics... of course the arcade versions of both, along with Legendary Wings' arcade version and more, are in the Capcom Classics Collection compilation, too, along with some other stuff. Those two collections would probably be the best way to get Capcom's classic shooters.

Yep, I've been playing the Capcom shmups off the 2 Classics Collections. Some quality gaming on both. :)

I wish UN Squadron was on the VC. I hear it's really great.

fatty

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/02/24/is-konami-seriously-thinking-about-localizing-otomedius/

I couldn't get the link to work from the previous post. So has anyone played Otomedius G? Not until a couple of days ago did I find out it was an offshoot of the Gradius series (like Parodius) but I'm interested in some more Gradius-type shooter love. Hope this happens.

I'm thinking about picking up my first Cave shooter and I have no idea where to start. Death Smiles is coming to the U.S. and there is also Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 and Espgaluda 2 which are/will be region free.

hipgnosis

fatty said:
I'm thinking about picking up my first Cave shooter and I have no idea where to start. Death Smiles is coming to the U.S. and there is also Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 and Espgaluda 2 which are/will be region free.
I suggest you pick up Futari first. It's pretty accessible and also one of the best games Cave has made. The scoring mechanics aren't too complicated so it's easy to get a hang of it. There's also the Novice mode which is very easy and a good place to start.

fatty said:
[So has anyone played Otomedius G? Not until a couple of days ago did I find out it was an offshoot of the Gradius series (like Parodius) but I'm interested in some more Gradius-type shooter love. Hope this happens.

It's Gradius with tits, loli's and touching. Not as bizarre as the Parodius games but if you like Gradius, you'll find something to love with Otomedius.

Top Bottom