• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts - Demo on XBLM Now

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Who knew changing the text size would prove so expensive....

If this was a big seller, Microsoft wouldn't hesitate to ask Rare to make a patch. As it stands, I don't think Microsoft wants to "waste" the pecuniary resources to create a small patch that will help improve many a consumer's enjoyment of the new Banjo.

Doesn't affect me, but I'm disappointed. I appreciate George's honesty though.

clashfan

Darunia said:
What annoyed me wasn't the text size in the demo, but the speed at which it scrolled away! In the story sections those lines flew by really fast. What happened to putting an A button confirmation at the end of every text box

Yeah I found the text speed to be way too fast. I couldn't believe that went past QA.

Nicktals

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
I spend my posts in threads talking about games I enjoy. You spend your posts repeatedly going into threads to make the same complaint about a game you have no interest in buying. There is a very big difference.

Ones a waste of time? I find that to be a peculiar (and obviously extremely entrenched in this hard-core gamer frame of mind) viewpoint.

Also, your statement isn't accurate, but the big distinction I need to make is that no, I'm not going to buy it, but I'm still going to experience this game to a great degree, and I'm still going to love and enjoy a lot of it. The visuals and the story/writing, being the biggest two I plan on enjoying. I don't want to support a game monetarily that I don't support in game design. I want the next Banjo to be BK3, and I'm taking control in the only way I can, by not giving them my money. I still plan to experience the game, so I still plan to discuss the game. I still love the franchise, so I plan to discuss the franchise. Discuss, not make random derogatory comments on wasting one's time, or other such ridiculous things. If I spend my time literally staring at a wall, that should be none of your concern. I always back up my statements, so by no means am I trolling. I haven't made negative posts about gameplay in quite a while, and really I only strongly talked/discussed it in the first couple of threads. Most of my comments since then have been about how I love the art style, and how this is a gorgeous looking game.

Not trolling? Your "justified" comments consist of "this should have been a platformer." Over and over. And over.

Here are some tips:
1) The game is not a platformer.
2) Learn to accept it. This game is what it is and will not become something else because you keep complaining.
3) Learn to get over it.

You can "vote with your wallet" by not being an obnoxious douche.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
George K. said:
Unfortunately, this is an issue that doesn't look like it will get changed. I don't want to bore you with the technical side of things (I really don't understand it all myself), but the long and the short of it is that the text you see in the demo will be the same as that which you find in the retail version of the game.

I'm sorry that we weren't able to address this issue as nothing would please us more than turning all your complaints into gleeful responses, but it's simply something that's too expensive in terms of time, resources and money to alter.

Please don't kill me. This *doesn't* mean we don't care about or respect the community. This *does* mean that, when all's said and done, we're only human.
It can't be too dificult to at least stop the game from autoscrolling the text. It's a pain in the ass to read the text on an SDTV but at this speed it is absolutely impossible. If this also isn't possible could you at least offer a script of the game for download so that one can pause the game and look up the text? I usually don't care for screentexts but in case of a Banjo game it's a major thing...

BigDubs

George K. said:
Unfortunately, this is an issue that doesn't look like it will get changed. I don't want to bore you with the technical side of things (I really don't understand it all myself), but the long and the short of it is that the text you see in the demo will be the same as that which you find in the retail version of the game.

I'm sorry that we weren't able to address this issue as nothing would please us more than turning all your complaints into gleeful responses, but it's simply something that's too expensive in terms of time, resources and money to alter.

Please don't kill me. This *doesn't* mean we don't care about or respect the community. This *does* mean that, when all's said and done, we're only human.

Such a shame this problem got into the final game.

You think there'd surely there's a QA process at Rare/Microsoft to ensure legibility on SD screens.

What a f*ck up.

Nicktals

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Not trolling? Your "justified" comments consist of "this should have been a platformer." Over and over. And over.

Here are some tips:
1) The game is not a platformer.
2) Learn to accept it. This game is what it is and will not become something else because you keep complaining.
3) Learn to get over it.

1.) Agreed, but that was a subject of much (and at times quite interesting) debate.
2.) I've accepted that NaB won't have the gameplay I want for this franchise. I'd like to see this incessant complaining I've done lately.
3.) Over what? I plan on experiencing most of the game, so I'm not going to stop discussing it. I'm not sour. Rare took the game in a direction I don't want, so I'm not buying it, with hopes that it goes in a direction I enjoy in future installments.

BomFromPikeCreek said:

Doesn't make any sense, and contains a personal attack. That's all the response that statement deserves. In a perfect forum personal attacks would be bannable, but I don't have time to look at the ToS or care much right now.

EDIT: And to address your opening comment, "not trolling", I'm not trolling, and your representation of my comments is completely inaccurate. In the main thread I talked about this in, most of the discussion centered around how big of a deviation it actually was (vehicles simply replacing animals?), as time has gone on, most of my comments have been on how this may still be a great game, and a beautiful game, but how Banjo was simply plastered over the core game mechanic, and how I wish another IP had been used so that there could be a more tradition BK game. I always try to back up my viewpoint and thoughts as much as possible, and certainly to do so whenever asked.

George K. said:
I really don't know at this stage, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Again, I appreciate that this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I'd rather be up front and honest with you than spin you a line.

(Btw: believe you me, I sympathise for those of you with poor vision - I just had to have a corneal graft to save the sight in my right eye, that's why I've been off for the last three weeks.)
Definitely appreciate your honesty.

Nicktals

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
How do you plan "experiencing much of the game" without buying it?

And you said so yourself you've been complaining about the gameplay for months. I don't need to look up examples of something we already agree on.

So the only way I can complain about gameplay is to say "it's not a platformer" repeatedly? Again, completely inaccurate representation of most of my comments.

I plan on experiencing much of the game the same way I have up until now. Watching tons of video, reading impressions, and I plan to, when available, watch videos of every cutscene, every environment, and most likely the majority of the jiggy challenges. I'll also be interested in seeing some of the more interesting and effective vehicles to accomplish certain jiggy challenges.

I may watch a complete playthrough if I can find one, as well. So I'll be experiencing the soundtrack, the sound effects, the technology, the writing, the story, the humor, the character design, the art design, the level design, the challenge designs, and pretty much every other facet of the game, except the actual gameplay.

goldenpp72

Nicktals said:
So the only way I can complain about gameplay is to say "it's not a platformer" repeatedly? Again, completely inaccurate representation of most of my comments.

I plan on experiencing much of the game the same way I have up until now. Watching tons of video, reading impressions, and I plan to, when available, watch videos of every cutscene, every environment, and most likely the majority of the jiggy challenges. I'll also be interested in seeing some of the more interesting and effective vehicles to accomplish certain jiggy challenges.

I may watch a complete playthrough if I can find one, as well.

wow stfu

Nicktals

Banned
goldenpp72 said:

What? I shouldn't experience the parts of the game I'm interested in? Should you stfu because you buy the game so you can play it, or download the demo so you can play it? You enjoy the game the way you want, I'll enjoy it the way I want.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I start to wonder if Developers only use HDTV's when designing a game these days, Is it really that hard to test on SDTV's? I have a friend who probly wont be buying this game now not because he doesnt enjoy it but because he wont know wth to do with not being able to read the text on his SDTV.

Dead rising there was ocassionaly talking but with the Unique Banjo talk you are stuck with the text to know what to do. It is nice to see the honesty on why it mite not be fixed. But it is sad that my friend wont be able to fully enjoy it. You would think this would spread to other devs to check text.

FFChris

Yoshi said:
It can't be too dificult to at least stop the game from autoscrolling the text. It's a pain in the ass to read the text on an SDTV but at this speed it is absolutely impossible. If this also isn't possible could you at least offer a script of the game for download so that one can pause the game and look up the text? I usually don't care for screentexts but in case of a Banjo game it's a major thing...

It could be that the text is tied to the cutscenes. So the text moves along as the cutscene moves along, and that would require a lot of changing. Still sucks though, they really should have thought about it in the early stages of the game.

segarr

George K. said:
the short of it is that the text you see in the demo will be the same as that which you find in the retail version of the game.
Preorder canceled. Thanks for your honesty.

MCD

dirtmonkey37 said:
Who knew changing the text size would prove so expensive....

If this was a big seller, Microsoft wouldn't hesitate to ask Rare to make a patch. As it stands, I don't think Microsoft wants to "waste" the pecuniary resources to create a small patch that will help improve many a consumer's enjoyment of the new Banjo.

Doesn't affect me, but I'm disappointed. I appreciate George's honesty though.
a patch won't do, i believe the maximum file size for 360 game patches is 2mb.

this is why dead rising font size didn't get patched later on, i think it was more than 100mb which MS won't approve.

but i dunno if Banjo is gold yet or not but seeing how George K. already dismissed the idea, i guess it's already gold.

lynux3

Played this demo for the first time today and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but I'd rather play a graphically updated version of the first two games, to be honest.

MarkusRJR

segarr said:
Preorder canceled. Thanks for your honesty.
I was going to pre-order it this weekend (so I could get the pre-order bonus, and so I'd finally have a good reason to get a 360) but now I'm not going to either after I saw the text on an SDTV (I saw it at my friend's house. It was an unreadable blurry blob on his TV-although it IS a shitty 17" CRT TV). D:

I guess I'll get a 360 later... :(

Surfheart

Dash Kappei said:
I hope at least they fix the text's screen time... what about that one George?

Framerate got a little dodgy during the race when you were in the water. Anyone know if that's been improved in the retail version?

KevinCow

Banned
How does this kind of thing even happen? Seems like an absurdly HUGE oversight.

Microsoft should have some sort of thing for their approval whatsit like, "Game must be equally playable and fully tested in both SD and HD."

KevinCow said:
Microsoft should have some sort of thing for their approval whatsit like, "Game must be equally playable and fully tested in both SD and HD."
The strange thing is... they do. There was a thread discussing it recently.

fernoca

Don't know if this has been answered, but I'll bold it anyway, since my posts are ignored 99.9% of the time...

How's the "free" Banjo-Live Arcade code-thing going to be handled?

It's going to be inside the game/case? If so, any sticker or something in the front to identify that I got a copy with a code inside? or....

Given by the store employee the moment you pick the game? If so, will there be enough, since I don't want to either go to the store too early to be told they didn't got them..or too late and be informed that they ran out of codes, even when I preordered quite some time ago.

George K. said:

-1 preorder. Why release a game unplayable for so many people, it's bullshit.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
MCD said:
a patch won't do, i believe the maximum file size for 360 game patches is 2mb.

this is why dead rising font size didn't get patched later on, i think it was more than 100mb which MS won't approve.

but i dunno if Banjo is gold yet or not but seeing how George K. already dismissed the idea, i guess it's already gold.

A patch to increase the text size would not be anywhere near 100MB. It's just lines of code that restructure the text-box and the text size--that should be well under 2MB.

JRW

I dont have any issues with the text (im assuming this is a non-hdtv issue) but it seems kind of absurd that they cant at least patch it afterwards?

Although Capcom got a ton of complaints with Dead Rising for the same issue and it never got fixed.. Perhaps its not as easy of a fix as it seems.

Nose Master

PataHikari said:
Build better vehicles.

I don't really think that would help much, it's kind of the physics. You clip anything, and your vehicle does a fucking 180. Really obnoxious during that soccer game. It's not like I was using the shitty trolley the whole time. The entire game is just, meh. The world is fine and dandy but all the objectives were pretty awful.

Nose Master said:
I don't really think that would help much, it's kind of the physics. You clip anything, and your vehicle does a fucking 180. Really obnoxious during that soccer game. It's not like I was using the shitty trolley the whole time. The entire game is just, meh. The world is fine and dandy but all the objectives were pretty awful.

Again.

Build better vehicles.

The fact that your vehicle is so unbalanced means it sucks.

Surfheart

dirtmonkey37 said:
A patch to increase the text size would not be anywhere near 100MB. It's just lines of code that restructure the text-box and the text size--that should be well under 2MB.

Unless the font is a bitmap?

Kuroyume

Banned
I had a lot of trouble with the vehicles when I first played the demo, but eventually I figured out how to work with them. You have to adapt your driving to work with the way they handle.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
PataHikari said:
Again.

Build better vehicles.

The fact that your vehicle is so unbalanced means it sucks.
Nah, he has a point. The controls felt kind of loose. I found it hard to believe that it was the same company that made Diddy Kong Racing. But that's more of a slight disappointment than a dealbreaker. I think this game has the potential to really shine when there is more planning and strategy required for a mission. And more action as well.

WrikaWrek said:
I don't know, with all the Casual craze, and Pixar stuff, you would think MS would market the shit out of this.

Thats what i thought about lbp here in the uk but i dont think ive seen an ad for it on tv yet and its out today. For the most part the most ads ive seen are the new xbox ads and fallout 3 ads with avivable on xbox at the end, cant remeber the last ps3 ad i have seen even ninty seem a bit quite on tv not in print mind ninty is all over the place.

PSGames

People love to over-exaggerate. Sure you might miss out on some dialog here and there because the text scrolling speed is inconsistent.
But not being able to play missions like some here are claiming? Give me a break :lol The text does NOT autoscroll during the mission briefing
and you have to press 'A' before it will let you start the mission. Shitty cellphone pic:

s6ozk6.jpg

I don't see how anyone could have a problem with this. Text is just fine during missions. It's the auto scroll during certain dialog that's the problem. Hardly a 'deal breaker'.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Surfheart said:
Unless the font is a bitmap?

Why would they do that? That takes up much more space than normal fonts...

At this point though, I'l concede: I have no idea whether the font is a bitmap.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
PSGames said:
People love to over-exaggerate. Sure you might miss out on some dialog here and there because the text scrolling speed is inconsistent.
But not being able to play missions like some here are claiming? Give me a break :lol The text does NOT autoscroll during the mission briefing
and you have to press 'A' before it will let you start the mission. Shitty cellphone pic:

I don't see how anyone could have a problem with this. Text is just fine during missions. It's the auto scroll during certain dialog that's the problem. Hardly a 'deal breaker'.
It was only a problem for SDTV owners (and that looks like a pretty nice HDTV).

For those still stuck with SD, you can get XBox 360 VGA cables and a female->female gender changer for less than $15 shipped. That will allow you to play on a computer monitor. And if the minor inconvenience of moving the XBox is too much then you probably weren't too interested in N&B to begin with.

Does anyone have any idea if the challenges are mainly races/checkpoint time trial runs? I am hoping that there are more puzzle type missions instead of simple go from point A to point B as fast as possible type challenges. After playing Mirror's Edge demo I am so torn on getting this or that. Arg.

SapientWolf said:
Nah, he has a point. The controls felt kind of loose. I found it hard to believe that it was the same company that made Diddy Kong Racing. But that's more of a slight disappointment than a dealbreaker. I think this game has the potential to really shine when there is more planning and strategy required for a mission. And more action as well.

Nope. You will have wayy more options in building your vehicle than you have in the demo. One of the bad parts is the first wheels you get is stupidly default. That majorly effects your handling and the vehicles virtual weight and handling. You get better parts to build a more stable vehicle for the situation. The default wheels you get in the game isnt made for the challemges they give you in the demo. Pure & Simple.

Top Bottom