• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best and Worst Anime Revivals

cj_iwakura

It depends how you see it. Crystal is supposed to be an adaption of the manga, not a reboot of the old Sailor Moon show.

Besides the character design, it is actually a good adaption of the manga.
And the manga is bad too, so yes it is. Every villain dies in a page, no character development.

PsionBolt

Casshern Sins deserves a mention. It's probably the only piece of media in the macro-genre "grimdark reimagining" that I'm quite partial to. Mainly, that's because it looks absolutely fantastic, but still.

I really like what Gatchaman Crowds (2013) did. The 1972 original was your standard superhero show, fancy suits, flashy attacks, gadgets and a jet plane called the GOD PHOENIX.

You'd think that when Tatsunoko announced a reboot to Gatchaman they'd be making something to cash into the massive superhero hype at the time. They gave us Crowds instead where the action is minimal, fights are unsatisfying and the heroes don't do too much hero-ing. The show focused more on the potential of the general population and their superpower, the internet. You can argue that the show fell flat a bit, but it was still a nice contrast with the original series and its perception of heroes.

Crowds is a great show, to be sure. It's has absolutely nothing to do with Gatchaman whatsoever, mind, but it's still great. Even the second season, while it struggled to find its direction, eventually grew on me quite a bit. The long-term dedication to making a superhero show without superheroes or super-heroism was remarkable.

Pluto

May I hijack this thread for a bit?
I've only occasionally seen Dragon Ball Z and I'd really like to watch the whole show.

What's the best way to do it and where?
Watch the original Dragonball, ignore DBZ because it has atrocious pacing, read the manga for that part or watch DBZ Kai which cuts most of the filler. After that the Battle of Gods and Ressurection F movies, then skip to episode 28 of Dragonball Super (the first 27 episodes are a retelling of the movies just worse and longer than they need to be).

Nightfall

Watch the original Dragonball, ignore DBZ because it has atrocious pacing, read the manga for that part or watch DBZ Kai which cuts most of the filler. After that the Battle of Gods and Ressurection F movies, then skip to episode 28 of Dragonball Super (the first 27 episodes are a retelling of the movies just worse and longer than they need to be).

I've already seen the original Dragonball. Just wanna catch up with Z.
I'll check Kai out then. Thanks!

kurahador

Time to chime in.

Best: Yamato 2199, GITS Stand Alone Complex, Jojo, Blood+.
Worst: GITS Arise, Blood-C, Hellsing Ultimate.

These Berserk gifs, Holy Fuck what the hell is this anime.

tenor.gif
Why is this scene giving me a Zelda CDI feeling
1c8xkvussvaz.gif

Thud

Berserk is the worst.

I actually enjoyed watching digimon tri.

Hoping that Legend of the Galactic Heroes revival is good.

Big One

Banned
All of these anime revivals keeps making me question why they haven't done Rurouni Kenshin yet. It needs it bad, especially since the final arc and the upcoming Hokkaido arc hasn't gotten animated yet.

Z3M0G

1199003-0badass.jpg

Evangelion:

Say what you want about 3.0 but the Rebuild of Evangelion is also a massive success compared to many attempts to revive similar franchises

Each movie was a succes and people still debate trying to make sense of Anno's fuckery and middle fingers throughout each movie

2.0 might be one of the series highest points IMHO, and
I love that the movie builds up Shinji character as a more traditional hero only to kick it in the nuts hard in 3.0

So so good... I can't wait for 4.0 (or 3.0+1.0)... I hope it blows everyone's mind, cements what many of us already feel is obvious,
that is is indeed a sequel not a remake
, but still ambiguous about it enough to leave many people scratching their heads and keeps people talking for years.

In some ways I wonder if the long delays between movies have done it more favors than harm.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Best:

GiTS Stand Alone Complex. Had low hopes, but it really broadened and expended on the universe, and didn't overstay its welcome

FMA:Brotherhood. Just better than the previous anime in every way.

Hellsing Ultimate. Better in every way than the first series, and like FMA:B, covers the entirity of the manga run without being dragged out.

Worst:
Evangelion2.0/3.0 whatever: Milking a never that amazing series for fanboy cash.

DBZ Super. Taking a classic, if overrated series and continguing to wring it for all it's worth. In decades of work, Toriyama is still awful at character design.

Berserk. do I even need to go there?

Linkark07

Banned
Might already been posted but Sailor Moon Crystal started awful but the third season was quite good. It doesn't come close to the original anime, but it adapted well the manga arc.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The worst is The iDOLM@STER 2011

Where are all the mechs from the original?
Why did they replace the original female protagonist with some bloke and reduce her to a side character?
What happened to the storyline - it's all now some down to earth issues about putting on a stage show rather than a grand scale earth is in danger adventure?
Why did they introduce random new character while also changing the personalities of the originals. That new blonde haired girl was the worst!

I am at the next stage of Berserk grief, where I see those gifs and think about how ready the series is for another revival.... in 2028 after I'm dead.

Fj0823

Rebuild goes batshit crazy which is why I love it.

The Original Series will still be great no matter what rebuild does, if it's a cycle, a diferent universe, a reboot, doesn't matter. EoE in all it's brilliance is still brilliant and has no real follow-up. Despite Anno's trolls symbolism.

Alternate Universes and reimaginings work like that, there's the fun in it going bonkers with stuff like WILLE and the Failures of Infinity

Contrary to Eureka Seven AO were the entire point of the show is about how
miserable the life of Renton and Eureka is after the perfect ending shown in the original, how the character in the original were wrong to help the Coralians, How Eureka's dream of giving life to another being ends up in edgy tragedy and all that tied up in a plot that's an insulting Evangelion ripoff.

And a Fucking Retcon Canon. No seriously its a canon, that fires beams, that change the universe

Fuck everything about this scene in particular

e7ao_renton_eureka_bury_child.png

daveo42

Banned
I refuse to believe any of those Berserk gifs are real. It's like they decided some RWBY test footage from pre-season one was good enough to release.

Or they just hired out that Korean company that does the CG news updates.

Linkark07

Banned
miserable the life of Renton and Eureka is after the perfect ending shown in the original, how the character in the original were wrong to help the Coralians, How Eureka's dream of giving life to another being ends up in edgy tragedy and all that tied up in a plot that's an insulting Evangelion ripoff.
Eureka Seven AO never happened.

Linkark07

Banned
Dunno if it counts, but Soul Eater.

Understandably, the first anime had to end with fillers since they caught up with the manga, just like the first Full Metal Alchemist. And while the first Soul Eater was good, the original content was... average to say the least.

We didn't have new Soul Eater animated content until Bones announced a new Soul Eater anime. Sadly, instead of being Soul Eater Brotherhood, we got Soul Eater Not!, an anime spin off that is completely different than the original series. And even to these days, we don't have any indication Bones plans to adapt the original manga.

Fj0823

Rebuild goes batshit crazy which is why I love it.

The Original Series will still be great no matter what rebuild does, if it's a cycle, a diferent universe, a reboot, doesn't matter. EoE in all it's brilliance is still brilliant and has no real follow-up. Despite Anno's trolls symbolism.

Alternate Universes and reimaginings work like that, there's the fun in it going bonkers with stuff like WILLE and the Failures of Infinity

And a Fucking Retcon Canon. No seriously its a canon, that fires beams, that changes the universe and the characters

Fuck everything about this scene in particular

e7ao_renton_eureka_bury_child.png

What's so bad about the new Eureka 7? I didn't pay attention to it at all

See my post above

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
One of the best that has not been mentioned would be Ushio and Tora. I suppose the worst revival I can think of is 8 Man After.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Dunno if it counts, but Soul Eater.

Understandably, the first anime had to end with fillers since they caught up with the manga, just like the first Full Metal Alchemist. And while the first Soul Eater was good, the original content was... average to say the least.

We didn't have new Soul Eater animated content until Bones announced a new Soul Eater anime. Sadly, instead of being Soul Eater Brotherhood, we got Soul Eater Not!, an anime spin off that is completely different than the original series. And even to these days, we don't have any indication Bones plans to adapt the original manga.

To clarify, Soul Eater Not! is based on an existing manga spinoff by the same author. My understanding is that as an adaptation of that, it's adequate, but the base concept has its issues.

It's me, I'm the only guy that likes Digimon Adventure Tri.
Agreed on Eureka 7 AO as worst though. The original is one of my favorites and AO just took a fat shit all over it before hanging itself.

Ogodei

AO just doesn't exist to me. Just like the second half of Usagi Drop. Doesn't exist. Never happen. The original is just its own thing.

Fortunately the new movies will create a new ending for the series which likely precludes AO's existence. The first movie just premiered at Otakon (which i got to see) and basically just retells the first half of the anime up to Renton's decision to leave Ray and Charles.

It's basically clip show: the movie, aside from explaining the Summer of Love backstory and fiddling with a few details (like that Ray and Charles formally adopted Renton back when Adroc died, though Grandpa still raised him, or that Renton briefly went to the military academy before dropping out to join Gekko State), but a preview clip they showed after the credits implies more changes, like Anemone being a bigger presence and having her own squadron of enemy pilots.

Point is, hopefully the new ending will sponge away AO.

pbayne

Did anyone watch Yatterman Night?

The Time Bokan series is pretty old, and the villains tended to outshine the protagonists (even in the live-action adaptation they make a spectacle of themselves), but running with the concept and reversing the role seems like an almost daring idea after so many iterations on the concept, I wonder how that turned out.

It was okay. Certainly had its charm but a lot of the humor was hit or miss. Production crumples in the last episode too.

Top Bottom