• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best and Worst Anime Revivals

Aizo

Banned
Wait hold up, they remade Yamato 2199...?

My one hang up about trying to watch it (despite incredibly high praise) was that it was really really old and hard to find.

When did it come out? Where the fuck have I been?
I'm confused by your confusion. The original was done in 1974 and the remake everyone is praising came out in 2012.

My man!

They even do nostalgia better in Appmon.
5v6bcgi.gif

labx

Banned
Yeah ? my memory sucks way too much

Feels like Ikky should wear Virgo because he was the one who beat him in the sanctuary

Yep. Ikki wears Leo's Cloth because of his star sign. Shaun is Virgo; Ikki, Leo, Pegasus, Sagitarius; Hyoga Acuarius and Shyriu, Libra.

Fj0823

One of the things I liked about Saint Seiya Omega is how everyone receives new Cloths, except Ikki.

The writers then explained that they felt his Hades Saga Cloth is so OP it doesn't need to change form to go any further

That and female golds. Paradox was fucking robbed man.

Edit: Holy Fucking Shit, Saint Seiya Omega S2 with LatAm dub is airing in Panama, and it has a full recording of Jesus Barrero (RIP)'s lines!!!

kurahador

I guess I won't be seeing Eureka Seven AO

I don't understand why Eureka Seven was even loved in the first place. It's a series where they want you to hate everyone and abusing a kid is a form of love.
People talk as if it's the next EVA or something back then. RahXephon was alot better in that regard.

Kaiterra

Banned
I don't know if it's just the fact that it was much, much better than the terrible movie, and that I really was itching for some good Bones mecha anime after I watched Captain Earth kinda bumble around, but I actually liked Eureka Seven AO. It's not up there near the top for me, I may be overrating it some, but I actually liked it.

Did anyone watch Yatterman Night?

The Time Bokan series is pretty old, and the villains tended to outshine the protagonists (even in the live-action adaptation they make a spectacle of themselves), but running with the concept and reversing the role seems like an almost daring idea after so many iterations on the concept, I wonder how that turned out.

I was searching for mentions of this one. It was really good! It started out a lot stronger than it ended but it was still good. The first episode, I feel, is basically like the anime equivalent of the first few minutes of Up. Overall I liked Gatchaman Crowds/Insight better but this was very nice.

Tiger Mask W was cool as shit, with the over the top violence and the real NJPW wrestler cameos too. Mazinkaiser and Shin Mazinger Z were both really good too and I'm looking forward to the Mazinger Z movie.

I don't understand why Eureka Seven was even loved in the first place. It's a series where they want you to hate everyone and abusing a kid is a form of love.
People talk as if it's the next EVA or something back then. RahXephon was alot better in that regard.

RahXephon is AWESOME! It might be my top for this if you would count it as a revival of Raideen, even though it didn't use the IP.

Gonna have to join the other negative opinions about Rebuild. I mean part of my dislike for it is that it keeps showing up in Super Robot Wars with just parts 1 and 2 and thus barely a plot and no ending, and part 4 taking forever to come around, but like... Outside of looking AMAZING none of the new material is really as compelling as the original and the retreads are basically watered down from that. Also the pacing between the first and second movie is out of whack.

tuxfool

Banned

eh. Honestly people just like it because it had a certain style that wasn't ever replicated elsewhere. Also these days that kind of long form anime doesn't really exist any more. However anybody making a direct equivalence to EVA is a fool, regardless of whichever series they like more.

Kai sucks. Half the fun of Z was all the filler-based humor.

It also cuts down on the multiple episodes worth of "AHHHHHHHHHHHH" powering up too.

Though the Piccolo and Goku getting their drivers license episode was the worst cut. Watch Kai, standard Z is too long for its own good now that there is a replacement. The self contained one episode fillers are good, but some are multiple episodes long for no real reason.

Nightfall

It also cuts down on the multiple episodes worth of "AHHHHHHHHHHHH" powering up too.

Though the Piccolo and Goku getting their drivers license episode was the worst cut. Watch Kai, standard Z is too long for its own good now that there is a replacement. The self contained one episode fillers are good, but some are multiple episodes long for no real reason.

I'll watch Kai then and try to check out that drivers license episode.

Didn't know the new Digimon was terrible. Remember people being hyped about it because of Tsuritama? Makes sense I guess, no one talks about it now, and I still haven't seen it but I'm not curious to watch how bad it is.

Verelios

Didn't know the new Digimon was terrible. Remember people being hyped about it because of Tsuritama? Makes sense I guess, no one talks about it now, and I still haven't seen it but I'm not curious to watch how bad it is.
Be mildly conservative in your expectations and it'll be fine. But the drama burns so many fans souls that it might be a problem if you liked Adventures characterization.

Because they grew up and regressed into numemons.

faridmon

Its not bad.

Its just people had a big and/or different expectation. I enjoyed it for what it was and the art remained to be beautiful.

I personally, didn't enjoy Tsuritama that much. It was OK and the art was great, but the main story arc didn't anything for me

Ascheroth

Appmon is the better new Digimon. Tri is just awful.

Top Bottom