• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

onilink88

Also after skimming through the last few pages, after talking with some people (Ideaman included), I think it's safe to say we're looking at 2GB of total system memory for Wii U. The remaining questions will be what type of memory is it and how much will OS and friends need. 512MB will probably be the worst case and hopefully they'll trim the footprint even more.

Just so we're clear, 2GBs at retail or what's currently in dev kits for debugging purposes?

nordique

Also after skimming through the last few pages, after talking with some people (Ideaman included), I think it's safe to say we're looking at 2GB of total system memory for Wii U. The remaining questions will be what type of memory is it and how much will OS and friends need. 512MB will probably be the worst case and hopefully they'll trim the footprint even more.

Interesting.

This would be great on Nintendo's part, si vrai, and I suppose would give an indication as to what type of RAM will be in the Wii U...if we consider 2GB (even if 512mb is OS reserved) in that Wii U case we have an idea of densities involved.

Streaming video online while voice chatting is all I can think of.

Yeah. I want to say something else was about being able to continue a game at your current spot without saving

2GBs at retail or what's currently in dev kits for debugging purposes?

Retail

Interesting.

This would be great on Nintendo's part, si vrai, and I suppose would give an indication as to what type of RAM will be in the Wii U...if we consider 2GB (even if 512mb is OS reserved) in that Wii U case we have an idea of densities involved.

The most likely candidates are either DDR3 or GDDR5, but the latter's latency might be an issue if they don't have it clocked high enough.

Instro said:
So, assuming it launched with 256MB+ locked up, what is the OS doing that it would require so much RAM?
The OS is so advanced it's going to be running 2-3 Wii games in the background at all times to keep itself entertained?

Been reading this thread for a while and with E3 around the corner I thought I'd chime in for the first time!

I really hope the Wii U launches with a 3D Mario game. As much as I loved NSMBWii, it's not the type of game to showcase a new console with, especially with the horrendous art style. Super Mario Galaxy looks great despite the pathetic hardware, so give me something that impressive which really pushes the system.

I want them to announce that you can use two tablets at once. Four would be the ideal, but that's a fair bit of horsepower and I'm mostly going to be playing two player with the girlfriend anyway so 2 is enough. I can relegate my friends to Wiimotes whenever they join us.

In terms of power I want it to be a fair bit more powerful than PS3/360. Matching 7 year old technology should be shamed at this point. Being simply "HD" isn't enough, it needs enough power for some decent bells and whistles that will make the games stand up when the big boys release their new ones.

I have a powerful PC and I'll be buying the next MS/Sony consoles, so I don't give a shit how third party support is. I don't want to play Darksiders 2 on inferior hardware or Battlefield 3 a year after I had it maxed on PC. I hope we'll see a few solid exclusives at E3, half a dozen or so. The Wii released with a great line-up of exclusives and I want that incentive again. I get that there'll be a third party push but we all know in 18 months no third parties will give a shit about Nintendo and it's just painful to watch now.

Finally, I really hope they get the UI and internet stuff right. I want a gamertag. I want a menu that doesn't look like it's designed for a child. I want my VC games to transfer over easily.

I don't expect price or release date at E3. It will almost certainly be November, I think. Price wise, the Wii was... what, £180 I think? I think £250-£279 is probably likely, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it go for £300 odd maybe. My girlfriend and I already have £300 saved up for it and the cash is still going in the piggy bank, so we'll be ready regardless.

If Xbox 3 truly has 4GB of total RAM without a fairily large OS then the wii u will be shit out of luck. However, I expect 3GB at most from all next-gen consoles.

Really depends on Sony at this point, who seems to not be giving in completely to these ludicrous demands.
Also depends on how the Wii U does before the others come out.

Either way, though, the Wii U will be is a fairly good position as is. Especially with 2GB of RAM.

guek

Banned
I expect a fully bloated Windows 8 in Durango, we fine unless we go Android :|

Same here.

I'm also starting to get this gut feeling that MS is going to completely screw the pooch next gen. But that's not based on anything other than some guts...black stuff...and about fifty slim jims.

Ahh let's not have that discussion again. Wii U is not gonna live up to the other next-gen consoles graphically, but it ought to get more games aimed at us core gamers than the Wii did, it will have an online service with some serious thought behind it, and it won't look like excrement on an HD screen. So it's gonna be just fine.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I expect a fully bloated Windows 8 in Durango, we fine unless we go Android :|

Lol, I'd be surprised if the OS didn't have some sort of win 8 functionality.

Really depends on Sony at this point, who seems to not be giving in completely to these ludicrous demands.

Either way, though, the Wii U will be is a fairly good position as is. Especially with 2GB of RAM.

The Ps2 of next gen, indeed.

