• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire to Millennials: Stop Buying Avocado Toast If You Want to Buy a Home

Faiz

Avocados are pretty cheap in America as well if you're on the West coast.

Australians just have it bad because they need to import it from the Americas I imagine. This explains why more American millenials own homes than Australian millenials. That avocado tax is just killer.

It's not like they are super expensive in middle America either. We regularly get them for $1 each, though $1.50 is common.

Sarcasm aside, this is actually a real part of the problem, and I say this as someone who's guilty of it as well. The harder things are the more some of us rely on small pick me ups to cope. But the price of those pick me ups does add up.

Well yeah I mean literally just being a living person adds up. Where do we stop blaming individuals for buying a coffee and start addressing the systemic issues that make everything so bad in the first place, like wages stagnating?

Should poor people just never eat out? Only drink Soylent? Not take Tylenol for a headache because they can get by without it and Tylenol will eat into their mortgage payment 15 years from now?

Like hey I'm all for responsible budgeting, but it's kind of crazy to me that we're sitting here complaining about people struggling to get by enjoying a coffee or meeting friends for brunch.

Sarek

Well lets say im one of the people who buys a cup of coffee every morning at $6 a pop, that's ~$2200 a year. Oh yeah, that's definitely going to help me buy a brand new house in California /s

Invest that money yearly into stocks and with average return of 7% per annum after 10 years you have saved over 30k. I don't know California house prices, but in my places that is large enough down payment to get a mortgage.

I get his point because there are tons of overpriced 'experiences' being sold now at the restaurants and tons of bougie shit rebranded as some millennial garbage with a 50% bougie tax. I rarely eat out nowadays and have been able to save tons of money as a result. I look at eating out as 'bonding with friends and family' instead of seeing of it as everyday food.

But it still doesn't change the fact that the purchasing power of an average individual is now less than it was decades ago.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That's not what the guy said though.

Everyone should be able to treat themselves every now and again. But as times have changed and the consumerist culture has advanced, a lot of people don't see a daily coffee and bagel, or lunch at a fast food restaurant, or a meal out, or a new piece of tech as a treat. It's just something we buy as if it's a necessary or normal expense.
I do understand the importance of saving money, and living within one's means. The problem is deeper though, and many people can't afford houses even when cutting all of their non-essential expenses. That's why this feels like it's blaming poor people for wasting their money, when instead it's about them not being able to afford stuff even if they tried to save.

I don't know where you're getting these numbers. 700,000 is "median house price" in places like New York City and urban Cali.

It does not make sense to take two of the most expensive markets in the country, New York City and California, and then project that as indicative of the norm, by using terms like "median house price."

The median house price, in the US, is not $700,000. it is generally around $180-190k. Of course this varies dramatically by market.

Thats not enough as security. The bank would at least want to have something thats worth 200k € if you buy a, lets say, 300-350k € home.

Buying a 350k home and posting it is collateral with a mortgage on it is what I argued. Banks in cases like those tend to value the property at lower price in order to have an equity buffer if property prices start going down.

jwk94

We spend a lot of money on food because we're depressed that houses cost half a million dollars these days. We also spend a lot of money on food because food is expensive. So shut the fuck up!
You can make some good food with the money you're spending at a restaurant though.

This is a very extreme case, but when I was living in the dorms, I used to eat either chicken breasts, rice, and veggies, or spaghetti every weekday. When Friday came, I'd buy myself some steak, country-style ribs (which are pretty cheap), or splurge on something else I could make at home. That helped me save quite a bit of money...which was promptly spent on frivolous stuff like video games, but you get the point.

Ron Mexico

If you're smart you do. Otherwise you get fucked by private mortgage insurance

So two scenarios here, please tell me which one you'd prefer:

A) I wait several years to squirrel away 20% for avoiding PMI. In doing so, rates are now let's say 2% than they were when I could have bought with PMI. I now pay an additional $X each month in interest

or

B) I take advantage of still nearly historic lows, take my lumps with PMI (although there are cases where I don't even need to do that). My property then appreciates over those several years, I'm still paying down principal over those several years, and if I'm that concerned with PMI, I still then have the option to refi.

This is why I say we've failed at educating borrowers about all their options.

What?

First off, 700,000 is an extreme case saved for the most affluent parts of New York, California, and Florida. Median house price is 188K as of January 2014.

Second, cutting out that $15 expense daily $15 x 260 (the amount of weekdays in a year) = 3900 dollars. 10 percent of the 188K median = 19000 (Rounded up).

19000 / 3900 = 4.9. Less than 5 years.

Median price of a home in the USA is $315K and the average is $388K as of March 2017:
https://www.census.gov/construction/nrs/pdf/uspricemon.pdf

The mortgage payment on that median house would be around $1800-1900 per month. That would demand an income well above US household median income.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I cook at home a lot. I think more people should do it. But eating out is not keeping people from buying houses. If you spent $10 a day on food and instead saved it all you could afford a downpayment in like 10 years

Things that will have a real impact are: going to college, not going to college, getting in a major accident, having a major illness, having children, not having a wealthy family, not marrying rich, being of a particular set of minorities or going to jail. Only the last one is going to be a true bad decision. The amount of debt people accrue just to live normally is insane. Let's say you save $200 a month by being extra frugal, not drinking coffee, eating avocados or getting quilted toilet paper, in a decade you'd have $24,000 enough for a small down payment, but guess what it's 10 years later and this is no longer enough, oh and your current rent is increasing 10% a year but your pay isn't so each year it gets even harder.

Some of that though is the normalization of $2000 laptops, $6 coffees, $3000 mattresses and everything else we get bombarded with on a daily basis from the time we are born through advertising.

A huge part of the problem about not being able to afford things is how much we have to pay to debt. College. Car. Consumable crap. Only spending $2 on a daily coffee instead of $6 might not sound like much, but that could be $100 extra a month that you aren't spending. That could be an extra credit card payment, an extra car lease payment, extra payments to school loans, anything.

Housing costs are indeed a problem, inflation is indeed a problem, but consumer spending habits and budgeting are indeed a problem.

Median price of a home in the USA is $315K and the average is $388K as of March 2017:
https://www.census.gov/construction/nrs/pdf/uspricemon.pdf

The mortgage payment on that median house would be around $1800-1900 per month. That would demand an income well above US household median income.

New construction though.

Another thing that people aren't addressing is that merely by owning a home the increased value in equity will provide you a pretty decent return.

Nobody wants to live in a shoebox in New York City, but at the rate of appreciation that is going on that postage stamp you bought for 200K will be double that in 5 years, quadruple in 10.

Linkura

People concentrating too much on avocados. :p

The general message is sound.

No it isn't. The housing market has gone up way faster than wages, and so have education costs, so many millennials have student debt their parents didn't have, PLUS much higher housing costs.

Unbounded

I mean, sure, plenty of people have no fucking idea how to budget their money decently and spend tons on unnecessary pricy shit. Totally worth addressing.

Let's not pretend for a second that it isn't harder to afford a house now than it used to be, though.

Ron Mexico

Depends on the market and your finances and what you hope to pay for a monthly mortgage payment (i.e., what's affordable). So, you may very well need to.

If affordability is the concern, FHA and similar programs are the EXACT remedy. So all you would very well need to do is be prepared to let go of potential misconceptions.

There's give and take with every financing option, but the faulty logic (and again, I don't think it's your fault per se-- it's that nobody really taught this) is absolutely maddening.

What?

First off, 700,000 is an extreme case saved for the most affluent parts of New York, California, and Florida. Median house price is 188K as of January 2014.

Second, cutting out that $15 expense daily $15 x 260 (the amount of weekdays in a year) = 3900 dollars. 10 percent of the 188K median = 19000 (Rounded up).

19000 / 3900 = 4.9. Less than 5 years.

No, not really. I live 10 miles outside of Seattle and every new house built around me - and it's a metric shit ton of houses - starts near $580,000 with plenty going for a lot more than that. The average home values median for my county, Snohomish, is almost $400,000 which is brought down by houses out in the middle of bloody nowhere. You couldn't even buy a condo around here for $188,000.

see5harp

Some of that though is the normalization of $2000 laptops, $6 coffees, $3000 mattresses and everything else we get bombarded with on a daily basis from the time we are born through advertising.

A huge part of the problem about not being able to afford things is how much we have to pay to debt. College. Car. Consumable crap. Only spending $2 on a daily coffee instead of $6 might not sound like much, but that could be $100 extra a month that you aren't spending. That could be an extra credit card payment, an extra car lease payment, extra payments to school loans, anything.

Housing costs are indeed a problem, inflation is indeed a problem, but consumer spending habits and budgeting are indeed a problem.

Damn I don't got a $3000 mattress what the fuck did I go to college for? Fuck. Am I poor?

Parch

If people spend frivolously, then it's a little hypocritical to complain about being poor and hand wave off any bootstrap talk. Blaming others or society is a lot easier, from their latest tech device in a Starbucks.

Orpheus

Neo Member
giphy.gif

Buying a 350k home and posting it is collateral with a mortgage on it is what I argued. Banks in cases like those tend to value the property at lower price in order to have an equity buffer if property prices start going down.

You still wouldnt get it under those circumstances. Thats why the average home buyer age in Germany is 41,5 years.

I can tell you with what my wife and me are earning, 30 years ago we could have easily gotten a 600k€ (1,2 million DM) loan. Not really possible nowadays.

No, not really. I live 10 miles outside of Seattle and every new house built around me - and it's a metric shit ton of houses - starts near $580,000 with plenty going for a lot more than that. The average home values median for my county, Snohomish, is almost $400,000 which is brought down by houses out in the middle of bloody nowhere. You couldn't even buy a condo around her for $188,000.

You don't say...

If people spend frivolously, then it's a little hypocritical to complain about being poor and hand wave off any bootstrap talk. Blaming others or society is a lot easier, from their latest tech device in a Starbucks.

I didn't know that Jason Chaffetz had a GAF account. Fucking poor people and their iPhones.

Timeaisis

I buy avocado toast and own a home, thank you very much.

Seriously, though I think the housing issue is twofold:

1) Income is stagnating, and has been for years. Everyone knows this. Therefore, saving money is harder.
2) Our culture is becoming more and more service and experience driven and less about products. And those are way, way, way more expensive in the long run. Going to every music festival and convention while being subscribed to every single entertainment service in existence really adds up. It's tough to save when culture wants you to spend your money on every single thing or you'll miss out on all the fun, on the experience. Social media is part to blame, I'm sure.

You need good self-control to save money, and it's hard. But it's still possible. And yes, you can still buy avocado toast. But maybe not concert tickets every weekend.

You still wouldnt get it under those circumstances. Thats why the average home buyer age in Germany is 41,5 years.

I can tell you with what my wife and me are earning, 30 years ago we could have easily gotten a 600k€ (1,2 million DM) loan. Not really possible nowadays.

Well I can't really argue with you, since you Germans always had strange rules about everything. :p

But generally speaking, that is extremely risk averse banking. Risk management to that extant is quite rare.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The general message is sound. Plenty of people spend beyond their means.

This is a trite observation and given the millionaire's... credentials entirely unconvincing (which would be the ideal outcome from sharing this observation, I suppose?)

Here's an equally cogent observation: Water is wet.

Now, someone write an article about my insight into fluid mechanics and what it could mean for millennials.

see5harp

No, not really. I live 10 miles outside of Seattle and every new house built around me - and it's a metric shit ton of houses - starts near $580,000 with plenty going for a lot more than that. The average home values median for my county, Snohomish, is almost $400,000 which is brought down by houses out in the middle of bloody nowhere. You couldn't even buy a condo around her for $188,000.

I don't know how you aren't getting this. Do you realize that you can buy house houses in North Carolina and parts of Michigan, and hundreds of cities all over this country for under $100,000? No shit it's expensive in Seattle, S.F, San Jose, Portland, New York, etc. and in the suburbs around it.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
So two scenarios here, please tell me which one you'd prefer:

A) I wait several years to squirrel away 20% for avoiding PMI. In doing so, rates are now let's say 2% than they were when I could have bought with PMI. I now pay an additional $X each month in interest.
While rates are finally going up now, I don't think there has been any two year span where rates have increased by 2% in the past decade.

He's totally right. We had friends in Melb looking for a house and they complained about how little money they had for it, but damn they were hitting those smashed avocado toasts like no one's business. They eventually settled for a small 2 bedroom @ $799k. They should have ordered the Almond Coconut Bircher Muesli for $15. Waaaaaay cheaper.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
No it isn't. The housing market has gone up way faster than wages, and so have education costs, so many millennials have student debt their parents didn't have, PLUS much higher housing costs.

depends where you live. Everyone keeps talking about LA and NYC. SURPRISE, living in a prospering city is going to cost more year after year. There are forclosed homes in rural areas that can be had 20K or less in every state. They just need a little TLC.

Well I can't really argue with you, since you Germans always had strange rules about everything. :p

But generally speaking, that is extremely risk averse banking. Risk management to that extant is quite rare.

It might be, because unlike some other countries, banks dont earn money with debts here but with other schemes :D

Somnid

It's still not the significant part of housing as the cost scale is exponentially more.

But berating people for not being frugal enough doesn't strike me as the right course of action if it it were. Let me propose the "problem" in a different way. Why shouldn't, after 30 years of technological advancement, people be able to have both daily coffee and housing?

Or alternatively. Why spend many years of your life sleeping on a crappy mattress when the value saved is never going to amount to a goal as large as housing? Why not just get a new mattress and enjoy what little you have rather than wait until you're 60 and have a bad back from sleeping on a crappy mattress?

depends where you live. Everyone keeps talking about LA and NYC. SURPRISE, living in a prospering city is going to cost more year after year. There are forclosed homes in rural areas that can be had 20K or less in every state. They just need a little TLC.

Except that's not where a lot of professional jobs are.

I don't know how you aren't getting this. Do you realize that you can buy house houses in North Carolina and parts of Michigan, and hundreds of cities all over this country for under $100,000? No shit it's expensive in Seattle, S.F, San Jose, Portland, New York, etc. and in the suburbs around it.

Atlanta is still a lower threshold for entry and has the benefits of a good job market. Moving is a tough decision, but it should be one people are open to if there's a job there for you.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Seattle is not New York.

Unbounded

I was touring a bunch of houses in Florida yesterday and there were a bunch of hugeass two-story houses with 5+ bedrooms that were each almost as big as my old 900 sq. Ft apartment for sub 500K.

These are basically mansions. The lowest end ones were still fuckhuge with 4 bedrooms for 225K.

What houses are you looking at for 700k and why does anyone need that much living space unless they're housing their entire goddamn family.

dabig2

Lots of handwringing about those damn welfare queens, lobster eating food stampers, section 8ers with working fridges, expensive trendy millennials in this topic, but I'm fairly certain research indicates millennials are frugal ,comparatively speaking.

Famously Frugal: Nearly 40 Percent of Millennials Will Stash Their Tax Refund

Macy's is making one fatal mistake about its customers

http://fortune.com/2015/04/29/why-millennials-and-the-depression-era-generation-are-more-similar-than-you-think/
Millennials have a bad rap. We imagine them spending their days updating social media accounts with headsets covering their ears and their parents' credit card numbers pre-logged into Amazon Prime accounts.

A nice life if you can get it, but the reality is far different, according to research by Standard & Poor's. Millennials — those born between the early 1980s through the early 2000s and also known as Generation Y— are shaping up to be a frugal and career-focused generation with the potential to lead a robust and sustainable U.S. economy. We I say potential because they're not yet the potent economic force that they could be; they are thus far a quiet group, economically conservative and waiting for better conditions to roar to life.

The success or failure of this generation will have widespread economic consequences. Already, millennials spend about $600 billion annually and are on track to spend $1.4 trillion a year by 2020.

According to our research, continued low wages for millennials could reduce U.S. GDP by as much as $244 billion through 2019, or $49 billion a year, relative to our baseline scenario. This suggests that policies around housing, wages, and the new threat caused by high student debt may have the greatest potential to help or harm millennials — things policymakers should heed as this generation grows as a political force.

We come to this conclusion in part by looking to the past. If you compare millennials to other generations you 'll find, somewhat surprisingly, that they share the most similarities with the so-called Silent Generation. These were Americans born in the mid-1920s through the early 1940s and who grew up during the Great Depression, but eventually drove a booming economy.

Just as their grandparents (and great-grandparents) before them, millennials experienced a major financial crisis during their formative years that has infused in them financial conservatism and a propensity to save. They are more likely to keep a larger amount of cash on hand, holding more than half their assets in cash, less than a third in equities, and 15% in fixed-income assets.

So why aren't millennials guaranteed a strong economy in their middle years? The differences with the Silent Generation come in two areas , in particular: a slow-growth economy with lower wages combined with crushing loads of student debt. The Silent Generation entered adulthood during a robust growth cycle in part due to programs, such as the New Deal and Works Progress Administration. Millennials, instead, have only seen slow to moderate growth in GDP, with near stagnant gain in wages as they enter the workforce.

[...]

Top Bottom