• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire to Millennials: Stop Buying Avocado Toast If You Want to Buy a Home

giphy.gif

The out of touch rich person trope sure hasn't died out.

( Queen Marie Antoinette never actually said that btw)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
First off, 700,000 is an extreme case saved for the most affluent parts of New York, California, and Florida. Median house price is 188K as of January 2014.

I don't know where you're getting these numbers. 700,000 is "median house price" in places like New York City and urban Cali.

The "most affluent parts of New York and California" will run you into the millions without breaking a sweat. Florida, well, it's more reasonable down there but you're also missing out on the tech jobs that's driving these home prices.

No he is actually correct, people are buying and spending too much than they need.

To be honest though, there is a lot more cool things to spend on these days imo

The guy is full of shit when it comes to the housing market though. There is an extreme shortage of homes on the market and therefore the prices are inflated. You can forget about getting a decent starter home (at starter home prices) in a good school district in lots of areas of Atlanta. Homes are sitting on the market in our target area on average less than a week. There were multiple situations where i saw a house hit the market at 8pm on Thursday and by 5pm Friday its off the market. People have simply given up on getting the house they want and are just buying any house that comes up in the district.
The majority of new construction on this side of town starts in the high 200s to low 400s and as anyone who has house hunted before can tell you, when the sign says starting in the 200s what they really mean is the house you want starts in the 300s. Holding off on a 6 dollar coffee every morning isnt going to do shit when it comes to those prices.

Millennials are getting the short end of the stick from the Boomers. They sucked all the money out of the economy, depressed wages, are killing social services, and then have the nerve to say its our laziness that is holding us back.

rhandino

Banned
He is not wrong.

I know a LOT of people that always say that they are being underpaid (they gain way above the average) yet they still have coins to buy expensive coffee and get out to lunch in costly restaurants while the cafeteria that serves excellent food for half the price is only for "those other people" apparently.

There are of course people with different circumstances but a lot of young people expend a lot of their money in fluff instead of invest it on their future.

mavo

Banned
Poor people should only be allowed to eat rice and beans, maybe they can add a spoon or two of sugar to their coffee during their birthdays but thats it.

Jag

Dammit, now I want guacamole.

I'm probably an old man jerk for doing this, but I give my son grief when he adds guacamole to an order. I'm like, that shit's an expensive add-on and I'm paying for it.

I do well, but i can still be a cheap bastard.

yeah millennials going to be the worst gen in recent history. nothing new here
good at outcry, bad at accomplish anything

Millennials in the West, maybe. Millennials in places with upward economic trajectories like BRICS/MINT will probably have it better than their parents. There are exceptions of course and these cohorts aren't really that homogeneous.

GodOfVG103

Neo Member
yeah millennials going to be the worst gen in recent history. nothing new here
good at outcry, bad at accomplish anything

This is kind of true but at the same time, you can't blame us because we were the gen that was constantly lied too.

False narratives....

Chococat

Avocados aren't even that expensive.

Depends on what part of the country you live in.

Not that I am agreeing with the article, but people tend to forget cost of living varies depend on where you live in the nation. That $1-$1.50 is different in fly over country oppose to the coast.

I was poor, and know you have to give up allot of thing to move up. But the game is so rigged against poor and middle class now, the advice is useless.

Somnid

You're assuming that $6 coffee is the only poor budgeting decision they make.

Poor decisions don't typically occur in a vacuum.

Things that will have a real impact are: going to college, not going to college, getting in a major accident, having a major illness, having children, not having a wealthy family, not marrying rich, being of a particular set of minorities or going to jail. Only the last one is going to be a true bad decision. The amount of debt people accrue just to live normally is insane. Let's say you save $200 a month by being extra frugal, not drinking coffee, eating avocados or getting quilted toilet paper, in a decade you'd have $24,000 enough for a small down payment, but guess what it's 10 years later and this is no longer enough, oh and your current rent is increasing 10% a year but your pay isn't so each year it gets even harder.

Maxinas

Well lets say im one of the people who buys a cup of coffee every morning at $6 a pop, that's ~$2200 a year. Oh yeah, that's definitely going to help me buy a brand new house in California /s

Pau

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the columnist isn't Colombian. Avocados are like the one fruit we eat regularly besides plantains. Never thought of it as a luxury food. I know that's not the point of the article but that's what jumped out. :p

Yeah, you don't need 20% down to buy a home, especially as a first-time homebuyer.

In Germany if you are, lets say, around 26/27 and have a normal job with a university degree, the bank wont give you a credit as long as you dont have any security (parents home, your company gives some security etc.). If I go to the bank with my wife with around 100K € and a salary of both of us with around 5000-6000€ after tax, we still wouldnt get a credit, because we are "too young".

The average buying age in Germany for a house is 41,5 years in 2017. It was 37,5 in 2007. If we go back 30 years it was around 29,7.

There is a reason for that and its not just "because millenials spend so much on useless stuff".

Maybe this absolutely appalling, outlandish, idiotic, totally unnecessary and laughably short-sighted daily luxury expenditure of a fucking coffee helps your friend make it through the day a little easier, what with that crushing burden of credit card debt actively ruining their life and all.

Unless you're friend is a robot, in which case your robot friend is pretty silly for going through the motions of mimicking typical human coping mechanisms in adverse circumstances. Silly robot, what are you doing with all that coffee?! It's just going to run straight through you and out your robot anus.