DON'T JINX IT!!!

it is far better to agree that all systems after WiiU will have 4-8GB of RAM let the word be known to Kotaku... and gotendo

thus Iwata lurking this thread will laugh and keep his 2GB steady

no jinx!!!

onilink88

Gotcha. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but it felt like 1.5GBs was a lock at some point. It was what the educated speculators came up with and what the insiders were strongly suggesting. This .5GB bump (if there was a bump at all), was it necessary in order to run certain third party engines/run certain third party engines more efficiently or anything like that?

Hasn't the "first" platform pretty much been the lead?  If it's enough of a boost over 360/PS3 I could see it as the base platform in the future, particularly if it gets a big lead in install base from the head start.

Generation 1: Magnavox Oddyssey (1972) was first with 330,000 sales, but Coleco Telstar (1976) won the generation with 1 million sales
Generation 2: Fairchild Channel F (1976) was first, but the Atari 2600 won handily
Generation 3: The Nintendo Famicom / Nintendo Entertainment System (1983) was first and won
Generation 4: TurboGrafX-16 was first. Genesis was second. The winner was the Super Famicom / Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Generation 5: Sega Saturn was first, but Sony PlayStation won (though it only came out a few weeks after)
Generation 6: Sega Dreamcast (1998) was first, but Sony PlayStation 2 (2000) won by a ten to one ratio
Generation 7: Microsoft Xbox 360 (2005) was first, but Nintendo Wii (2006) probably won

One out of seven ain't bad, though. ;)

There is an "early mover" advantage, one of the big reasons why the Xbox 360
is a little above the PS3 and not some amount below, but other factors can easily overwhelm that advantage.

guek

Banned
Is it wrong that I'd buy BLOPS II on Wii U simply to support those types of games on the system when I have zero real interest in actually playing a CoD title?

Having lots of dispensable income for the first time in my life feels weird.

BurntPork

Banned
Is it wrong that I'd buy BLOPS II on Wii U simply to support those types of games on the system when I have zero real interest in actually playing a CoD title?

Yes. Buy me Darksiders II and/or Batman: AC instead.

antonz

Alot of the new future tech stuff they have for BLOPS II practically begs for Wii U usage. Treyarch is at least a studio that has consistently tried on Nintendo platforms so it should at least be a solid game.

dwu8991

Banned

great way to spend your money !!!

mp alone would be worth the cash

one_kill

I also feel like I want to buy third party games even when I probably won't play them simply to show support.

so what are the chances that Durango is so powerful that it will need this subscription plan that MS is testing out?

Windows 8 and everything else under the hood to fit in the living room makes me kinda iffy about how much its beastly powers can hurt our lowly WiiU

We all know MS has been using gaming as a trojan horse all these years hoping to get to this point, it worked very well to put them on top

can a subscription plan be all it takes to have a very beastly console paid for?

yeah I know I was calling it Dungo in the last thread because I do not really think MS cares about gaming but the trojan horse thing worked. I just have a bad feeling that things are going to suck bad for gamers in a few years, not sure I'm ready

Well, I'd be willing to do that if they gave me certain assurances, including that if the game sells well that they'd strong consider making an exclusive.

Additional assurances would include split-screen multiplayer, option for classic controller and preferably also remote/nunchuk, more weapon variety, and a really well implemented MapMaker

Gotcha. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but it felt like 1.5GBs was a lock at some point. It was what the educated speculators came up with and what the insiders were strongly suggesting. This .5GB bump (if there was a bump at all), was it necessary in order to run certain third party engines/run certain third party engines more efficiently or anything like that?
Likely. The 1.5 is the amount that developers can use. The rest being reserved for the OS. At least, for now.

HylianTom

Banned
so what are the chances that Durango is so powerful that it will need this subscription plan that MS is testing out?

Windows 8 and everything else under the hood to fit in the living room makes me kinda iffy about how much its beastly powers can hurt our lowly WiiU

We all know MS has been using gaming as a trojan horse all these years hoping to get to this point, it worked very well to put them on top

can a subscription plan be all it takes to have a very beastly console paid for?

yeah I know I was calling it Dungo in the last thread because I do not really think MS cares about gaming but the trojan horse thing worked. I just have a bad feeling that things are going to suck bad for gamers in a few years, not sure I'm ready
If it works and bad things happen to that realm of gaming as a result, I feel that the gamers that supported this kind of maneuvering deserve every gram of feces that they get.

Kinda glad that Nintendo is a bit insulated in their own little backwards, behind-the-times Nintendo-ey corner of the industry.

guek

Banned

Hadn't even thought of the possibility of XBL subscriptions becoming mandatory. Oh Lord, what evils this generation has wrought...

M74

Hadn't even thought of the possibility of XBL subscriptions becoming mandatory. Oh Lord, what evils this generation has wrought...

"Leasing" consoles better not become the next big thing to do. You lease heavy equipment. You lease cars. You lease trailers. Leasing consumer electronics? No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom