• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we acknowledge that Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts was a great game and under appreciated?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts was severely hated on when it came out and I never understood why. I feel like it can stand just as tall with its other games in the series.

1 - The humor is the same as the other games in the series. It was always corny and groan inducing, which is part of the charm.
2 - The level themes were pretty cool.
3 - The gameplay was fantastic. Vehicle building was TOP NOTCH, with tons of options and fun little interactions. It's a shame people hated it so much, because it truly was inventive.

I had a blast playing the game. It was even fun trying to sequence break. Hopefully we can all acknowledge that it was a great game.

ssringo

Friends Tv No GIF

never played any of them, just shit posting

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
1 - The humor is the same as the other games in the series. It was always corny and groan inducing, which is part of the charm.
No, it’s not. The humour in N&B is wank.

2 - The level themes were pretty cool.
Some of them were really good, I thought Banjo-land and the one that’s inside a 360 were really shite though.

3 - The gameplay was fantastic. Vehicle building was TOP NOTCH, with tons of options and fun little interactions. It's a shame people hated it so much, because it truly was inventive.
Yes, the gameplay was great.

I had a blast playing the game. It was even fun trying to sequence break. Hopefully we can all acknowledge that it was a great game.
Yes. It’s a great game.

kiphalfton

Yikes. When it's been so long since a new game has come out in a series, that people start thinking the weakest entry in a series is better than it actually was.

Raven77

I need to tell you right off the bat that you are conversing with a banjo kazooie superfan. I have the soundtrack on vinyl from the original N64 game. I have beaten banjo kazooie one and two at least 10 times each.

So I have thought a lot about nuts and bolts. Allow me to summarize years of thought into one sentence. Banjo and kazooie nuts and bolts is a great game, but it is not a great banjo and kazooie game.

It's simply not the game that fans wanted. But also argue your point about the level design being great. Some of the level designs were actually very not great, especially the one where you're inside the computer. However the vehicle construction was amazing and I still play nuts and bolts to this day occasionally.

It is a top 5 xbox 360 games. So many of the building aspects that people love about the new zelda can actually be found here. One of the best looking 360 games as well

I wouldn’t put it at Top 5, but then again I’m the guy who finally bought a 360 in 2008 and one of the first games I got for it was a used copy of Lost Odyssey. LOL. (GOAT-tier game, btw)

I agree, the graphics were really good for the time. Rare was always good at getting more out of a system and using features other devs never did, and creating something visually striking, and different.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
It is a top 5 xbox 360 games. So many of the building aspects that people love about the new zelda can actually be found here. One of the best looking 360 games as well
That's why I made the thread. No one is Tears shit for it.

acm2000

it was good but not great, the banjo fans hated it because they wanted just another cookie cutter boring collectathon platformer and not something new and unique

Rodolink

it's a great game, playing tears of the kingdom i feel some flashbacks from nuts and bolts.
only problem is we wanted a banjo kazooie have in line with the previous entries.

Cashon

Banned
I really wanted to like this game when it came out, and probably played about 25% of it, but at the end of the day, I do not like games that require creative building. I don't like Minecraft, I have no interest in Tears of the Kingdom, and I didn't like this game.

Furthermore, the whole time I was playing, I kept thinking, "Man... I really wish this were just a great platformer." I especially thought this when retrying it on the One X a few years ago, after seeing how good it looked.

I don't even care that they turned Banjo into a vehicle-building game... I just don't like this kind of gameplay.

TexMex

They should be applauded for the extreme pivot and risk. Really original idea. It’s just that I wouldn’t trade it for a great and proper Banjo 3. Should have been a new IP - and maybe they wanted it to be too, just can’t ignore the free built in brand recognition.

Robb

Gold Member
Nah, they should’ve just made another good platformer. Instead they killed the entire franchise.

RickMasters

Mechanically yes. It’s a good game. I think the mistake, was skinning it as a banjo game. Should have been it’s own IP with its own characters. It might have been its own thing.

MagnesD3

Acknowledge how great Banjo Tooie is first and then we can maybe think about apprecting that abomination of a fake banjo game. 👀

Not really. It was a pretty mediocre to average game to begin with. Then you add that it wasnt the type of game that banjo fans were really looking for at the time. Feel like it's overall properly rated

Rockondevil

I enjoyed it though not necessarily in the same way as the previous games.
Must’ve done something right for TOTK to do the same. 😉

MAtgS

NO

-Shitty driving physics combined with overly cluttered environments makes simply driving around a pain in the ass. Like seriously, do the people who praise this game actually play it?

-Tedious going back and forth between the game and the garage. Remember back in 2008 we didn't have disc install yet and have to sit through 2 long load screens everytime I needed to make a tiny adjustment. Which is pretty much EVERY challenge, sometimes multiple times a challenge.
It. Got. Old.

-The longest game in the series with the fewest worlds. It dragged way too damn long for it's own good.

-Did every single jiggy challenge HAD to be timed? Like what for?

I played the game to it's end credits and hated it the entire time. It only ever got worse as it went on. There were stretches of time where I focused on jingo collecting or whatever else I could do besides jiggy challenges because I was actually putting those off

I really hate this line of thinking that’s come out re: TotK and Nuts and Bolts. Like yes, vehicle building is cool, but it’s not the entire purpose of the game. If they made Banjo Threeie as a proper amazing platforming adventure, with vehicle building, people would’ve loved it. But it was just a vehicle building game no one wanted.

Saber

Gold Member
No.
And I talk as someone who actually played the game quite often when I used to play my xbox360.
Nope, the game was a mess and tried too hard this build stuff crap idea, which completelly destroy any sense of fun and enjoyment thanks to its ridiculous challenges and poor world design from some areas.

I used to just explore the first stage because it was big and good to explore, but just that.
The game has some cool musics, but others were just a cluster mix of old ones that sounds like a musical mess.

Last edited:

MAtgS

It's great. It's a good fusion between vehicle building and the old gameplay.
What fusion? There is no old gameplay. The entire game forces you to use vehicles

This game was dragged through the mud so Tears of the Tiktok Kingdom could get worshipped.

Let's not act like it's a 1-to-1 comparison. ToTK doesn't require any building in the open world, shrines yes, but those are smaller scale builds that's compareable to the puzzle solving of any other Zelda game. I have done virtually no building in the 100 hours I've put into it so far. Also TotK doesn't make you sit through 2 loading screens just to get to the building & driving. Have I mentioned how much I hated those load times? If Sonic 06 gets shitted on for excess load times, so should N&B.

Top Bottom