At least one rich person understands the plight of the common man.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Maybe this absolutely appalling, outlandish, idiotic, totally unnecessary and laughably short-sighted daily luxury expenditure of a fucking coffee helps your friend make it through the day a little easier, what with that crushing burden of credit card debt actively ruining their life and all.

Unless you're friend is a robot, in which case your robot friend is pretty silly for going through the motions of mimicking typical human coping mechanisms in adverse circumstances. Silly robot, what are you doing with all that coffee?! It's just going to run straight through you and out your robot anus.

Sarcasm aside, this is actually a real part of the problem, and I say this as someone who's guilty of it as well. The harder things are the more some of us rely on small pick me ups to cope. But the price of those pick me ups does add up.

Linkura

Well, I'm a millennial who never heard of avocado toast before this thread, and I own a home, so the article must be right!!!

/s

Faiz

I'm not sure spending almost $200 a month on cappuccino is defensible as a coping mechanism for someone who's maxed out credit cards and can't pay them off.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
We spend a lot of money on food because we're depressed that houses cost half a million dollars these days. We also spend a lot of money on food because food is expensive. So shut the fuck up!

In Germany if you are, lets say, around 26/27 and have a normal job with a university degree, the bank wont give you a credit as long as you dont have any security (parents home, your company gives some security etc.). If I go to the bank with my wife with around 100K € and a salary of both of us with around 5000€ netto, we still wouldnt get a credit, because we are "too young".

The average buying age in Germany for a house is 41,5 years in 2017. It was 37,5 in 2007. If we go back 30 years it was around 29,7.

There is a reason for that and its not just "because millenials spend so much on useless stuff".

Why can't you use the acquired property as collateral? I'm genuinely curios. I live in a poorer country but you could probably post a property with market value of 100K euro for something like 80K euro in collateral, leaving you with a shortage of 20K euro.

I don't know where you're getting these numbers. 700,000 is "median house price" in places like New York City and urban Cali.

The "most affluent parts of New York and California" will run you into the millions without breaking a sweat. Florida, well, it's more reasonable down there but you're also missing out on the tech jobs that's driving these home prices.

The average for Queens NY was $450K as of 2015. Brooklyn was 758K, but Brooklyn is the affluent part of New York I was talking about.

Beyond that, are New York City, Los Angeles/Silicon Valley and Miami the only habitable parts of the continental United States? Of course not, which is why blanket calling the National median $700K (which is patently false) is silly at best.

Where i'm getting my numbers:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2016/08/daily-chart-20

Look at the chart. New York and California are expensive surely, but the averages? Ha.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
There are an awful lot of factors that influence young people's inability to buy homes.

Personally, I would rank "wanting to live in unaffordable trendy areas" and "their parents encouraged them to go 100k in debt for a useless degree" above food spending. But that doesn't mean people couldn't stand to be a little more prudent about how they spend their money if they're trying to save for a home.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the columnist isn't Colombian. Avocados are like the one fruit we eat regularly besides plantains. Never thought of it as a luxury food. I know that's not the point of the article but that's what jumped out. :p
Avocados are pretty cheap in America as well if you're on the West coast.

Australians just have it bad because they need to import it from the Americas I imagine. This explains why more American millenials own homes than Australian millenials. That avocado tax is just killer.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
My boy opened up a poke restaurant and took him a few months to hire a full staff and still looking for kitchen help, he recruited in HS and Colleges around SF/Milbrea area...problem is nobody wanna fucking work! You would think HS kids or College kids willing to work but these damn kids these day think there worth more and won't work in a restaurant...and my boy pays more then min. Wage...crazy these day...also heard about a ramen restaurant that having hard time hiring and his opening day been push back because the lack of staffing

Part of this is the fact that even an above-minimum wage restaurant job isn't going to keep you housed in most places in the SF Bay Area these days.

Why can't you use the acquired property as collateral? I'm genuinely curios. I live in a poorer country but you could probably post a property with market value of 100K euro for something like 80K euro in collateral, leaving you with a shortage of 20K euro.

Thats not enough as security. The bank would at least want to have something thats worth 200k € if you buy a, lets say, 300-350k € home.

Instro

If you're smart you do. Otherwise you get fucked by private mortgage insurance

As long as your not FHA you can get out of it after 2 years generally speaking. Some lenders will simply drop it if your home value has appreciated a certain amount compared to the loan, others require a refinance to remove. 5% down is more than fine, especially if it's not going to be your forever home.

zethren

Banned
Fuck off, millionaire prick. I'm not interested in your judgment. It's obviously a no brainer that spending adds up. But buying avocados is not the reason why millenials are having a tough time buying a home.

Also, does he take into account the number of millenials who prefer to rent over buying a home? Personally speaking, I have no interest in buying a home anytime soon. I'd much rather rent at the current point of my life.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I've never heard of avocado toast. I guess I'll give it a try.

I'm also preeeeetty sure a bag of avocados is like $2.

Reeks

Actually the thread has nothing to do with avocado toast. It has everything to do with needless spending.

Hemorrhaging because of student loans and the interest thereof seems pretty needless. After a decade of ramen and spagetti-O's, damn fucking right I eat some avocado from time-to-time.

RedAssedApe

Banned
People concentrating too much on avocados. :p

The general message is sound. Plenty of people spend beyond their means.

Of course there are also cities where the housing markets are out of control.

Top Bottom